IGNORED

The Bigger Club - City or Bournemouth?

WECANDO

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

There is no doubt historically we are far bigger. Most of their life they have bumbled  about twixt fourth and third divs,under the name Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic, lucky if they got 4k crowds. They did have a period of fame under John Bond in the early 70's (Macdougal and Boyer, Gabriel) but flattered to deceive, never went up...

Ooh Slarti! You’re as long in the tooth as me - can’t believe you’ve dismissed Harry’s reign at the helm of the cherries - his Bournemouth side knocked Man Utd out of the FA Cup as a lower league club and then they won the third division title amassing 97 points ... I reckon this period of fame equalled the one to which you referred  ...

How on earth can anyone say Bournemouth are bigger? Success doesn't make you bigger.

Sheffield Wednesday are much bigger than Blackburn yet the later has won the Premier League.

Bristol City is bigger than Bournemouth. Take away their time in the Premier League and what do you have?

Made me laugh the Talksport went on about the vacancy and the interest they have generated in terms of Managerial interest

What kind of question is this?

For as long as Bournemouth have a 10k seater they’re closer to Rovers in club size than us.

4 years of merely surviving in the PL doesn’t change that in the slightest, that’s still 5 years less than what we’ve had in the top flight in our history.

Don’t be so daft.

9 minutes ago, Keepers Ball said:

How on earth can anyone say Bournemouth are bigger? Success doesn't make you bigger.

Sheffield Wednesday are much bigger than Blackburn yet the later has won the Premier League.

Bristol City is bigger than Bournemouth. Take away their time in the Premier League and what do you have?

Made me laugh the Talksport went on about the vacancy and the interest they have generated in terms of Managerial interest

I think success is the measure by which all clubs are judged 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ooh Slarti! You’re as long in the tooth as me - can’t believe you’ve dismissed Harry’s reign at the helm of the cherries - his Bournemouth side knocked Man Utd out of the FA Cup as a lower league club and then they won the third division title amassing 97 points ... I reckon this period of fame equalled the one to which you referred  ...

They didn't stop long though,one, maybe two years ?

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why would Howe be in a position to pick Bournemouth over Bristol City - have they offered him his old job back?!

Sadly more chance of him getting his old job back than the 'n'er-do-wells' offering him a new job with us..

It’s funny as it’s all about perception.

Whats happened in the last 5/10 years on the pitch doesn’t count for a lot for me, when assessing what a ‘big club’ is.

For me it’s a deeper, cultural,  longer running metric based on my experience following football as a passionate fan for almost 40 years.

Bournemouth are not a big club for me and nor are they bigger than City.

If Man City would have slipped one further to div 4, 20 odd years ago, they still would have been a massive club.

Despite being out of the top flight for 15 years and even spending 4 of those in div 3, I know Leeds are much bigger than Fulham or Wigan or Swansea or Bournemouth or Hull or Brighton. Sheff Wed are bigger than those clubs.

For me it’s something you just know, and your div you play can have little to do with it.

8 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

My god, I can't quite believe this topic.

It is so trivial and irrelevant when there are so many more important things to debate about at the moment.

It almost seems childish and frankly who gives a toss.

Sorry. Disagree, it’s very, very relevant.

Every  competent organisation ‘benchmarks’ against rivals. Particularly close scrutiny is applied to comparisons with competitors of similar size and scale.

We, undoubtedly, are failing...and failing badly on the pitch as measured against our competitors. The largest Club never to have achieved Premier League status, now on an accelerating downward spiral and ROI on players plummeting. 

We’re doing well on infrastructure (stadium, training ground) and income generated by off-the-field activities. 

So, if we were a competent business. We’ve benchmarked. The on-the-field football operations are failing. The next question is why? I think my first stop just might be the head of football operations. Now, who would that be?

Of course, we can always apply the ‘bury your head in the sand’ approach, don’t look at what others are doing and continue to repeat the same mistakes, and surprise, surprise, continue to fail. Very much the ‘Bristol Way’ I fear. Which is why we never succeed. 

It's the classic question, what do you have to consider when saying how 'big' a club is?

Bournemouth, generated more money, parachute payments, better squad, arguably better upper management.

City, better stadium, more history (not a lot), more fans, bigger city, wealthier owner.

Archived