IGNORED

Simpson & Dowding

old_eastender

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They were brought into help out Dean and lead traning sessions as a daily basis with the players. They were also there to assist Dean and support him in his first managerial role. 

This is comfortably the worst coached set of players I have ever seen at Ashton Gate. For the quality of players at their disposal, even taking account of injuries, individual as well as team performances have been pathetic. 

That's why I call them clowns. They carry the can along with Dean and need to be removed from the club ASAP. 

THIS ⬆️

I am surprised they’ve not been labelled as Paul Simpleton and Stuart Clowning  

It doesn’t help that people remember how nondescript Steve Wigley was during the caretaker spell. Both seem fairly dour too.

It’s difficult to criticise coaches too much as we don’t know exactly what they do on a day to day and whether the former manager listened to them.. however I think they all should shoulder some responsibility for this season. We’ve looked so poor in matches, made so many rookie errors and our shape and positioning so flimsy that it’s clear our training hasn’t been too effective. 

It’s right I think that we have a fresh start with the new boss and let him bring in his own people. We have to get this appointment right or it’ll cost us with more payoffs in the future. 

Simpson and Downing were brought in to assist Holden. Holden’s failure is partly their failure.

we all wanted Holden and his assistants to be a brilliant appointment. They were not. Yes injuries were a problem but the absolute failure to even be able to mount a serious attack with what we had was mortifying.

I don’t know who will pick the side on Saturday, but I’m hoping its Tinman as the next best fella is managing the girls team!

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m not.

Two reasons.

- It’s a bit shit

- His names Keith

Stuart Downing plays for Blackburn

Ha ha what a Wally. 

Typing while trying to paint a Red Dead Redemption theme on my boys radiator has led to me to be the clown. 

I knew something was wrong ? 

4 hours ago, dREDful said:

It was quite easy to convince them, they were the ones looking for new jobs and may have even applied for the top role. I'm surprised how few people knew they were being laid off from their England roles when they arrived. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12033288/england-coaches-in-danger-amid-fa-job-cuts

Thanks for sharing that. I hadn’t seen that back last summer. 
Certainly adds more evidence to the total ‘spin’ we put on these appointments. 
It was presented as us almost pulling off some huge coup, but in actual fact, they were soon to be out on their ears anyway. 
Add that to the ludicrous spin job about their historical achievements and it’s looking ever more like a very tall tale again from our CEO. Who’d have thought ?

6 hours ago, Rob k said:

Couldn’t agree more - for the ability this lot have I’ve never seen a worse City side 

I have to agree Rob....I might’ve moaned at some of LJ’s teams performances, but bar those early 2 months of this season, some of the performance levels and decision making has been scandalous.

Holden-ball (tongue in cheek) didn’t last long.

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The Manager / Head Coach. Its his job to assess how well his ideas, the coaching and training is being implemented on the pitch.

Coaches frequently will/can have little to no tactical input, its not the role. 

As an aside injuries to players can be associated with change. Changing the demands in training frequently and altering how you train can injure players instead of conditioning bodies over weeks and months. Bristol City alter a lot in and season and x this seasons heavy playing demands =  Players will be injured more frequently. Its the Manager / Head Coach job to assess .. 

And therein lies the problem of expecting a coach to be able to step-up into the head-coach role.  Some will have the extra set of skills to make that jump, some won’t.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We’ve looked so poor in matches, made so many rookie errors and our shape and positioning so flimsy that it’s clear our training hasn’t been too effective. 

I watched the Watford goals again - apart from the two we actually scored for them ( unlucky deflections maybe?),  the others came from us giving the ball away needlessly.   It's like watching kids.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Thanks for sharing that. I hadn’t seen that back last summer. 
Certainly adds more evidence to the total ‘spin’ we put on these appointments. 
It was presented as us almost pulling off some huge coup, but in actual fact, they were soon to be out on their ears anyway. 
Add that to the ludicrous spin job about their historical achievements and it’s looking ever more like a very tall tale again from our CEO. Who’d have thought ?

it looks more and more like Ashton cobbled the terrible trio together himself.

I think I read somewhere that they were persuaded to come by giving two and half year contracts.  They won't be on colossal salaries though.

It always staggers me why clubs such as City splash out millions on players who may or may not come off but penny pinch instead of head hunting elite recruitment coaching / managerial staff.  Not only does that help bring a successful side but more than pays for itself in the enhanced value of players recruited and coached.

10 minutes ago, Daniro said:

it looks more and more like Ashton cobbled the terrible trio together himself.

It’s certainly got the whiff of that.

Look, I know in football people know people and there are links you may not know exist, but IIRC Holden had no links whatsoever with Downing certainly, and a passing acquaintance with Simpson. 

If I’m Holden, and I’m taking charge of a job at a level I’ve never managed at before, I want someone on board who I know and I can trust as my assistant. Not someone who I’ve heard good things about - somebody I know I can work with. Hell, even established managers make sure they have a team in place they trust and take everywhere (Warnock, Blackwell, Jepson for example - Mad Mick and Connor another). And for new bosses - take someone like Lampard who when taking charge at Derby ensured his assistant was someone he knew well (Morris) and could lean on - ditto Gerrard at Rangers when he took Gary McAllister.

The dynamic between a manager and his coaches is vital. Holdens been in the game long enough to know that. So, why, in his first real job, would he appoint as his right hand men people he didn’t know and had no idea if he could work with?

The whole things weird.

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s certainly got the whiff of that.

Look, I know in football people know people and there are links you may not know exist, but IIRC Holden had no links whatsoever with Downing certainly, and a passing acquaintance with Simpson. 

If I’m Holden, and I’m taking charge of a job at a level I’ve never managed at before, I want someone on board who I know and I can trust as my assistant. Not someone who I’ve heard good things about - somebody I know I can work with. Hell, even established managers make sure they have a team in place they trust and take everywhere (Warnock, Blackwell, Jepson for example - Mad Mick and Connor another). And for new bosses - take someone like Lampard who when taking charge at Derby ensured his assistant was someone he knew well (Morris) and could lean on - ditto Gerrard at Rangers when he took Gary McAllister.

The dynamic between a manager and his coaches is vital. Holdens been in the game long enough to know that. So, why, in his first real job, would he appoint as his right hand men people he didn’t know and had no idea if he could work with?

The whole things weird.

Just watched the video of the press conference where Ashton introduces Holden.   Says they had detailed conversations with 10 people and shortlisted 4.

But look at his body language at 17.47 when he says " What this club has done, or to be fair, what Dean has done is said that he wants to bring in that experience around him."  

On 18/02/2021 at 10:31, David Brent said:

The point is that the players clearly haven’t been coached properly.

And any old clown can get a job with the FA

Totally agree with that.  

The FA don't have a great record on giving clowns all sorts of jobs - the last Chairman Greg Clarke proves the point 

Archived