IGNORED

Lansbury

ray savino

What now for a strange signing whodescribed our departed coach as exciting? Oh yes the treatment table.

Seriously, a strange signing. I thought he might have been a bit of a Paul Hartley motivator type, but although a decent player, hasn’t seemed to have added anything influential to games.

This does smack of desperately bringing in any name and hope it works.

I think the opposite, I think Holden had a clear idea to have that type of player in the team. Both in play style and their amazing leadership.

He signed Chris Brunt, a slow, technical passer, and had him play that "6" role and it was  awful, and then he had Lansbury do it too. We started with Massengo in that role and it was also horrible. When we played Bakinson, then Nagy, it was better, so naturally Holden went away from that. Neither of those two are perfect for it, but they were better.

I think by his skill set he'd have put Walsh there too.

His plan A wasn't very good IMO.

Also on Lansbury, Cardiff, misses Sheff Utd, Watford, Reading. Three awful performances, personally and as a team. But then why did you sign a player like that who's also not match fit and put him in that role?

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

I think the opposite, I think Holden had a clear idea to have that type of player in the team. Both in play style and their amazing leadership.

He signed Chris Brunt, a slow, technical passer, and had him play that "6" role and it was  awful, and then he had Lansbury do it too. We started with Massengo in that role and it was also horrible. When we played Bakinson, then Nagy, it was better, so naturally Holden went away from that. Neither of those two are perfect for it, but they were better.

His plan A was what we saw that won us 4/4 at the start before the injuries really started kicking in 

I am pretty sure whoever comes in will still try and build the side around him for the remaining games, no lack of effort from him last night and got the tackles in, he is very "ring rusty" as has not played a lot in recent years, but everyone in our team are misplacing passes, he is at least getting a good percentage on target and very few are sideways / back etc.

I think he is still a class act in a mid-field with little experience and even less bite.

13 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

His plan A was what we saw that won us 4/4 at the start before the injuries really started kicking in 

No, plan A was the Coventry game. We didn't play well there.

We had to change to Bakinson from Massengo immediately because Holden misjudged the skill set and what was needed for the system.

He's looked a bit lost to me. Lets judge him if/when he plays in a role he can actually play, and for a coach who has at least some idea of how to get the team playing in the oppositions half - where he is at his best. 

29 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I think the big problem was that he didn’t have a Plan B or C, when it was evident he needed one after 10/12 games. 

He decided wingers weren't for him right off the bat. I bet he wished he had one or two left in his squad when plan A started to break down.

40 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

I am pretty sure whoever comes in will still try and build the side around him for the remaining games, no lack of effort from him last night and got the tackles in, he is very "ring rusty" as has not played a lot in recent years, but everyone in our team are misplacing passes, he is at least getting a good percentage on target and very few are sideways / back etc.

I think he is still a class act in a mid-field with little experience and even less bite.

He couldn't wait to get off the pitch.  Never want to see him in a city shirt again.  He's an experienced player with no discernible leadership behaviours.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

Also on Lansbury, Cardiff, misses Sheff Utd, Watford, Reading. Three awful performances, personally and as a team. But then why did you sign a player like that who's also not match fit and put him in that role?

Yeah this. Although as much that DH wanted a 'been there and done it' 'personality' in the dressing room as much as the style of player. But I don't think HL would have been signed in Brunt had stayed. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think Lansbury has looked awful. Yes, a few decent long passes down the sides. That says a lot that Rowe and the other bloke were getting so excited by a few decent long balls from one player.

He just doesn't look interested in protecting the defence to me. I really don't get the signing. Bakinson was superb there, then Nagy came in and played the best football since he's been with us, in his holding role. But since Nagy been more box to box he's been nowhere near as good.

Vyner then seemed the main man and actually did really well most games. Lansbury is behind all those for me in that role. He isn't a holding midfielder. 

