IGNORED

Jon Lansdown

Henry

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

What a lot of guff

Ethically at odds, so has he done anything wrong, how long has he been in Bermuda, did he break lock down rules? you have no more idea than I do but quite happy to presume much, just to slag him off.

Full time paid role, so you know he is full time?, If SL want's JL within the club to oversee then do not see a problem as SL under-rights the losses and therefore any payment to JL. With the wonders of modern technology it does not mean he is not in touch or a party to what is going on as does not need to be physically sat at AG.  As for tax exile, wow there is a leap, from buying what looks like a very nice house and may have business interests, does not make him a tax exile.

We know that JL is full filling a roll for SL, maybe its one that is not even needed as you have a CEO running the business that reports to SL, but fail to understand the indignation of some on here about JL. 

Of course if he was here and involved the same people would be slagging off the fact he knows nothing about football, not fit to be chairman and should not be involved, so cant win.

FWIW I am pleased we have the son of our billionaire owner is also a supporter of the club involved and interested in the future of the club and does not matter if he is full or part time, but no doubt you would be happier with some faceless Asian syndicate with a lot of money on paper or a fake sheikh

Most people would just be happy with someone with ambition, doesn’t have to be Asian or sheikh 

It certainly doesn't look good being in the Bermudas during a pandemic while your organisation goes pear shaped, but the ultimate job of the chair is to select and hold to account the chief executive.     H / She only needs to attend board meetings in most organisations.

His CEO has had a shocking 12 months.

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Sorry ambition is not enough, you need to have a hell of a lot of money and be prepared to chuck a lot away, not many lining up to do that

The old saying goes that if you want to make a small fortune from owning a football club, start with a big one.

45 minutes ago, petehinton said:

broadly speaking the Chairman's job is to manage & oversee the board, whatever that entails day to day, who knows? A lot of overseeing/broader planning, but judging by MA's character I would guess he has free reign to do whatever

Honestly, in my experience of helping Chairmen and non-exec directors do their jobs it entails little more than reviewing documents and materials to be presented at a board or shareholder meeting, turning up to and chairing those meetings (which will have actually been organised by the solicitors and Company Secretary), and then signing any documents, resolutions, or other forms that need signing. They might also be the person who puts their name on press releases or market announcements, but that would more often be the CEO. Chairman is generally a pretty passive role until the executive board starts to behave in a way that may breach their fiduciary duties, then it becomes more active.

4 hours ago, billywedlock said:

This should be of great concern to the owner.

Who has been leaking these items ? Someone is briefing the press directly on this. It was also noted by people on here how Gregor had suddenly got bold with his criticism of the team and in particular Holden. He has been outspoken on the team and Holden. Historically a punchy article was followed by a sickly positive one. 

Come on Gregor, what about an article about the poor player recruitment results, that we are signing 30 plus year olds, that are injury prone. How about an article on that topic. Hopefully his mole will be as forthcoming. 

But Steve L really needs to find who has been leaking information and fire them. 

Hope it’s not Maggie then! :shocking:

27 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Honestly, in my experience of helping Chairmen and non-exec directors do their jobs it entails little more than reviewing documents and materials to be presented at a board or shareholder meeting, turning up to and chairing those meetings (which will have actually been organised by the solicitors and Company Secretary), and then signing any documents, resolutions, or other forms that need signing. They might also be the person who puts their name on press releases or market announcements, but that would more often be the CEO. Chairman is generally a pretty passive role until the executive board starts to behave in a way that may breach their fiduciary duties, then it becomes more active.

I worked for a public sector organisation where our chairman was instrumental in 'moving on' two CEOs as a result of evidence that they failed to manage in a manner that met with the organisation's values - allegedly. We're talking here about an unacceptable approach to managing people against objectives. 

No reason why our chairman can't be proactive around the CEO role as far as I can see. 

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I worked for a public sector organisation where our chairman was instrumental in 'moving on' two CEOs as a result of evidence that they failed to manage in a manner that met with the organisation's values - allegedly. We're talking here about an unacceptable approach to managing people against objectives. 

No reason why our chairman can't be proactive around the CEO role as far as I can see. 

Totally fair point. Maybe because I was advising private and public companies I saw a slightly more chummy culture and more ceremonial/passive Chairmen.

I think I made the point earlier that I'd prefer a truly independent Chairman. Give JL an executive role, where he's accountable and has to work, and employ an independent non-exec Chairman to oversee the board. I don't think that will happen whilst the club remains in private hands, but IMO it would be best practice from a corporate governance perspective.

I'd add though, that if JL is fulfilling a traditional Chairman's role, then I would expect him to be able to do so from Bermuda, from Guernsey, or from an office at Failand or AG. 

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

The chair is usually responsible for selecting the CEO 

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

What a lot of guff

Ethically at odds, so has he done anything wrong, how long has he been in Bermuda, did he break lock down rules? you have no more idea than I do but quite happy to presume much, just to slag him off.

