IGNORED

Simpson & Dowding

old_eastender

It was stated that these two would continue to take training, but has it been stated who will pick the team for Barnsley?

Given the dire football and inept tactics we have seen this season, I have zero faith in the pair of them. Although if them picking the side, will be interesting if they do something different like give Sam Bell a start...

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

It was stated that these two would continue to take training, but has it been stated who will pick the team for Barnsley?

Given the dire football and inept tactics we have seen this season, I have zero faith in the pair of them. Although if them picking the side, will be interesting if they do something different like give Sam Bell a start...

I do think placing our hopes of safety on an inexperienced teenager may not be advisable. 

I would utilise from the bench though for sure. 

6 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I imagine that both were closely involved in team selection under Deano so selecting a match day squad will be familiar to them.

I can’t really see many changes with the limited resources available and  left back remains a significant weakness. Young Towler possibly or if Sessegnon is fit  

I can see Bell in the squad but can’t imagine he’d get a start.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Selections made by caretakers are often quite interesting and will hint at disconnects between coaching staff and manager.

I remember Pemberton’s selection after Cotterill’s departure being quite different from our usual system, likewise Holden’s after Johnson.

But didn't Dean bring those 2 in for their help? If so that would suggest most of the teams would of been decided by the three of them. 
Also out of interest (not replying to anything you’ve said) why do we all assume Simpson will be the one that the board will take 6 weeks and deciding on. Why not Dowding? 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

There will have to be a formal announcement today on who is picking the team for Saturday, as it's press conference time this afternoon. 

It will either be the two clowns or a new manager. 

Why do you call them clowns? are you suggesting that they don’t take anything seriously?

3 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

But didn't Dean bring those 2 in for their help? If so that would suggest most of the teams would of been decided by the three of them. 
Also out of interest (not replying to anything you’ve said) why do we all assume Simpson will be the one that the board will take 6 weeks and deciding on. Why not Dowding? 

My understanding is that Holden, Simpson and Downing were brought in as a package.  Didn’t Dean say that he didn’t know Downing prior to him joining the club?  I’ve never been entirely sure whose idea it was to bring them in, but I didn’t think it was Holden’s.

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

My understanding is that Holden, Simpson and Downing were brought in as a package.  Didn’t Dean say that he didn’t know Downing prior to him joining the club?  I’ve never been entirely sure whose idea it was to bring them in, but I didn’t think it was Holden’s.

? I thought it was Downing, but to be fair he never seems to speak it’s always Simpson being interviewed.  So when I saw the thread title Dowding I thought I must be wrong. 

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I'm sure in one of holdens early interviews he said he wanted to bring them in.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Why do you call them clowns? are you suggesting that they don’t take anything seriously?

They were brought into help out Dean and lead traning sessions as a daily basis with the players. They were also there to assist Dean and support him in his first managerial role. 

This is comfortably the worst coached set of players I have ever seen at Ashton Gate. For the quality of players at their disposal, even taking account of injuries, individual as well as team performances have been pathetic. 

That's why I call them clowns. They carry the can along with Dean and need to be removed from the club ASAP. 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They were brought into help out Dean and lead traning sessions as a daily basis with the players. They were also there to assist Dean and support him in his first managerial role. 

This is comfortably the worst coached set of players I have ever seen at Ashton Gate. For the quality of players at their disposal, even taking account of injuries, individual as well as team performances have been pathetic. 

That's why I call them clowns. They carry the can along with Dean and need to be removed from the club ASAP. 

Couldn’t agree more - for the ability this lot have I’ve never seen a worse City side 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

Couldn’t agree more - for the ability this lot have I’ve never seen a worse City side 

Brought in with bold claims of promotions and England even though they were peripheral to promotions and hardly any coaching takes place with international groups compared to clubs. What happened over the summer was nothing less than a complete shambles and MA JL and SL need to acknowledge that now.

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm expecting both to leave as soon as a new manager is appointed, don't think we can sack them currently as we have no one else capable at the club to carry out thoses duties due to lack of coaching staff, and no I wouldn't in a million years give it to Tinnian or Murray as some have suggested as that would be worse

4 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Who else would pick the team?  Get the tombola out again?  (It's also DowNing)

I agree with KITR, they need to be removed ASAP as well.  They can both go back to youth football.  

Maybe Mark Ashton could use his immense football knowledge to pick the side, he pretty much has the say over everything else... 

You have to have a bit of sympathy for these two really. Both had good jobs with England and both gave them up on whatever DH/MA sold them as their vision for the club. Both likely to be jobless within just a few months....and I bet those England roles are no longer available!

You could say that they should have known it was a risk being part of such an inexperienced head coaches team...still I would love to know how it was all sold to them to convince them to leave England.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I imagine that both were closely involved in team selection under Deano so selecting a match day squad will be familiar to them.

I can’t really see many changes with the limited resources available and  left back remains a significant weakness. Young Towler possibly or if Sessegnon is fit  

I can see Bell in the squad but can’t imagine he’d get a start.

Reckon he'll do me a deal on some lawnmower engines...?

towser.jpg.94cc9121721a7b30e7fda15c2d134142.jpg

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The counter argument is that both of them are fully qualified coaches previously employed with the England national set up. Nobody works with the FA if they're  ‘clowns’

Ultimately it’s down to the players to implement what they’ve been coached and trained to do and recently that hasn’t been applied during matches - so who’s fault is that?  It’s kinda similar to blaming the medical/physio departments for our injury list.

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But didn't you know Keith Downing was a promotion winner with West Brom? ?

Couldn't agree more though. England's Under 21 Manager is Aidy Boothroyd , I think that says it all about the age group Coaches at the National level. Steve and Mark have had their pants pulled down by so called 'coaches' yet again. 

10 minutes ago, Devereux said:

You have to have a bit of sympathy for these two really. Both had good jobs with England and both gave them up on whatever DH/MA sold them as their vision for the club. Both likely to be jobless within just a few months....and I bet those England roles are no longer available!

You could say that they should have known it was a risk being part of such an inexperienced head coaches team...still I would love to know how it was all sold to them to convince them to leave England.

It was quite easy to convince them, they were the ones looking for new jobs and may have even applied for the top role. I'm surprised how few people knew they were being laid off from their England roles when they arrived. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12033288/england-coaches-in-danger-amid-fa-job-cuts

54 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Speaks volumes that the OP didn’t even know his name. 

1 minute ago, dREDful said:

It was quite easy to convince them, they were the ones looking for new jobs and may have even applied for the top role. I'm surprised how few people knew they were being laid off from their England roles when they arrived. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12033288/england-coaches-in-danger-amid-fa-job-cuts

Good spot - I didn’t know that. And it certainly makes a mockery of them being “excited” by the project of assisting a total rookie manager when so say they’d turned down other opportunities. 

3 minutes ago, dREDful said:

Oh, didn't realise that!

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The counter argument is that both of them are fully qualified coaches previously employed with the England national set up. Nobody works with the FA if they're  ‘clowns’

Ultimately it’s down to the players to implement what they’ve been coached and trained to do and recently that hasn’t been applied during matches - so who’s fault is that?  It’s kinda similar to blaming the medical/physio departments for our injury list.

You think working for the FA is an endorsement of their abilities ?

Its an organisation and very much ‘who you know’

It isn’t and never has been a Centre of Excellence or Expertise

Archived