IGNORED

I love it when we’re looking for a new boss

steveybadger

Even though the chances are we’ll end up appointing Ray Graydon given our ‘mixed’ track record, there’s just that little bit of hope that we might stumble  upon the saviour who takes us to the ‘promised land’. It’s like the feeling at the start of the season before you realise you have no left backs or creative midfielders and only have strikers who average 7 goals a season, but magnified. All the reading every duplicate thread on who it could be, looking up the latest odds and wearing out the F5 key - brilliant all of it! 

Of course (copyright John Cleese) it’s the hope that kills you in the end...

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, I enjoy it too. I think new manager hunts and big transfer rumours are some of my favourite OTIB discussions.

I can’t wait until the time Nketiah looks to get into management!

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Even though the chances are we’ll end up appointing Ray Graydon given our ‘mixed’ track record, there’s just that little bit of hope that we might stumble  upon the saviour who takes us to the ‘promised land’. It’s like the feeling at the start of the season before you realise you have no left backs or creative midfielders and only have strikers who average 7 goals a season, but magnified. All the reading every duplicate thread on who it could be, looking up the latest odds and wearing out the F5 key - brilliant all of it! 

As with so much of life, the journey is usually much more enjoyable than reaching the destination.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Should be the club motto that:

"Unrealistic expectations followed by despair"

Translated into Latin that reads,   "Bristol City Football Club"

Just now, downendcity said:

As with so much of life, the journey is usually much more enjoyable than reaching the destination.

Except the Yorkshire Dales and Northumbria imo.

Certainly rings true with City and ever reaching the PL though.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Except the Yorkshire Dales and Northumbria imo.

Certainly rings true with City and ever reaching the PL though.

I would also add when I travel back “home” to Bristol or to Wiltshire to see the grandchildren

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Best thing about this is that the appointment of Ray Graydon would make more sense even now than when we gave it to Dean Holden after 6 weeks.

Personally i hate this period. All the talk about decent managers etc and ending up with some muppet. It is indeed the hope that kills you, but the feeling of dread is there. I may hide in a cupboard for a while until the next manager is appointed. 

On a brighter note, just had some dimwitted gashead making repairs to one of my doors, telling me their next manager was going to be Paul Cook - totally convinced. Bless

18 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I just hope they don't take 6 weeks again. If I recall LJ took 4 weeks? 

Be happily surprised if we see an appointment before March!

Well considering an extensive process was done 7 months ago you would like to think some of those candidates in a long list of possibles would still be an option?

repeating what has turned out to be a failure and the criteria to appoint DH I would like to think the cheap and inexperienced option has been discarded from now on and a realisation that the majority of us were right all along and a coach with a track record and someone who can deliver is a must. Yes it will cost but SL should know as a businessman you get owt for nowt!

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Personally i hate this period. All the talk about decent managers etc and ending up with some muppet. It is indeed the hope that kills you, but the feeling of dread is there. I may hide in a cupboard for a while until the next manager is appointed. 

Ive been hiding in a cupboard since the last one was appointed!

2 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Can be great fun to be on OTIB in such circumstances. Usually. I have to say I have more reservations than usual about the eventual outcome this time though. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised but feel it more likely that I'll be sadly underwhelmed. Again.

Everything crossed.

Yep, we can have a great stadium, new training facility, spend millions on players, and the one thing that we will always do is find a way to balls it up.

4 hours ago, steveybadger said:

This^. Yes! Yes, this^!

It's the week before Christmas  (have we been naughty, or nice? Answer, mostly: naughty), isn't it? The mind boggles, is freed from the turgid state of the previous weeks and months, and can now begin to dream. To imagine. To run away with itself.

This is why, in part, people agitate nowadays so much, and so soon - even mighty club owners - because of this almost dream-state that we now inhabit. It is full of possibility, and after weeks and months of not-winning and not-shooting, this moment serves as a balm to the frayed nerves and constant negativity. Sacking the latest hapless incumbent means instant feel-good

This is a pleasant state to be in. It's like we're bathing in Danish hygge, 

And then we are jolted back to some sort of wakefulness/reality when we remember that it is Stephen Lansdown that must decide on who replaces Deano, and a chill threatens to disturb the undeniable pleasant, woozy feeling that was there just now.

The come down and cold reality will not be far off - this being Bristol City - but, that is for tomorrow.  For now, we can dream.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

It's painful as it's nearly always underwhelming and sometimes 

I'm a bit confused about how they are actually going to go about getting a new manager in practice.

Last years "extensive search" took 6 weeks, and would have excluded, and annoyed a number of good applicants that were thought not to be good enough/not want we want.

Are we taking the same approach this time? Somewhat doubtful, as we simply don't have the time.

So do we adopt a different role profile that we are looking for, or try to repair the inevitable burnt bridges from the first process. Hughton and McCarthy now in jobs. Others have ruled out cook already.

Fun times ahead for sure.

3 hours ago, Sturny said:

I just hope they don't take 6 weeks again. If I recall LJ took 4 weeks? 

Be happily surprised if we see an appointment before March!

I think we will have somebody in by the end of the week personally. I think SL and the board are well aware of the dangers of being sucked into a relegation battle and will want to act fast.

12 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I'm a bit confused about how they are actually going to go about getting a new manager in practice.

Last years "extensive search" took 6 weeks, and would have excluded, and annoyed a number of good applicants that were thought not to be good enough/not want we want.

Are we taking the same approach this time? Somewhat doubtful, as we simply don't have the time.

So do we adopt a different role profile that we are looking for, or try to repair the inevitable burnt bridges from the first process. Hughton and McCarthy now in jobs. Others have ruled out cook already.

Fun times ahead for sure.

I wonder if they should skip all the processes and just ask Keith Dawe what he thinks?  Steve Cotterell was a great manager for us, and I'm not afraid to admit I was massively underwhelmed when he was appointed at the time, but he got me eating loads of humble pie.

I forsee six weeks of name-dropping...

arguing amongst ourselves about which of these qualified and proven names would do the best for us....

the excitement builds each week, reaches fever-pitch....

Press Conference takes place

Ashton steps up to the microphone and announces (drum roll).......

"We are delighted to inform you that after a rigorous selection and interview process we have appointed Paul Simpson as our new Head Coach"

(who apparently is a very nice human being).

Archived