IGNORED

Purchased Players

Berkshire Red

The Henriksen episode is the one that bugs me. A guy who had not played competitively for months (in other words not match fit) but with quite the pedigree and what does LJ do? Flog him in midfield for about 4 games in a row, his performance worsening as he became more knackered and immediately he’s written off as being no good. 

Some of our man management has been really poor in the past couple of years, the latest being playing Taylor Moore on the left of a back 3, a position he clearly doesn’t like and struggles with, when we have Kalas who can naturally play in that position and frequently has.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Solid - yep, fair enough.

Then ask yourself whether a £5.3m record signing (at the time) was meant to be just solid?  I know that’s me moving the goalposts, but surely part of the consideration.  Certainly not exceeded expectations imho

FWIW, here’s mine:

Bentley, Brownhill, Webster, Bakinson - if you include loans then Abraham

Borderline:

Dasilva - would be a definite if not for injuries, Weimann

Thats a 10% hit rate.

I do appreciate there have been some decent signings too, but we should be doing better than 10%.

In terms of “stinkers”:

Tomlin, Hegeler, Matthews, Lucic, Ekstrand, Watkins, Palmer, plus loans of Kent, Diony, Woodrow, Henriksen

Borderline stinkers:

quite a few

Some of the above I think are good players too, e.g. Woodrow and Henriksen.

Overall the recruitment has been nowhere near good enough and 10% isn't good at all but over the time Johnson started and Holden the turnover of players is way to high to have a successful playing squad. 

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some interesting ones here- Tomlin was great on loan and reasonable until say October 2016 output wise- then fell off a cliff. Matthews was good on loan, why we re-signed him in the first place but then when he actually returned he was largely terrible- one of the Fulham goals around this time 4 years ago was a great example- was he even that interested 2nd loan spell?

Thought Ekstrand was a fairly short term signing, wasn't he largely injured too? EDIT- just checked him, seems according to Wiki anyway he suffered from injuries at Watford in 2015/16 too and latterly when going to Rotherham, he also suffered from knee injuries. Given he proved himself a competent CB at this level with Watford and certainly wasn't too old, seems strange we didn't make more use of him- fitness permitting.

Hegeler had a stint out injured, think we didn't play him in a shape that would get the best out of him additionally. He clearly wasn't suited to a CM 2- like a lot of our midfield signings tbh!

For as long as we keep insisting on certain midfield shapes, we'll be at a disadvantage in this League I suspect.

Woodrow as you say good player, unsure we saw the best of, Henriksen we used not so well.

In terms of exceeding expectations none I think of those 6 I highlighted would have but outright fail or flop- more nuanced in a few instances IMO.

And to summarise what you wrote above....we’ve signed some decent players on paper, but haven’t really  thought how they’d fit in.  FAILURE.

5 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t think anyone could ever suggest that COD has exceeded expectations, although if he’d gone to Leeds he’d probably have benefitted from good coaching, so who knows!

This exactly, many players were held back by coming to us, whether that’s down to poor coaching or behind the scenes problems we will never know. It’s pretty clear that Ashtons players and LJs players had different prospects when it came to selection. There can’t be many teams in the English game where the coach cannot choose his own player pool! 

I never claimed to like LJ but it always seemed like there were lots of non football problems that we will never know about - sometimes very well illustrated by the body language of the coaches pitch side

6 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Bentley

Abraham

Eliasson

Brownhill

Webster

Bakinson

Weimann

DaSilva

Kalas

Nagy

Massengo

O'Dowda

Hunt (not been bad)

Diedhiou

Paterson

Taylor

Maenpaa

Magnússon

Pisano

Martin

Williams (hopefully)

Walsh (hopefully)

Bailey Wright wasn't bad and played a big part in the cup run season,

I'd disagree that a lot of these have exceeded expectations and progressed at the club. 

You'd say Nagy, Massengo, O'Dowda, Martin, Walsh, Williams, Taylor have exceeded expectations? 

Kalas and Diedhiou, I'd argue given their price tags that they have gone on to prove themselves as bargains? 

Bentley has proved a bargain this season and has been a class signing, as was Abraham loan and the small fee paid for maenpaa.

Webster also while expensive was a great addition and instantly improved us and made a significant profit. Otherwise I'd say a lot have been a waste of valuable wages and transfer fees for underwhelming performances in return.

10 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

I'd disagree that a lot of these have exceeded expectations and progressed at the club. 

You'd say Nagy, Massengo, O'Dowda, Martin, Walsh, Williams, Taylor have exceeded expectations? 

Kalas and Diedhiou, I'd argue given their price tags that they have gone on to prove themselves as bargains? 

Bentley has proved a bargain this season and has been a class signing, as was Abraham loan and the small fee paid for maenpaa.

Webster also while expensive was a great addition and instantly improved us and made a significant profit. Otherwise I'd say a lot have been a waste of valuable wages and transfer fees for underwhelming performances in return.

How much of the fails, or perceived fails, is down to coaching, development and setup though? As opposed to them being poor players verbatim.

Not many have exceeded expectations though, agreed.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How much of the fails, or perceived fails, is down to coaching, development and setup though? As opposed to them being poor players verbatim.

Not many have exceeded expectations though, agreed.

I'd say certainly not purely Ashton fault, but as a CEO who was on the radio only a couple of weekends bigging himself up for his fantastic transfer dealings there have been an awful lot of failures and unusual signings that he has green lighted.

Seems we change approach every season .. one year we go signing youth players from bayern Munich and Juventus.

Then we go for foreign players from Sweden etc.

Then we have a year of signing chelseas entire youth academy.

Archived