IGNORED

Simpson & Dowding

old_eastender

5 minutes ago, Devereux said:

Oh, didn't realise that!

It probably shouldn't really be a surprise that many don't know. I follow the younger England age groups results, squads, news etc. so that's how I knew. 

More surprising is probably that it wasn't highlighted in the local press at the time. Not sure if no research was done or whether the club begged them not to bring attention to it as they sold their appointments as a bit coup for the club and Holden. 

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

You think working for the FA is an endorsement of their abilities ?

Its an organisation and very much ‘who you know’

It isn’t and never has been a Centre of Excellence or Expertise

Yep. Just look at who's in charge of the U21s and how badly they've underachieved the last few years with some of the players they've had available. 

3 minutes ago, dREDful said:

It probably shouldn't really be a surprise that many don't know. I follow the younger England age groups results, squads, news etc. so that's how I knew. 

More surprising is probably that it wasn't highlighted in the local press at the time. Not sure if no research was done or whether the club begged them not to bring attention to it as they sold their appointments as a bit coup for the club and Holden. 

It was mentioned on here that the FA were making cuts when they arrived , I’m sure I commented on it

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Selections made by caretakers are often quite interesting and will hint at disconnects between coaching staff and manager.

I remember Pemberton’s selection after Cotterill’s departure being quite different from our usual system, likewise Holden’s after Johnson.

Let's just get the Caretaker or even the Tea Lady to have a crack at it.

If one of them is going to lead the team I would like to think it's Simpson, who has at least managed a few clubs and even won promotion twice, albeit we're scraping the lower-league barrel with both of them. Contrast with Downing who hasn't managed a real team for nearly 15 years and that was Cheltenham (though did act as caretaker in the Premier League).

Of course we hire the two England coaches who are on the way out, while Swansea hire the one who while working at a lower level in the FA age groups, had the clear upward pedigree having run Liverpool's academy. We do the vanity hire that makes a good "England setup" soundbite, they go for the one you get if you did your homework and really wanted talent.

On an unrelated note, has Paul Simpson ever mentioned his connection to Adam Nagy before? I didn't realise they worked together in Portugal when Nagy was a kid (prior to Simpson going on to be a coach for McClaren at Derby and Newcastle). Interesting bit of trivia and never heard it commented upon - perhaps they long since don't recognise one another.

I’ve said before that we took a big risk in throwing three relative strangers together and expecting them to work as a cohesive unit. In this case the gamble clearly failed and this time round we need to just appoint aN experienced gaffer and his preferred trusted coaches. Not worth another gamble (shambles).

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The counter argument is that both of them are fully qualified coaches previously employed with the England national set up. Nobody works with the FA if they're  ‘clowns’

Ultimately it’s down to the players to implement what they’ve been coached and trained to do and recently that hasn’t been applied during matches - so who’s fault is that?  It’s kinda similar to blaming the medical/physio departments for our injury list.

The Manager / Head Coach. Its his job to assess how well his ideas, the coaching and training is being implemented on the pitch.

Coaches frequently will/can have little to no tactical input, its not the role. 

As an aside injuries to players can be associated with change. Changing the demands in training frequently and altering how you train can injure players instead of conditioning bodies over weeks and months. Bristol City alter a lot in and season and x this seasons heavy playing demands =  Players will be injured more frequently. Its the Manager / Head Coach job to assess .. 

1 hour ago, Devereux said:

You have to have a bit of sympathy for these two really. Both had good jobs with England and both gave them up on whatever DH/MA sold them as their vision for the club. Both likely to be jobless within just a few months....and I bet those England roles are no longer available!

You could say that they should have known it was a risk being part of such an inexperienced head coaches team...still I would love to know how it was all sold to them to convince them to leave England.

i agree.   I feel sorry for Holden too.   OK he put his hat in the ring but he never in a million years should have been encouraged,  let alone given the job.

