IGNORED

Who is available? genuine options. Who's your realistic next HC

Robin-hugh-blind

48 minutes ago, Taz said:

Another name I'll throw out there, albeit very unlikely and unrealistic is Harry Redknapp.

Fairly local, experienced, and at this level would make people sit up and take notice. 18 month contract, bonus based on league finish this season, and a huge bonus for promotion next season.

Finances I hear you say. Mark Ashton will not be going anywhere. Redknapp would not have free reign with the finances as Ashton would never allow it - we would still be financially sound at the end of the day. We would never be another Portsmouth. 

Full time management for 'arry is probably up though, and he probably enjoys life too much nowadays to be involved in the day to day running of a football club. Also probably has enough money coming in through advertising etc.

I'm not saying go out and sort it, neither do I think it's realistic. It is however more likely than Paul Cook who has said no previously, and definitely more likely than Lampard!!

One last hurrah though.....

Not enough brown envelopes or service stations left for this particular suggestion. There’d be a hell of a fight to squeeze more fingers in the cookie jar (which ain’t as full as it once was).

20 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I would suggest that Steve seeks the opinion of Richard Scudamore, not only has he got experience of football and the promised land (which is our ultimate goal in the future) he is also a Bristol City fan. So would have the fans interests at heart.

Very good call actually if Steve wants to go that route.

A panel of Scudamore, Jordan and Tinnion? Three very different viewpoints, but two with a vested interest in the club. Don't forget Tins has dealt with the hate, and admiration of the supporters. Has also been in that (managers) seat before.

We could do a lot worse than to get those 3 together to find the next boss.

1 hour ago, Yoyo2345 said:

One thing I Deffo don't get, is this obsession with Paul Cook...... Maybe if we were in league 1 or 2 maybe but championship......

Had a doomed Wigan side running through brick walls for him. We need someone who can pick players up from the canvas and rejuvenate them after a loss or in a big game to win.

2 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

I just think he might have interviewed really well and the people in charge of the process got caught up in the interview being all important. 

Exactly - Holden had inside knowledge compared to the other candidates and so knew exactly what to say to excite the interviewing panel, irrespective of whether he was capable of delivering where it counted - on the pitch.

That was for the interviewing panel to decide - and the fact they thought he could deliver speaks volumes for their judgement. Such incompetence would be a resigning matter in other walks of ilfe. 

Those same people will now be choosing our next manager too!

God help us. 

18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Paul Cook supposedly moved from Portsmouth to Wigan because he wanted to live in the north where he came from.

So why come all this way south?

That's an important point but if Cook applied last time he might well regard Bristol City as a job worth moving South for; and Bristol isn't quite so far away as Pompey. 

43 minutes ago, Hxj said:

If you look at successes and failures and then compare with your comments you get some interesting comparions - I would rate the managers as:

Gary Johnson - Success

Coppell - Disaster

Millen, McInnes, O'Driscoll - Failures

Cotterill - Success

Lee Johnson - Success

Holden - Failure

I can fully understand the hiring of Millen after the whole club was burned badly by appointing a big name in Coppell.  I can also fully understand the appointment of Holden in the circumstances existing at that time.

I always thought in the context Millen did a pretty good job here. We were a sinking ship and finished 15th in his only full season. Started the next season poorly but overall he wasnt as much of a failure as McInnes and O'Driscoll

SL can't afford to gamble on a young inexperienced manager again now. Our form is dire. Players confidence is gone. We're dropping fast towards a relegation battle. We need an experienced coach to identify the issues and reinvigorate the players.

Don't forget, this team started the season on fire and only unparalleled injuries halted that form. The talent is there. 

The first priority must be to avoid a relegation battle. The second challenge is to win back the fans for next season. 

Paul Cook did wonders at Wigan when plenty wrote them off. He's got to be top of any list. 

If we are going the short, sharp fix until the end of the season then Pearson or Mark Hughes might do. 

But, my personal choice would be Eddie Howe. Bournemouth were heading out of the football league when he took over. I know he's had money to spend but so have LJ and DH and if he kept us up I think the season ticket sales would be fine. 

17 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Exactly - Holden had inside knowledge compared to the other candidates and so knew exactly what to say to excite the interviewing panel, irrespective of whether he was capable of delivering where it counted - on the pitch.

That was for the interviewing panel to decide - and the fact they thought he could deliver speaks volumes for their judgement. Such incompetence would be a resigning matter in other walks of ilfe. 

Those same people will now be choosing our next manager too!

God help us. 

Yeah I think that first bit is fair. Internal candidates always have an advantage in an interview. 

The rest of it - I get but Im not quite as critical. In theory I like the idea of building on what LJ had done and trying to have a bit of consistency and continuity in appointments. I think LJ did much more good than bad (I know others disagree). So for me, there was a lot to build on and that made some sense rather than starting from scratch.

But I'm definitely not trying to argue that it has worked out in any way. It hasn't. And I've never seen anything like the run of games since that Huddersfield second half. Something had to change. 

But I'm not as pessimistic about board's ability to make a decent appointment. 

2 hours ago, Bobbie said:

The role of Mark Ashton is blown out of all proportion by many I feel. I think if a new manager demanded their own scouting system/control of transfers they would be given it, within budget constraints. 
Or am I being very naive? 

Read 'The Nowhere Men' by Michael Calvin.

It's a book about old school scouting and the amateurs, the @Harry's of this world, who spend their own time and money travelling miles and miles on wet weekday evenings to watch game after game in the hope of unearthing up and coming players (ironically the central character is Gary Johnson's uncle!)

