IGNORED

Runners and Riders - New Manager Poll

Dynamite Red

Next City Manager   

1030 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RedHienz said:

Because we effectively wasted that summer and any plan that we had of pushing on as a team, Keith Millen in full time for me was a knee jerk reaction, playing very much as Gary did which the majority of fans had enough of.

Roll on a season and welcome to McInnis' mediocrity which quickly transformed us into relegation contenders before we had to endure the WORST manager we have had in SOD. Yes watched Pulis ball but that beats watching a team of loans passing it around doing nothing.

So, through Coppell we wasted at least 2 years and can at a stretch be attributed to more, waste of time, money and energy typing this as all opinions. 

Pray we get someone decent in.

So maybe a year was wasted.

The rest was down to incompetent appointments by SL/Board

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

So I get another chance, and so soon...

But I guess with WHam flying high in there is no possibility. :sad26:Least my hopes won’t be built up this time huh?

I think there were times when we might have tempted him back again....when his stock was low. From what we know about Pulis' appointment there would need to be considerable bridge building even though that episode was nearly 22 (!) years ago.

I'm not sure why but I still think David Moyes would be interested if the stars aligned. It won't be this time and I guess he'll be looking for retirement sooner or later. Shame he's doing so well at West Ham!!

I have always felt that McInnes was the one decision that should have worked, and was a relatively inspired choice. He had achieved some success at St Johnstone, including a promotion, avoided relegation in his first season when replacing Millen and we actually played some good football at times. Plus he seemed a genuine bloke if you can recall the Birmingham minibus episode. However he was told money was tight and that budgets would be cut, plus we gathered a few Scottish players who just weren’t up to it, performances and results deteriorated badly in the run up to New Year so out he went, back to Scotland. Clearly the SPL is nothing like the Championship in terms of its competitiveness (2 lower PL level teams, a few Championship level teams, the rest League 1 level at best) but ever since he has done a pretty good job at Aberdeen on a fairly tight budget, with a win percentage of over 50%, a Scottish League Cup win, and European qualification for a number of seasons, so the reality is that he can manage, just it didn’t work out with us.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I see the counter argument but I would like to see him given a run here and said so prior to both Lee and Dean's appointments.  I'm not starting a new thread about because I don't wish to be a pain about it but think he ought to be under consideration.

Yes knocking options on polls is easy and people rush to do it but why on earth is, say, Sol Campbell on there when Paul Tisdale isn't?

Sorry Eddie I think you’re crackers - Did you hear his post matches at the Gas

Tisdale .....

God   NO

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps Steve’s motivations are - perhaps I should’ve listened to MA and the board in Jan 2016, when they all selected Appleton, yet I overruled them and went with my pet project, Lee Johnson.

FWIW I just want the right manager, there is no intel that Appleton is an Ashton-lapdog, just that he was wanted before and he worked with Ashton before.  Of course there could be no smoke without fire.

But for now, I’m just keeping an open mind on who we get.  Need to do a bit of research on Appleton.  

I'm sure Appleton was Lord Voldemort from the Harry Potter franchise. I'm off to research.

9 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Paul Tisdale should be on that list.

Sure he failed at the Rovers but that was down to Garner's moneyball team of inexperienced players and the absence of an experienced striker.

His Exeter teams were always a great mixture of youth - he was excellent at developing players - and older experienced players providing the backbone of the side including several ex-City players who were well into their thirties.

The only manager who can keep the Rovers up with their squad is someone like Graham Coughlan who can grind out sufficient points by ugly route one tactics.

The only black mark against Tisdale is for taking the job with that squad in the first place; he should have realised that it was an impossible job.

Can you imagine! 

Lee Johnson is sacked for failing to get in to the playoffs.

LJ replaced with his own assistant who had virtually no management experience. 

DH also sacked as the board become surprised to learn that he wasn’t able to miraculously guide us to the playoffs or better. 

and then...and then the board employ the man Bristol Rovers have just sacked for having them continue to clown around in the L1 relegation zone, losing 6-1 to Accrington milking Stanley!!! 

Parents Will Farrel GIF

This forum would be better viewing than any City game that’s for sure! 