Full time paid role, so you know he is full time?, If SL want's JL within the club to oversee then do not see a problem as SL under-rights the losses and therefore any payment to JL. With the wonders of modern technology it does not mean he is not in touch or a party to what is going on as does not need to be physically sat at AG.  As for tax exile, wow there is a leap, from buying what looks like a very nice house and may have business interests, does not make him a tax exile.

We know that JL is full filling a roll for SL, maybe its one that is not even needed as you have a CEO running the business that reports to SL, but fail to understand the indignation of some on here about JL. 

Of course if he was here and involved the same people would be slagging off the fact he knows nothing about football, not fit to be chairman and should not be involved, so cant win.

FWIW I am pleased we have the son of our billionaire owner is also a supporter of the club involved and interested in the future of the club and does not matter if he is full or part time, but no doubt you would be happier with some faceless Asian syndicate with a lot of money on paper or a fake sheikh

I can't quite work out if this is serious or a mickey take?

You lost me by saying I'm making "a leap" in suggesting that a Billionaire's son might be purchasing a house in Bermuda, which was named by Oxfam as the world's worst corporate tax haven and blacklisted by the EU primarily for tax reasons. It's not as if his family have ever made similar moves in the past either?

Despite the fact that he is the Chairman of BCFC and Bristol Sport you are clearly as clueless as the rest of us as to what his role entails and and what he does. This answers my point exactly. 

Lastly, I'm not sure I understand quite why it has to be a straight up choice between a "faceless Asian syndicate" , "fake sheikh" or the son of a Billionaire with no credentials to be the Bristol City Chairman either? Keep on tugging that forelock though Sir.

My god - I've just watched the press conference where Holden gets inaugurated by Ashton and Lansdown - I've posted the link on another thread so won't bother again, but at the end of it john lansdown is left on his own and is asked, why have you appointed another assistant manager - it hasn't worked before.   He basically says we're a totally different set up now,  we run like a machine, so we can take the risk of someone without experience being Head Coach,  

23 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

You lost me by saying I'm making "a leap" in suggesting that a Billionaire's son might be purchasing a house in Bermuda, which was named by Oxfam as the world's worst corporate tax haven and blacklisted by the EU primarily for tax reasons. It's not as if his family have ever made similar moves in the past either?

Despite the fact that he is the Chairman of BCFC and Bristol Sport you are clearly as clueless as the rest of us as to what his role entails and and what he does. This answers my point exactly. 

Lastly, I'm not sure I understand quite why it has to be a straight up choice between a "faceless Asian syndicate" , "fake sheikh" or the son of a Billionaire with no credentials to be the Bristol City Chairman either? Keep on tugging that forelock though Sir.

No, just get a bid fed up with people wanting to snipe at JL for the sake of it, slinging any half truths and making up what they don't know as it sounds good.

Again unless you know JL, you have no clue on his motive for a house in Bermuda, but because it can be a tax heaven, he's guilty as charged. 

Not sure why JL's role needs to be explained to you me or anyone else, perhaps if you try reading some of the other posts about what a chairman is then you may find the end of the world has not come that he is not here, especially as we all know that any major decisions are signed off by SL, 

As for tugging the forelock, well sorry I am grateful to have the Lansdown family happy to keep funding and supporting BCFC, because without them we could just as easily been slumming it like our neighbours down the road.

1 minute ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Both of those teams have owners who haven’t fronted as much as sl , instead they recruit well and get the job done unlike our hierarchy who just fanny around cluelessly 

That is also only 2 from how many teams that have been trying?

Easy to pick a winner once the race has finished or easy to say what should have been done.

We all want the same thing and sure SL does, as he is the one signing the cheques, lets hope they can learn from past mistakes

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

That is also only 2 from how many teams that have been trying?

Easy to pick a winner once the race has finished or easy to say what should have been done.

We all want the same thing and sure SL does, as he is the one signing the cheques, lets hope they can learn from past mistakes

Ok then you can add Cardiff and Leeds who didn’t spend a lot on players just recruited a decent manager who turned league one players like Stuart Dallas into regular prem players

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Ok then you can add Cardiff and Leeds who didn’t spend a lot on players just recruited a decent manager who turned league one players like Stuart Dallas into regular prem players

Do you have the figures what they spent? as would be interesting for comparisons as I still thought Leeds spend a lot more than us, equally I am sure you will also find many clubs that have spent more and not made it.

What's not in dispute is a good manager can make the difference and the hopefully this time we get one.

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Do you have the figures what they spent? as would be interesting for comparisons as I still thought Leeds spend a lot more than us, equally I am sure you will also find many clubs that have spent more and not made it.

What's not in dispute is a good manager can make the difference and the hopefully this time we get one.

4092E2CD-3752-4A64-BC47-7AB759AE58BA.png

51CCCD70-A4D6-4F88-B8BA-4F24EE82EB00.png

1 hour ago, redordead1 said:

The amount of tax that our utterly useless footballers pay from their salaries direct to the Treasurer to support those unable to support themselves (either through no fault of their own - in which case fully justified funding and they should get more - or, via totally irresponsible decision-making in which case cut their balls off) is eye-wateringly massive. 

