IGNORED

We ARE an attractive proposition

Silvio Dante

I’m seeing a lot of comments that we may struggle to attract a decent candidate for the next head coach. I get it, but am completely in the opposite camp for the following reasons:

The Job

In English football terms, for most coaches the top 10 jobs are unattainable and the next five barely attainable. If you look at the initial list, even Howe would only have Newcastle, WBA, Fulham, Palace and Burnley (if not for prior) looking at him. From a championship level, we are one of the top ten jobs when you look at potential, financial position, stadium infrastructure and owner. There aren’t many jobs in football. Why would anyone on that list rule this job out? It’s probably one of the best attainable jobs available 

The Opportunity

Are we less attractive than the summer? Yes, undoubtedly. Any job is better in the summer. But this is as close to a free hit as a coach could get. We need 12 more points and any half decent boss should feel confident of getting us there. He then has time to also fully assess the squad, and work out what he needs in the summer. With some established earners OOC (Hunt, Pato, Weimann, Fam, Lansbury, Watkins, Baker, Rowe), there is room to free up wages. So you have a clear idea on the weaknesses in the squad and can address them in the summer - much like with Cotts recruitment 

MAs diminishing influence

This is hope, but founded hope - as I know anyone’s answer to why coaches won’t come here is Ashton. The big takeaway for me from the last 48 hours has been SL appears to have grabbed the reins, taken the decisions - and quite key on RB confirmed MAs strengths, but also addressed the weaknesses (trading, the football side). This leaves me with some confidence that although MA will still be here, the new boss will have far more room to influence recruitment and playing matters. Might be wrong, but I sense the blocker may not be a blocker. I also think we won’t appoint a mate of MAs and SL may want “profile” this time.

Overall

This is a job where you can go into an established championship club with a supportive owner (DH was backed with players). You get first use of new training facilities, an ability to assess a squad in the remaining games which due to contracts you have scope to reshape in the summer. The points target should be attainable for any decent boss. The one perceived blocker may not be such an issue.

So, with all that considered, why the hell would you not?

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m seeing a lot of comments that we may struggle to attract a decent candidate for the next head coach. I get it, but am completely in the opposite camp for the following reasons:

The Job

In English football terms, for most coaches the top 10 jobs are unattainable and the next five barely attainable. If you look at the initial list, even Howe would only have Newcastle, WBA, Fulham, Palace and Burnley (if not for prior) looking at him. From a championship level, we are one of the top ten jobs when you look at potential, financial position, stadium infrastructure and owner. There aren’t many jobs in football. Why would anyone on that list rule this job out? It’s probably one of the best attainable jobs available 

The Opportunity

Are we less attractive than the summer? Yes, undoubtedly. Any job is better in the summer. But this is as close to a free hit as a coach could get. We need 12 more points and any half decent boss should feel confident of getting us there. He then has time to also fully assess the squad, and work out what he needs in the summer. With some established earners OOC (Hunt, Pato, Weimann, Fam, Lansbury, Watkins, Baker, Rowe), there is room to free up wages. So you have a clear idea on the weaknesses in the squad and can address them in the summer - much like with Cotts recruitment 

This is hope, but founded hope - as I know anyone’s answer to why coaches won’t come here is Ashton. The big takeaway for me from the last 48 hours has been SL appears to have grabbed the reins, taken the decisions - and quite key on RB confirmed MAs strengths, but also addressed the weaknesses (trading, the football side). This leaves me with some confidence that although MA will still be here, the new boss will have far more room to influence recruitment and playing matters. Might be wrong, but I sense the blocker may not be a blocker. I also think we won’t appoint a mate of MAs and SL may want “profile” this time.

Overall

This is a job where you can go into an established championship club with a supportive owner (DH was backed with players). You get first use of new training facilities, an ability to assess a squad in the remaining games which due to contracts you have scope to reshape in the summer. The points target should be attainable for any decent boss. The one perceived blocker may not be such an issue.

Excellent post, and my feelings exactly.

...for a new manager...

- Sitting mid-table, not in relegation spot so not too much to do to turn us around

- We aren't really expecting a play off spot any more, just better performances

- a decent squad of underperforming players with a mix of experience and youth and a few good players in there

- good stadium and set up

- in usual times a financially stable club

- reasonable size fan base

- great city and surrounding areas to move to

Only problem may be the boss! 

32 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The Job

The Opportunity

Overall

Don't suppose you fancy ringing up Eddie Howe do you mate?

I agree the pressure on a new man would be to keep us up and given the points we have the squad that shouldn't be too difficult. On the flip side though football is a crazy world and should the new man get us in or around the play-offs in May he will be lauded as a hero.

