IGNORED

What have we got and how best to use it?

Harry

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Edwards has a future but you could see, although he’s a bundle of energy is nowhere near ready for the championship yet 

I agree, but we are devoid of pace at the moment. Think he’s worth giving a few games between now and the end of the season. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Lots of threads about who the new man may be, so I thought I'd bring it back to the football, for some slightly different thoughts.

Now that Holden and his 27 different formations per game has gone, what do you all think is the best way for the new man to set the team up.  I think whoever comes in needs to look at the players at his disposal and find the best system to fit, in order to get the most out of each player.

We need to move away from ridiculous experiments such as Paterson in a centre midfield role, Wells as a left winger, Lansbury as a holding midfielder, Vyner as a holding midfielder etc.  Let's look at what we have (based on currently available players) :

GK : Bentley, O'Leary
LB : None
RB : Hunt, Sessegnon (plus Vyner)
CB : Kalas, Vyner, Moore, Mariappa, Towler
CM : Nagy, Bakinson, Z Smith
AM : Paterson, Lansbury, Palmer, Massengo (maybe Semenyo)
ST : Wells, Diedhiou, Semenyo, Bell, Pearson

That's 20 fit players.  We obviously have a left back problem.  But we are best-stocked with Attacking Midfielders.

Personally, I think our best chance of success, and the best way we can get some creativity into the team without losing solidity, is to go for a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Bentley
Sess - Vyner - Kalas - Hunt
           Bakinson - Nagy
 Semenyo - Lansbury - Paterson
                    Wells

Hunt sadly has to fill the LB void at the moment, however, I'd have no qualms in asking Towler to play there, as long as he has Kalas inside him.
Nagy and Baks as the holding midfielders - with a strict remit for positional discipline (protect the back line, don't wander).
A 3-pronged attacking midfield, deploying Semenyo in what I think is his best position.  Massengo & Palmer can come in for any of those 3.
Wells up top on his own.  He needs to play up front and not have a role which asks him to drop deep or drift wide.  He banged loads for QPR without a strike partner (occasionally they put Hugill up with him, but generally he has AM's feeding him).

There are replacements for each position, without having to change the formation with every single substitute (like we've seen from Dean).

Set up like that and stay like that for 90 minutes.  With the 3 AM's, all of them have the capability of receiving a pass to feet and to hold it, turn and create.  Prevents the ridiculous 'lump it' tactics we've recently deployed.  Gives Wells the freedom to just focus on making runs rather than linking play - which he can't do very well.  Both Baks and Nagy are perfectly capable of retaining possession deep and looking for forward passes to the AM's.

If Williams gets himself fit again he slots in for either DM.  If O'Dowda gets fit again, he slots into the left AM.  If Baker gets fit again, he slots in at LCB and Kalas moves to RCB.  Everyone else I am assuming is out for the season, so that's our lot.

Interested to see what others would do.  I've said before that between all otib posters we could probably come up with 30 different line ups, but for me, that's the best system and style that will at least see some attacking forward play for the rest of the season and at least give us a chance of getting a few results.

Good post, you make a lot of sensible points there and we could do an awful lot worse than set up like that. 

For me, Semenyo plays on the left of the three in behind Wells and I’m not convinced about Vyner at CB. I think he’s best suited to RB with Sess at LB. Hunt would be one of the first names out the door in the summer, along with Fam and Pato IMO. 

Totally agree with the formation, and actually only two players (Massengo for Lansbury so much of a muchness there in my eyes, and the impossible left back situation) away from what I suggested for Reading.

In addition to what you mentioned about Wells, importantly for me he's actually going to be here next year which automatically puts him at the top of my list, as much as I like Diedhiou. 

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Before his injury and when we were playing fluid football early last season we had Afobe up front and behind him Palmer, Massengo and Nagy.  

Were we playing 4231 back then?

No, 352 / 5212.

Bentley

Hunt / Moore / Kalas / Baker / Rowe

Brownhill / Massengo

Palmer

Afobe / Weimann

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, 352 / 5212.