Effectively, as Steve directly funds this horrendously loss-making activity of employing ‘professional footballers’ he pays -albeit indirectly - a tax bill that could fund a small Country. Everything we pay for in support of our ‘beloved’ Club gets taxed at 20% as well.

So a football club is a very nice little earner for the Treasury and a good job rich guys like Steve fund them. I doubt myself whether the Treasury derives as much from Hargreaves who, I assume, is a tax-paying UK resident, as they do indirectly from Steve. 

Personally, I’m more than happy he spends his cash in the way he chooses. Not only on my football club but on conservation charities in Africa. If I had the money, it’s exactly the priorities I would pick as well rather than funding taxes to be spent on things like subsidised bars and restaurants in the Houses of Parliament and the obscene wages of MPs etc.

Joining this thread a bit late so apologies if this has already been covered

But where is Jon Lansdown? What does he even do? What actually is the point of a chairman if he goes missing at a time like this?

He has zero leadership qualities, no charisma whatsoever, no qualification for the job, currently resides 5000 miles away, and presumably earns a good crust while bringing absolutely nothing to the party at all as far as I can tell.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

4092E2CD-3752-4A64-BC47-7AB759AE58BA.png

51CCCD70-A4D6-4F88-B8BA-4F24EE82EB00.png

That shows the club's operating loss for one year, but back to the discussion was trying to compare value of players to achieve promotion,

Just had a look on transfer market (not sure how accurate it is), but looking over the 3 year period before Leeds were promoted 2016-19, leeds had a -£14.7 million expenditure on players as apposed to city had +£9.5 million, so £24 million difference, guess the difference is we sold or best players where as Leeds did not. I  know you and others are much more into these figures, so may be totally wrong, also a case of if we needed to or not.

19 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

But where is Jon Lansdown? What does he even do? What actually is the point of a chairman if he goes missing at a time like this?

He has zero leadership qualities, no charisma whatsoever, no qualification for the job, currently resides 5000 miles away, and presumably earns a good crust while bringing absolutely nothing to the party at all as far as I can tell.

If and when he inherits the club properly, gut feeling is things will get worse.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Excellent manager IMO but I certainly do get the idea. Wilder another great example, how far forward he took Sheffield United- perhaps even pound for pound a better job than Bielsa? Both did top work however.

Warnock did very well but still had benefit of Parachute Payments for 2016/17 and 2017/18.

18 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

But but but as @sh1t_ref_again says we have to be ever so grateful for the Lansdown’s and mustn’t dare question Steve’s decision to place his son as the chair irrespective of his lack of qualifications and blatant lack of leadership skills..

Just put up and shut up init and be glad so glad that we have oh wonderful Sir Steve as our owner ?

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Excellent manager IMO but I certainly do get the idea. Wilder another great example, how far forward he took Sheffield United- perhaps even pound for pound a better job than Bielsa? Both did top work however.

Warnock did very well but still had benefit of Parachute Payments for 2016/17 and 2017/18.

Yeh agree , Cardiff had parachute payments but didn’t sign anyone of note , just some Cheap shithousing players who fit there system and style

29 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

That shows the club's operating loss for one year, but back to the discussion was trying to compare value of players to achieve promotion,

Just had a look on transfer market (not sure how accurate it is), but looking over the 3 year period before Leeds were promoted 2016-19, leeds had a -£14.7 million expenditure on players as apposed to city had +£9.5 million, so £24 million difference, guess the difference is we sold or best players where as Leeds did not. I  know you and others are much more into these figures, so may be totally wrong, also a case of if we needed to or not.

Sorry, thought you were on about budgets.

Transfermarkt transfer fees need to be taken with a pinch of salt, and also will have “?” too, so not a true reflection.

What was your original question, and I will see if I can answer it better.  I might not be able to though.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, thought you were on about budgets.

Transfermarkt transfer fees need to be taken with a pinch of salt, and also will have “?” too, so not a true reflection.

What was your original question, and I will see if I can answer it better.  I might not be able to though.

amount of money spent by clubs on players to get promoted, so to build a squad I looked at for instance Leeds the 3 years prior to promotion

16 minutes ago, bris red said:

But but but as @sh1t_ref_again says we have to be ever so grateful for the Lansdown’s and mustn’t dare question Steve’s decision to place his son as the chair irrespective of his lack of qualifications and blatant lack of leadership skills..

Just put up and shut up init and be glad so glad that we have oh wonderful Sir Steve as our owner ?

Perhaps some of us appreciate what the Landowns have done for the club and whilst I can understand questioning some of the decisions or criticism ( I also think mistakes have been made) its the constant unfounded dross and snide remarks for the sake of it that I and others get fed up of.

But its a forum so you can talk as much sh1t as you want.

Although a number of poster seem to want rid or are very critical of what they do, which is always easy with hindsight or whilst only being furnished with some of the facts and reasoning behind decisions, but are never able to offer an viable alternative.

Archived