IGNORED

Runners and Riders - New Manager Poll

Dynamite Red

Next City Manager   

1030 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Paul Tisdale should be on that list.

Sure he failed at the Rovers but that was down to Garner's moneyball team of inexperienced players and the absence of an experienced striker.

His Exeter teams were always a great mixture of youth - he was excellent at developing players - and older experienced players providing the backbone of the side including several ex-City players who were well into their thirties.

The only manager who can keep the Rovers up with their squad is someone like Graham Coughlan who can grind out sufficient points by ugly route one tactics.

The only black mark against Tisdale is for taking the job with that squad in the first place; he should have realised that it was an impossible job.

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am surprised that so few people seem interested in Darren Moore, he has improved both of the teams he has Managed, and could have been a premiership Manager if WBA's owners hadn't decided 2nd wasn't good enough. 

I would still prefer Howe, but it just seems a low level of votes.

I am surprised that so few people seem interested in Darren Moore, he has improved both of the teams he has Managed, and could have been a premiership Manager if WBA's owners hadn't decided 2nd wasn't good enough. 

I think fans are just crying out for someone proven. We’ve had ‘project’ type appointments for the last 5 years. 

Over 7 of the last decade if you include McInnes and Millen. 

19 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Appleton now favourite with the bookies 

Just saw this myself, how depressing. The right man for Mark Ashton but not Bristol City.

If we employ him what’s next? Another of Ashton’s mates to be kit man? 

Apart from all that for me he doesn’t have the mandatory job requirement of having experience of getting into the Premier League, which I thought was the point. 

Not in favour of Appleton at all but avoiding relegation is priority No 1. This is currently a present danger. We’ve probably pulled the trigger early enough but with no possibility of bringing in new players, we need to find those extra points from somewhere. That needs to be allied to football which includes having attacking play and shots on goal. Experience of getting into the prem? Not really relevant at the moment is it?

3 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/13941258/bournemouth-woodgate-temporary-manager/ 

Holding for Lampard or Terry or someone else for a week or two - then to us.

Woodgate has always liked City and is a person who has met SL many times.

Perfect place to start over after Boro - get 4 wins this season and he's got a 3 yr deal in the bag.

Nothing from a source, just a feeling.

But a warm squidgy feeling. Almost tingly.

He's be a good fit. Subservient, but has the honours on the board to get respect from fellow pros.

Cheap too.

I'd be amazed if Ashton hadn't had a chat, with SL's approval.

⚽

Ask the Boro fans what they thought about Woodgate.

Its almost an exact replica of what everyone said on here about Holden. 

2 hours ago, One Team said:

This has a depressing inevitability about it.

I agree with you, fans will be so disappointed and angry if Appleton gets it.

If Appleton gets it I will seriously lose my sh!t.

The only scenario he should be anywhere near the job would be once we are in league 1. That will be soon enough if he gets it. One of the other options mentioned was to leave it until the summer. Yes it was the EP that mentioned it but that can't even an option can it? Mind you, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Nah. I think even Ashton is wise enough to realise the fans have had a stomach full of his mates getting jobs. 

Reckon Appleton is just being used as a lever on Cook to either accept our set up (please don’t) or reduce his demands (please do, if they’re outrageous).

3 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

And therefore perfect for Lansdown.

It's like walking through cement on here sometimes.

Whoosh!!! ? Sorry!

Given some of the suggestions we've seen, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that somebody might think its a good idea!!

Playing devils advocate here, because I'd certainly rather somebody else, but if Appleton and Ashton had never met, would everybody be so against his appointment?

Ticks some (not all) of the boxes people are asking for - A promotion on his CV and a chance of second this season, managed/assisted at the highest level, gone on to gain experience in the lower leagues and his making his way back up the ladder. 

9 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Playing devils advocate here, because I'd certainly rather somebody else, but if Appleton and Ashton had never met, would everybody be so against his appointment?

Ticks some (not all) of the boxes people are asking for - A promotion on his CV and a chance of second this season, managed/assisted at the highest level, gone on to gain experience in the lower leagues and his making his way back up the ladder. 

Like it or not he’s done well in last two jobs, 45% win rate, currently top of League 1.  Not my choice as I want something with experience of getting to Prem, but I don’t think he is as bad as some are making out, certainly has more credentials than LJ had and definitely more than DH

15 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I think what you’ve got to consider now is, rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that we’ve tried to do the managerial role “on the cheap” and the ambition displayed in the redevelopment of AG, the training ground and £millions spent on players is seen as being in stark contrast to the money spent on management of the side.

Lets ignore its Michael Appleton and its Ashtons mate (btw I don’t think he’ll be appointed). With the above considered, if we appoint a man who’d managed at L2/L1 but failed at this level (albeit some time ago), would people consider the appointment matched the rhetoric?

We’ve just been burnt with the “best human for the job” as opposed to proven ability at this level. I don’t see us doing the same again.

(BTW Cook is different as he has no real blemishes on CV, recent experience at this level and a great track record of player development)

Just now, Gert Mare said:

7F264211-B28C-46FA-90B9-E9217CA28AFA.thumb.jpeg.6ac7b5c5ac7da1da7cab44f5902d58ec.jpeg

And who would blame him. We are a laughing stock in the wider football community.

You do realise that’s not the real Matt Le Tissier and just one of our fans with his opinion? You just as well have quoted Stoney Garnett for all he knows Howe and the wider football world opinion.

You know when you’re on the real Tiss’ account when you see the casual sexism and anti-lockdown/vaccination hyperbole.

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You do realise that’s not the real Matt Le Tissier and just one of our fans with his opinion? You just as well have quoted Stoney Garnett for all he knows Howe and the wider football world opinion.

You know when you’re on the real Tiss’ account when you see the casual sexism and anti-lockdown/vaccination hyperbole.

I too checked his credibility and gave it a zero rating. 

26 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Equally, there’s something irritating when fans talk in definites’ without any knowledge.

”No chance.”

“Move on. Next.”

“Close thread.”

It’s a weird way to speak without and inside knowledge but you see it all the time, even on this forum on threads about potential managers and player signings.

56 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think what you’ve got to consider now is, rightly or wrongly, there is a perception that we’ve tried to do the managerial role “on the cheap” and the ambition displayed in the redevelopment of AG, the training ground and £millions spent on players is seen as being in stark contrast to the money spent on management of the side.

Lets ignore its Michael Appleton and its Ashtons mate (btw I don’t think he’ll be appointed). With the above considered, if we appoint a man who’d managed at L2/L1 but failed at this level (albeit some time ago), would people consider the appointment matched the rhetoric?

We’ve just been burnt with the “best human for the job” as opposed to proven ability at this level. I don’t see us doing the same again.

(BTW Cook is different as he has no real blemishes on CV, recent experience at this level and a great track record of player development)

For perspective, he only had 15 games at Blackburn. And I think they were on to about their 4th manager that season. They were an absolute basket case of a club.

I don't think we'll get him, and I hope we are looking further afield but just trying to view it without my opinion of Mark Ashton impacting my assessment of his managerial credentials.

Archived