We have potential. Definitely. More potential than a lot of clubs.

That's why I said on another post that a lot of the ingredients for success as already here, if the right man to use those ingredients can be found*. 

Not so sure about the bit about the waning influence of Mark Ashton. 

His influence SHOULD be waning, after the last cock-up. But he seems Teflon-coated when it comes to sliding away from past errors.

* Good argument for Paul Cook. Cooks know how to use the ingredients they find.

I agree that we are an attractive proposition. Agree that maybe the stock has fallen since last summer. Not sure I agree re Ashton. I hope you’re right, and Steve certainly seems to be taking some kind of control again (reading between the lines). 
I wonder if this next appointment will be a Steve decision only. He may not involve Ashton in the process. He’ll have a guy he wants and he’ll go and get him. 
All the nonsense last summer of various applicants and interviews - how many clubs actually go through that process these days. Football is a small industry and managers are assessed very publically - there’s no need to interview multiple candidates. Most clubs know who they want and they go and approach them. Not the the other way round. 
Steve needs to get on the phone to whomever he wants and get him in, without Jon or Mark being involved. No interviews, no applications, just go and get who you want. 

Edit - and I think the person Steve wants is Howe. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree that we are an attractive proposition. Agree that maybe the stock has fallen since last summer. Not sure I agree re Ashton. I hope you’re right, and Steve certainly seems to be taking some kind of control again (reading between the lines). 
I wonder if this next appointment will be a Steve decision only. He may not involve Ashton in the process. He’ll have a guy he wants and he’ll go and get him. 
All the nonsense last summer of various applicants and interviews - how many clubs actually go through that process these days. Football is a small industry and managers are assessed very publically - there’s no need to interview multiple candidates. Most clubs know who they want and they go and approach them. Not the the other way round. 
Steve needs to get on the phone to whomever he wants and get him in, without Jon or Mark being involved. No interviews, no applications, just go and get who you want. 

Agree with all of that mate - and I’m 99% sure Steve’s man would be Howe. Such an appointment is a message, but doesn’t destroy the “profile”

It would in turn also diminish Ashton - it’s one thing holding the whip hand over LJ and DH but over Howe is another matter - he may be a nice guy (allegedly) but he’s not going to play nice with Ashton if he thinks he’s right.

Just find out quick, and now, if he wants it, and give it to him.

I've no doubt, as is usual in these circumstances, that there will be a good deal of interest in the vacancy. 

The issue is around those who will be making the final decision and the particular conditions placed upon the successful applicant - which in our case appear to be political as much as anything else. 

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

I am massively skeptical that Ashton ever had the influence people think. As CEO, his job is to be the public face of the corporate side of the club and steer it in the strategic direction set by the owner and board.

He will have plenty of areas where he can act unilaterally but the board and owner would still have had the final say on recruitment. I think we got Johnson because Lansdown and the board wanted Johnson and Holden because Lansdown and the board wanted Holden. Ashton isn’t going to be sacked or lose influence because, as SL made clear on the radio on Monday, he is doing precisely the job SL and the board want him to do.

I think the relevant question is far less whether Ashton will lose influence as to whether the debacle of the last few months will alter the owner and board’s view of what the club needs in a new manager. Hopefully it will but I suspect Ashton’s influence or not is pretty immaterial.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

And that's why I think we aren't such an attractive proposition.

On paper from the outside looking in, it looks good.

As you say...you shouldn't need to interview managers as such...their reputation precedes them.

The reason, imo, why we interview so thoroughly is because of the way we work. Even MA said the pool is smaller because of it.

Unless we dramatically change our direction, not many will be willing to work under the remit. And that's why imo, the like of Houghton wasn't taken on.

If the remit was to just be a mid table team...it's possible.

But the pathway of blooding Academy and previous loans, mixed with rough diamonds, whilst selling our best.... isn't one of how to gain promotion.

That's what's expected. Coach under our remit, whilst expecting promotion. Coaches with experience will know that's not likely. 

SL got stung with Coppell. He promised one thing, then didn't play ball. So he walked. 

The interviews imo...aren't so much to find out about the applicants. It's more to tell them how we work...and to ask them whether they are willing to work within it.

Things would have to dramatically change in how we work, for us to be such a wonderful proposition.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

The Job

The Opportunity

Overall

Good post. I think on reflection you are right and we are a good proposition. I still think the Lansdown’s are dicks for putting us in the position we are in as it never needed to be like this but there we are that is a different debate. 

