IGNORED

Who is available? genuine options. Who's your realistic next HC

Robin-hugh-blind

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not pro the Neill idea but think they had a very reasonable midfield, unsure how much was put together by him.

Pearson-Browne-Johnson? Ledson and Potts in reserve. Certainly worse midfields around! Okay so Pearson has gone, but they also added Molumby on loan and Whiteman who was looked at by a few clubs IIRC.

Barkhuizen in wide areas got a few goals too IIRC? As for Neill- think his Norwich side were not bad to watch.

All three of the mf trio were there before him, but as said he got a pittance to reinvest in new players. 

Pointless speculating really.  

Unless SL does a massive U turn on his manager/head coach recruitment policy, it’ll be yet another unproven no-mark with absolutely no track record of managerial success.

What in his piss poor past record of recruitment gives us any reason to view the next appointment with any optimism whatsoever???

5 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Unless SL does a massive U turn on his manager/head coach recruitment policy, it’ll be yet another unproven no-mark with absolutely no track record of managerial success.

What in his piss poor past record of recruitment gives us any reason to view the next appointment with any optimism whatsoever???

Nailed it mate, I feel exactly the same way.

5 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Couldn't agree more....I'm just waiting for the next underwhelming appointment. 

It seems the overwhelming clamour is for "a proven manager" and "a guy with multiple promotions on his CV".

However I think this misses the point. If you look at the top five clubs in this division below, none of them have "names", they're all achieving success from investing in unknown entities.

It can be an acceptable to go with a more "cost-effective solution"...but the bigger question is why do we struggle to identify managerial talent?

I think the difference is Bristol City always goes in-house (Tinnion, Millen, Holden, Johnson's son...) and our consistent failure is the inability to recruit up-and-coming leadership from outside the club.

Championship top 5 (17/02) - manager hired from: 

1 Norwich (Borrussia Dormund Reserves)

2 Brentford (Danish Superliga)

3 Watford (carousel...)

4 Swansea (England U17)

5 Reading (Chicago Fire)

8 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I genuinely don’t know. We need someone to rip it up and start again l, but we know we won’t get that. 

The last managerial appointment was our big chance to take the club to the next level and we ****** it up, as a result this one feels oddly insignificant. We’re heading backwards

Edwin Collins it is then 

25 minutes ago, Red Zeppelin said:

I think the difference is Bristol City always goes in-house (Tinnion, Millen, Holden, Johnson's son...) and our consistent failure is the inability to recruit up-and-coming leadership from outside the club.

Interesting use of the word ‘always’.  Cotterill, O’Driscoll, McInnes, Coppell, Gary Johnson, Wilson, Pulis...

We could sign the best manager/coach in the world and nothing would change after an initial very short honeymoon period.  Why?  Because what is wrong at the club runs far deeper than that.  A new manager is merely moving the deckchairs on the Titanic thing.

If you want to see a pictorial representation of my point then all you need to do is see all those Bristol Rugby photos in the concourse

8 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

In what way ?

( Though I wouldn’t bet against it )

⬇️

7 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Posted elsewhere, promotion to his name, done a great job at Preston working on a small budget, is willing to work as part of system which sees him lose his best players regularly, was constantly outpriced on players he wanted (known to have wanted both Wells and Palmer), apparently frustrated at PNE with how little he's given to work on as he supposedly gets about a tenth of any transfer fee to reinvest. Let him take what he's done at Preston and scale up the finances involved so he can work with players he wants to as opposed to players he has to due to not being able to afford anyone else.

➕ despite having less to work with his Preston aides consistently compete at a similar level to ourselves. Currently higher in the table again.

37 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Alex Neil would be massively underwhelming.

Hang on, you’re expecting an exciting appointment? ?

I can only realistically see a short term appointment until the end of the season. 

Likely being any of Adkins, Pearson or Coleman. 

The aim of staying up and then trying to finish as high as possible. 

More attractive managers will be available in the summer, due to contracts expiring and sackings etc. 

I can't see us making a mid-long term appointment with our current position and financial situation. 

Realistic isn’t just about name it’s about what they would want.  Cannot see Paul Cook accepting not signing his players.  

Danny Cowley, Mark Cooper, Michael Appleton, are the types of manager it will be I reckon. Young, tactical, won’t rock the boat, will be grateful for the opportunity and Ashton keeps signing the players 

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Realistic isn’t just about name it’s about what they would want.  Cannot see Paul Cook accepting not signing his players.  

Danny Cowley, Mark Cooper, Michael Appleton, are the types of manager it will be I reckon. Young, tactical, won’t rock the boat, will be grateful for the opportunity and Ashton keeps signing the players 

Wasn’t Cowley unhappy with how Huddersfield were being operated and that led to his departure?

City have missed out on all of the firemen short contractors except one, Nigel Pearson. 

To save face, in the hope Ashton had to eat some humble pie here, he could offer NP a short contract to finish the season strongly.. if he does that well there will be a huge clamour for a longer term deal. If not then no harm done other than preserve status.

Problem is persuading the guy. If the money is right and he knows he can walk away in the summer it could be a win win.

Archived