Towards the end, the Lansdowns are quoted as saying they don't trust the old school scouting system and want to try a new approach involving laptops and stats.

The book came out in 2014,so let's say it was written in 2013.

So the Lansdowns had a big downer on old school scouting even before Cotts and Keith Burt tried to railroad through the signings of Gray, Maguire, Gayle.

That's why we've got Ashton - someone the owner trusts to spend his money wisely, someone who will identify players through stats and then go after the ones Lansdown deems affordable.

Imo, it would take a massive volte face  for Lansdown to ever again allow a manager/coach run own recruiting alongside a chief scout independent of Ashton. I just can't see it happening, no matter how bad the situation.        

Listening to talksport. One of the reporters when talking about Bournemouth (who have yet to appoint a manager after 2 weeks), said the championship is one of the toughest leagues in Europe and ideally you need that Championship experience

Lansdowns recent appointments (Millen, McInnes, Johnson, Holden) - zero championship experience. 

When talking of Lampard, Terry, Vieira - the reporter stated, “it’s not a time for Bournemouth to be going autograph hunting”. 

We’d do well to heed all of the above advice (this time). 

59 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Not enough brown envelopes or service stations left for this particular suggestion. There’d be a hell of a fight to squeeze more fingers in the cookie jar (which ain’t as full as it once was).

This is exactly why we have Ashton. Lansdown has a longstanding distrust of old school types (see post above about Michael Calvin's 'The Nowhere Men')  

I hope this has been a wake up call for SL. There are no guarantees just because your players previously were okay and safe in the league that they will be again under any old manager.

Appoint someone who is proven; not another risk that if they do well you can hang your hat on.

Yes it'll be more expensive, but Lansdown is a businessman, he knows sometimes you have to provide a bigger outlay for more security in your investment.

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I genuinely hope you're right but have no idea where you get your optimism from. The law of averages, perhaps. 

GJ and Cotts - obviously excellent appointments.

Coppell and SoD - very good appointments on paper, didn't work out. 

McInnes - Interesting appointment. Up and comer. And in fairness to SL, he pulled plug on it quicker than he would normally so clearly realised something was off. 

Millen, Tins, Holden - fair enough although first season under Tins was at times pretty good. The succession from within is a weakness - SL seems to want it to happen but it's something you need to plan for well in advance and I don't think we've done that. 

LJ - seems to be the big divider on here and each fan has their own view but for me he was a really good appointment that progressed club, had excellent eye for player and gave us progress and some really good moments. Was right time to leave but he should be proud of what he did here and I hope he smashes it at Sunderland. 

Anyway, that's where my optimism (such that it is - more lack of pessimism) comes from. 

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

The morning after the night before and I’ve got more questions than answers.

The main question for me is, do they think Holden was just a hiccup - we’ve lost our captain overboard, but the admiral says keep the ship on the same heading.....or is it time for an about turn?

The owner has a list from the summer, which may have changed a bit in terms of availability - but if he thinks we’ve still got the squad and the right structure, expect an Appleton or similar. If that happens - MA’s feet are well and truly under the table and we go again.

If the owner thinks, or is starting to think to need to look deeper than just the head coach - we may well see a stop gap before a re-think in the summer. Expect caretaker Simmo or perhaps even an expensive short term deal for a Pearson type.

For what it’s worth, IMO the issues are wider than the head coach, there is enough evidence for it, enough noise about it and enough comments in the press and enough underachieving at the club now that surely SL, intelligent man that he is, will see we can’t just carry on as we were, business as usual, but with an Appleton or Moore.

Wait to the summer, re-structure the recruitment, strip out the dead wood in the squad and then we might see a Cook or even Howe. 

The priority is our league status and that is something for the new head coach to deal with. Mark Ashton has little influence over on-pitch matters until the transfer window opens. For now we will all need to get behind the team until May.

The day of reckoning for Ashton will come, but it’s not a pressing matter today.

Gregor saying the 3 early names he’s aware of are;

Paul Cook (Unemployed)

Michael Appleton (Lincoln)

Russell Martin (MK Dons)

Ideally after someone with experience apparently. Didn’t sound anyone out whilst Holden was here (which demonstrates a lack of due diligence to me).

I know very little about Russell Martin but seeing him interviewed he fits the ‘articulate’ ‘good human’ ‘media friendly’ mould of a younger manager.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Gregor saying the 3 early names he’s aware of are;

Paul Cook (Unemployed)

Michael Appleton (Lincoln)

Russell Martin (MK Dons)

Ideally after someone with experience apparently. Didn’t sound anyone out whilst Holden was here (which demonstrates a lack of due diligence to me).

I know very little about Russell Martin but seeing him interviewed he fits the ‘articulate’ ‘good human’ ‘media friendly’ mould of a younger manager.

From what I see online without looking in great depth Martin appears to be winning some plaudits for what he's trying to do, but is this really the time for that sort of head coach/manager? Appleton is interesting because if you took away the fact its him I wonder what sort of reaction you'd get to the manager of top of league 1 with Lincoln being linked.

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This is exactly why we have Ashton. Lansdown has a longstanding distrust of old school types (see post above about Michael Calvin's 'The Nowhere Men')  

I think the principle of having someone at the club responsible for identifying talent and recruiting potential is a good one. However I also think Ashton's record is pretty poor. Based on his RB interview SL doesn't agree with that though. 

I would be happy to have someone with the long term view picking players, not just the coach who needs results now. However it only works if that person identifies the right players and Ashton's record on that doesn't look good from where I'm sat. 

Archived