IGNORED

Jon Lansdown

Henry

39 minutes ago, Harry R said:

I used to work with Jon at HL when we were both in our early 20s and, for what it's worth, the caricature of him on here is completely unfair.

He was a humble and shy bloke who was smart and capable. As a City fan, he had all the same memories as me - someone who started watching the club in the early 90s - and he went home and away, often preferring to sit in the away end than the directors' box.

I think the club got it very wrong with Holden, and Jon clearly shares responsibility for that, but the personal stuff and the complete guesswork about who he is and what he's like should be called out for the nonsense that it is.

I have spoken with Jon a number of times over the years, both informally and formally in my role as Chair of the Supporters Club & Trust. I have always found him to be a genuinely nice guy who looks out for people and has a big heart for charitable initiatives. He clearly has interests in sports other than football, however, Bristol City runs through his veins. He is not one to jump to a quick decision by the way.

I do, however, think it would be hugely beneficial to clarify his role. Whether that is full-time or part-time, operational or non-operational, and how this impacts the big decisions that most affect fans and the overall performance of the football club.

11 hours ago, Cardy said:

Maybe he is now the Head Scout checking out our next Bermudan international?

Our Senior Scout has been relieved of his position in the past week or so (Griffin)

10 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"Pursuing business interests" my arse. 

Actually it was persuing personal interests.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We had our anniversary meal in the restaurant of the hotel owned by Michael Douglas & Catherine Zeta Jones. It was memorable for sure, but my 10% tip would have bought me a 3 course meal anywhere else I have eaten. :)

A friend of mine’s sister used to be their nanny, and she said CZJ and MD were really down to earth (bearing in mind their status) as a couple.

1 hour ago, Harry R said:

I used to work with Jon at HL when we were both in our early 20s and, for what it's worth, the caricature of him on here is completely unfair.

He was a humble and shy bloke who was smart and capable. As a City fan, he had all the same memories as me - someone who started watching the club in the early 90s - and he went home and away, often preferring to sit in the away end than the directors' box.

I think the club got it very wrong with Holden, and Jon clearly shares responsibility for that, but the personal stuff and the complete guesswork about who he is and what he's like should be called out for the nonsense that it is.

My wife used to work with him at that time too, and certainly expressed the same, that he was a rather shy individual. 
I don’t think many people are questioning his character - I’ve met him a few times, he’s a nice chap.

I think what people are questioning is his ability to run a football club. Which he can’t. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

My wife used to work with him at that time too, and certainly expressed the same, that he was a rather shy individual. 
I don’t think many people are questioning his character - I’ve met hm a few times, he’s a nice chap.

I think what people are questioning is his ability to run a football club. Which he can’t. 

I think questioning it is fair, but the manner its done on here is incredibly harsh ie all the comments of only being good for using crayons etc

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I think questioning it is fair, but the manner its done on here is incredibly harsh ie all the comments of only being good for using crayons etc

I genuinely think those are just tongue in cheek comments rather than a character assassination. 

35 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Don't confuse Hotel beaches with Public ones. There are two, but only one is of any size.

You'd soon know the difference if you wern't an obvious tourist.

Which you obviously were.

Locals get turfed from Hotel beaches PDQ

Lived in Quarry Rd for a year , worked at the Bank Of Butterfield, which is a bit different to  going on holiday.

House on the right. The tourists used to come off their rented scooters on the corner of Harrington Sound Rd daily.?

Much to the locals amusement.

Seriously - it was a real dump.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a70d84dd4eb39c57849284f716d1d7af.JPG

No. Never stayed in a hotel with a beach, yes we were there as tourists but we have always tried to do things a little differently. 

We found three good beaches, with the help of the locals. The one we used to avoid was the one that all the cruise ship tourists were directed to, only two more stops on the bus was Jobson's Cove, which was our favourite. 

There was also the added bonus of being there at the right time to meet the Goat. :) 

P1010055.JPG

Jobsons Cove.jpg

meeting the goat.jpg

Just now, Harry said:

I genuinely think those are just tongue in cheek comments rather than a character assassination. 

Some obviously are, but I think you can see some who use it as a genuine way to demean the guy believing all he takes an interest in is designing kits for City and leaving the rest for others 

Just now, Lrrr said:

Some obviously are, but I think you can see some who use it as a genuine way to demean the guy believing all he takes an interest in is designing kits for City and leaving the rest for others 

I don’t think anyone thinks that all he does is design kits. It’s just a tongue in cheek comment. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t think many people are questioning his character - I’ve met him a few times, he’s a nice chap.

Like others I’ve met JL and chatted with him informally and he is a really a decent guy. However how much actual Input does he have in running the football club? 

Surely MA as the CEO is the main man who does the hiring and firing and the guy we are supposed to hear from?

We very rarely hear from JL as chairman and why I use the word invisible.

38 minutes ago, Harry R said:

Sorry this is all of his and his father's own making.

A supposed shy, humble and smart person does not leave the country in the middle of a pandemic to buy multi-million dollar properties in a tax haven, whilst in such a public role.