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

I have always felt that McInnes was the one decision that should have worked, and was a relatively inspired choice. He had achieved some success at St Johnstone, including a promotion, avoided relegation in his first season when replacing Millen and we actually played some good football at times. Plus he seemed a genuine bloke if you can recall the Birmingham minibus episode. However he was told money was tight and that budgets would be cut, plus we gathered a few Scottish players who just weren’t up to it, performances and results deteriorated badly in the run up to New Year so out he went, back to Scotland. Clearly the SPL is nothing like the Championship in terms of its competitiveness (2 lower PL level teams, a few Championship level teams, the rest League 1 level at best) but ever since he has done a pretty good job at Aberdeen on a fairly tight budget, with a win percentage of over 50%, a Scottish League Cup win, and European qualification for a number of seasons, so the reality is that he can manage, just it didn’t work out with us.

McInnes arrived at the wrong time sadly. The club was a mess behind the scenes by all accounts and he was also challenged with having to reduce the wage bill at the same time.

Despite his time at City I think he’s still a very good manager

4 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

McInnes arrived at the wrong time sadly. The club was a mess behind the scenes by all accounts and he was also challenged with having to reduce the wage bill at the same time.

Signing richard foster didnt really help is cause to be fair

8 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

This he did a lot to help restructure the club behind the scenes that managers who came after him got the benefit of,

He's done a good job in Scotland would be happy to see him get another chance at city 

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

I think that, in part, he was the architect of his own downfall. He did the difficult bit of avoiding relegation in his first season, but just didn’t realise that players who could get by in Scottish football just weren’t good enough for the Championship. Most / all of the players he signed from Scotland were awful. So awful that I’ve forgotten who they were. I know that he was working with a tight budget but there must have been some decent EFL players he could have afforded 

1 minute ago, pongo88 said:

I think that, in part, he was the architect of his own downfall. He did the difficult bit of avoiding relegation in his first season, but just didn’t realise that players who could get by in Scottish football just weren’t good enough for the Championship. Most / all of the players he signed from Scotland were awful. So awful that I’ve forgotten who they were. I know that he was working with a tight budget but there must have been some decent EFL players he could have afforded 

Richard Foster, hmmmm. Was Ryan McGivern one of McInness' as well? Stephen Pearson?

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

We certainly did not get the best out of McInnes which I have always felt rather sad about. Throughout his playing career he was a "leader" and has proved to be a very useful manager at Aberdeen. But while we were in a helluva mess when he arrived here, he foretold the future by giving Joe Bryan his debut.

And he began sorting the mess out followed by S'OD who also did a lot. Neither had much chance to do more but did lay the ground for Cotta to get the results he did.

I know some have a different view of McInnes but that is mine. I wouldn't be averse to him coming back but he would not touch us with a giant barge pole!

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I wasn’t watching City with as much interest as I did when I started taking Joe in 13/14 under SOD, but it is interesting that Ashton started interfering in 2012, with the Head of Recruitment let go during that period.  Deja vu?  Someone provided me with a list of players recruited under Russ Richardson / McInnes and Ashton / McInnes and the big difference is volume of players.  From my view there was mixed quality in the list under both, so can’t draw too many conclusions

25 minutes ago, bredwood said:

Mods. Can we find out the 3 people who voted for Tony Pulis and ban them from the forum please?

Click on the small person icon to the right of the poll next to Pulis, and you can see for yourself who voted for them! 

One person not on the list who has more chance than most on there is Mark Robins. Not my choice but been strongly linked before. I always had a funny feeling that Dean was keeping the seat warm for him. Couldn't leave Coventry last summer following promotion but may have been tempted this summer.

Ainsworth would be another...taken Wycombe as far as he can, time for a new challenge etc

14 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

One person not on the list who has more chance than most on there is Mark Robins. Not my choice but been strongly linked before. I always had a funny feeling that Dean was keeping the seat warm for him. Couldn't leave Coventry last summer following promotion but may have been tempted this summer.

Ainsworth would be another...taken Wycombe as far as he can, time for a new challenge etc

I’d take Robins TBF. Good football. Walsh would probably sign...

19 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Mark Robins is a dark horse for the job and one people have overlooked.. I’d much prefer him over somebody like Appleton.

Archived