The counter argument is that both of them are fully qualified coaches previously employed with the England national set up. Nobody works with the FA if they're  ‘clowns’

Hard disagree. This clown was made England Under 19s manager after we sacked him  

image.gif.cc0ee311862944fce5b6e59279bdbd34.gif

This is the thing I don't get. Both Simpson and Downing seem to be respected in the game and, when you read interviews with them, it's pretty clear both are knowledgeable and have a lot of experience in the game to drawn on.

I agree with the posters who have said that the coaching has looked awful and the players seem utterly directionless but I'm genuinely baffled as to why. I'm not saying they are the best coaches around but surely, with their track records, they can't be as bad as the team has looked in recent weeks? 

1 hour ago, dREDful said:

It was quite easy to convince them, they were the ones looking for new jobs and may have even applied for the top role. I'm surprised how few people knew they were being laid off from their England roles when they arrived. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12033288/england-coaches-in-danger-amid-fa-job-cuts

No idea how I missed this last summer but I can't have been alone.

So the pair of them were being let go as part of cost-cutting measures amid concerns about the development of England's young players?!

I mean... wow.

Ultimately it’s down to the players to implement what they’ve been coached and trained to do and recently that hasn’t been applied during matches - so who’s fault is that?  It’s kinda similar to blaming the medical/physio departments for our injury list.

The point is that the players clearly haven’t been coached properly.

And any old clown can get a job with the FA

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

This is the thing I don't get. Both Simpson and Downing seem to be respected in the game and, when you read interviews with them, it's pretty clear both are knowledgeable and have a lot of experience in the game to drawn on.

I agree with the posters who have said that the coaching has looked awful and the players seem utterly directionless but I'm genuinely baffled as to why. I'm not saying they are the best coaches around but surely, with their track records, they can't be as bad as the team has looked in recent weeks? 

Possibility.

Bristol City again are experiencing lots of change. Add injuries. Add players playing in roles that their qualities do not meet equally. In a season where the team is playing three times a week leaving less time for preparation to implement the changes. 

The alchemy there has to have an affect on confidence and performance. 

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

I’ve said before that we took a big risk in throwing three relative strangers together and expecting them to work as a cohesive unit. In this case the gamble clearly failed and this time round we need to just appoint aN experienced gaffer and his preferred trusted coaches. Not worth another gamble (shambles).

I always feared about the dynamics of this set up.

Could Dean manage these two and create a clear tactical vision for the team with coaching/training sessions to support - clearly not.

Can't pass, can't compete and no motivation whatsoever.

As you say, we need an experienced manager who can bring in his own trusted team.

Simpson and Dowding hopefully only caretakers - need to move on.

2 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

? I thought it was Downing, but to be fair he never seems to speak it’s always Simpson being interviewed.  So when I saw the thread title Dowding I thought I must be wrong. 

Just been questioning myself on the  exact same thing ?.

crazy what a slight bit of doubt can do to you. 

26 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

No idea how I missed this last summer but I can't have been alone.

So the pair of them were being let go as part of cost-cutting measures amid concerns about the development of England's young players?!

I mean... wow.

Not such an incredible double coup from the club as we were led to believe then! :whistle2:

Can only hope they aren't being paid much and the plan is for both to exit asap.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not such an incredible double coup from the club as we were led to believe then! :whistle2:

Can only hope they aren't being paid much and the plan is for both to exit asap.

I just can't believe this wasn't more widely known/publicised. It's almost as though that article was written in hindsight mentioning those two so specifically!

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Selections made by caretakers are often quite interesting and will hint at disconnects between coaching staff and manager.

I remember Pemberton’s selection after Cotterill’s departure being quite different from our usual system, likewise Holden’s after Johnson.

Yeah, it’s always very telling and very intriguing! 

Also I suppose caretakers feel that need to do something different after a manager has gone due to a run of bad form. 

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

It was mentioned on here that the FA were making cuts when they arrived , I’m sure I commented on it

I said at the time that as part of a covid cost cutting measure at george's were reviewing their coaching numbers and these two were being let go! In the hullabaloo surrounding deans appointment it sort of got swept under the carpet

Archived