IGNORED

Anyone else thing we'll struggle to find a decent coach?

spudski

It'll be someone who was on our long list last time but didn't make the interview stage.

It'll be someone with experience but who's uninspiring and unemployed because we need an appointment asap - so not a Bilic, Jokanovic, Pearson or Howe but more likely a Monk, Adkins, Harris, Moore

Darren Moore = West Brom = Ashton. Moore also an ex England age group coach, so probably knows Simpson and/or Downing and might be willing to work with them rather than bring his own assistants. What a massive mistake that would be - we need a proper clear out and re-set, imo. 

It'll also be someone who's got their work cut out - to get the best out of a depleted squad between now and May and to make any sense of Lansdown's modus operandi in the longer term    

7 minutes ago, Taz said:

I worry that the next appointment will be wrong completely, and will just finish us off this season (providing someone is appointed before then).

I also worry that the next appointment will be right, but for the wrong reasons. Bear with me.

The supporters are mightily peeved off with performances, wrong appointments, and higher ups getting involved too much. A lot of people want a name. I fear that the "right" name, although will keep certain quarters quiet and happy, will be the wrong name from an internal point, and cause no ends of problems with wanting big names on huge money. If and when they don't get their way, will walk out and put us back in this position in 6 months time.

I'm also not sure I completely trust the board to get the appointment right. Personally if I was Steve, I'd be saying to the boy wonder and Slippery Mark, you've ballsed the last appointment up, I'm bringing in some outside advisors to ensure we get the right person for the job. We know he's turned to Moyes for his opinions before (at least I don't think I've imagined that), but also what about Simon Jordan? 

Yes OK Jordan is part of the double act with Warnock from their Palace days, but he knows his stuff, has taken Palace back into Prem before, and hired some decent names himself. Also if you listen to him on Talksport, he talks a lot of sense (and I didn't want to like him when I first heard him). I'm not talking about bringing him in on a permanent basis (although we could do worse), but just for an outside viewpoint. Consultancy.

This board has got it wrong way too many times. That is the worrying thing for me.

I would suggest that Steve seeks the opinion of Richard Scudamore, not only has he got experience of football and the promised land (which is our ultimate goal in the future) he is also a Bristol City fan. So would have the fans interests at heart.

14 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I would suggest that Steve seeks the opinion of Richard Scudamore, not only has he got experience of football and the promised land (which is our ultimate goal in the future) he is also a Bristol City fan. So would have the fans interests at heart.

FFS.  Might as well as John Cleese and Baldrick as well

15 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

It'll be someone who was on our long list last time but didn't make the interview stage.

It'll be someone with experience but who's uninspiring. 

And it'll be someone who's got their work cut out - to get the best out of a depleted squad between now and May and to make any sense of Lansdown's modus operandi in the longer term    

Perhaps it's wishful thinking but I got the impression he's thinking of shaking things up.  He defended Mark Ashton in the interview with RB but did so when referring to the EFL etc.  

He's got the example of Pat Lam and has seen how it works.  He talked about Guardiola in comparison which was a little disingenous but maybe hell be looking for a much stronger character now we are massively lacking in leadership.  Even he can see that.

16 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Scudamore is an administrator, a white collar type who sits at a desk shuffling papers from in try to out tray. Nothing more.

If Lannsdown needs help, he needs to speak to real football types - respected ex players and coaches. Unfortunately, he seems to think this is what Ashton is, when in reality he's just another white collar administrator.

No matter how often Ashton spins the line he's an ex pro, we can all see him for what he truly is.

3 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Perhaps it's wishful thinking but I got the impression he's thinking of shaking things up.  He defended Mark Ashton in the interview with RB but did so when referring to the EFL etc.  

He's got the example of Pat Lam and has seen how it works.  He talked about Guardiola in comparison which was a little disingenous but maybe hell be looking for a much stronger character now we are massively lacking in leadership.  Even he can see that.

I have all my fingers and toes crossed. Here's hoping and praying.

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I think Steve has been stung into action by the criticism . Even in his ‘Sound of the City ‘ chat he mentioned the word ‘hindsight ‘numerous times. Think he’s embarrassed for both himself and the club, so I see this as a watershed moment that has to be got right 

Surely a far from ideal scenario for a new manager, and the economical aspect could also influence the decision, so...I'm a bit concerned too.

The plus could be the situation of OOC players: with many of them probably leaving in the summer, the chance to ''rebuild'' the team could be tempting for a manager.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

...firstly the pool is small to choose from, which has been discussed before, because of the way the club works/ restraints etc. Not many would agree to work under it.

But then on top of that...so many injuries to the squad to key players.

Who's going to want that job?

Pressure straight away, with half a squad and not able to buy.

I feel for the next coach whoever it is.

Im with you - it’s certainly going to be a struggle or a lot more of a struggle than it would of been last year when we were looking. Clearly we are in a much weaker position than last summer and its purely down to mis management from the top that we didn’t capitalise on probably the highest this clubs stock has been in a generation.

As you have said we are in a mess at the moment and it will probably take throwing a lot of cash at someone experienced to sway them to come. Ridiculous really as we never should have been in this situation in the first place, **** your hindsight Mr Lansdown little old me could of sat you down last summer and told you to employ experience over a complete novice.

I'm going to go against the grain and say I think we might be a bit surprised, in a good way. Maybe it's just blind hope as usual.

I'm basing this off how pissed off Steve sounded on the radio. I think the "system" might be coming under a fair bit of scrutiny at the moment.

Here's hoping anyway.

At any point in time there are far more potential managers out of work than in it. The key to answering @spudski's OP is what constitutes 'decent'.

