IGNORED

Manager to keep us up

The Bard

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

A matter of opinion. A number of his teams rarely would make passing passages of more than three passes. And teams were encouraged (punished) to not play backwards or sideways. Personally I find it excruciatingly boring but have managed to watch games of it. I have found some of Warnocks teams interesting in that players have to ignore what they are, abandon their skill sets to play in some of his XI's in certain positions. His counter press at Cardiff was impressive.

Its dark ages football. Its anti football. Anti skill in many respects. Its 2021 many many teams progress without installing the qualities Warnock uses. Work rate, organised, well any successful team will have that. Its hardly an aim. 

As a fan and coach yes we have the right to judge. 

But do his teams have shots?

38 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Neil is not a ‘horrid man’ - his pantomime villain, football persona is a well-researched act to take pressure off his players and it has worked perfectly for decades with so many people falling for it - he can’t believe how he has got away with it for so long and people still go for it hook, line and sinker ...

People keep saying this, but what evidence is there? All I see is a man who’s charming when he gets his own way and vile when he doesn’t. Bipolar.

20 minutes ago, Leveller said:

People keep saying this, but what evidence is there? All I see is a man who’s charming when he gets his own way and vile when he doesn’t. Bipolar.

I’m assuming you’re basing that opinion from what you see on TV? Like I said, his well-rehearsed public persona is so much different from the real-life Warnock - due to the nature of my job many moons ago, I met Neil on a few occasions - and, away from the frenetic and pressure-filled dressing rooms, touchlines and press conferences, he’s a a really nice bloke ...

• Admin
5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

I do not understand the love for Colin.

Horrid man, horrid football. An English Pulis.

You can't compare their records in the game, one is very successful especially getting out of our league

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

He gets results, I suppose. Certainly at this level. And he puts out eleven lads that bust a gut. 

That's why he wouldn't work with us, our side haven't demonstrated any fight all season.

Most of the current squad would currently struggle to get out of a wet paper bag

16 hours ago, Fammyfan said:

We’re on the verge of safety already, most likely around 12 points away with 16 games to achieve it. This is an opportunity to get a potential long term appointment in which gives him a few months to assess the squad during a season where there’s no longer a great deal of expectation or pressure. It’s a very good time to bring in a new manager in preparation for an improved year next season.

Verge of safety!! I would say the way we are playing and with the relentless injuries we are on the verge of a fight to stay up. And if we get any other injuries, we seem guaranteed with our medical team, that they will not return very quickly.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

But a perennial one season wonder who rarely establishes something long lasting. A firefighter. OK if that’s what you need for a while and you don’t look any further.

With several promotions to his credit that shoots down the firefighter theory.

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Verge of safety!! I would say the way we are playing and with the relentless injuries we are on the verge of a fight to stay up. And if we get any other injuries, we seem guaranteed with our medical team, that they will not return very quickly.

The requirement for safety is very rarely any more than 50 points, often much less. We’re currently 11 points short of that with 16 matches remaining. That’s minimal and we do not require a short term saviour in order to achieve this.

If we genuinely wish to push on next season, we should not prolong making a long term appointment until the summer as this will limit their understanding of the strengths and weaknesses within the squad.

Between now and the end of the season, the new manager will have an opportunity to trial formations and playing styles.

To give the club the strongest chance of pushing on, we need to retain the right players and strengthen in the right areas. The new manager will look to move on the lads that are surplus to requirements. We need to make a long term appointment before the end of the season to ensure these decisions are made correctly with a full understanding from the new manager.

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

He’s done both; short term rescue from relegation and short term promotion.

A short term promotion to the PL would be perfect. We all know we will not survive but to avail of the parachute payments would help out for any further assaults and put us on a level playing field as some others.

2 minutes ago, Fammyfan said:

The requirement for safety is very rarely any more than 50 points, often much less. We’re currently 11 points short of that with 16 matches remaining. That’s minimal and we do not require a short term saviour in order to achieve this.