Bentley

Hunt / Moore / Kalas / Baker / Rowe

Brownhill / Massengo

Palmer

Afobe / Weimann

Thanks Dave. I thought it might have been 352 but then saw 4321 so wasn't sure.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

I agree, but we are devoid of pace at the moment. Think he’s worth giving a few games between now and the end of the season. 

Impact sub last 20 maybe to unsettle a tired defence but not from the start. I just want someone to get us organised , stop leaking goals . Build from there. 

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Lots of threads about who the new man may be, so I thought I'd bring it back to the football, for some slightly different thoughts.

Now that Holden and his 27 different formations per game has gone, what do you all think is the best way for the new man to set the team up.  I think whoever comes in needs to look at the players at his disposal and find the best system to fit, in order to get the most out of each player.

We need to move away from ridiculous experiments such as Paterson in a centre midfield role, Wells as a left winger, Lansbury as a holding midfielder, Vyner as a holding midfielder etc.  Let's look at what we have (based on currently available players) :

That's 20 fit players.  We obviously have a left back problem.  But we are best-stocked with Attacking Midfielders.

Personally, I think our best chance of success, and the best way we can get some creativity into the team without losing solidity, is to go for a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Bentley
           Bakinson - Nagy
                    Wells

Hunt sadly has to fill the LB void at the moment, however, I'd have no qualms in asking Towler to play there, as long as he has Kalas inside him.
Nagy and Baks as the holding midfielders - with a strict remit for positional discipline (protect the back line, don't wander).
A 3-pronged attacking midfield, deploying Semenyo in what I think is his best position.  Massengo & Palmer can come in for any of those 3.
Wells up top on his own.  He needs to play up front and not have a role which asks him to drop deep or drift wide.  He banged loads for QPR without a strike partner (occasionally they put Hugill up with him, but generally he has AM's feeding him).

There are replacements for each position, without having to change the formation with every single substitute (like we've seen from Dean).

Set up like that and stay like that for 90 minutes.  With the 3 AM's, all of them have the capability of receiving a pass to feet and to hold it, turn and create.  Prevents the ridiculous 'lump it' tactics we've recently deployed.  Gives Wells the freedom to just focus on making runs rather than linking play - which he can't do very well.  Both Baks and Nagy are perfectly capable of retaining possession deep and looking for forward passes to the AM's.

If Williams gets himself fit again he slots in for either DM.  If O'Dowda gets fit again, he slots into the left AM.  If Baker gets fit again, he slots in at LCB and Kalas moves to RCB.  Everyone else I am assuming is out for the season, so that's our lot.

Interested to see what others would do.  I've said before that between all otib posters we could probably come up with 30 different line ups, but for me, that's the best system and style that will at least see some attacking forward play for the rest of the season and at least give us a chance of getting a few results.

Nice post Harry mate... 

As you have pointed out, each position would change depending on 'injury comebacks' -  Adam Nagy is not a naturally holding CM player and has often played as an CAM rather than a CDM at other clubs and at international level - (that's only from the reports I have read fella). At the moment, we are struggling with a CDM alongside Bakinson in that formation (ie someone who can tackle). Your line up (with what we have available is decent) but I would possibly tweak it slightly with the current crop of players who are "injury free". After all, Mariappa has much more experience and has played most of his career as a centre back? Could Moore do a job at right back? I know Vyner is not a natural midfield player but he can tackle and that would be his role, in the formation you have suggested...

Can we really play with 1 upfront? The chances we are creating are few and far between as it is. Our attacking and shots (on target and off) statistics are mentally low over the last few months, but our stats all round are very poor as we know...

In your 4-2-3-1, I would maybe try....

Bentley
Moore - Mariappa - Kalas - Hunt
           Bakinson - Vyner
  Paterson - Nagy - Semenyo
                    Wells

I would personally go back to a 4-4-2 though for the next 5 games (with the following players, assuming no injury comebacks). Of course, that does mean bringing in another under 23 player in Vince Harper as left back (I have seen him and he looks decent). He has played at left back in the under 23's but I don't think City have really decided on his position. Hunt moves back to his correct right back position and we then gamble on Vyner doing a right sided midfield role. Landsbury cant tackle - Vyner can!

