IGNORED

Massengo, Semenyo, Bakinson

Nugget

I think Bakinson can feel particularly hard done by. In those early wins he showed real purpose and a desire to make key passes. Then suddenly bombed out. 

He reminds me a little of Bobby Reid as a midfielder in a way. Excellent going forward, but a little bit of a liability when defending, giving the ball away too easily. I hope he can be polished by a proper coach. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure if Massengo still needs a loan. A fantastic prospect, but I think a full season away in league one would help him massively. But who knows, maybe a new manager will see him as more important than what Holden did. Maybe he gets moved further forward behind a striker or something like he does for France.

Bakinson, well why isn't he starting. Seems like every time Holden brought him on recently he improved us. So comfortable on the ball, adds a bit of height to what is not the tallest of sides. Just looks class to me.

Semenyo not starting is ridiculous. How on earth could Holden go with Diedhiou over him. Crazy imo

Because Semenyo very rarely scores at championship level...

Maybe that?

In my opinion massengo in that Reading midfield would be brilliant. Needs games, agree, but he can do it we’ve seen it. 
Bakinson was driving forward as was Semenyo... one run from deep past 2/3 players was a rare highlight, perhaps striker not his long term position, but he’s going for it & his body language alone is polar opposite to Fam & Wells 

Massengo, Nagy and Bakinson should be a decent 3 in midfield as they all offer something slightly different but will also just keep running.

However I don’t think we have ever started with that combination or with those 3 and others around them under Holden.

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Because Semenyo very rarely scores at championship level...

Maybe that?

Semenyo is a really tricky problem. 

On the positive side he is strong, he is one of the few people who can beat players and go on a run.

On the negative side he gives a foul away almost every time he tries to win back possession, at the end of his runs the final pass or shot is awful.

He is a very rough diamond that needs a lot of polishing. Not 100% sure he will reach Championship standard unless he gets a great mentor and learns fast. In fairness who can he learn from at the club currently. Certainly not Wells Fam or Pato

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure if Massengo still needs a loan. A fantastic prospect, but I think a full season away in league one would help him massively. But who knows, maybe a new manager will see him as more important than what Holden did. Maybe he gets moved further forward behind a striker or something like he does for France.

Bakinson, well why isn't he starting. Seems like every time Holden brought him on recently he improved us. So comfortable on the ball, adds a bit of height to what is not the tallest of sides. Just looks class to me.

Semenyo not starting is ridiculous. How on earth could Holden go with Diedhiou over him. Crazy imo

The only way a loan will benefit Massengo is if he goes somewhere where the coaching staff know how to improve his all round game, otherwise he should stay with us.

Despite being with us for a season and a half, we have not identified his best position, the best way of utilising him, or improved on his natural strengths.

The kid is playing on natural instinct, muscle memory and what he was taught prior to joining us, and still has been our best player in the last month.

I think Massengo is a fantastic prospect... But he needs to correct coach. 

Bakinson has been one of our best players this season and is only going to get better. 

Semenyo is the Enigma, you can see flashes of sheer brilliance and he always gives 100% but he is very unpolished. Maybe a league one loan where he will get 40 games would benefit him. 

19 minutes ago, Red7 said:

I think Nagy could be an exceptional player for us under the guidance of an excellent coach/tactician.
I'd much rather see hiders/arm-wavers like Paterson offloaded.

We have seen nothing from him. For an international you expect much more from him.

Did not understand why hapless Dean was not a bit braver trying to save his job, instead of going for the experience that has got him in trouble in the first place. Several of the last games we have looked so much better, when Bakinson, HNM, Palmer, Semenyo and Nagy have been on the pitch, why because we try to play football and not just hoof the ball to a disinterested Fam.

FWIW, I think Bakinson will go on to play at a very high level and be worth a hell of a lot of money one day, for such a young player his vision and passing is exceptional, closely followed by HNM

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I think Bakinson can feel particularly hard done by. In those early wins he showed real purpose and a desire to make key passes. Then suddenly bombed out. 

He reminds me a little of Bobby Reid as a midfielder in a way. Excellent going forward, but a little bit of a liability when defending, giving the ball away too easily. I hope he can be polished by a proper coach. 

Bakinson has been far better than any other midfielder in his last two brief sub appearances.  Please get fit soon Joe Williams.  Can see them working well together.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep should have gone for it. If he'd won and played well doing it then suddenly we have something we can move forward with.

Play like that yesterday and somehow win and we'd still be thinking his time is up soon enough

To be honest, other than some exceptional performances and won the next few games by several goals maybe could have saved him, but listening to SL it sounded like when rather than if.

The thing i like about Bakinson is he always wants to play forward. 

He's got that vision to hit a first time creative pass. I dont think you can coach that into a player. Perhaps when and how to do it can be coached but he's got a really nice natural game.

Certainly more to come from him.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bakinson has been far better than any other midfielder in his last two brief sub appearances.  Please get fit soon Joe Williams.  Can see them working well together.

He kept underhitting passes yesterday which most of them did to be fair.

Re this thread, I think anyone that writes off Bakinson, Massengo and/or Semenyo is being rash. They’re not the finished product but have all shown an aptitude in what is a seriously tough league to shine in. Reid and Bryan went through this inconsistent stage too. It takes time.

All these players are going to be crucial for this club moving forwards, you also have to include Towler and Moore plus other young players. There are going to be managers out there looking at our current crop of young players, thinking what they could do with them in the right set up, coached properly and taught to play with confidence instead of fear. This will make us an attractive proposition to some would be managers, it's down to the hierarchy being bold enough to make the right decision and if that man can work with Ashton. 

For a young lad in a side that have lacked any real quality going forward for most of the season, I actually think Semenyos amount of goal involvements has been quite good. 

We have some really promising young players coming through. Yes they are inconsistent but most youngsters are.

2 hours ago, Red7 said:

I think Nagy could be an exceptional player for us under the guidance of an excellent coach/tactician.
I'd much rather see hiders/arm-wavers like Paterson offloaded.

I agree with this. I think there is still a general problem that it is really unclear what our best midfield combination is, and I am not sure if Nagy fits into it or not, but on the face of it, I don’t see him as one of our major problems. I’ve had enough of Paterson and (when fit) O’Dowda’s lack of consistency, feel Lansbury is yet to prove he can go back to playing regularly in the Championship, and we don’t know where Walsh is with his contact. Of the players in the squad Nagy, Williams and ideally Walsh, along with Massengo and Bakinson, with Vyner and (if he stays) Weimann able to drop in, are the midfielders I’d go forward with next season.

Obviously that could all change depending on transfer budgets and who else we can sign but I’d want us to focus our budget on full backs, a centre back, forwards and wide players ahead of more midfielders.

2 hours ago, Super said:

We have seen nothing from him. For an international you expect much more from him.

You may have seen nothing from him, but I've seen plenty from him that indicates he could be an exceptional player in this country: tactical awareness, ball control, game reading, boundless energy. As it is, I think he's been pretty good for us this season, although the bar has been set pretty low by some of his team-mates.

4 hours ago, Super said:

Totally agree. Hopefully seen the last of Nagy. 

I disagree. I think a new manager would like the look of Nagy, he has shown in glimpses at least that he has real quality about him.
He has lost his way a bit admittedly but i echo what others have said that with the right tactical guidance and in the right system he could be excellent, we shall see I suppose.

Archived