If we genuinely wish to push on next season, we should not prolong making a long term appointment until the summer as this will limit their understanding of the strengths and weaknesses within the squad.

Between now and the end of the season, the new manager will have an opportunity to trial formations and playing styles.

To give the club the strongest chance of pushing on, we need to retain the correct players and strengthen in the right areas. The new manager will look to move on the lads that are surplus to requirements. We need to make a long term appointment before the end of the season to these decisions to be made correctly with a full understanding from the new manager.

We don't shoot or create chances therefore cannot score enough goals. Our defending is appaling as is our team shape and moral. Our defence have conceded 8 goals in the last 2 games and looks like conceding each time it is attacked.

Please tell me how you think we will pick up 11 points. We don't have time for a new manager to trial formations and playing styles. We certainly wont be afforded that luxury in the midst of a relegation battle.

We need someone like Pearson to come in sort the mess out and in doing so earn a longer contract or a decent cheque for keeping us in this division.

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

We don't shoot or create chances therefore cannot score enough goals. Our defending is appaling as is our team shape and moral. Our defence have conceded 8 goals in the last 2 games and looks like conceding each time it is attacked.

Please tell me how you think we will pick up 11 points. We don't have time for a new manager to trial formations and playing styles. We certainly wont be afforded that luxury in the midst of a relegation battle.

We need someone like Pearson to come in sort the mess out and in doing so earn a longer contract or a decent cheque for keeping us in this division.

Indeed it is.  Easy to look at a picture on tv, see two banks of 4, or a 5 and a 3, or whatever.

But it’s so much more than that, it’s who’s marking, who’s tracking, who’s engaging the man on the ball, how far are the gaps between the lines, has the player on the ball got his head-up, etc, etc.  Watford was a classic example of having men behind the ball but they had multiple overloads that they exploited.  We were a shambles.

10 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

That can be made with 4 wins, 12 defeats.
3 wins, 2 draws, 11 defeats

2 wins, 5 draws, 9 defeats

These are not difficult targets. Particularly when we still have to play against 8 out of the 10 teams below us.

I don’t think the players have lost confidence in their own ability. Personally I think a big problem is that we’ve often played with a 3 man midfield that gets overran. Make that a 4/5 man midfield and there will be a lot less pressure on the defence. Change that and we’ll be better than most teams in this devision.

Though, I would see Pearson as a great appointment as he realistically could be here beyond the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

I would love to see this.  Maybe a short term agreement  till the end of the season with the option to make it a longer term appointment if SL and NP can agree a way forward.  There's clearly got to be a major reorganisation and we are an attractive proposition with the new training facility.  NP was on Radio 4 recently talking about the importance of appreciating people for who they are  in the workplace which I found amazing given his reputation.   

I like the man -  he clearly has a very low bs tolerance and I think that could be exactly what we want when reorganising the club in the summer.

1 hour ago, Fammyfan said:

That can be made with 4 wins, 12 defeats.
3 wins, 2 draws, 11 defeats

2 wins, 5 draws, 9 defeats

These are not difficult targets. Particularly when we still have to play against 8 out of the 10 teams below us.

I don’t think the players have lost confidence in their own ability. Personally I think a big problem is that we’ve often played with a 3 man midfield that gets overran. Make that a 4/5 man midfield and there will be a lot less pressure on the defence. Change that and we’ll be better than most teams in this devision.

Though, I would see Pearson as a great appointment as he realistically could be here beyond the end of the season.

The other week v Watford we played each of 3, 4, and 5 in midfield at different points in the game, and as I’ve said in other posts in made eff all difference.  It’s not numbers that make the difference, just like one up-top isn’t less attacking than two or three....it’s all about how you play the system.  With 5 we still chased shadows because we were poorly set up, didn’t mark, didn’t press, etc.

2 hours ago, Fammyfan said:

To give the club the strongest chance of pushing on, we need to retain the right players and strengthen in the right areas. The new manager will look to move on the lads that are surplus to requirements. We need to make a long term appointment before the end of the season to ensure these decisions are made correctly with a full understanding from the new manager.

