IGNORED

The Bigger Club - City or Bournemouth?

WECANDO

11 hours ago, Keepers Ball said:

Bristol City is bigger than Bournemouth. Take away their time in the Premier League and what do you have?

I’m not sure what recent league positions have to do with anything anyway?

Using that logic Yeovil are bigger than Pompey (and the Gas), Blackpool and Wigan are bigger than Wednesday, Derby, Forest and Birmingham And Burton Albion are massive compared to Sunderland. ?

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

My god, I can't quite believe this topic.

It is so trivial and irrelevant when there are so many more important things to debate about at the moment.

It almost seems childish and frankly who gives a toss.

You’re right, it really doesn’t matter outside local bragging rights however it is an interesting debate. Far more interesting than a lot of the other drivel that gets discussed on here.

20 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Yes they are. It's a question of success. The "we've got more fans than you" idea butters no parsnips Slarti. 

Newcastle are a classic case of big club syndrome. What have they won though?.

As I keep saying, more successful doesn't equal bigger, yes, they are better than us, but that's a different argument .

16 hours ago, WECANDO said:

Just having a  chat with a fellow City fan as to which is the bigger club. Bournemouth or Bristol City. He thinks Howe wouldn't pick us over them as they are a bigger club than City. They have parachute money plus better players. I said we have a much bigger stadium and fan base plus top range training facility. All City need is a decent manager. What makes a club bigger than another?

I agree with you we are a bigger club, they are a more successful club in recent years with a few more quid in the pocket at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

Yes they are. It's a question of success. The "we've got more fans than you" idea butters no parsnips Slarti. 

Newcastle have won 4 League titles, 6 FA Cups and a Charity Shield, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup, the ninth highest total of trophies won by an English club.  I think that makes them the 9th biggest club in terms of success and they have a big stadium decent fan base and erm a big fat owner too.

2 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

5 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Newcastle have won 4 League titles, 6 FA Cups and a Charity Shield, as well as the 1969 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 2006 UEFA Intertoto Cup, the ninth highest total of trophies won by an English club.  I think that makes them the 9th biggest club in terms of success and they have a big stadium decent fan base and erm a big fat owner too.

Yes, but apart from 4 league titles, 6 FA Cups the Charity Shield , The 1969 Inter City Fairs Cup ........... what has Newcastle ever won?  :)

Crucially,in the eyes of too many modern day fans just what has Newcastle won since football “really” started in 1993?

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

yes they are, they can attract better players due to a prolonged spell in the top flight,

Which they cheated to get too, made hundreds of millions of £££ and got a £4.75 million pound fine, comical.

Of course we are a bigger club, when Bournemouth turn up at AG with half the crowd I will accept their bigger, something we used to do at theirs. 

Blackburn used to attract players away from Man Utd, were they a bigger club than them at the time!

I find it annoying when some football fans do the “my club is bigger than your club” posturing (although having said that, I enjoy us being bigger than the fewers!). Lots of the time it’s meaningless and so subjective and leads to the arrogant belief “we should be beating teams like this”. 

So as to comparisons between City and Bournemouth - 

They have recently spent a number of seasons in the Premier League (after being a lower division club for pretty much as long as I can remember), have rich owners (I think?) and parachute payments that give them a decent chance of getting promoted (and they are much more likely to be promoted than us). 

We have a bigger ground, bigger crowds, a wealthy owner, a history of mainly having a higher league position than them and higher expectations (not that those have really got us anywhere).

I’m not sure where I’m going with those comparisons.

Anyway, I’ve always enjoyed away trips to Bournemouth and  quite liked their ground before it was rebuilt. 

The "bigger" club debate is a silly argument brought up by fans of failing "big" teams to try to justify their club's ongoing subjective importance in the absence of evidence. There is no doubt at all Bournemouth have had more success than us in recent years.

There might be some criteria some people come up with as to why we're somehow "bigger" despite that but it pretty much counts for diddly squat. All that matters is what happens on the pitch and they do that better than we do. 

10 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’m not sure what recent league positions have to do with anything anyway?

Using that logic Yeovil are bigger than Pompey (and the Gas), Blackpool and Wigan are bigger than Wednesday, Derby, Forest and Birmingham And Burton Albion are massive compared to Sunderland. ?

You’re right, it really doesn’t matter outside local bragging rights however it is an interesting debate. Far more interesting than a lot of the other drivel that gets discussed on here.

You've just argued with your own examples

The obvious adjunct is "potentially"........we have the bigger potential, but  potential won't get us to the Premiership?  And  the more time we waste by continually appointing the wrong manager, the more clubs with less potential will overtake us and leave us behind.  There are only 20   places available at the top table.  At this very moment,  I guess the fact they are going for Thierry Henry while we are looking at Paul Cook, means right now Bournemouth are the bigger club?

11 minutes ago, ciderrider said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I think the fact that Bournemouth are being linked with Thierry Henry and we're being linked with league one nobody's answers your question. 

Regardless of Henry's managerial credentials.

because the words "Premier League" and "parachute payments" come to mind.

People like Henry seem to think in stature bournemouth are a name
-

13 hours ago, Top Robin said:

My god, I can't quite believe this topic.

It is so trivial and irrelevant when there are so many more important things to debate about at the moment.

It almost seems childish and frankly who gives a toss.

statistically mostly young adults followed older men after failed marriages. 

Archived