IGNORED

Anyone else thing we'll struggle to find a decent coach?

spudski

6 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I think any seriously good coach would demand a top down clear out.

Ashton has been a failure and is hated by the fans

Coaching staff have shown nothing in terms of player improvement and organisation

Medical staff, no need to say more

Dressing room seems wrong when players constantly follow one improved performance with a dreadful display.

For me the best solution would be to look for a very experienced manager almost ready to move upstairs. Give him total control of all football matters, ask him to appoint a good number 2 and when he us ready promote the young guy and move the older guy upstairs.

I am putting on my flak hat before the next line but what about Roy Hodgson 

I just can’t see that being a realistic expectation. 

New manager/coach to SL, MA & JL
“I’ll take the job on the proviso you all resign”

Read some guff on here & this is right up there.

Ashton has been a failure and is hated by the fans

How do you know? Lots of people don't seem to like him, but no-one seems to know exactly what his job is and how much say he has in running the football side of things. It he lets that side of the business go, he could still run "Bristol City" - it's a bloody big job (multi-million pound operation, complex and unpredictable parameters, etc).

I am putting on my flak hat before the next line but what about Roy Hodgson 

When Roy was England manager, I bumped into him in London, and mentioned to him that it was a shame he didn't stay at Bristol City - we had a bit of a chuckle about how long ago that was! I think Palarse is his last job, he's knocking on a bit!

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Scudamore is an administrator, a white collar type who sits at a desk shuffling papers from in try to out tray. Nothing more.

If Lannsdown needs help, he needs to speak to real football types - respected ex players and coaches. Unfortunately, he seems to think this is what Ashton is, when in reality he's just another white collar administrator.

No matter how often Ashton spins the line he's an ex pro, we can all see him for what he truly is.

rhymes with

banker.jpeg

So the media seem split at the moment. GMG seems to think it's 1 of 3, despite being put on the naughty step by the club recently. Coincidence that all 3 have been mentioned on here?

Other outlets are saying we don't go behind the manager/coaches back so nobody is lined up currently.

Fact is nobody knows other than the board. Personally I think that Steve (not MA or JL) has his eye on someone, going by his comments the other day, and being so happy and prepared to pull the trigger so soon after the game last night.

Not saying someone will be in by the weekend, but I'd put money on it being a quicker appointment than last time. I think the key is the wording on last night's statement - "Simpson and Downing will take charge of training until further notice." No mention of the next game, just training.

I do wonder if someone has approached the club knowing that Holden's time was nearly up.

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Scudamore is an administrator, a white collar type who sits at a desk shuffling papers from in try to out tray. Nothing more.

I think that's extremely disrespectful of someone who held a very high-profile job, juggling 20 clubs, the FA and the need to market the 'product'.

Sometimes the way in which non-football roles in the sport are discussed on here makes me wince. 

3 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Is five more than none? 

if so, then the default answer is yes. 

Glad we've cleared that up

Very smart 

The problem is you said ‘umpteen Times’

So you’d like to change that to ‘ at least once’  (In last 50 years) would you ?

Brilliant

Glad we’ve cleared that up

5 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Are we still in League 2? Have we won umpteen LDVs or whatever it is called? been on long win streaks only recently broken and so on

So, yes, we have successfully. 

10 years and 6 managers ago we finished... 15th in the Championship.

Not sure I'd consider the fact we're now 13th in the Championship a success personally.

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

So the media seem split at the moment. GMG seems to think it's 1 of 3, despite being put on the naughty step by the club recently. Coincidence that all 3 have been mentioned on here?

Other outlets are saying we don't go behind the manager/coaches back so nobody is lined up currently.

Fact is nobody knows other than the board. Personally I think that Steve (not MA or JL) has his eye on someone, going by his comments the other day, and being so happy and prepared to pull the trigger so soon after the game last night.

Not saying someone will be in by the weekend, but I'd put money on it being a quicker appointment than last time. I think the key is the wording on last night's statement - "Simpson and Downing will take charge of training until further notice." No mention of the next game, just training.

I do wonder if someone has approached the club knowing that Holden's time was nearly up.

Did anyone on OTIB suggest Russell Martin....not saying he’s not a candidate, but he’d be a random suggestion.

2 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I think that's extremely disrespectful of someone who held a very high-profile job, juggling 20 clubs, the FA and the need to market the 'product'.

Sometimes the way in which non-football roles in the sport are discussed on here makes me wince. 

Agree. Whilst some may disagree, in this day and age football is a business. As in any successful business you use your contacts, which was the reasoning behind my original post. 

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Were we at one point the most successful LDV, JPT, Auto Windscreen club of all time? 

I think were in the top number of teams to have ever made playoffs from memory too

So, then yes we've been successful and can attract successful coaches

You have a very strange definition of success. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Did anyone on OTIB suggest Russell Martin....not saying he’s not a candidate, but he’d be a random suggestion.

I've seen the name mentioned, however it could have been a result of GMG mentioning it. I've been flicking in and out all day when not looking after the little dude, so not sure on the timing.

Milton Keynes 13th in League 1 doesn't scream Championship potential to me though.

7 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Is umpteen a real number? 

Were we at one point the most successful LDV, JPT, Auto Windscreen club of all time? 

I think were in the top number of teams to have ever made playoffs from memory too

So, then yes we've been successful and can attract successful coaches

Please keep ragging on how 'bad we are' it's certainly interesting especially after the sacking of a head coach that still isnt enough. 

