IGNORED

COOK is still out there

AppyDAZE

7 minutes ago, Yoyo2345 said:

Don’t know why anyone wants cook never done anything above league 1. Howe all the way for me

Yes but how else is a coach meant to gain experience above league 1 in the first place. Also he did pretty well with Wigan despite them overspending on their squad. Obviously not his fault but was given a better budget I think than some think.

2 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Got a feeling Howe would just be a repeat of Coppell 

I agree, I don’t think Howe would suit us right now. We need a Cotterill type character to galvanise this club again and move us forward. Howe gives me the impression he’ll jump ship when the chips are down...

That’s why I think Cook is the best available option for us.

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

No. No you don’t. I do. I’ll let you be second though.

Actually there are two ways of reading your statement... which is it?

(a) I’m the supporter who wants him most. 
(b) I want Paul cook more than I want anyone else. 

Haha, I’m gunna say A. I’ll let you have that title tho. We all know it’s not gunna happen tho 

19 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

New training ground ready too. There's positives for sure, but Cook isn't an SL type of guy.

You have to worry in the respect . It shouldn’t matter if he likes him or not . He’s there to do a job & it’s down to Ashton to deal with him ever day . Similar with cotts though wasn’t it. Couldn’t wait to sack him. This is why we’ll never get to the prem with SL at the helm . 

25 minutes ago, Yoyo2345 said:

Don’t know why anyone wants cook never done anything above league 1. Howe all the way for me

Because he’s the sort of character we need . Plays aggressive , attractive football . We won’t get Howe imo & I’m not sure he’s what we need at the moment . We need someone first of all to grind out some results. Not sure EH teams can do that. Especially with a squad shot of confidence . 

There is absolutely no way Howe or Cook will come here with the current setup.

Deano was set up like a kipper by Ashton. It will be a lower league hopeful manager who is trying to better himself that will come here - and is prepared to take a gamble with his career.

Get rid of Ashton - and Cook and Howe come on the radar IMO.

Ashton OUT.

20 hours ago, grifty said:

Out of interest, what would happen if a Cook or Howe came in and weren't able to get the results/performances everyone is expecting from them? Whose fault would it be then?

It’s a good point, there’s always a risk. But the Johnson/Holden model hasn’t worked, so worth looking to go in a different direction.

34 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

No. No you don’t. I do. I’ll let you be second though.

Actually there are two ways of reading your statement... which is it?

(a) I’m the supporter who wants him most. 
(b) I want Paul cook more than I want anyone else. 

32 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

That’s brilliant isn’t it?

Shit. Misread. I read Cotterill. 

Edit: as did Lew! ?

Edit: no he didn’t. I misread again! ?‍♂️ ?

I am assuming (hoping) you are not on duty this evening ?

4 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Gregor MacGregor seems like a good reporter, wonder how long he will last before being snapped up by a paper that isn't used for kitty litter.

I think he’s been particularly good recently. He really had Holden on the ropes until the Valentine’s Day flowers fukwit came along. 

Been told different to what KITR has been told re: Cook.

Cook would come, he was happy to in the summer, he’s even more happy to now. He’s been speaking to several clubs, both in L1 and in the Championship and he would take this job.

But not with the setup as it is. And it’s for that reason I’d be surprised if he got it.

The club are keen on him if they can make it work, but I don’t think we’ll be changing anything to accommodate for him.

I think we should do, but what do I know.

1 minute ago, Lenners said:

Cook would come, he was happy to in the summer, he’s even more happy to now. He’s been speaking to several clubs, both in L1 and in the Championship and he would take this job.

But not with the setup as it is. And it’s for that reason I’d be surprised if he got it.

The club are keen on him if they can make it work, but I don’t think we’ll be changing anything to accommodate for him.

Reckon it’s a chance he could come then or will this appointment be elsewhere

3 hours ago, Yoyo2345 said:

I’ll repeat.  Wins things, spots talent and recruits well, on a budget, polishes rough diamonds....and doesn’t take any shit.

Unfashionable?  Yes.

As Fordy says, getting Wigan to 13th last season (one place behind £62m budget Bristol City) was no mean achievement.  Got them up from Lg1 on a budget less than £5m.

A sample of his Wigan signings:

Antonee Robinson

Jamal Lowe

Joe Williams

Cedric Kipre

Josh Windass

Sam Morsy (Chesterfield too)

Kieffer Moore

@Harrywill supply a list of his signings at other clubs.

1 hour ago, Lenners said:

Setup meaning involvement from Ashton etc? I assume the implication is he’d want full autonomy - which I think is reasonable.

Someone needs to explain to me what our setup is and why it makes us unattractive, because I am a bit confused as to how some people see it.

Is there too much interference from SL via MA? Do they have pretty much the whole say on players in and style etc like any ownership would?

Are we being lied to consistently by MA and SL very publicly about how the head coach has final say on transfers?

By setup do we mean that we have a bigger focus on the youth pathway to the first team and have a criteria to meet that coaches cant or dont want to adhere to?

Surely as a head coach or even manager, all you want to do is be on the pitch with the players, pick the team etc and have the final say about players coming in?

Surely that would take a massive weight off your shoulders? 

Sound like the best hope is compromise!

4 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

Now, humour me here fellas...

Coen Brothers related City films:

No Sub's Bench for Old Men

Far(to)go

The Big Dziekanowski

Oh Lansdown, Where Art Thou

Hail (Gus) Caesar

Intolerable Cruelty (that one didn't need any messing about with)

The Man Who Wasn't There (could be about 95% of the current squad/Board)

Incidentally, it's a big YES from me for Paul Cook

With Ethan Coen as his number 2

True Shit 

Sorry, please feel free to carry on with the serious post

'Bloody Simple - Appoint Cook!'

I don’t think we’ll be changing anything to accommodate for him.

Let's hope SL doesn't leave the fanbase disappointed and bewildered for the 3rd time in a row.

Bewilderment will lead to outright anger ( or, just as bad - complete apathy) I suspect if that's the case, and there are probably 5k ST renewals dependent on SL making any adjustments necessary to get this one right.

Archived