IGNORED

Who is available? genuine options. Who's your realistic next HC

Robin-hugh-blind

9 minutes ago, 2015 said:

The positive is, when we get a new Manager in is that we have a whole host of players OOC this Summer. He can assess the players he doesn't need and who he can try to get rid of. 
We have a massive Summer ahead, kind of like make or break really, providing we don't go down.

Exactly, it really is a blank slate

35 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Going back before Dean was appointed i put forward Gus Poyet name, I see on Sky he is their in the odds at 25/1. Next to him Harry Redknapp a big name as someone said Steve likes to be associated with a big name. Who knows, but he better be on the ball this week and not leave it to Ashton.

If I remember rightly, I put the idea down but, after some research, and due apologies, I think Poyet's a good shout RR.

What we do need is a manager / HC the players respect. I can imagine the players saying 'who are you' to Dean, which isn't his fault.

24 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

100% agree with all of this

If the manager got those tasks what would Ashton do?

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

If I remember rightly, I put the idea down but, after some research, and due apologies, I think that's a good shout RR.

What we do need is a manager / HC the players respect. I can imagine the players saying 'who are you' to Dean, which isn't his fault.

Harry would be a great replacement for Ashton not Holden

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. Of course did well at Lincoln, and at Huddersfield had the season started when he took over, he would have had them finishing 9th. Pretty decent that is.

The problem if Lansdown does go for a big name, like lets say Howe, then the wages will be higher, but much more importantly the bigger the name, the more I imagine they will want to spend in the transfer market.

I don't know about the finances. Maybe Lansdown thinks we can have a bit of a go and still be within the FFP limit.

I can't imagine Howe or Gerrard, or even Lampard coming here and not wanting to bring in quite a lot of new players.

Of course with many possibly leaving too for free. I do think we need to bring in quite a few new players anyway.

Well FFP rules have been amended for covid so that potentially allows for wiggle room, especially on player write downs. But I don't necessarily think SL wants to 'go for it' like that. His entire thing has always been somehow getting the club to be able to carry on growing without his hoovering up the loses every year. 

I think there was enough in the Gerrard rumours last summer to make me think the 'they don't want a big personality' stuff is overplayed. They clearly wanted both a big name and a big personality with him (and it seems a really good manager as it turns out). 

And we have no idea how brutal covid has been on club finances but it sounds really bad. Even SL is feeling a 25-30m loss. 

So a lot of factors point against a big name. (Not least actually trying to get one here). I just have a feeling, listening to him, that the rugby comparison is entering into his thinking more than ever so that might shape his thinking. But as he said in the interview, Bristol Rugby is attractive to the Pat Lams. Not so sure the Max Allegris or Lucien Favres of this world would have the same draw towards Bristol City. But its not totally unthinkable someone like Eddie Howe might consider it a project that would look good on his CV if successful. Biggest urban population in Europe without top flight football team nearby....

All unlikely, I appreciate. Which is why I'd be happy enough with the Cowleys. 

30 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Don’t see why we are such a bad proposition to potential managers. We have a newly developed stadium, brand new training facilities, an owner that will give you time and back you know the transfer market.

The role of Mark Ashton is blown out of all proportion by many I feel. I think if a new manager demanded their own scouting system/control of transfers they would be given it, within budget constraints. 

Or am I being very naive? 

By the sounds of it at least two managers were interested but wanted greater control and were rejected. That's just speculation on here, but wouldn't surprise me

42 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Don’t see why we are such a bad proposition to potential managers. We have a newly developed stadium, brand new training facilities, an owner that will give you time and back you know the transfer market.

The role of Mark Ashton is blown out of all proportion by many I feel. I think if a new manager demanded their own scouting system/control of transfers they would be given it, within budget constraints. 

Or am I being very naive? 

Yeah - I agree with this. Sold right, we are actually quite interesting (although I'm biased).

Everyone knows we have a rich owner. I think general perception is managers are given time by the owner and we are generally a well run club. Bristol good place to live. And the potential is huge given size of population without a top flight team nearby. And squad looks ok on paper. And even if MA is as bad as people make out (I don't think he is), thats just normal life to have to work with people you find a bit annoying or odd. Its not like every other football club won't have those personalities on board. So we aren't anywhere near the basket case some make out. 

But we have to be realistic about current position and any potential manager watching videos of our last 6 games might have a little pause and think.

