IGNORED

Who is available? genuine options. Who's your realistic next HC

Robin-hugh-blind

4 minutes ago, tin said:

Who do we reckon are the most realistic of the overseas candidates?

• Bruno Lage - ex-Benfica, twice assistant to Carlos Carvahal at Sheff Weds and Swansea
  • Marc van Bommel - ex-PSV boss (averaged 2 points per game), former Dutch international, played for Barca, Bayern, Milan, horrible bastard
  • David Wagner - got Huddersfield up, wretched at Schalke
  • Tim Walter - averaged 1.9 points per game at Stuttgart, left-field shout

Thierry Henry has just interviewed for the Bournemouth job...???

can’t see a foreign appointment in the current climate and I’m sure we all need to keep expectations relatively low or “Lowe”

5 minutes ago, tin said:

Who do we reckon are the most realistic of the overseas candidates?

• Bruno Lage - ex-Benfica, twice assistant to Carlos Carvahal at Sheff Weds and Swansea
  • Marc van Bommel - ex-PSV boss (averaged 2 points per game), former Dutch international, played for Barca, Bayern, Milan, horrible bastard
  • David Wagner - got Huddersfield up, wretched at Schalke
  • Tim Walter - averaged 1.9 points per game at Stuttgart, left-field shout

Schalke have been destroyed by selling their best players and not replacing them (who does that sound like?) rather than Wagner's tactics. Would take any of these candidates in a heartbeat if Cook doesn't fancy it.

3 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Schalke have been destroyed by selling their best players and not replacing them (who does that sound like?) rather than Wagner's tactics. Would take any of these candidates in a heartbeat if Cook doesn't fancy it.

Wagner also had a dire run at Huddersfield when he was sacked. He hasn't had a good run since 2018. 

6 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Watching Schalke over the summer when their league returned first it was just so poor to watch as well though tactically from memory.

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Watching Schalke over the summer when their league returned first it was just so poor to watch as well though tactically from memory.

They've lost players like Goretzka, Nubel and Embolo in recent seasons and replaced them with dross. Agree they were playing poorly after the restart, just contextualising his stint at Schalke.

18 minutes ago, Selred said:

Wagner also had a dire run at Huddersfield when he was sacked. He hasn't had a good run since 2018. 

Yep I'd rather have a Cook or a Howe, just saying he's managed Huddersfield to the Premier League and then took a difficult job. His next job will probably decide if that promotion was a fluke or not.

2 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I remember way back when Pearson was let go by Leicester and we were looking for a manager, I recall him being interviewed by Pearce on Radio 5 who suggested that City fans were begging for him to come to BS3.

He'd do.

Or Cook.

Not Howe, not sure he's "tough" enough?!?!?!?! Also only really achieved success at one club, failed at Burnley (although, TBF, achieved a lot at Bournemouth!)

Absolutely - I suspect he's really good at the non-playing aspects, therefore needs his role revised not sacking.

I wanted Pearson back then. I got talking to Richard Hoskin at the temporary press area at the back of the Dolman at the time. I said I wanted to see Pearson here, and he just shook his head and made a loadsamoney hand gesture to me, at least I hope that's what it was! 

16 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Blame Johnson for buying him without a plan and Ashton for allowing it

There's worse out there for sure , but I wouldn’t be endorsing Alex Neil over interest in him

Putting Neil aside for one second, I actually think at point of signing we did have players and fit ones at that who could have seen a more productive Wells. I'd say that's on LJ more, rather than the player specifically.

Could say similar about a host of LJ's signings but that doesn't necessarily make them duds or inept players.

If Gregor's belief that Russell Martin is favoured is correct then we haven't learned have we?  He's done a decent but unremarkable job at one of the bigger League 1 clubs for a season and has little experience to fall back on.  Darren Moore would be a far better option.  Appleton seems to be a good interviewer....

8 minutes ago, The Bard said:

If Gregor's belief that Russell Martin is favoured is correct then we haven't learned have we?  He's done a decent but unremarkable job at one of the bigger League 1 clubs for a season and has little experience to fall back on.  Darren Moore would be a far better option.  Appleton seems to be a good interviewer....

Where has he said he is the favoured manager?

At halftime on the radio there was a really insightful discussion about why young Curtis has come on leaps and bounds at Liverpool. Of the importance of not being over-expansive in midfield, of not attempting to be flashy. The importance of holding and protecting the ball, working to make oneself big and strong. Of not giving it away cheaply to the opposition. Of using ones teammates rather than always taking on 1 on 1s. Of looking 360 not only sideways and backwards.