Vyner then provides cover, for when Hunt goes forward. Hunt can deliver a decent ball into the box when playing further forward? 

Bentley

Hunt - Mariappa - Kalas - Harper
Vyner - Bakinson - Nagy - Semenyo
         Fammy - Wells

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Nice post Harry mate... 

As you have pointed out, each position would change depending on 'injury comebacks' -  Adam Nagy is not a naturally holding CM player and has often played as an CAM rather than a CDM at other clubs and at international level - (that's only from the reports I have read fella). At the moment, we are struggling with a CDM alongside Bakinson in that formation (ie someone who can tackle). Your line up (with what we have available is decent) but I would possibly tweak it slightly with the current crop of players who are "injury free". After all, Mariappa has much more experience and has played most of his career as a centre back? Could Moore do a job at right back? I know Vyner is not a natural midfield player but he can tackle and that would be his role, in the formation you have suggested...

Can we really play with 1 upfront? The chances we are creating are few and far between as it is. Our attacking and shots (on target and off) statistics are mentally low over the last few months, but our stats all round are very poor as we know...

Bentley
           Bakinson - Vyner
                    Wells

I would personally go back to a 4-4-2 though for the next 5 games (with the following players, assuming no injury comebacks). Of course, that does mean bringing in another under 23 player in Vince Harper as left back (I have seen him and he looks decent). He has played at left back in the under 23's but I don't think City have really decided on his position. Hunt moves back to his correct right back position and we then gamble on Vyner doing a right sided midfield role. Landsbury cant tackle - Vyner can!

Vyner then provides cover, for when Hunt goes forward. Hunt can deliver a decent ball into the box when playing further forward? 

Bentley

Fammy - Wells

My 10 year old son, said Vyner could switch with Hunt in that 4-4-2!

13 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Nice post Harry mate... 

Bentley
           Bakinson - Vyner
                    Wells

Bentley

Fammy - Wells

and unfortunately, a team in trouble with only 3 league wins in 13 games, can not afford to play a Pato or a Palmer in my opinion....

My line ups suggested are not ideal and even I will continue to debate with myself - :laugh:!. However, we have to be hard to beat in the next 5 games and I think we should go back to basics in a 4-4-2 (certainly, for the short term). 

Personally I liked the 4-1-4-1 with high press we played out of necessity during LJ's purple patch  To my way of thinking that works with a surplus in midfield

While we have been goal shy/shot shy recently I personally don't think having 2 strikers has actually helped us that much. 

LB is an obvious problem in any formation - how long until Baker or any of the recognised LB's are back?

9 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

How the hell does Semenyo get in the side.

He has been awful for some time.

I think he may well need a loan to L1 to get his confidence up again, he certainly needs to start scoring.

Has promise sure, but has regressed quite noticeably - mind you, he's not alone there.

Quite frankly, we have no pace in the squad - and AS isn't exactly lightning quick, either.

I don't think he's the long-term answer, but for now I can't see any other options out wide. 

Whatever the shape and who ever the players are that fill it, one of the major things that needs addressing  for me is that we actually get the team into the faces of the opposition and make sure they know they are allowed to play , both with and without the ball, in their half. 

I have lost count of the amount of shitty looks and ‘calm downs’ I get from Mrs City1984 for screaming at my Tv when we have applied no pressure to the opposition at all and just let them walk the ball to dangerous crossing or passing positions near our box. 

Bentley

Vyner   Mariappa  Kalas  Hunt

Bakinson      Nagy

Semenyo  Paterson Palmer

Wells

General concept is to not let Nagy or Bakinson attack much and to cover flanks alongside Palmer, Semenyo and Paterson dropping back in. that's the personnel grouping I want anyway. Not including Sessegnon, Williams or Edwards because I assume they're dead until they play, even being on the bench isn't confirmation of them living.

