IGNORED

If not Paul Cook, then who?

And Its Smith

If not Paul Cook, then who?  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, steveybadger said:

Always think the jobs he has done and have been pretty impressive. Took Scunthorpe up, Saints twice inc out of the Championship.....and look what happened to the basket case which is Hull after he left.

massively underrated in my opinion 

45 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Pearson - Warnock - Mad Mick

We’re in such serious shite, all three are needed.

Pearson to sort Ashton 

Warnock the players

Mad Mick the media

If BCTV filmed the Club’s transformation, the combined management salaries could be comfortably covered by subscriptions. 

I wouldn’t want any of them but I’d still love to see that!

Paul cook is probably the best available for what we are willing to spend and our seemingly lack of ambition or desire for yes men, but for me as are the rest of that sorry list, they are all very uninspiring

however the market is short of any excitement.

would have loved McCarthy in the summer or now but starting to settle for cook or dare I say it Appleton 

49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Adkins, really- League One standard?

Got Southampton out of League one and took Sheffield United to mid table obscurity in League one. Bombed with Reading in the Prem.

Championship took Southampton up but also took Hull City to mid table obscurity.

Good and bad with all managers but imo Adkins is a good league one manager.

28 minutes ago, Northern Cider Ed said:

Im struggling to see the general hate for Danny Cowley

3 promotions in seven seasons with Concord Rovers

Playoffs in only full season with Braintree in national league (part time team up against a fair few full time teams

First season at Lincoln won the national league and got to the FA Cup Quarter finals defeating premier league Burnley on the way

Second season at Lincoln got to playoffs and won EFL Trophy despite being league two

Third season at Lincoln won league two

Went to Huddersfield who were near bottom of Championship in September. Won Championship manager of month in October. Kept them up, then sacked for reasons unknown

Yes Paul Cook has an outstanding lower league record but so does Cowley, probably with lower budget teams. Just don't get the negativity around him.  

Dont forget you get not one Cowley but 2 Cowleys.

5 minutes ago, Stockwood gate said:

I often think back to when Steve Cotterill was given the opportunity to manage our great club and probably lots of us said what a poor choice but what a great manager he was , it’s all a gamble manager players come and go 

Some are bigger gambles than others. Which of the following would you rather appoint?

1. Been promoted at each club he’s worked at, genuine good eye for quality players and gets team to perform greater than the sum of their parts while playing good football. 

2. Genuinely nice man. Once managed a league two team for a short while. Assistant to a coach playing some of the worst football ever seen. 

Funnily enough that was the choice that Ashton & Lansdown had back in the summer. No brainer wasn’t it?

29 minutes ago, Northern Cider Ed said:

Playoffs in only full season with Braintree in national league (part time team up against a fair few full time teams

First season at Lincoln won the national league and got to the FA Cup Quarter finals defeating premier league Burnley on the way

Second season at Lincoln got to playoffs and won EFL Trophy despite being league two

Went to Huddersfield who were near bottom of Championship in September. Won Championship manager of month in October. Kept them up, then sacked for reasons unknown

Yes Paul Cook has an outstanding lower league record but so does Cowley, probably with lower budget teams. Just don't get the negativity around him.  

I think it's accepted that he was sacked because he fell out over not having control over transfers? So probably a no-go for us!

Thanks for the write-up though; it is a seriously impressive CV.

5 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

I think it's accepted that he was sacked because he fell out over not having control over transfers? So probably a no-go for us!

Thanks for the write-up though; it is a seriously impressive CV.

There is a pattern emerging. Are there any examples of success stories of head coaches that succeed with recruitment done by ceo's with no real football background?

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Are we really considering Russell Martin, 13th in League 1 a serious option?

Have things got that bad? What a depressing list that is.

I wonder if everyone just thinks it’s fair game for a crack because of our previous appointment. 

At least Russell Martin is a manager!

54 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Are we really considering Russell Martin, 13th in League 1 a serious option?

Have things got that bad? What a depressing list that is.

Listen to a clip of him and you’ll see why.. he’s our board’s type of guy. Very articulate, intelligent and insightful. The sort of manager that would be described as ‘forward thinking’ in the media.

By all accounts he’s got MK Dons playing good football, but now isn’t the time for an indulgent ‘project’ appointment for a manager to learn with.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ah yes, forgot on Monk- arguably took Swansea backwards though, in the end. Did alright at Birmingham, seemed not to last so long at Middlesbrough, bizarrely got sacked by Sheffield Wednesday after a win vs Bournemouth and draw with Millwall- the former at that point were unbeaten.

Wednesday fans hated him 

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I've actually gone with Russell Martin. Looked into him a bit and he seems very promising.

But Lowe seems a very good manager so would be more than happy with him. 

Cowley done very well too so don't mind him either.

Adkins plays good football from what I remember about him. Would not be against that.

Appleton seems good too. Was impressed with watching his Lincoln side the other week. Oxford fans love him. Don't know much about him but seems a good manager.

So any of them, then...

2 hours ago, steveybadger said:

I wouldn’t want any of them but I’d still love to see that!

Yep.

Pearson putting Ashton in his place by using a single, cutting, one-liner would be comedy gold. 

Warnock dealing with those players who can’t win 75:25 challenges, let alone 50:50’s or fulfil a successful pass completion to a red shirt 5 yards away would also be a joy to watch.

As KK would say ‘I’d luv it’.

The only difference to your thoughts... I’d willingly have any of them. Old school may be, but they know how to build and organise a winning team. 

I would rather give Chris Martin the job over Russell Martin.

Am I missing something with Russell? Has literally no management experience and just took over as manager as he was playing at the Dons when Tisdale went to the gas. He hasn’t torn up any trees there so fair either. We may as well just leave Simpson in charge for the rest of the season if that is the case, who at least has a couple of promotions on his CV. Not that I would even remotely want that either.

2 hours ago, Northern Cider Ed said:

I’m also baffled as to why the Cowley’s aren’t more prominent in people’s preferences. Incredible track record either punching above their weight or transforming under-performing sides and achieving all those promotions in the process.

Seem like very smart individuals and exactly what we need to rebuild the connection between the club and us fans. This YT video gives an insight into their approach...

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Got Southampton out of League one and took Sheffield United to mid table obscurity in League one. Bombed with Reading in the Prem.

Championship took Southampton up but also took Hull City to mid table obscurity.

Good and bad with all managers but imo Adkins is a good league one manager.

More success than failure IMO.

Went into Southampton and successive promotions, steered them above the bottom 3.

Stabilised Hull, they were struggling when he took charge.

Reading were already going down, midtable or lower midtable in Championship.

Sheffield United a notable failure, useful work at Scunthorpe a club of that size.

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Listen to a clip of him and you’ll see why.. he’s our board’s type of guy. Very articulate, intelligent and insightful. The sort of manager that would be described as ‘forward thinking’ in the media.

By all accounts he’s got MK Dons playing good football, but now isn’t the time for an indulgent ‘project’ appointment for a manager to learn with.

With respect, just another punt then? Seems like Lansdown is looking for that hidden gem of a coach...

It might eventually pay off...

44 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

With respect, just another punt then? Seems like Lansdown is looking for that hidden gem of a coach...

It might eventually pay off...

Yeah pretty much. There’s a time and a place for that sort of appointment, but we’ve had that for the past 5 years.

Now isn't the time to indulge in a ‘project’. 

Archived