A shy, humble and smart person does not willingly embrace nepotism and accept a full time, paid role of Chairman at Bristol City (handed to him without warrant or any justification) and then shirk away to live in Bermuda for months on end without taking any responsibility for leading the club out of the complete shambles his family has contributed to.

A shy, humble and smart person would realise that the country is in the grips of the worst pandemic in a lifetime, would show some iota of empathy and understand that being in the highly privileged and public position they find themselves in, they would be better served showing solidarity, following the government advice and staying in the country, rather than buying multI-million dollar properties when many (including large numbers of club employees) have lost their jobs.

A shy, humble and smart person in his position would show empathy with the tens of thousand of hard working supporters of this club, realise their own obvious shortcomings, resign and hand the reigns over to someone who deserves the position, can lead from the front and help the club reach it's potential.

As others have said, the club need to finally show the supporters some respect and clarify what his position is and why he justifies a salary at the very least.

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

No. Never stayed in a hotel with a beach, yes we were there as tourists but we have always tried to do things a little differently. 

We found three good beaches, with the help of the locals. The one we used to avoid was the one that all the cruise ship tourists were directed to, only two more stops on the bus was Jobson's Cove, which was our favourite. 

There was also the added bonus of being there at the right time to meet the Goat. :) 

P1010055.JPG

Jobsons Cove.jpg

meeting the goat.jpg

Shaun was genuinely respected - did a lot for the youth, and was coach of one of the four(?) 'major' teams on the island.

Glad you got off the beaten track - there was much more to see and do than visit Front St and the Fort.

My missus got the job with the Bermudian Health Dept, I was a glorified data clerk as the salary was too low for locals to bother! 

Best bit was for the kids - they spent a year as the only 2 white kids in the local primary school - they learned a lot about being comfortable with people, not seeing skin colour - and they never had a moments grief for being white.

Great experience for them.

The locals all ended up miserable though!

3 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

A supposed shy, humble and smart person does not leave the country in the middle of a pandemic to buy multi-million dollar properties in a tax haven, whilst in such a public role.

A shy, humble and smart person does not willingly embrace nepotism and accept a full time, paid role of Chairman at Bristol City (handed to him without warrant or any justification) and then shirk away to live in Bermuda for months on end without taking any responsibility for leading the club out of the complete shambles his family has contributed to.

A shy, humble and smart person would realise that the country is in the grips of the worst pandemic in a lifetime, would show some iota of empathy and understand that being in the highly privileged and public position they find themselves in, they would be better served showing solidarity, following the government advice and staying in the country, rather than buying multI-million dollar properties when many (including large numbers of club employees) have lost their jobs.

A shy, humble and smart person in his position would show empathy with the tens of thousand of hard working supporters of this club, realise their own obvious shortcomings, resign and hand the reigns over to someone who deserves the position, can lead from the front and help the club reach it's potential.

As others have said, the club need to finally show the supporters some respect and clarify what his position is and why he justifies a salary at the very least.

We stopped being supporters when the stadium got redeveloped. That was the final transition from fans to customers.

This was evidenced in full when we drew Man Utd in the league Cup and the club jettisoned any two-way loyalty.

Failure to behave like an organisation with a genuine desire to host games like that on a regular basis, they took every opportunity to fleece their loyal patrons with a 'special' opportunity to spend a shed load more cash in things you would have already paid for. 

Use the sports bar on a Tuesday night league game in Feb? Thanks. We appreciate you spending your hard earned at the club, rather than an independent pub. For the United game, give us a fortune for a slice of pizza and the chance to stand in a crowded room.

@headhunter & @Davefevs

It really surprises me that on the FB pod, when Ian was positing a theory about Steve L considering selling up (and I see the logic), that nobody considered another assumed factor: Jon L is heir to the Bristol Sport throne, and what ardent City fan/employee in their right mind would walk away from the opportunity to be the owner of the club?!
Everything Jon L does as Chairman at City is surely the groundwork to prepare him for his accession?!

Steve L turns 69 this year and do we expect him to want to continue to make the big decisions past 75? I think he hands the responsibility down to his son in the next 5 to 7 years.

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

@headhunter & @Davefevs

It really surprises me that on the FB pod, when Ian was positing a theory about Steve L considering selling up (and I see the logic), that nobody considered another assumed factor: Jon L is heir to the Bristol Sport throne, and what ardent City fan/employee in their right mind would walk away from the opportunity to be the owner of the club?!
Everything Jon L does as Chairman at City is surely the groundwork to prepare him for his accession?!

Steve L turns 69 this year and do we expect him to want to continue to make the big decisions past 75? I think he hands the responsibility down to his son in the next 5 to 7 years.

(Guessing) one who might not think he’s the right bloke to do so?

I’ve no idea what SL’s plan is but paying off / restructuring the mortgage could be seen as simplifying any future sale.

46 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

To add to this:

Would a shy and humble person go on camera and dismiss fans/customers criticism as “noise” and how you need to “block out that noise” ? Because that’s the opposite.  

Would a shy and humble person in a senior position at ANY company troll it’s customers on social media and expect to be in that position for very long? 

What I really want is both Lansdowns to be honest with themselves and admit that they've taken some pretty terrible decisions around Bristol City. 

