IGNORED

Anyone else thing we'll struggle to find a decent coach?

spudski

...firstly the pool is small to choose from, which has been discussed before, because of the way the club works/ restraints etc. Not many would agree to work under it.

But then on top of that...so many injuries to the squad to key players.

Who's going to want that job?

Pressure straight away, with half a squad and not able to buy.

I feel for the next coach whoever it is.

I think any seriously good coach would demand a top down clear out.

Ashton has been a failure and is hated by the fans

Coaching staff have shown nothing in terms of player improvement and organisation

Medical staff, no need to say more

Dressing room seems wrong when players constantly follow one improved performance with a dreadful display.

For me the best solution would be to look for a very experienced manager almost ready to move upstairs. Give him total control of all football matters, ask him to appoint a good number 2 and when he us ready promote the young guy and move the older guy upstairs.

I am putting on my flak hat before the next line but what about Roy Hodgson 

2 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I just mentioned Roy on another thread, not as manager , I doubt he will carry on anyway, but as a boardroom advisor to Steve L. Certainly the club needs a jump in knowledge and experience and contacts if it is aiming higher. He has seen it all. Would be an asset for Steve L. 

That's not a bad idea Billy....

1 minute ago, Davo370 said:

How can we trust people who took 6 weeks to appoint Holden followed by 2minutes to appoint Downing and Simpson.

2 minutes to appoint downing and Simpson ? It’s quite normal for the assistant manager to take over for a couple days or however long it is till we find a new manager ... who did you want the club to appoint ? Pep? 
prat

2 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

2 minutes to appoint downing and Simpson ? It’s quite normal for the assistant manager to take over for a couple days or however long it is till we find a new manager ... who did you want the club to appoint ? Pep? 
prat

I think he meant their initial appointment. IIRC Holden was appointed, there was a colossal WHHHAAAATTTTT? From the fan base and then suddenly, a few days later, there were the dynamic duo. 

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

...firstly the pool is small to choose from, which has been discussed before, because of the way the club works/ restraints etc. Not many would agree to work under it.

But then on top of that...so many injuries to the squad to key players.

Who's going to want that job?

Pressure straight away, with half a squad and not able to buy.

I feel for the next coach whoever it is.

I’d like a manager. 

We certainly won't struggle to get decent applicants for the job, whether we appoint someone decent is another matter............

Everything is there to make us an attractive proposition, ground/training facilities etc, and (dare I say) a pretty decent squad of players when fit.

Even though the last few months have been a painful step backwards, it's not so long ago that people were saying WHEN Bristol City get promoted, not IF.

For me the problem is the structure. 

Will Ashton really give up that much control for a decent manager? My head says no. 

Ashton has his mates in charge of the medical department (which has been criticised by players this season). 

As per @Clutton Cavemanwe need a change from the top down. Whether that be bringing in a DoF or letting the new manager have total control. 

Let's be honest...MA isn't going anywhere. 

It's him who SL went to originally in a consultancy arrangement before employing him.

Any new coach will have to work within the same remit and with all the injuries.

We also don't know whether they'll be told to work with the assistants we have.

A pay off to MA, the assistants and DH isn't going to happen this season imo.

Based on previous. We will appoint a yes man.

My view is we need a complete overhaul. Ashton needs to go. The backroom needs clearing out. The medical team needs clearing out. The OOC players need to leave. This will remove significant cost from the footballing side of the club.

That leaves us with a BIG restructuring job.

Appoint a senior footballing person into Ashton's role. Set up a lean, mean and effective backroom. From coaching, to recruitment, to academy to medical.

Appoint a manager with proven success, who has a preferred system of playing, and who can feed into the CEO role.

BUT - big Steve won't do any of this. Because he doesn't like admitting he is wrong. And his massive ego won't let him do it.

As you were then.

Bouncing around mid table in the Championship. Flirting with relegation. and pussyfooting around the play offs.

14 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think any seriously good coach would demand a top down clear out.

Ashton has been a failure and is hated by the fans

Coaching staff have shown nothing in terms of player improvement and organisation

Medical staff, no need to say more

Dressing room seems wrong when players constantly follow one improved performance with a dreadful display.

For me the best solution would be to look for a very experienced manager almost ready to move upstairs. Give him total control of all football matters, ask him to appoint a good number 2 and when he us ready promote the young guy and move the older guy upstairs.

I am putting on my flak hat before the next line but what about Roy Hodgson 

I would have thought, and hoped, that events over the last year, would have alerted the owner that there are too many things not quite right at the club and that would be sufficient for him to instigate change along the lines you mention.

If SL is prepared to bite the bullet, than perhaps it could be used to the club’s advantage in the recruitment process. Rather than prospective candidates being deterred by the perceived problems and issues, the job could be better “sold” to the right candidates on the basis that part of their remit will be to be involved in some of the restructuring, and certainly in areas that have direct impact on the footballing side of things e.g. player recruitment, transfer strategy , coaching and medical support.

