IGNORED

Runners and Riders - New Manager Poll

Dynamite Red

Next City Manager   

1030 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, bris red said:

Why are we always linked to this ******* Appleton bloke? You’d have to genuinely question Steve Lansdowns motivations if we do go for him. 

Perhaps Steve’s motivations are - perhaps I should’ve listened to MA and the board in Jan 2016, when they all selected Appleton, yet I overruled them and went with my pet project, Lee Johnson.

FWIW I just want the right manager, there is no intel that Appleton is an Ashton-lapdog, just that he was wanted before and he worked with Ashton before.  Of course there could be no smoke without fire.

But for now, I’m just keeping an open mind on who we get.  Need to do a bit of research on Appleton.  

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps Steve’s motivations are - perhaps I should’ve listened to MA and the board in Jan 2016, when they all selected Appleton, yet I overruled them and went with my pet project, Lee Johnson.

FWIW I just want the right manager, there is no intel that Appleton is an Ashton-lapdog, just that he was wanted before and he worked with Ashton before.  Of course there could be no smoke without fire.

But for now, I’m just keeping an open mind on who we get.  Need to do a bit of research on Appleton.  

That’s the thing about Appleton. Lots of people against the appointment because of the insinuation he’s close with Ashton and because he’s lower league.

His patchy record 8/9 years ago at troubled clubs isn't that relevant imo. It was too long ago, small sample size for each and all of them troubled in one way or another.

His recent record is good, but that’s only the top level stats. I’d like to know more about him so would be interested if you come up with any analysis.

13 hours ago, weepywall said:

It's a small betting market and I think bookies have a low maximum bet on this type of bet, it only takes a few £20 bets for someones odds to change dramatically, I happen to be itk on one of the out of work managers on the list although he is some way down so if you see  someone come in from the 20,s/1 to favourite that will be down to me.??

Ha ha! 

2 hours ago, Kibs said:

Playing devils advocate here, because I'd certainly rather somebody else, but if Appleton and Ashton had never met, would everybody be so against his appointment?

Ticks some (not all) of the boxes people are asking for - A promotion on his CV and a chance of second this season, managed/assisted at the highest level, gone on to gain experience in the lower leagues and his making his way back up the ladder. 

It’s an interesting point but he still doesn’t have mandatory job requirement number one for me, that of promotion to Prem experience. 

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

Nah. I think even Ashton is wise enough to realise the fans have had a stomach full of his mates getting jobs. 

Reckon Appleton is just being used as a lever on Cook to either accept our set up (please don’t) or reduce his demands (please do, if they’re outrageous).

I’d love to agree with you mate but I don’t think he does. 

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s the thing about Appleton. Lots of people against the appointment because of the insinuation he’s close with Ashton and because he’s lower league.

His patchy record 8/9 years ago at troubled clubs isn't that relevant imo. It was too long ago, small sample size for each and all of them troubled in one way or another.

His recent record is good, but that’s only the top level stats. I’d like to know more about him so would be interested if you come up with any analysis.

His period of managing those 'troubled' clubs may actually make him a better manager in the long run....

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

It’s an interesting point but he still doesn’t have mandatory job requirement number one for me, that of promotion to Prem experience. 

Genuine question (I'm just interested). Based on your number one criteria, would you then take someone like Tony Pulis or Harry Redknapp in preference to say Paul Cook?

18 minutes ago, sludge said:

Genuine question (I'm just interested). Based on your number one criteria, would you then take someone like Tony Pulis or Harry Redknapp in preference to say Paul Cook?

I wouldn’t say it’s just my criteria, it’s my perception of what SL has said and therefore we should be looking for.

Its a good point you make but in Pulis it would just never happen after his last time here; and I think the feeling is mutual by the way.

Rednapp I would think is too old now and I think he’s already said he’s retired now? 

36 minutes ago, One Team said:

I wouldn’t say it’s just my criteria, it’s my perception of what SL has said and therefore we should be looking for.

Its a good point you make but in Pulis it would just never happen after his last time here; and I think the feeling is mutual by the way.

Rednapp I would think is too old now and I think he’s already said he’s retired now? 

God knows mate. I just wish we were more like Southampton and Norwich when it comes to choosing managers.

British or foreign, experienced and proven or young and modern, they both seem to get it right more often than not. 

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Paul Tisdale should be on that list.

Sure he failed at the Rovers but that was down to Garner's moneyball team of inexperienced players and the absence of an experienced striker.

His Exeter teams were always a great mixture of youth - he was excellent at developing players - and older experienced players providing the backbone of the side including several ex-City players who were well into their thirties.

The only manager who can keep the Rovers up with their squad is someone like Graham Coughlan who can grind out sufficient points by ugly route one tactics.

The only black mark against Tisdale is for taking the job with that squad in the first place; he should have realised that it was an impossible job.

Exeter under his tenure were one of the most dour and tedious teams to watch, under this reasoning we may as well get John Still in through the door. 

37 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

The only time SL made the right appointment was with Coppell.

Shame he saw what a **** of a club we are at ownership level and fooked off.

Cotterell the exception of course

Coppell- one of the worst appointments we have ever made and that's saying something.

22 minutes ago, ben91tucker said:

Podcast page run by Gregor and Michelle Owen

Screenshot_20210218-133351_Twitter.jpg

That's encouraging.  That was the approach taken when we recruited Gary Johnson.

Look at what you want and who is out there that fits the profile and go after them.

None of this pointless long drawn out interview process that purely serves to make us look like a bunch of clueless corporate suits: "So Mr Hughton, what do you do?".

31 minutes ago, RedHienz said:

Exeter under his tenure were one of the most dour and tedious teams to watch, under this reasoning we may as well get John Still in through the door. 

I see the counter argument but I would like to see him given a run here and said so prior to both Lee and Dean's appointments.  I'm not starting a new thread about because I don't wish to be a pain about it but think he ought to be under consideration.

Yes knocking options on polls is easy and people rush to do it but why on earth is, say, Sol Campbell on there when Paul Tisdale isn't?

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I see the counter argument but I would like to see him given a run here and said so prior to both Lee and Dean's appointments.  I'm not starting a new thread about because I don't wish to be a pain about it but think he ought to be under consideration.

Yes knocking options on polls is easy and people rush to do it but why on earth is, say, Sol Campbell on there when Paul Tisdale isn't?

I see your point, its a massively uninspiring list - his name wouldn't look out of place on it that's for sure.

Given his track record, poor football and now mired by a terrible run with out neighbors it would be a miracle if he was considered - plus remember he isn't a magician. 

13 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

How did it set the club back years?

Because we effectively wasted that summer and any plan that we had of pushing on as a team, Keith Millen in full time for me was a knee jerk reaction, playing very much as Gary did which the majority of fans had enough of.

Roll on a season and welcome to McInnis' mediocrity which quickly transformed us into relegation contenders before we had to endure the WORST manager we have had in SOD. Yes watched Pulis ball but that beats watching a team of loans passing it around doing nothing.

So, through Coppell we wasted at least 2 years and can at a stretch be attributed to more, waste of time, money and energy typing this as all opinions. 

Pray we get someone decent in.

2 hours ago, ben91tucker said:

Podcast page run by Gregor and Michelle Owen

Screenshot_20210218-133351_Twitter.jpg

That's good I think (if correct). No time for a self-indulgent interview process with a mid-season appointment; identify who/what you want and go and get them. Might flatter them a bit more that way too.

Archived