IGNORED

COOK is still out there

AppyDAZE

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think your hypothesis will be proven right, but arguably more attractive.

Pressure off for this season aside from stay up. We should manage that with new manager impetus.

Potential to clear out lots of the squad in summer with possible return to crowds and thus more money to spend. 

Club might view things differently now and acknowledge previous way of working needs review. 

New training ground ready too. There's positives for sure, but Cook isn't an SL type of guy.

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Agree unless Ashton goes which seems unlikely 

This is my fear.   MA will be well known in football circles so I suspect anyone of note would be reluctant to come here with him at the club.

Best scenario is to put Paul Simpson in as caretaker for the test of the season and overhaul the club hierarchy in the summer, then appoint a new manager.   Maybe MA can bullshit some other club into having him?   Can't see it happening, sadly. 

2 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

This is my fear.   MA will be well known in football circles so I suspect anyone of note would be reluctant to come here with him at the club.

Best scenario is to put Paul Simpson in as caretaker for the test of the season and overhaul the club hierarchy in the summer, then appoint a new manager.   Maybe MA can bullshit some other club into having him?   Can't see it happening, sadly. 

Are we hoping that Paul Simpson doesn't do too well though?

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

New training ground ready too. There's positives for sure, but Cook isn't an SL type of guy.

You'd imagine SL is having a long think tonight.

We can only hope he concludes that it's been proven once again that his 'type of guy' simply isn't up to the job and therefore his priority should be getting a manager who's experience and past successes make further success here likely.

Whether he particularly likes him personally or not.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

From Cook's agent, he wasn't keen on us and we weren't keen on him.

Read what you want into that...

I read that Paul Cook thinks Mark Ashton's a shitehouse and the feeling may be mutual.

Join the queue, Paul!

Cook is cut from the same cloth as Steve Cotterill and I think we can all guess how well Cotts gets on with Ashton and Lansdown, for that matter

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

Oh God.

It really isn't.

11 hours ago, Superjack said:

Oh God.

It really isn't.

Ok, maybe not Paul Simpson but a caretaker to buy some time before a restructure can take place.   Think SL needs to think carefully about the direction of the football club and that will take time.  Last thing I want is another kneejerk (if you can call 6 weeks that) appointment.  

23 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Ok, maybe not Paul Simpson but a caretaker to buy some time before a restructure can take place.   Think SL needs to think carefully about the direction of the football club and that will take time.  Last thing I want is another kneejerk (if you can call 6 weeks that) appointment.  

Well if we are after a caretaker until the end of the season, there is a guy with a wealth of experience and an affinity for the club that lives in Clifton. And he'd kick the players into the middle of next week.

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why would someone who turned us down last year want to come and be the manager of our club now?

SL and co could eat some humble pie and go back and ask. I'm with you, I think it's unlikely, but I still think he is the best choice still out there.

I like many, am preparing for an underwhelming announcement after all the usual bollocks.

Steve Lansdown will make the 'rules.'  Before it might have been relayed to Dean;  'Mark Ashton will give you a list of players for any needed position and you have the final say, well sort of anyway.' That wouldn't have been accepted by Cook

SL may well have second thoughts now given the likes of Kasey Palmer 3m, Massengo 3m, Engvall 1m, Wells several million and a whole list of expensive injury prone loans all on high wages that just haven't worked.

Paul Cook gives Steve an upgrade on so many fronts including, crucially, recruitment so I think Steve may reconsider and reign in Mark Ashton's involvement in recruitment and offer Cook terms that give him the freedom to build within a specific budget.  SL does change his approach and has gone for experience in the past with the likes of Coppell.

I know the odds fluctuate and aren't too meaningful but Cook is cited by Bristol Post as evens - much shorter odds than the rest of the field. On this occasion (wishful thinking) I want to believe it's a positive sign.

As much as I’d be interested in Cook - if the rumours from the summer about him and club are true, there’s little chance of coming back from that.

Would take a serious “back down” from either side, which I can’t see happening.

EDIT - unless SL has seen the light and is willing to shuffle behind the scenes now too.

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why would someone who turned us down last year want to come and be the manager of our club now?

Maybe because he's been out of work for 6 months which in itself says a lot.

I may be a bit ignorant but just looked up the odds and viewed Paul Cooks profile and its not brilliant. Some success in Ireland, a League 2 win and League 1 play offs. That doesn't inspire me that he's the man to take us to the Prem.

Also needs to be borne in mind that footballs actually a smallish world with many knowing many

So whatever stance we had with Hughton , Cook etc back in July will have circulated wildly 

Unfortunately it may put some off even showing interest.

And someone thinking of applying is highly likely to pick up the phone to Hughton or Cook first

Archived