IGNORED

Runners and Riders - New Manager Poll

Dynamite Red

Next City Manager   

1030 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd take Slav, if he'd come, that is.

⚽ Plays good football, with a three-man midfield setup.

⚽ Track records at CH level.

⚽ Used to working under a DoF/CEO.

⚽ Contract out at Al-Gharafa end of season - only 4 months compensation to pay.

Only question is ?. Would SL/MA be willing to pay-out - I'll safely assume (unfortunately) not, we never do for managers since the Coppell debacle unless it's a family friend *cough* LJ *cough*.

Cook would be second choice.

Issue with Howe is that he's only done well at Bournemout with supreme backing; was lacklustre at Burnley - where he was replaced by Dyche who the next season immediately broke records using pretty much the same squad barring one or two additions.

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Oh, well I haven't really researched it. Who is impossible and why?

Not sure if you are taking the piss, but I will bite.

Cotterill is impossible because Lansdown knows that he is a nutter. Pearson is impossible because everybody knows that he is a nutter. Cook is unlikely because he was apparently interviewed in the summer and depending on what you believe either was turned down or basically told Ashton to **** off. Either way bridges burned WW2 style.

Just now, Superjack said:

Not sure if you are taking the piss, but I will bite.

Cotterill is impossible because Lansdown knows that he is a nutter. Pearson is impossible because everybody knows that he is a nutter. Cook is unlikely because he was apparently interviewed in the summer and depending on what you believe either was turned down or basically told Ashton to **** off. Either way bridges burned WW2 style.

No I wasn't taking the piss, I was genuinely interested.

A nutter is probably what we need tbh. Cotterill and Pearson are very successful nutters.

Wouldn't mind Cook- one big achilles heel for Wigan under him was the away record but this changed sharply from the start of 2020, or end of 2019- one of them anyway, from what I saw of them the football was not bad- players seemed to work for him.

We would have to give him time and some license though- 3 year deal from this Summer if still loose ends to tie up- or 3 and a bit to summer 2024 from now if no contractual complexities and he's a truly 100% free agent as of now.

1 hour ago, RedNachos said:

We ain't getting relegated if we get 2 or 3 more wins which should be more than achievable with anyone in charge. Maybe someone on a toll the end of the season then look in the summer for a long term boss. 

On that basis I’d go for Mrs Downend until the end of the season. A few hundred thousand  bonus for avoiding relegation would do nicely thank you very much and would get her out of the house after these months of lockdown, keeping on to me do do jobs around the house, decorating and the like.

Seriously, we are spiralling into the bottom half of the table with the real danger of a relegation fight ahead. Therefore the immediate need is for a quick appointment of someone able to stop the rot and turn things around quickly. 

Ideal would be a short term appointment until the end of the season, allowing time to find the right manager for the longer term, as I think SL needs to consider the way the club is to develop going forward and some of that might also involve other structural changes within the club and in particular MA’s role. I worry that a manger with the attributes and ability to take us forward would be dissuaded because MA controls too much and would, in essence, clip the manager’s wings. It might be that MA’s responsibilities for player recruitment need to be redistributed, with the manager having greater say and alongside this,  perhaps we need to review our recruitment set up - isn't one of MA’s relatives involved?

Short term I’d canvas the players’ opinions as to the manager they’d least like appointed and go for him!. Someone like Pearson would be my choice. He might be a bit mad, but he would not suffer fools, would stand no nonsense from anyone if it meant getting the job done.

Long term I’d probably go for a younger manager, not necessarily proven at this level, but one that has achieved measurable success and, as others have suggested, perhaps we need to spread the search abroad, although I don’t have any knowledge of up and coming Foreign Managers.

SL is under pressure with this next appointment, as he has not exactly covered himself in glory with the spate of managerial appointments since GJ .

5 hours ago, Fuber said:

Issue with Howe is that he's only done well at Bournemout with supreme backing; was lacklustre at Burnley - where he was replaced by Dyche who the next season immediately broke records using pretty much the same squad barring one or two additions.

For those two fellas you could read Pearson and Rainieri; the former did the solid groundwork while the latter finished the job.

Most on that list won't come because either they're financial demands are beyond us or the fact we're looking for a head coach not a manager. It may be splitting hairs, but experienced championship (and beyond) candidates want to manage, have control, dictate transfer policy.... All the things our esteemed CEO currently does.
FWIW, I voted for Howe but without any sense of realism. I hope Cook gets it if not.  I think Big Mick is just not the right fit, he may save us this season but his reputation for direct football would soon have the moaners going at it, and as for Pearson, that's a board room punch up waiting to happen.

It’s a long list, but what sticks out is that Howe and Cook respectively each have 30% of the vote. Not overwhelming, but significantly above any other candidate. 

Whether they’ll come is another matter, acknowledging KITRs insight on other posts re Cook.

The point is make now re Cook and “working within” the structure (although I think there will be a nuancing to MAs role and SLs interview on Radio Bristol seemed to indicate he knew that would have to happen) is that he’s now 7 months out of work. We forget sometimes that we are probably, what, the 30th most attractive job in English Football - and most on that list aren’t getting 20-25 of those as a minimum and management is a game you need to be “in” to not be forgotten. Even with Ashton, we are an attractive proposition. Without him on the football side, we’re even better - but I don’t rule out people being totally uninterested because of the structure

Not saying this will happen, but the last time we hired a manager with the experience to get us out of the division we were in, was when we hired SC and that worked very well, so for gods sake SL and MA, do the same thing now and hire a manager with experience of promotion from the Championship to the Prem (or similar promotion in a top European league set up).

That experience should be the MIMIMUM requirement on the CV IMO, no experiments for the 3rd manager in a row, it’s not worked and is a complete lottery with inexperienced managers, go for experience.  In no other line of work would you put a novice into the top job to see how it goes, you go for experience.

Archived