I think the question is really what part of the club structure is Lansdown prepared to relax. Johnson and Holden were clearly "Head Coaches" - they manage the team in front of them. A manager is assumed to have more control and clearly this is what the club have tried to move away from.  Sure, the Head coach may have input in players but others have the final say.  Regardless of what we think of Ashton the real decision makers are, IMO,  the Lansdowns. If they are serious of creating a club that can challenge for the playoffs and stay within the top 7, then you have to go for managers who have done it - Pearson, Jokanovic, Howe, Neil, Cook. I think 4 of those are currently out of work. The list is short and the board should get on with it and appoint. For me, its Pearson or Cook.    

59 minutes ago, tin said:

Ticks the name box and is a friend of Ashton. I could see this happening, but his career is heading south. He's done nothing since leaving Man City 12 years' ago. 

Is he a friend of Ashton, or is that something rambled out by the Alien thing on Twitter the other week? 

He is one of those managers who is always linked with a vacancy at the top level, and the bigger ones in this league. The Premiership jobs usually seem to be at the lower levels, and usually end up with performances and results dwindling out, but then is that not the same everywhere with the vast majority of managers?

Perhaps a job at somewhere like here, would provide him with the platform to reestablish his managerial career. I think he'd do a decent job, but it would cost us a hell of a lot. Also not sure we'd be one of his "preferred" choices.

56 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well thought out post.

I think it’s very likely we will waste time looking into a Lampard or Howe only to be ultimately turned down. I expect that to happen actually.

The mood of the fans is against them and they know this. As it’s renewal time they’ll take heed of that so I’m confident they won’t appoint from within or go for someone like Appleton.

I think a ‘name’ like Hughes is a reasonable suggestion as to who they might go for.

Mark Hughes was a bit of a "random" name I thought of, but actually the more I think about it, the more I like the suggestion.

As I said above, financially it would be a huge commitment, maybe even a large gamble, but it would shout intent, not only amongst supporters (especially with the season cards going on sale soon), but amongst the football community and media.

I still don't think he would come here, as I don't think we're a big enough draw for him, and the bigger fact of the financial costs it would result in.

He does tick a few boxes though, name, experience, and is someone that the players would be in awe of, and command a hell of a lot more respect than Lee Johnson or Dean Holden.

In summary, I think that Mark Hughes is a realistic unrealistic option :laugh:

All coaches take the same badges. So it’s something more than that to motivate a team on and off the pitch including back room staff.

Regretfully all we know of managers is what we see on TV. What we suspect is that those recruiting know little more. If you were a Mgr. would you put up with selling your best players and expecting inexperienced ones to get you promoted out of one of the most difficult leagues in the World?

So here is no love left, only hopelessness å and a game we play to föröörloraaaa. So quiet, just be quiet, say nothing, not another word. It's not words, it's bullets, bullets that soooo. My friend, I see you're crying. You say that what we have burned will never come again. We'll start over. There are no miracles, there is no paradise. See us in the mirror, to spectacle that must pay a price. There are no miracles. I, I'm tired of this man, the one you make me But I know I'm giving you your lines. So say, say the words you do not dare, say them again. Taste the sadness of, to miss before you skriiiikeeer. Whatever we have hr in our hands So there it is no matter how we twist and turn. But we take it for granted. There are no miracles, there is no paradise. See us in the mirror, two spectacles that must pay a price. There are no miracles. Think, what if love was pure, just pure and pure. But as soon as we say the word, we fight for pride. We fall into already dug pits. We believe that love will come if we just shout. But it has no name. There are no miracles, there is no paradise. See us in the mirror, two spectacles that must pay a price. There are no miracles. There are no miracles. There are no miracles. There is no paradise.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Danny Cowley being a 4231 guy. He liked Walker to play on the shoulder at Lincoln.

Might be the man who will get the best out of Wells if that's how he likes to play

Are we at the stage of appointing a Head Coach on a theory that he may get better out of one of our most underperforming and moody misfits

Jeeeez

Thats Jon Lansdown level of decisions

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

The Guardian reported that Howe was on a £3 million salary. 

There is no way that Lansdown will pay anywhere near that, so maybe we should dismiss Eddie now.... 

Screenshot_20210217_103837_com.android.chrome.jpg

Depending on what you believe, Johnson was on 20/25k and Ashton is on 10k per week. 

It’s not unrealistic for us to offer Howe a decent wage plus bonuses for promotion that equates or exceeds 3m.

Another name I'll throw out there, albeit very unlikely and unrealistic is Harry Redknapp.

Fairly local, experienced, and at this level would make people sit up and take notice. 18 month contract, bonus based on league finish this season, and a huge bonus for promotion next season.

Finances I hear you say. Mark Ashton will not be going anywhere. Redknapp would not have free reign with the finances as Ashton would never allow it - we would still be financially sound at the end of the day. We would never be another Portsmouth. 

