Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

COOK is still out there


Recommended Posts

Also needs to be borne in mind that footballs actually a smallish world with many knowing many

So whatever stance we had with Hughton , Cook etc back in July will have circulated wildly 

Unfortunately it may put some off even showing interest.

And someone thinking of applying is highly likely to pick up the phone to Hughton or Cook first

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hantsred said:

Football League World website saying Cook is our best match/solution (no mention that we me have already burnt this bridge!)

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/its-got-to-be-paul-cook-surely-bristol-city-search-for-dean-holden-replacement-the-verdict/

All makes perfect sense, BUT cannot see it happening unless Ashton is shown the door.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I may be a bit ignorant but just looked up the odds and viewed Paul Cooks profile and its not brilliant. Some success in Ireland, a League 2 win and League 1 play offs. That doesn't inspire me that he's the man to take us to the Prem.

In 2.5 years at Chesterfield, he won L2 in his first full season in charge and finished 6th in L1, making the play-offs, the following season. 

The he went to Pompey and won the L2 title again.

Then he left to join Wigan in L1 where, guess what? He won the title. Not only that, Wigan went on an FA Cup run beating three Premier League teams in one season: Bournemouth, West Ham and Man City. I think it's fair to say it was widely considered he did a good job under very difficult circumstances at Wigan in the Championship.

Three league titles in four seasons is anything but "not brilliant". 

  • Like 17
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Also needs to be borne in mind that footballs actually a smallish world with many knowing many

So whatever stance we had with Hughton , Cook etc back in July will have circulated wildly 

Unfortunately it may put some off even showing interest.

And someone thinking of applying is highly likely to pick up the phone to Hughton or Cook first

You'd like to think that any manager who might show an interest would form their own opinion? Ask around and take note certainly, but take people's word for it? I very much doubt that!
Certainly have the first informal contact or even come to an interview wary and forewarned but if you're proposing to manage egos and difficult personalities in your team then  you'd never be shallow or gullible enough to take someone's word for it.
Despite the negativity on here (which is understandable) This club has got a huge amount going for it and really isn't far off being successful. It WILL be attractive and I think everyone's expectations at senior management/board level will have to be adjusted to reflect the changes needed. I passionately believe we're one appointment away from being a successful club, that appointment is, as always, crucial. Sustainability is at the heart of everything SL is striving for and the quicker he realises that appointing a proven experienced manager who can bring success is the best way of achieving just that. A never ending succession of coaches with 'promise and potential' is effectively one gamble after another. The smallish world to which you rightly refer to will also be saying what a well run, stable club we are. It's all subjective. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So? Are we a more attractive, or less attractive proposition, than the summer?

⬇️⬇️⬇️

16 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think your hypothesis will be proven right, but arguably more attractive.

Pressure off for this season aside from stay up. We should manage that with new manager impetus.

Potential to clear out lots of the squad in summer with possible return to crowds and thus more money to spend. 

Club might view things differently now and acknowledge previous way of working needs review. 

= humble pie

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

I would love Howe but part of me worries he would be a failure here like most. Wasnt great at Burnley. Is he a one club manager!!

He did ok at Burnley and Dyche inherited a good squad. He returned to afcb because of a death in the family. 

Oh and have you been to Burnley? Compared to Bournemouth........... 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In 2.5 years at Chesterfield, he won L2 in his first full season in charge and finished 6th in L1, making the play-offs, the following season. 

The he went to Pompey and won the L2 title again.

Then he left to join Wigan in L1 where, guess what? He won the title. Not only that, Wigan went on an FA Cup run beating three Premier League teams in one season: Bournemouth, West Ham and Man City. I think it's fair to say it was widely considered he did a good job under very difficult circumstances at Wigan in the Championship.

Three league titles in four seasons is anything but "not brilliant". 

As I said I'm ignorant about Paul Cook and only went off his profile on the betting site and winning L1 wasn't on there.

I would still ask the question why hasn't such a brilliant manager been snapped up in the last 6 months.

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti Paul Cook just not sure why he is seen as the messiah to lead us to the promised land.

I would go for a "big" name but I am by no means an expert.

One thing though, whoever gets the job, however inspiring or uninspiring, they will get my support.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

As I said I'm ignorant about Paul Cook and only went off his profile on the betting site and winning L1 wasn't on there.

I would still ask the question why hasn't such a brilliant manager been snapped up in the last 6 months.

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti Paul Cook just not sure why he is seen as the messiah to lead us to the promised land.

I would go for a "big" name but I am by no means an expert.

One thing though, whoever gets the job, however inspiring or uninspiring, they will get my support.

 

Because he builds teams, spots and recruits talent (rough diamonds), wins leagues....on tight budgets.  And he appears to take no shit!

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious where all the info comes from re Paul Cook not wanting it here before ? Anyone got a link or is it all pure guess work, fake news, and just general chat 😘 of course there is always someone, who knows someone , who told me.... and in fairness there have been a few decent ferrets on this forum for sniffing a bit info😀

certainly the club never mentioned diddly squat about who was, or was not interviewed last time round, general confidentiality clauses and all that.  Cook conducted himself brilliantly at Wigan, and has great pedigree.  He would be a good shout but there are so many others out there as well.  
As long as in six weeks time we are not still debating this, but somehow......

Edited by DT The Optimist
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, big dosser said:

yes from me to, solid and takes no shit

Which is why Ashton would never hire him without Lansdown stepping in. Ashton wants control, he wants to be "the man" and if someone like Hughton had come here or if someone like Cook was looking to come here he'd be threatened because he knows they won't be told what to do when it comes to transfers or staff decisions. 