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agree with all of that mate - and I’m 99% sure Steve’s man would be Howe. Such an appointment is a message, but doesn’t destroy the “profile”

It would in turn also diminish Ashton - it’s one thing holding the whip hand over LJ and DH but over Howe is another matter - he may be a nice guy (allegedly) but he’s not going to play nice with Ashton if he thinks he’s right.

Just find out quick, and now, if he wants it, and give it to him.

Yep always feel with Howe that there’s a pretty steely underbelly there and won’t take any shit.  Pretty forthright in press conferences when pushed and you don’t have his track record by being a wallflower.  Would be great if it’s him but I still see MA’s control as a sticking point unfortunately.   Hope I’m wrong. 

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Regards the recruitment process, will Paul Cook and Alex Neil be asked to do the fox, chicken grain exercise again or can we carry the result over from last summer?

The variant of fox, chicken and grain exercise that we run is:

“you have 24 central midfielders, but you can only choose three...”

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

Totally agree with this, but it won’t be Howe. I have very little “itk” but one of the few links I have has ruled it out totally, and they are in a position to do so. He would be my choice fwiw.

I think the fact we have so many OOC come the Summer will be an attractive pull for any Manager as it potentially gives him the chance to put in his own ideas and bring in his players. 
This is a Manager SL and MA have got to back, otherwise it won't work out. I think SL might have took over a bit from what I gathered listening to his interview on Radio Bristol on Monday and it's about time action was taken. 
I really don't think Ashton will be around too much longer, I know it's wishful thinking, but there won't be much coming back for him considering he has let this fester

The Job

The Opportunity

Overall

I think ironically, in one sense Holden's reign leaves us in a better position...sounds mad but bear with me... 

I'm happy to make a bold assumption that Holden's mandate was to make use of the young talent on the books. even if he had some autonomy in the matter, he probably used it as his USP to get an edge in the application stage.

Holden did that. The big positive from his short tenure is the fact that Bakinson, Semenyo, Massengo, Vyner, Moore and to a lesser extent Edwards and Towler, have all been tested now at Championship level.

So whereas Hughton last summer could have said that he's not committed to playing these lads unless they really impress him in training, the 'applicants' now can all give SL, JL, MA an appraisal of our young uns with actual evidence to support their view.

Cook, for example, can say "I've seen Moore and he just isn't ready, so I'll want a new CB" or "Semenyo hasn't been playing in the right position but he's one that can make it..." etc, whereas last year there was no reference point.

It's easier for a potential gaffer to run the rule over our squad then, but also with so many OOC players, they can also easily clear out dead wood and bring in their own players (within a restrictive budget now doubt).

We're a different proposition now.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Agree with most of the OP.

Only thing is I'm still struggling to understand is this theory that our head coach does not choose who we sign.

Which of the summer signings was not a Holden signing? He seemed like he wanted all of them to me.

Perhaps he was told that he wanted all of them. 

9 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

The variant of fox, chicken and grain exercise that we run is:

“you have 24 central midfielders, but you can only choose three...”

12 are no 8s and 12 are no 10s, but you need to find two no 6s. Time starts now...

I want to believe but we have this exact same discussion when we are trying to attract quality players and we always seem to end up generally disappointed on the whole. 

As City fans we know the worth and the potential of the club, however as a club we just don't seem to be on the same wave length as the guys we are trying to attract so perhaps it's a communication issue. 

Anyway, maybe due to the ups and downs of the pandemic etc I now tend to expect the worse but I still always hope for the best and we are definitely due a good un this time round ?

The Job

The Opportunity

Overall

That's a brilliant post, but sadly a suitable candidate may be rebuffed by our Sales Prevention Officer.

27 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Totally agree with this, but it won’t be Howe. I have very little “itk” but one of the few links I have has ruled it out totally, and they are in a position to do so. He would be my choice fwiw.

On what basis is it ruled out?

The Job

The Opportunity

Overall

I agree with a lot of that, Silv, although there's no doubt our stock has fallen since the summer. Not just in terms of league position, but from the six weeks bumbling around for LJ's successor.

I also think the likes of Cook, who I'd like down here, learnt a lot about our board from interviewing in the summer and decided the job wasn't for him, so what's changed in seven months? Nothing that I'm aware of, Ashton's still there and I don't think his influence will dwindle. 

A manger on the outside looking in may see Ashton has too much control. Which would be the major hurdle to overcome. 

Bristol City are an attractive club. We have an owner who is willing to back his manager, a squad in major need of an overhaul meaning you're most likely to be given time, we have a new training ground being built, our under-23's are top of the league so there is potential coming through, we have a fantastic stadium with great fans and we usually travel well. 

But again the biggest hurdle is Ashton would a manager give him that much control over transfers? "I was this guy and this guy" "no and no but we have this guy on a free" 

Archived