Full time management for 'arry is probably up though, and he probably enjoys life too much nowadays to be involved in the day to day running of a football club. Also probably has enough money coming in through advertising etc.

I'm not saying go out and sort it, neither do I think it's realistic. It is however more likely than Paul Cook who has said no previously, and definitely more likely than Lampard!!

One last hurrah though.....

27 minutes ago, Tomo said:

The Guardian reported that Howe was on a £3 million salary. 

There is no way that Lansdown will pay anywhere near that, so maybe we should dismiss Eddie now.... 

Screenshot_20210217_103837_com.android.chrome.jpg

Agreed. No one is getting 3m quid a year. But the market has changed a lot since then. Market for both player and managers wages - at least for next few years - likely to be very different post-covid. 

6 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Agreed. No one is getting 3m quid a year. But the market has changed a lot since then. Market for both player and managers wages - at least for next few years - likely to be very different post-covid. 

Agreed although would love him here obviously. 

Just preparing for the worst though!

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I don’t think he’s realistic on the basis he signed a new contract in September but I think we have a squad that could suit Paul Warne pretty well looking ahead to who could be here next season 

Knowing this board they won’t go for someone with a small profile. They won’t get away with it after Holden at the moment. Looking at the context of the last decade of appointments and hypothesis behind each.. 

Gary Johnson -> Coppell (upgrade, move to next level)

Coppell -> Millen (Strange appointment, genuinely no idea what the logic was. Perhaps little budget left)

Millen -> McInnes (Club needed a lift, DMC’s star was on the rise)

McInnes -> SO’D (Club on a decline, needed experience and someone to bring good aesthetic football)

SO’D -> Cotterill (Club needed someone no nonsense to eventually get us promotion)

Cotterill -> Johnson (Again, an odd appointment in context. Lansdown clearly wanted him for a while. Sick of butting heads with Cotterill. An indulgent ‘project’ appointment after getting promotion)

Johnson -> Holden (Lansdown not wanting to let go of Johnson’s work. An easy going guy to get us through Covid who’d work under a certain remit.

It’s quite difficult to gauge our pattern of appointments as it seems to wildly fluctuate. I think our next boss will have good profile and experience. Lansdown can’t bring in expensive loan signings now which we usually do when in trouble. He will compensate with a higher profile manager.

57 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Spot on. I think many will want this job.

Holden I thought was backed in the transfer market pretty well under the circumstances. LJ was backed before him.

Like you say brand new training ground. And when everyone is fit it really is not a bad squad at all. 

Fantastic youth coming through too.

I am sure managers will see that they will get plenty of time, and its nothing like Bournemouth or other teams that even when in top 6 will be sacked.

It's very unlikely a new head coach will be sacked as quickly as Holden. I am sure many would see that there was no other option there and it is more than likely Lansdown will give them a good time to build. 

Yep, agreed. 

What is also true is this next managerial search/process is a huge moment for MA. He really needs to get this right to get the fans back on side. 

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Knowing this board they won’t go for someone with a small profile. They won’t get away with it after Holden at the moment. Looking at the context of the last decade of appointments and hypothesis behind each.. 

Gary Johnson -> Coppell (upgrade, move to next level)

Coppell -> Millen (Strange appointment, genuinely no idea what the logic was. Perhaps little budget left)

Millen -> McInnes (Club needed a lift, DMC’s star was on the rise)

McInnes -> SO’D (Club on a decline, needed experience and someone to bring good aesthetic football)

SO’D -> Cotterill (Club needed someone no nonsense to eventually get us promotion)

Cotterill -> Johnson (Again, an odd appointment in context. Lansdown clearly wanted him for a while. Sick of butting heads with Cotterill. An indulgent ‘project’ appointment after getting promotion)

Johnson -> Holden (Lansdown not wanting to let go of Johnson’s work. An easy going guy to get us through Covid who’d work under a certain remit.

It’s quite difficult to gauge our pattern of appointments as it seems to wildly fluctuate. I think our next boss will have good profile and experience. Lansdown can’t bring in expensive loan signings now which we usually do when in trouble. He will compensate with a higher profile manager.

If you look at successes and failures and then compare with your comments you get some interesting comparions - I would rate the managers as:

Gary Johnson - Success

Coppell - Disaster

Millen, McInnes, O'Driscoll - Failures

Cotterill - Success

Lee Johnson - Success

Holden - Failure

I can fully understand the hiring of Millen after the whole club was burned badly by appointing a big name in Coppell.  I can also fully understand the appointment of Holden in the circumstances existing at that time.

Archived