It's not his role though, he's an attacking mid not a defensive one. He can't tackle to save his life

38 minutes ago, The Bard said:

He couldn't wait to get off the pitch.  Never want to see him in a city shirt again.  He's an experienced player with no discernible leadership behaviours.

He's an experienced player who's been promoted from this league several times that's been played completely out of position, and probably not 100% fit either.

I don't blame him for last night at all, as I said on the match day thread he took a knock that he seemed to struggle with, he then limped away from a tackle and immediately Holden made 2 changes and left him on the pitch!

He then had to come off a minute or two later as he made a pass and was clearly in discomfort. I'd have been fuming too if I was him - if you're about to make a double change, you at least check that Lansbury's ok to continue before bringing them on

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Exactly!

So I can understand his signing IF he was to play in the right position. Hopefully a new manager sees that. Was odd bringing him in and recalling Palmer, but I think HL if played correctly and fit *could* be a good signing, though I said at the time it was about 3-4 years too late from when I really wanted him here

12 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He's an experienced player who's been promoted from this league several times that's been played completely out of position, and probably not 100% fit either.

I don't blame him for last night at all, as I said on the match day thread he took a knock that he seemed to struggle with, he then limped away from a tackle and immediately Holden made 2 changes and left him on the pitch!

He then had to come off a minute or two later as he made a pass and was clearly in discomfort. I'd have been fuming too if I was him - if you're about to make a double change, you at least check that Lansbury's ok to continue before bringing them on

Yeah, I remember that moment & along with many moments this season i was thinking WTF. At the very least you hold off on making the substitution for a couple of minutes & reassess. COYR

2 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Yeah, I remember that moment & along with many moments this season i was thinking WTF. At the very least you hold off on making the substitution for a couple of minutes & reassess. COYR

I think that was my final " he has to go " moment.

It makes the injury speculation much more interesting. If he's willing to leave a player on so obviously like that, how many more have been told to "get on with it" in training or matches when carrying a knock?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think Lansbury has looked awful. Yes, a few decent long passes down the sides. That says a lot that Rowe and the other bloke were getting so excited by a few decent long balls from one player.

He just doesn't look interested in protecting the defence to me. I really don't get the signing. Bakinson was superb there, then Nagy came in and played the best football since he's been with us, in his holding role. But since Nagy been more box to box he's been nowhere near as good.

Vyner then seemed the main man and actually did really well most games. Lansbury is behind all those for me in that role. He isn't a holding midfielder. 

We are a nice little earner until he moves on to MLS or similar. No effort just having a nice kick about

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

I think that was my final " he has to go " moment.

It makes the injury speculation much more interesting. If he's willing to leave a player on so obviously like that, how many more have been told to "get on with it" in training or matches when carrying a knock?

Could have a point on the injury front. Ive had multiple moments to be honest, from playing Weimann in a midfield 3 (people will point to results at the time, but good teams were going to suss that out fairly quickly imo), to having 4 strikers on the pitch ( to say we had a go ), to visiting the Three Lions nonsense, to saying what the fans wanted to hear about attacking front foot football & im a football fan, to going back to signing 30 somethings. Back end of last season was poor imo as well, no structure, just get as many forwards on the pitch as possible, would have to rewatch ( but wont put myself through that ), but I remember thinking it was poor. As you can see, never a fan, but i did want him to do well, just didn’t believe he would. COYR

Pointless signing and an unnecessary expense. 
Even if it was worth bringing him in, you don’t do it on the proviso you play him out of position. 
An utterly ludicrous sequence of events that just sum up the incompetence of those in charge. 

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

I couldn't believe it when he wasn't immediately subbed when injured given our record this season but maybe DH knew he was on his way out by then, will probably be out for a while now.

Especially after he'd tried to tackle Joao, failed, fouled him, and came off worse.

Just about sums us up.

3 hours ago, harvey54 said:

He's come into a team that's bereft of form and confidence with Coaches that are out of their depth. The next manager might get a decent tune out of him to be fair 

Would that tune be "Air on a Hamstring” ?

Archived