We attack with 4-5. the front 4 plus one full back, or one central midfielder, we keep it very tight and try to break with Pato, Semenyo and Wells. There should be 3-4 options for Bakinson when he looks to play forwards, if the players ahead are working hard enough. Kasey should have people making runs for him. Those three behind Wells can rotate as needed.

Tell the attackers to run themselves down to empty then make changes. Use the increased subs to up the players work rate over a shorter period of time. Plan subs for to replace the front 4 so we can keep up the energy levels.  Instead of lying about front foot football, use the inevitable defensive performance and plan around the countering. Barnsley played one day after us, use that. Run you ****'s!

Wells can work his ass off making run until he drops, then bring on another forward, even if we have to do it twice, Wells --> Diedhiou --> Bell for 30 mins each. Actually run around and create space and passing opportunities.

If they can out run us, and out press us, with one days less recovery... if an area of the field with Kalas, Hunt and Nagy gets beat by one ball when they're all told to focus on that not happening... I'm not sure what to do.

17 hours ago, Harry said:

Bentley
           Bakinson - Nagy
                    Wells

Just as an additional thought (and all of this is very well thought out, by the way), I still can't quite believe just how muddled Dean Holden became in his selection and tactics.

His *big thing* when he was appointed was to cut out the chopping and changing, instead identifying a plan and sticking to it, yet he drifted so far from his own beliefs so quickly it was truly staggering. Even now I struggle to get my head around it.

It was almost like he needed someone to give him a good shake and say "Dean, let's go back to basics here, remember what you said at the very start..."

36 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Bentley

Vyner   Mariappa  Kalas  Hunt

Bakinson      Nagy

Semenyo  Paterson Palmer

Wells

General concept is to not let Nagy or Bakinson attack much and to cover flanks alongside Palmer, Semenyo and Paterson dropping back in. that's the personnel grouping I want anyway. Not including Sessegnon, Williams or Edwards because I assume they're dead until they play, even being on the bench isn't confirmation of them living.

We attack with 4-5. the front 4 plus one full back, or one central midfielder, we keep it very tight and try to break with Pato, Semenyo and Wells. There should be 3-4 options for Bakinson when he looks to play forwards, if the players ahead are working hard enough. Kasey should have people making runs for him. Those three behind Wells can rotate as needed.

Tell the attackers to run themselves down to empty then make changes. Use the increased subs to up the players work rate over a shorter period of time. Plan subs for to replace the front 4 so we can keep up the energy levels.  Instead of lying about front foot football, use the inevitable defensive performance and plan around the countering. Barnsley played one day after us, use that. Run you ****'s!

Wells can work his ass off making run until he drops, then bring on another forward, even if we have to do it twice, Wells --> Diedhiou --> Bell for 30 mins each. Actually run around and create space and passing opportunities.

If they can out run us, and out press us, with one days less recovery... if an area of the field with Kalas, Hunt and Nagy gets beat by one ball when they're all told to focus on that not happening... I'm not sure what to do.

Much of my own “philosophy” in there Prinny, so give yourself a big fat “like”!!

In my world you attack in two ways, down the sides or through the middle....but you are allowed to do both in the same game.  You just need intelligence when to do which, and players react accordingly.

Use of subs to keep energy levels is a no brainer....yet we haven’t done that.  Crazy!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Much of my own “philosophy” in there Prinny, so give yourself a big fat “like”!!

In my world you attack in two ways, down the sides or through the middle....but you are allowed to do both in the same game.  You just need intelligence when to do which, and players react accordingly.

Use of subs to keep energy levels is a no brainer....yet we haven’t done that.  Crazy!

We're told there's not much training and it's all about recovery, but I haven't seen much change if any in how we handle the match days regarding that, as you say, crazy.

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Just as an additional thought (and all of this is very well thought out, by the way), I still can't quite believe just how muddled Dean Holden became in his selection and tactics.

His *big thing* when he was appointed was to cut out the chopping and changing, instead identifying a plan and sticking to it, yet he drifted so far from his own beliefs so quickly it was truly staggering. Even now I struggle to get my head around it.

It was almost like he needed someone to give him a good shake and say "Dean, let's go back to basics here, remember what you said at the very start..."

