IGNORED

Key Attributes for new boss

Daniro

You've missed two key points. He either needs to be:

a) unemployed currently (which begs the question, why is he unemployed currently?), or

b) currently at a club below us in the pecking order (which begs the question, why is he at a club below us in said pecking order?).

Other than that, loving your list.

11 minutes ago, Daniro said:
  1. Proven track record of achievement as Head Coach / Manager at Championship level (or higher)
  2. Charismatic, assertive  personality with proven ability to motivate / change  team culture
  3. Proven tactical awareness 

Any others?

So that would be Chris Hughton then. Whoopsy. 

1 minute ago, sludge said:

a) unemployed currently (which begs the question, why is he unemployed currently?), or

b) currently at a club below us in the pecking order (which begs the question, why is he at a club below us in said pecking order?).

Someone might be tempted by loads of money, hoiidays in Guernsey or Bermuda?

3 minutes ago, sludge said:

I reckon Klopp will be unemployed if Liverpool lose too many more.   I'm prepared to wait.

1 minute ago, Daniro said:

Someone might be tempted by loads of money, hoiidays in Guernsey or Bermuda?

Correct; only way we will lure anyone decent is to pay over the odds.  And no bets on us doing that.  So wait for internal appointment.  My money still on Gilmartin

I have always thought the problem that GJ, LJ and now Holden had, is when you start going up the pyramid the more expensive and experienced players need to be able to look to the manger and trust him as he as been there and done it.

GJ was a bit of a bully style manager which works with young kids or players on a downward spiral, but not on players who know they are wanted elsewhere. LJ was a theorist who liked to go to incredible detail and tactics, which are fine when you winning, but experienced players soon see through it when continued runs of bad form occur and lose trust. DH, was trying to be every bodies mate like a pub side manager, experienced players want someone who knows what they are doing and able to make difficult decisions and called him out by downing tools.

13 minutes ago, Daniro said:
  1. Proven track record of achievement as Head Coach / Manager at Championship level (or higher)
  2. Charismatic, assertive  personality with proven ability to motivate / change  team culture

Any others?

1. Proven track record - yes, but not essential to have been at our level or higher. A lower league manager, or even an assistant in a high-achieving team, could comfortably have enough experience to take us where we want to be.
  2.  Charismatic and assertive? Not sure that is necessary at all. Confident in his own systems and philosophies maybe, but not sure we have to have that. As for a "proven ability to change team culture" I've no idea how you demonstrate that nor really why we need it right now. Is there a problem with the culture of the team that is distinct from Holden's influence upon it?
  3. Proven tactical awareness - yes naturally.

To add:

1. A clear plan to get us performing in the manner of a top 6 team. Passing with purpose, moving off the ball, taking and defending set pieces in sensible ways, shooting on goal. A move away from relying on blocking shots as our primary method of defence. All very simple things that we have been failing to do for some time now.
  2. A proactive rather than reactive approach. Figure out how we can play our best with the squad he has/assembles. Then refine it. Adaptation of that Plan A based on the next opponent rather than based on the previous result.
  3. Good banter and nice shoes.

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I have always thought the problem that GJ, LJ and now Holden had, is when you start going up the pyramid the more expensive and experienced players need to be able to look to the manger and trust him as he as been there and done it.

GJ was a bit of a bully style manager which works with young kids or players on a downward spiral, but not on players who know they are wanted elsewhere. LJ was a theorist who liked to go to incredible detail and tactics, which are fine when you winning, but experienced players soon see through it when continued runs of bad form occur and lose trust. DH, was trying to be every bodies mate like a pub side manager, experienced players want someone who knows what they are doing and able to make difficult decisions and called him out by downing tools.

I agree.    Poor old Dean kept saying he'd looked them in the the eye and demanded this that and the other, but you need someone who can put the fear of god into players,    it's key for management in football - 

- Someone who encourages a high press and is organised. In fact really really organised, so players know exactly what they should be doing, what their team mates should be doing, and can play a pass into an area of the pitch knowing that their team mate will be there.

- Can put together a team that can score 90 goals per season.

- Shots on target is higher than single figures!

I have found my optimistic hat and therefore this.....

Our hierarchy obviously knew at the time that appointing DH and co was a very high risk approach. Therefore, at the time they decided to use the time, his appointment provided, to scourer the world for a short list of potential successors.

This resulted in four candidates being shortlisted and all four were invited to provide comprehensive analysis of our performances for the month of January so at interview they could provide a detailed assessment of what they’d do if appointed to address the situation.

Hang-on my hat has just fallen off. Please ignore that momentary lapse.

3 minutes ago, beaverface said:

- Someone who encourages a high press and is organised. In fact really really organised, so players know exactly what they should be doing, what their team mates should be doing, and can play a pass into an area of the pitch knowing that their team mate will be there.

I would expect that if someone has the first attribute, then your third will naturally occur, and thus your second should be more likely to happen. This then leads us to 2 goals per game, which leads to promotion. Simple really ?

18 minutes ago, sludge said:

Not every manager who is unemployed is a bad one.  We have this obsession in this country for picking any fault with a managers CV.  Certainly not like that on the continent.  Most managers have failed at one time or another 

28 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Any others?

A stunningly attractive wife?

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Not every manager who is unemployed is a bad one.  We have this obsession in this country for picking any fault with a managers CV.  Certainly not like that on the continent.  Most managers have failed at one time or another 

Where did I say that an unemployed manager was a bad one?

7 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Tony Mowbray....come on down! 

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I would expect that if someone has the first attribute, then your third will naturally occur, and thus your second should be more likely to happen. This then leads us to 2 goals per game, which leads to promotion. Simple really ?

In that case, we only need to find a new manager with one trate...................happy days (oh God.... and I don't mean that guy who said "Happy days"!!!)

22 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Plays attractive attacking football .

Uses wingers who when faced with a full back try and beat their man .

Emphasise to the back 4 that a square pass does not equate to them being Paulo Maldini and  should only be used as a last resort.

Don't ever forget Football is about entertainment

Your first two lines do it for me ?

Archived