Ashton is one reason that we'll struggle to get a proper manager in, the other is that SL seems afraid to have anything other than a yes man too because that makes his job as owner more difficult. I'm concerned that the aim is to keep getting yes men until something clicks. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JonDolman said:

 

Or Cowley brothers? Think they're out of work

The problem with speed reading is that I thought you said the Coen brothers.  That would certainly be entertaining.

Burn After Reading....haha, did you see what I did there?  Did you?  Did you?

******* genius me!

(Although Burn After Reading was probably their shittest film).

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vespa Red said:

The problem with speed reading is that I thought you said the Coen brothers.  That would certainly be entertaining.

Burn After Reading....haha, did you see what I did there?  Did you?  Did you?

******* genius me!

(Although Burn After Reading was probably their shittest film).

I like what you wrote

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In 2.5 years at Chesterfield, he won L2 in his first full season in charge and finished 6th in L1, making the play-offs, the following season. 

The he went to Pompey and won the L2 title again.

Then he left to join Wigan in L1 where, guess what? He won the title. Not only that, Wigan went on an FA Cup run beating three Premier League teams in one season: Bournemouth, West Ham and Man City. I think it's fair to say it was widely considered he did a good job under very difficult circumstances at Wigan in the Championship.

Three league titles in four seasons is anything but "not brilliant". 

The perfect fit. Surely nothing can stop this imminent appointment!!!!!!

Image result for mark ashton

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because he builds teams, spots and recruits talent (rough diamonds), wins leagues....on tight budgets.  And he appears to take no shit!

Someone who has that experience and doesn't take any crap but can also motivate a mish mash squad is just the sort of person we need right now.

Question is, has he got the ability to improve the number of things that appear broken at our club right now, e.g. player performances, working within the injury crisis, navigating the relationship between fans and club, managing Ashton's grasp, motivating players out of contract in the summer, transfer window now closed etc etc. Its a tough ask isn't it and shows just how important this next appointment is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has already been aired............but according to McGregorface, Cook is not seen as an appropriate fit culturally....Ha!     That basically means he would not toe the line, and would shake up this slumbering mess of a club?  They talked about a breath of fresh air?  Well Cook would pheckin blow them away with some Galeforce changes, which is what is needed.  But not cosying up in the boardroom, and tipping his cap to his betters is apparently not the way things are done at "Ashton" Gate?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Sorry if this has already been aired............but according to McGregorface, Cook is not seen as an appropriate fit culturally....Ha!     That basically means he would not toe the line, and would shake up this slumbering mess of a club?  They talked about a breath of fresh air?  Well Cook would pheckin blow them away with some Galeforce changes, which is what is needed.  But not cosying up in the boardroom, and tipping his cap to his betters is apparently not the way things are done at "Ashton" Gate?

Where’ve you heard this? Gregor said the club should be looking at cook on the podcast he does aswell as mentioning on twitter that he is one of the names included in the clubs interests

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Finley_Smith10 said:

Where’ve you heard this? Gregor said the club should be looking at cook on the podcast he does aswell as mentioning on twitter that he is one of the names included in the clubs interests

Bristol Post site....right now 😜

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

It said ‘back then’ 

Well yes..........and your point is?   If he was    not seen as a cultural fit 6 months ago, then do you think the fact that Mr Cook has suddenly taken up Grouse Shooting, and taken elocution lessons will be a factor?  If they did not see him fitting in then, please tell me what has changed at Bristol City in the interim?  He is an abrasive character, which I see as a plus........but i am not on the board unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Well yes..........and your point is?   If he was    not seen as a cultural fit 6 months ago, then do you think the fact that Mr Cook has suddenly taken up Grouse Shooting, and taken elocution lessons will be a factor?  If they did not see him fitting in then, please tell me what has changed at Bristol City in the interim?  He is an abrasive character, which I see as a plus........but i am not on the board unfortunately.

Think the point was you did not say it was prior to DH appointment, which makes the contexts different. It may or may not still be the case as we don't know exactly what was meant or what changes they are now prepared to make

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Well yes..........and your point is?   If he was    not seen as a cultural fit 6 months ago, then do you think the fact that Mr Cook has suddenly taken up Grouse Shooting, and taken elocution lessons will be a factor?  If they did not see him fitting in then, please tell me what has changed at Bristol City in the interim?  He is an abrasive character, which I see as a plus........but i am not on the board unfortunately.

Perhaps our hierarchy made a mistake? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Well yes..........and your point is?   If he was    not seen as a cultural fit 6 months ago, then do you think the fact that Mr Cook has suddenly taken up Grouse Shooting, and taken elocution lessons will be a factor?  If they did not see him fitting in then, please tell me what has changed at Bristol City in the interim?  He is an abrasive character, which I see as a plus........but i am not on the board unfortunately.

Let’s just wait and see what happens, I want cook more than anyone

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Vespa Red said:

The problem with speed reading is that I thought you said the Coen brothers.  That would certainly be entertaining.

Burn After Reading....haha, did you see what I did there?  Did you?  Did you?

******* genius me!

(Although Burn After Reading was probably their shittest film).

Now, humour me here fellas...

Coen Brothers related City films:

No Sub's Bench for Old Men

Far(to)go

The Big Dziekanowski

Oh Lansdown, Where Art Thou

Hail (Gus) Caesar

Intolerable Cruelty (that one didn't need any messing about with)

The Man Who Wasn't There (could be about 95% of the current squad/Board)

 

 

Incidentally, it's a big YES from me for Paul Cook

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With Ethan Coen as his number 2

True Shit 

Sorry, please feel free to carry on with the serious post

 

 

Edited by Vespa Red
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...