I agree with all of what you say. My post was simply over the issue of being on the verge of safety. I cannot agree with that due to the way the team is playing and with the number of injuries. Looking at this month I cannot see us getting a point unless Barnsley are off their game tomorrow. And March opens with Bournemouth. I cannot see where we will pick up a win. But yes we need the new appointment quickly for all the reasons you have stated.

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The other week v Watford we played each of 3, 4, and 5 in midfield at different points in the game, and as I’ve said in other posts in made eff all difference.  It’s not numbers that make the difference, just like one up-top isn’t less attacking than two or three....it’s all about how you play the system.  With 5 we still chased shadows because we were poorly set up, didn’t mark, didn’t press, etc.

Zero communication or organisation between themselves on the pitch

Pitiful

18 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Really?  Don't understand how you can be so relaxed about it. Suspect many Hull City fans were just as complacent this time last season!

We look totally shot of any confidence and unless SL/Ashton quickly get a new man in we are in trouble. Cannot see Simpson & Downing (who both need to go in my opinion) inspiring a turnaround. Lose against Barnsley, then 2 away games against top 6 contenders and we could be on the verge of the bottom 3 already.

Dead right .

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree that it’s also about things like pressing and marking but this can be implemented more effectively with say a 4-5-1 formation. If this was the setup and the primary tactic worked on during the training leading up to the match, the marking would be far more effective and most likely the pressing too. It’s also important to use actual midfielders in this system rather than dropping back semenyo/wells as we have been.

On 19/02/2021 at 08:54, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think you're mistaken if you feel the average fan longs to see extended passages of passing.

Now that's boring.

Some may some will not. I wouldn't generalise. Some fans may also not want to see extended passages of play where one team consistently concedes possession for weeks and months playing balls forward into areas of maximum opportunity and a quest for set plays lowering rolling ball time - Cardiff City had the ball in play for a shorter time, shorter than anybody in not only the league but all of the UK.

I could make points about progressive football but won't. The above is aiming low. 

On 19/02/2021 at 00:17, RedNachos said:

A lot of the complaints on here I see is about footballing style and entertainment, don't understand how the same people want Warnock and Mcarthy

The difference is that our football is even more dire than what Warnock or McCarthy deliver, and we get no points.

At least Warnock and McCarthy's lump-it football delivers points. And given the way we're tumbling down the table, we need points.

15 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

I agree with all of what you say. My post was simply over the issue of being on the verge of safety. I cannot agree with that due to the way the team is playing and with the number of injuries. Looking at this month I cannot see us getting a point unless Barnsley are off their game tomorrow. And March opens with Bournemouth. I cannot see where we will pick up a win. But yes we need the new appointment quickly for all the reasons you have stated.

I agree that the injuries and confidence is a concern. I think we need to go back to basics, I genuinely think that going for say a 4-5-1 (with actual midfielders) would see our midfield have some more control over the game. With this, we should be better than most teams. Although we may be lacking in attack, we should be picking up at least a point in most games, each one will be a step closer to safety.

1 minute ago, Fammyfan said:

I agree that the injuries and confidence is a concern. I think we need to go back to basics, I genuinely think that going for say a 4-5-1 (with actual midfielders) would see our midfield have some more control over the game. With this, we should be better than most teams. Although we may be lacking in attack, we should be picking up at least a point in most games, each one will be a step closer to safety.

I really hope you are right and I am wrong which does occur quite regularly.

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I really hope you are right and I am wrong which does occur quite regularly.

You’re right to have concerns, another 3/4 losses and I’ll probably be the same. We’ve now got Simpson and Downing in charge who are good coaches. I hope they don’t opt for the 3 man midfield, as a change in system could rejuvenate the team and we could have a change in fortunes. We’re capable of picking up something today, though it is a bad time to have Barnsley, who impressed many against Chelsea recently and have had a couple of recent league wins.

Archived