What a bizarre post

Ahhh yes the LDV / Freight Rover

I think that’s for League One and League Two Teams If memory serves me right ( And two of those won by 2 of my 5 successes)

And play offs - think your memory is playing tricks

I assume you mean the play offs we’ve never succeeded in 

Keep digging , or should I say ‘ragging’ 

Until our powers who be who interview and select the manager / coaches, know what they are doing it will be another disaster waiting to happen. 

We have an amatuer board who controls the manager and removes the decision making in order to grow the team. Ten years later, its all the same old, rather boring really, isn't it ?

33 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

"Scudamore is an administrator, a white collar type who sits at a desk shuffling papers from in try to out tray. Nothing more."

Which was the point.

Happier?

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"Scudamore is an administrator, a white collar type who sits at a desk shuffling papers from in try to out tray. Nothing more."

Which was the point.

Happier?

No. Because it's not true. He was a Chief Executive of a major organisation.

Do you even know the difference?

51 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

No. Because it's not true. He was a Chief Executive of a major organisation.

Do you even know the difference?

Fk me. He was in a white collar job.

The point being made was that Lansdown shouldn't be asking white collar types for advice about managers, he should be asking ex players and coaches, proper football types. 

But I will apologise next time I see him buying fish and chips on Whiteladies Rd because we wouldn't anyone's feelings hurt, would we?

14 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Fk me. He was in a white collar job.

The point being made was that Lansdown shouldn't be asking white collar types for advice about managers, he should be asking ex players and coaches, proper football types. 

But I will apologise next time I see him buying fish and chips on Whiteladies Rd because we wouldn't anyone's feelings hurt, would we?

Dial it back, brother, I was commenting on your conflation of a CEO with an administrator.

As for offence...pot, kettle

On 17/02/2021 at 11:42, Merrick's Marvels said:

It'll be someone who was on our long list last time but didn't make the interview stage.

It'll be someone with experience but who's uninspiring and unemployed because we need an appointment asap - so not a Bilic, Jokanovic, Pearson or Howe but more likely a Monk, Adkins, Harris, Moore

Darren Moore = West Brom = Ashton. Moore also an ex England age group coach, so probably knows Simpson and/or Downing and might be willing to work with them rather than bring his own assistants. What a massive mistake that would be - we need a proper clear out and re-set, imo. 

It'll also be someone who's got their work cut out - to get the best out of a depleted squad between now and May and to make any sense of Lansdown's modus operandi in the longer term    

Could it be a temporary (external) appointment for the now to keep us up and then a more long term one in the summer?

Not unheard of.

On 17/02/2021 at 13:31, sh1t_ref_again said:

That could have happened in the summer or even after this season ends, but no way could you now bring in a European coach who has no idea of the championship, has to be someone who will hit the ground running 

Or, alternatively we could bring in a European coach and this would give them time to assess the squad etc. See Jokanovic, he was appointed at Fulham in February or similar and merely kept them up that year, the next two were the real excellent ones. Parachute Payments of course helped.

Wagner at Huddersfield similar, appointed in November or December 2015.

Brexit of course makes this more complex but appointing during a season can work, provided the club doesn't go down. 

On 17/02/2021 at 13:13, Kid in the Riot said:

We all said this back in the summer though. It clearly hadn't dawned on him then as he appointed Holden. What's changed?

What sort of:

A) Transfer budget.

B) Increase to the wage budget (if any) do you think we can offer realistically?

We could I suspect rule out eg Howe and Lampard or they'd rule themselves out based on this criteria.

On 17/02/2021 at 13:34, The Bard said:

Pat Lam gets paid more than Holden did. And Johnson. 

He can afford what he wants.  What is a waste of money is paying money to people you've sacked as well as the current people because they're not up to it.  Better off just investing more in the key position at the club and getting that right.

What does the bolded bit mean exactly?

21 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

Agree. Whilst some may disagree, in this day and age football is a business. As in any successful business you use your contacts, which was the reasoning behind my original post. 

Contacts are very important now, not that I necessarily want some of Ashton's.

We see it all the time though, contacts and nepotism (not necessarily the direct family sense) in the modern game is a fact of life.

Mendes- Wolves.

Derby. Lampard signs Tomori and Mount on loan. Chelsea probably wouldn't have appointed Lampard if not for his glorious playing career there.

Swansea- Cooper, all the England youth loanees.

Derby- Man City loaning Carson twice with coverage of his wage, this frees up wages at Derby. (Cocu + Pep= Part of a past Barca midfield).

On and on. Heard a snippet of commentary last night, some of Brentford's Danish midfielders were signed through contacts.

Derby (again) - Will benefit through Rooney's ties to certain clubs.

How the game is now, maybe it was always there to some extent but it's fairly blatant now.

One of my hopes was that (subject to budget) Downing and Simpson might be able to tap into a similar loan market to Cooper at Swansea.

I don't think we will struggle to find a decent coach and am pretty certain we will appoint a decent coach.

Whether that decent coach is one fans will be happy with is a completely different question.

If we appoint anyone  that has worked with Mark Ashton, passed him in the street, been in the same room as, or even heard of MA, will be tarred with that brush and immediately  classed as a “yes” man and be on a hiding to nothing with many fans , notwithstanding his managerial/coaching credentials and abilities. 

Archived