I'm not personally attacking them. They aren't stupid. Steve's obviously proved what a smart cookie he is by doing something very few people can - build a huge multinational company from scratch. Jon doesn't strike me as dim either. 

However, no one is good at everything.  I have a way with words that I've used to make a living. I'm also a pretty good project manager. I'm rubbish at DIY though. Not much of a practical bod at all.

Steve and Jon need to take a look in the mirror and admit to themselves that they aren't going to arrive at the right decisions without some extra help from people really embedded in the game. Not some bloke who never played first team football and has a track record of failure as an executive at other clubs. 

They need a proper football man (or two). Someone who'll have the balls to tell them some unpalatable truths.

Although we're in a tailspin at present,  the irony is, we do have many of the measures in place for success. It just needs the right decisions to be made. 

38 minutes ago, mozo said:

@headhunter & @Davefevs

I think Steve knows full well that Jon is not up to it and definitely won’t be handing it down. 
My opinion is that Steve sells in 3-5 years. The club will definitely not be handed down to Jon. 

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

(Guessing) one who might not think he’s the right bloke to do so?

I’ve no idea what SL’s plan is but paying off / restructuring the mortgage could be seen as simplifying any future sale.

Yeah and he certainly doesn’t have the self-belief of an Eddie Hearn as an example of an heir to a sports business, but Chairman is very close to the throne and I would be surprised if self-evaluation would see Jon L walk away from his life’s work. I’d also be shocked if Steve L would let anyone outside of the family take their project off their hands. 

I think the problem JL has is he has been involved with lots of PR issues the club have had.

He’s said or tweeted a few things, something about an England flag a few years back as one example, that ruffled feathers and made him appear flippant.

I’m fairly sure the hugely unpopular juvenile style of official club social media is his idea too. 

He was involved with the silly centenary kit design too.

These are all small things, but the sort of things that irritate the fan base.

By all accounts he’s a decent guy - but he’s clearly no marketing or PR expert when it comes to this club. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think Steve knows full well that Jon is not up to it and definitely won’t be handing it down. 
My opinion is that Steve sells in 3-5 years. The club will definitely not be handed down to Jon. 

It’s a fascinating one with huge implications for the club, and like I say, I think the next chapter will be revealed within a handful of seasons.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the problem JL has is he has been involved with lots of PR issues the club have had.

He’s said tweeted a few things, something about an England flag a few years back, that ruffled feathers.

I’m fairly sure the hugely unpopular juvenile style of official club social media is his idea too. 

He was involved with the silly centenary kit design too.

These are all small things, but the sort of things that irritate the fan base.

By all accounts he’s a decent guy - but he’s clearly no marketing or PR expert when it comes to this club. 

I’m playing devil’s advocate here, but isn’t the stadium partly his success story?

4 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

If it's any consolation, I lived and worked in Bermuda for a year.

Total shithole.

Only 1 public beach, all the rest are private and a beer was about $25.

Worlds biggest open-air prison - nothing to do, nothing to see.

600 miles from the USA and Hurricane central.

Mind you, I did see Catherine Zeta-Jones, who is genuinely fit in real life.

The citizens are all as miserable as Nahki Wells. 

Small world. When she was younger, my partner lived there with her parents. Moved around the island over a 10 year period, Devonshire Bay was one of the locations. Think they had a place at the end of a rocky headland. One of the places they lived in is worth about £20 mill now! 

I wonder why she is so ‘Nahki Wells’ miserable sometimes. Now I know ?

It seems to me - and I've never spoken to JL - that his interventions in the life of the club have been sincere but a little awkward, and as a consequence sometimes taken the wrong way.

The 'crayons' gags are surely based in incomprehension as to what exactly he does at the club. 

I don't think people doubt that he's a City fan or wishes the best.

However, precisely what the 'Chairman' does - or indeed what the 'Board' does - at Bristol City has seemed for years deliberately vague, allowing Steve Lansdown to duck out for long periods and resurface when as 'the owner' he wants to assert himself.

What might help the PR is a clear statement of what the various leadership roles at the club entail, and the casting of people into them who are comfortable in the parts they play, and can play them. Much of the criticism of Mark Ashton's role comes from people unable to see its boundaries, or Ashton's qualifications to fulfil it.

If JL wants to be the 'Chair' then define that role in a way that people interested in the club understand, and can see JL fitting into, if necessary shape it to his talents...or give him different title.

12 hours ago, RedNachos said:

It's people like jl who I detest most on this planet

No talent ability or hard work. Leaches of his father and will inherit has wealth. Don't give two ***** about this club. Crook. 

Get him out

Based on what??

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Rather like a "riot is the language of the unheard," so might the gormless barbs and "noise" aimed at the club owners by the mob be seen as the poorly expressed frustration of the faithful but helpless (the helpless to do anything about the ongoing mediocrity of this club).

Unfortunately the tendency of Steve to appoint people to top positions not on merit but on association and familiarity is asking for trouble. This football club is, or used to be, here for the people of Bristol and its surroundings first and foremost. That's what it should be. Start toying with that and don't be surprised if (some) people become unpleasant. 

Archived