IGNORED

Purchased Players

Berkshire Red

Brownhill developed massively during his time here and became an excellent player. 

Webster. I didn’t have any idea when we signed him how good he’d be. 

Rowe. 

That’s all I can think of. Which doesn’t say much either for my memory or for our recruitment. 

20 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Ashton has come under a lot of stick recently, and IMO rightly so.

Just wondering, with the exception of players brought through the academy, which player purchased during the Ashton era have exceeded expectations at the club?

Was JET before Ashton? 

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He may not be flavour of the month but Diedhiou has been pretty solid.  Whether he has exceeded expectations is debatable.

Solid - yep, fair enough.

Then ask yourself whether a £5.3m record signing (at the time) was meant to be just solid?  I know that’s me moving the goalposts, but surely part of the consideration.  Certainly not exceeded expectations imho

FWIW, here’s mine:

Bentley, Brownhill, Webster, Bakinson - if you include loans then Abraham

Borderline:

Dasilva - would be a definite if not for injuries, Weimann

Thats a 10% hit rate.

I do appreciate there have been some decent signings too, but we should be doing better than 10%.

In terms of “stinkers”:

Tomlin, Hegeler, Matthews, Lucic, Ekstrand, Watkins, Palmer, plus loans of Kent, Diony, Woodrow, Henriksen

Borderline stinkers:

quite a few

Some of the above I think are good players too, e.g. Woodrow and Henriksen.

30 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

If we'd sold CO'D to Leeds we'd probably be saying him as well.

I don’t think anyone could ever suggest that COD has exceeded expectations, although if he’d gone to Leeds he’d probably have benefitted from good coaching, so who knows!

8 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Bentley

Abraham

Eliasson

Brownhill

Webster

Bakinson

Weimann

DaSilva

Kalas

Nagy

Massengo

O'Dowda

Hunt (not been bad)

Diedhiou

Paterson

Taylor

Maenpaa

Magnússon

Pisano

Martin

Williams (hopefully)

Walsh (hopefully)

Bailey Wright wasn't bad and played a big part in the cup run season,

They have all exceeded expectations? Can’t agree at all.  Kalas certainly has not exceeded my expectations. Think he was better on loan than since he’s signed permanently 

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They have all exceeded expectations? Can’t agree at all.  Kalas certainly has not exceeded my expectations. Think he was better on loan than since he’s signed permanently 

Maybe I never read the original question, mine was more a list of players who I believe have proven to be decent players for us over the period of Mark Ashton's tenure.

Just now, Dolman_Stand said:

Maybe I never read the original question, mine was more a list of players who I believe have proven to be decent players for us over the period of Mark Ashton's tenure.

Yes, now please go and re-do your list and then stand in the corner with your hands on your head! ???

38 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Bentley

Abraham

Eliasson

Brownhill

Webster

Bakinson

Weimann

DaSilva

Kalas

Nagy

Massengo

O'Dowda

Hunt (not been bad)

Diedhiou

Paterson

Taylor

Maenpaa

Magnússon

Pisano

Martin

Williams (hopefully)

Walsh (hopefully)

Haven't you got better things to do, Mark?  ?

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

The loan signing Fabian Geifer seems to be overlooked in all this despite being about six and a half feet tall. Currently the number one choice with Wurzburger Kickers. 

I didn’t miss him.  Imho he wasn’t a stinker, so he didn’t make my list.  He was better than Marinovic though.

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Bentley

Abraham

Eliasson

Brownhill

Webster

Bakinson

Weimann

DaSilva

Kalas

Nagy

Massengo

O'Dowda

Hunt (not been bad)

Diedhiou

Paterson

Taylor

Maenpaa

Magnússon

Pisano

Martin

Williams (hopefully)

Walsh (hopefully)

Blimey, that’s a lot of players who have exceeded expectations. Ashton and Co should be extremely proud of the job they are doing, if that’s the case. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Solid - yep, fair enough.

Then ask yourself whether a £5.3m record signing (at the time) was meant to be just solid?  I know that’s me moving the goalposts, but surely part of the consideration.  Certainly not exceeded expectations imho

FWIW, here’s mine:

Bentley, Brownhill, Webster, Bakinson - if you include loans then Abraham

Borderline:

Dasilva - would be a definite if not for injuries, Weimann

Thats a 10% hit rate.

I do appreciate there have been some decent signings too, but we should be doing better than 10%.

In terms of “stinkers”:

Tomlin, Hegeler, Matthews, Lucic, Ekstrand, Watkins, Palmer, plus loans of Kent, Diony, Woodrow, Henriksen

Borderline stinkers:

quite a few

Some of the above I think are good players too, e.g. Woodrow and Henriksen.

Some interesting ones here- Tomlin was great on loan and reasonable until say October 2016 output wise- then fell off a cliff. Matthews was good on loan, why we re-signed him in the first place but then when he actually returned he was largely terrible- one of the Fulham goals around this time 4 years ago was a great example- was he even that interested 2nd loan spell?

Thought Ekstrand was a fairly short term signing, wasn't he largely injured too? EDIT- just checked him, seems according to Wiki anyway he suffered from injuries at Watford in 2015/16 too and latterly when going to Rotherham, he also suffered from knee injuries. Given he proved himself a competent CB at this level with Watford and certainly wasn't too old, seems strange we didn't make more use of him- fitness permitting.

Hegeler had a stint out injured, think we didn't play him in a shape that would get the best out of him additionally. He clearly wasn't suited to a CM 2- like a lot of our midfield signings tbh!

For as long as we keep insisting on certain midfield shapes, we'll be at a disadvantage in this League I suspect.

Woodrow as you say good player, unsure we saw the best of, Henriksen we used not so well.

In terms of exceeding expectations none I think of those 6 I highlighted would have but outright fail or flop- more nuanced in a few instances IMO.

14 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Problem is it's not a black and white question. There are good players that might well have exceeded expectations under a different manager that failed here. Should Mark Ashton take flak for Tomlin being an arsehole or for Joe Williams buying a timeshare in our treatment room? 

He’s the one who bangs on about due diligence. Which I think now we can al agree is utter tosh given how the current players are proving so gutless 

Archived