Comments came from Liverpool's assistant U23 coach. A bloke called Gary O'Neil. You may have heard him. Tinns on the other hand will continue to utter expletives when players, many young charges that have come via his coaching, fail to do any of the above.

Pity GoN told WeeLee where to go. Things might have been so very, very different.

I live near Watford and watch quite a bit of them and think our fans would love Pearson to be honest. Proper no nonsense manager.

I was also shocked by him tactically and how good Watford were to watch with him in charge.

He just got really unlucky there with injuries to key players and the lockdown coming at a really bad time when they were in great form, otherwise he would have kept them up easily I think.

Would like us to go German and for a change be really bold , ambitious and go for it.

Ralph Rangnick ,one of the most influential coaches  in Europe with an impressive track record in Germany of transforming clubs , is without a club and has previously expressed an interest to coach in England after living and studying here in his younger days.

No doubt , Ashton would need to be shunted aside to give this a chance of happening !

Klopp, Tuchel, Farke  and other highly rated coaches who have been successful here in England have  all been influenced  by him and admire his methods.

His recent videos on YouTube explaining his principles and how he improves  a club are worth a watch.

He Implements a pressing , attacking game with pace and dislikes passing back to the keeper and square passing. Wouldn’t this make a nice change !

City fans are ambitious , and there is nothing wrong with that after decades of underachieving as Cardiff , Swansea , Bournemouth etc etc in comparison show us up .

Steve Lansdown  has not shown the ambition with his footballing decisions to match what he has built ,and is still building off the pitch with the infrastructure . Surely there comes a time such as now when he has to make a higher profile , experienced appointment and lift the whole club ?

If someone of the reputation of Rangnick or similar can be attracted by the challenge here , why not at least try ?

He can only say no ......

13 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Have a read of this to see why many fans like the idea of Cook.

DC99046F-1B7A-4A7D-91F0-625D51956342.jpeg

6B425F4A-60B3-413B-9D35-BCAC342CE8A7.jpeg

Great post @Phileas Fogg @Harry

Paul Cook may not have been interested in working under the structure that were were selling to him in the summer, but given where we are now perhaps SL is willing to change that to give him more of a say on transfers.  That post from @Harry makes a great case for doing so.  I think SL learned relatively quickly what he needed to do to get success for the rugby team. Maybe he has time to reflect and will do so for City.   I think Cook would be a good fit and would develop with the club if we did get some relative success.  

10 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Great post @Phileas Fogg @Harry

Paul Cook may not have been interested in working under the structure that were were selling to him in the summer, but given where we are now perhaps SL is willing to change that to give him more of a say on transfers.  That post from @Harry makes a great case for doing so.  I think SL learned relatively quickly what he needed to do to get success for the rugby team. Maybe he has time to reflect and will do so for City.   I think Cook would be a good fit and would develop with the club if we did get some relative success.  

This was my point earlier....either Cook completely burned his bridges, or strengthened his position.  We will need to wait and see.

Another ex-Sligo manager....???

11 hours ago, Bristolbarhopper said:

Would like us to go German and for a change be really bold , ambitious and go for it.

Ralph Rangnick ,one of the most influential coaches  in Europe with an impressive track record in Germany of transforming clubs , is without a club and has previously expressed an interest to coach in England after living and studying here in his younger days.

No doubt , Ashton would need to be shunted aside to give this a chance of happening !

Klopp, Tuchel, Farke  and other highly rated coaches who have been successful here in England have  all been influenced  by him and admire his methods.

His recent videos on YouTube explaining his principles and how he improves  a club are worth a watch.

He Implements a pressing , attacking game with pace and dislikes passing back to the keeper and square passing. Wouldn’t this make a nice change !

City fans are ambitious , and there is nothing wrong with that after decades of underachieving as Cardiff , Swansea , Bournemouth etc etc in comparison show us up .

Steve Lansdown  has not shown the ambition with his footballing decisions to match what he has built ,and is still building off the pitch with the infrastructure . Surely there comes a time such as now when he has to make a higher profile , experienced appointment and lift the whole club ?

If someone of the reputation of Rangnick or similar can be attracted by the challenge here , why not at least try ?

He can only say no ......

Which is exactly what he would say.

Lets be realistic with the speculation.

Archived