This. Absolutely this. It bemused me how quickly he veered away from what seemed to have worked well. 

Im absolutely crying out for City to have an identity. Players, in the main, cannot play to the best of their abilities if they’re constantly chopping and changing formations as well as personnel. 

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Bentley
           Bakinson - Nagy
                    Wells

I agree with that side, with what we have fit especially- does though highlight just how many injuries and in certain positions we have.

Offers that bit more balance in wide areas- obviously left is a slight issue both with LB and left footed Centre backs all out- but that seems to have a nice balance IMO.  Plus as you say, others can cover as first reserves in a natural position- reason I like Lansbury over say Palmer in that central role is that he can slot back into a 3 more readily I think.

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

This. Absolutely this. It bemused me how quickly he veered away from what seemed to have worked well. 

Im absolutely crying out for City to have an identity. Players, in the main, cannot play to the best of their abilities if they’re constantly chopping and changing formations as well as personnel. 

Good example being- though I understand the appeal- a side that had played quite well at Brentford in midweek- and then two changes to midfield. Williams and Lansbury first game for the club- cannot build up any chemistry if you keep changing especially in key zones.

18 hours ago, cityal said:

Personally I liked the 4-1-4-1 with high press we played out of necessity during LJ's purple patch  To my way of thinking that works with a surplus in midfield

While we have been goal shy/shot shy recently I personally don't think having 2 strikers has actually helped us that much. 

LB is an obvious problem in any formation - how long until Baker or any of the recognised LB's are back?

Do you mean in 2017/18? That was great wasn't it...ironically it came about somewhat due to an Injury crisis albeit not as bad as this one!

IIRC. 

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon

Brownhill Pack Smith Bryan

Paterson

Reid

This shape has a lot going for it. Narrower right side- Brownhill and Wright, and the fact that naturally Wright and Magnússon are themselves CBs means you can really condense the space, the centre. You need the right combination of players- of type I mean, not necessarily stellar ability wise- to get it working at its peak though.

Anyway, in some phases it can shapeshift to a back 3, it can shape shift to a fluidish 4-3-3- ie Brownhill drops central, Bryan pushes up and Reid central- one of him or Paterson have to go to the right though, but Bryan was IO think better in this role than LB. Better as an LWB, LM, Left sided attacking mid pushed higher- as an LB not so certain.

Another way of looking at this is a 4-4-2-0- the back 4 and midfield as usual, then Paterson and Reid as strikers but more like attacking midfielders- but no traditional focal point up front- 4-2-4-0 similar if you push Brownhill and Bryan higher. 4-6-0 maybe as Reid was a striker yet had his midfield attributes too- two players in one in a sense.

However put Pisano in and you might get away with it as he could play a bit narrower too- put Bryan to LB and a more traditional wide man- let alone Diedhiou in- and it breaks down. I think we could have worked better towards some replication in 2018/19- some of these are new signings, some are internal replacements due to injury or sale but the principles remain the same:

Maenpaa

Wright Kalas Webster Kelly

Brownhill Pack Walsh DaSilva

Paterson

Weimann

As we can see, some were sold and some were injured. Maenpaa proved a solid addition, and Fielding was injured- think he was slightly better technically than Fielding too- Kalas and Webster were as a pair superior to Flint and Baker on balance- especially Webster but Kalas has shown more technical ability elsewhere in the past. Walsh for Smith only due to injury- Kelly is a CB and LCB so can best perform the Magnússon role, DaSilva might perform the Bryan role.

The big difference is Weimann for Reid- but playing him central and in this shape, might it have suited him more- one alteration but advantage is that out of possession Weimann is also a better fit for coming wide and helping out 2 v 1 in defence and attack. I wonder if this setup could have had some merit in 2018/19?

Problem is when you put in a Diedhiou e.g. the whole dynamic changes- possibly similar if you put in more orthodox wide men or full backs. DaSilva also has less end product than Bryan, and Weimann than Reid though again a more central Weimann in the Reid role maybe? Scored 5 and got an assist in his first 6 games after all!

Archived