I think that not only did DH’s inexperience count against him, the fact that it seems that the real decisions about players were made by MA, must have weakened his standing with the players ( and probably the same with LJ). Accordingly perhaps we need to go back to having more of an old school type manager. That does not mean we appoint one of the,what are loosely described as, “dinosaurs”, because I think we should be forward thinking, but a manager with greater autonomy over footballing matters, including recruitment and transfer policy. 

Of course there needs to be executive control above the manager to ensure budgetary control, but not to the extent that has existed previously, where MA seems to be have had almost total control,  recruiting players primarily because of their perceived profit potential and not because the coach necessarily needs/wants them to enhance and improve the playing squad and team. Whether this means MA going or just having his job description and responsibilities re-defined I don't know - that is a decision for SL - but to me it seems clear that the way it has been operating is not now working and something has to change.

It concerns me too. If the structure doesn’t change, that must limit our options. Added to that is whether we’ve burnt any bridges with potential candidates we spoke to in the summer. 

It’ll be interesting to see what decision SL will make. The appointment in the summer was a fiasco and we were stagnating prior to that. Will he decide that things need overhauling? We are crying out for a manager/head coach to galvanise the squad and on top of that our recruitment seems shambolic. Surely things have to be shaken up and done differently.  

34 minutes ago, Bristolisredd said:

prat

Let's see who they appoint this time dick ead

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Let's be honest...MA isn't going anywhere. 

It's him who SL went to originally in a consultancy arrangement before employing him.

Any new coach will have to work within the same remit and with all the injuries.

We also don't know whether they'll be told to work with the assistants we have.

A pay off to MA, the assistants and DH isn't going to happen this season imo.

Regrettably, I think you’re correct.

An old Irish man once said to me, "if things don't change... they'll stay the same." Which is obvious, but wise words in this situation if you think about it.

I consulted the "Good Tarot" on the question " will things change at bcfc" and i picked the "5 of water"

The 5 of water is about releasing grief and allowing sadness to come... and then go. It says that emotions that were holding you back from acknowledging the truth need to be let go, that you realise what is no longer working for you and that you make amends to those you may have harmed.

Spooky eh? Read into that what you will. I will give more utter bo#@ocks predictions in the future. ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, Cornacix the Druid said:

An old Irish man once said to me, "if things don't change... they'll stay the same." Which is obvious, but wise words in this situation if you think about it.

I consulted the "Good Tarot" on the question " will things change at bcfc" and i picked the "5 of water"

The 5 of water is about releasing grief and allowing sadness to come... and then go. It says that emotions that were holding you back from acknowledging the truth need to be let go, that you realise what is no longer working for you and that you make amends to those you may have harmed.

Spooky eh? Read into that what you will. I will give more utter bo#@ocks predictions in the future. ?‍♂️

We could do with that big pot obelix fell into as a baby :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Cornacix the Druid said:

Oooh creepy, really interesting though. 

More to the point, the prodigal son, his mute accomplice and the former youth team goalie, don't seem capable of identifying a decent manager even if he's sitting in front of them.

We just know they are going to use Covid as a reason to try to chisel down salary demands and I fear the result is going to be disappointing again. 

Perhaps not as disappointing as appointing Holden, I would hope they've learned from that fiasco, but certainly not optimal.

33 minutes ago, ooRya said:

We certainly won't struggle to get decent applicants for the job, whether we appoint someone decent is another matter............

Everything is there to make us an attractive proposition, ground/training facilities etc, and (dare I say) a pretty decent squad of players when fit.

I am concerned that after the five week appointment debacle 6 months ago any decent managers might be reluctant to waste their time by applying for the job. And last July we were  a far more attractive proposition than we are now.

I worry that the next appointment will be wrong completely, and will just finish us off this season (providing someone is appointed before then).

I also worry that the next appointment will be right, but for the wrong reasons. Bear with me.

The supporters are mightily peeved off with performances, wrong appointments, and higher ups getting involved too much. A lot of people want a name. I fear that the "right" name, although will keep certain quarters quiet and happy, will be the wrong name from an internal point, and cause no ends of problems with wanting big names on huge money. If and when they don't get their way, will walk out and put us back in this position in 6 months time.

I'm also not sure I completely trust the board to get the appointment right. Personally if I was Steve, I'd be saying to the boy wonder and Slippery Mark, you've ballsed the last appointment up, I'm bringing in some outside advisors to ensure we get the right person for the job. We know he's turned to Moyes for his opinions before (at least I don't think I've imagined that), but also what about Simon Jordan? 

Yes OK Jordan is part of the double act with Warnock from their Palace days, but he knows his stuff, has taken Palace back into Prem before, and hired some decent names himself. Also if you listen to him on Talksport, he talks a lot of sense (and I didn't want to like him when I first heard him). I'm not talking about bringing him in on a permanent basis (although we could do worse), but just for an outside viewpoint. Consultancy.

This board has got it wrong way too many times. That is the worrying thing for me.

Archived