Back in the summer any of Hughton, McCarthy or Cook could have worked for me - but all offered different things. Who you considered 'decent' would depend on the long term vision for the club. Warnock - admittedly in the past, and not top of my personal list - would be considered a 'decent' hire for a club wanting promotion and then to reassess.

So the bit that is missing - in my opinion - is any sense of what the strategy is. If it had been me I'd have sat down with Chris Hughton and talked about rebuilding the club culture over a number of years, as Brighton have done, or Norwich...or dare I say it Brentford. But I see few signs that such long term structural and cultural change is what the Lansdowns have in mind, or know how to achieve.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think loads will want the job. They will be backed pretty well in the summer I'm sure.

Biggest problem of course is injuries. Just needs to do enough for now to keep us up. Players hopefully returning soon should make it easier.

That's a very interesting viewpoint actually. It's common knowledge of where the club wants to be, and with what is happening (off the pitch). 

Potential suitors will also be well aware of where we are in the league, the form we're in, and that there is a rebuild of sorts needed in the summer. They'll also be pretty likely to have a fairly decent wedge to be able to assemble their own squad. 

With that in mind, after the failed Holden experiment, we could actually be a more interesting prospect this time around....

14 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Surely a far from ideal scenario for a new manager, and the economical aspect could also influence the decision, so...I'm a bit concerned too.

The plus could be the situation of OOC players: with many of them probably leaving in the summer, the chance to ''rebuild'' the team could be tempting for a manager.

This.

Any prospective manager will understand that ther figures being paid will be lower.  Having the freedom to bring in maybe 8 new players is very attractive especially in an environment where managers are given time.   SL is wealthy and financially savvy so one would imagineit will be clear to a manager what they will have at their disposal.  That is the key thing though.  They have to have what they want within agreed constraints...

1 hour ago, Cornacix the Druid said:

I consulted the "Good Tarot" on the question " will things change at bcfc" and i picked the "5 of water"

The 5 of water is about releasing grief and allowing sadness to come... and then go. It says that emotions that were holding you back from acknowledging the truth need to be let go, that you realise what is no longer working for you and that you make amends to those you may have harmed.

Spooky eh? Read into that what you will. I will give more utter bo#@ocks predictions in the future. ?‍♂️

Not spooky at all. Tarot cards are a load of made up nonsense. 

I think Ashton probably needs to stay at the club but just concentrate on the corporate / legal stuff which he is clearly good at. I think Lansdown probably sees this as Ashton’s greatest strength anyway.

Because the football operations issues are currently so vast we probably need a DOF for the next couple of years to re-evaluate our ways of working in terms of scouting, recruiting, coaching & fitness.

Working to the DOF we need an experienced & respected Manager / Head Coach with promotions on his CV who would hopefully bring decent coaches with him.

I know the above is way over the cost of the current structure but we have seen where the cheap option has now landed us again. Considering we are playing multiple players in excess of £20k per week a proper investment in their ‘Gaffers’ has never been more important or necessary if we actually want to get value for money out of our playing assets both on the pitch & commercially.

Simple really! 

7 minutes ago, Cardy said:

I think Ashton probably needs to stay at the club but just concentrate on the corporate / legal stuff which he is clearly good at. I think Lansdown probably sees this as Ashton’s greatest strength anyway.

Because the football operations issues are currently so vast we probably need a DOF for the next couple of years to re-evaluate our ways of working in terms of scouting, recruiting, coaching & fitness.

Working to the DOF we need an experienced & respected Manager / Head Coach with promotions on his CV who would hopefully bring decent coaches with him.

I know the above is way over the cost of the current structure but we have seen where the cheap option has now landed us again. Considering we are playing multiple players in excess of £20k per week a proper investment in their ‘Gaffers’ has never been more important or necessary if we actually want to get value for money out of our playing assets both on the pitch & commercially.

Simple really! 

Keep saying it but SL pays Pat Lam a lot for a Rugby coach. He's seen it pay off whilst wasting money on shitehawks in football who we'll be paying ongoing. 

Must have dawned on him that it's a false economy. He might look for a similar type. Someone with a bit of gravitas and charisma but a clear edge.

We need to press the reset button. This club needs a shake up from top to bottom and whoever Steve Lansdown appoints needs to have a huge say in the matter.

After a few seasons when the club appeared to have struck a good formula for bringing in and developing raw talent this year our signings have, on the whole, been nearer the end of their careers. The new man must bring experience of developing talent along with an astute eye for one or two more seasoned heads who will assist the youngsters. As we've been told many times our revenue streams are smaller than quite a few other championship side so the buy low sell high principle is what will make us competitive. 

I'm not in a hurry for promotion but I do want to see good good football and see progression year year. For that reason we need a manager/head coach with experience, we've tried the young and up coming coaches in Holden and Johnson and although LJ did give us moment to cherish and developed players, neither were able to push on.

Its hard to see someone losing their job especially when it was 80% certain he wasn't the right option in the first place. I wish Dean all the luck in the world and hope he finds a new role quickly. But as for City, well its over to you Mr Lansdown the future is yours to shape.

Why are we never linked with European managers? It’s always the same boring English names it’s just so dull. Let’s try doing something similar to Brentford, Norwich and Barnsley in appointing a manger from a different European league with fresh ideas , new training methods and a new range of scouting targets. I just want some excitement for once 

2 hours ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

For me the problem is the structure. 

Will Ashton really give up that much control for a decent manager? My head says no. 

Ashton has his mates in charge of the medical department (which has been criticised by players this season). 

As per @Clutton Cavemanwe need a change from the top down. Whether that be bringing in a DoF or letting the new manager have total control. 

Totally agree I really can't see any top manager wanting to come here and work under the restrictions Ashton has over what the manager can do,

Archived