IGNORED

What Three Questions?

Silvio Dante

As most of us know, a part of interviewing is not just the employer interviewing the candidate, but also the candidate interviewing the employer. This will become more pertinent for us the higher calibre of candidate we want - for example Ben Garner would pretty much take any job, but Pep Guardiola would have lots of questions.

So, with that in mind, as a candidate - what three questions would you ask - and as importantly, what answers would be acceptable?

Heres mine:

1. What control will I have over transfers?

A: A large amount. The board reserve the right to veto any signing for financial or medical reasons, but not on football opinion. Players not be brought in over your head, except for the U23s

2. Who will I report to?

A: Jon Lansdown and the board. You are not a subordinate of Mark, but are expected to work with him on infrastructure matters

3. Why do you have so many injuries?

A: We don’t know. We are currently conducting a full review including the medical staff, the training of the prior regime and if we have recruited players with underlying issues. Actions will be taken following this review, but it will not be completed before this selection process is complete.

Over to you.

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As most of us know, a part of interviewing is not just the employer interviewing the candidate, but also the candidate interviewing the employer. This will become more pertinent for us the higher calibre of candidate we want - for example Ben Garner would pretty much take any job, but Pep Guardiola would have lots of questions.

So, with that in mind, as a candidate - what three questions would you ask - and as importantly, what answers would be acceptable?

Heres mine:

A: A large amount. The board reserve the right to veto any signing for financial or medical reasons, but not on football opinion. Players not be brought in over your head, except for the U23s

2. Who will I report to?

A: Jon Lansdown and the board. You are not a subordinate of Mark, but are expected to work with him on infrastructure matters

A: We don’t know. We are currently conducting a full review including the medical staff, the training of the prior regime and if we have recruited players with underlying issues. Actions will be taken following this review, but it will not be completed before this selection process is complete.

Over to you.

None, Mark has developed a proven world class analytics and scouting database, he has 30 years experience in the football industry  , he will provide you with a non stop conveyor belt of talent.  All you have to do is coach and mould them into a successful team . Easy.

2. Who will I report to?

Jon , if you can find him - he's going to spend his winters in Bermuda and will back in the summer for the cricket so if you see him, grab him. you may ask Mark for advice, he has all the power but no responsibility. Shit happens it's down to you.

3. Why do you have so many injuries?

We buy players in pre-injured.  Saves time.

8 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Re transfers: I’d like to know the exact scouting set up, the process, how they are identified, and who actually decides which players we will target.

that is a part of question one.

That’s true, but I didn’t want to give too long a question! I think as a boss I’d be comfortable in having a data analytics function recommending players (as well as scouts) but would want the veto. That has to be an absolute

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’s true, but I didn’t want to give too long a question! I think as a boss I’d be comfortable in having a data analytics function recommending players (as well as scouts) but would want the veto. That has to be an absolute

I’d still want to know exactly how it worked. What “control” would I actually have?

37 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Heres mine:

2. Who will I report to?

Over to you.

All pertinent questions bud...but I get the impression, whether right or wrongly,  that it goes along the lines of...

We have a list of people we would be interested in and we also offer applications.

The ones we like, are based obviously on what they've done at other clubs.

We will then ask all the usual questions...then regardless of what's said...we tell them how we work and who/what they are responsible for, who they report to, who they work with, and who does negotiating, budget, choice of assistants etc. We tell them our way...and what's expected.

We then ask them as to whether they are willing to work within remit, will accept the guidelines and be able to deliver what's expected within those guidelines.

That for me is the very basics, and the reason why managers either turn us down or we turn them down because they won't fit into our system.

I also think it will be even harder to get someone decent... knowing in the summer their will be very little money to play with.

I'm sure someone out of a job will take it...whether they succeed is another thing.

The realities and expectations of the club, imo, are miles apart.

For it to work, a slight shift in strategy needs to happen.

But I don't think it will, because we are now seeing the fruits of labour coming from the pathway of Academy and previous loans. That will continue imo...as to whether you'll get top 6 doing it, is doubtful imo.

Mid table more likely.

Q - How many times per day will I be expected to talk to Mark Ashton? 
A - Well, Lee and Dean spoke to him many times each day, so Mark will be constantly on the phone to you, wanting to know exactly what you are doing. 

Q - Will Mark Ashton be allowed in the dressing room before the match? 
A - Yes, Mark is responsible for all footballing matters. It’s important that he shows his presence in the dressing room, to enhance his relationships with the players and to be able to fully assess you in your role. 

Q - Will I be expected to lie to the fans? 
A - Yes. We tell the fans that we are as transparent and honest as possible, but then we make sure we don’t tell them the whole truth about anything - particularly the extent of any injuries. We disguise this as ‘not wanting to give anything away to the opposition’. Most of them fall for it every time, the fools. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Q - How many times per day will I be expected to talk to Mark Ashton? 
A - Well, Lee and Dean spoke to him many times each day, so Mark will be constantly on the phone to you, wanting to know exactly what you are doing. 

Q - Will Mark Ashton be allowed in the dressing room before the match? 
A - Yes, Mark is responsible for all footballing matters. It’s important that he shows his presence in the dressing room, to enhance his relationships with the players and to be able to fully assess you in your role. 

Q - Will I be expected to lie to the fans? 
A - Yes. We tell the fans that we are as transparent and honest as possible, but then we make sure we don’t tell them the whole truth about anything - particularly the extent of any injuries. We disguise this as ‘not wanting to give anything away to the opposition’. Most of them fall for it every time, the fools. 

I expect he’ll get some kind of headset with a direct link to the mothership

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

All pertinent questions bud...but I get the impression, whether right or wrongly,  that it goes along the lines of...

We have a list of people we would be interested in and we also offer applications.

The ones we like, are based obviously on what they've done at other clubs.

We will then ask all the usual questions...then regardless of what's said...we tell them how we work and who/what they are responsible for, who they report to, who they work with, and who does negotiating, budget, choice of assistants etc. We tell them our way...and what's expected.

We then ask them as to whether they are willing to work within remit, will accept the guidelines and be able to deliver what's expected within those guidelines.

That for me is the very basics, and the reason why managers either turn us down or we turn them down because they won't fit into our system.

I also think it will be even harder to get someone decent... knowing in the summer their will be very little money to play with.

I'm sure someone out of a job will take it...whether they succeed is another thing.

The realities and expectations of the club, imo, are miles apart.

For it to work, a slight shift in strategy needs to happen.

But I don't think it will, because we are now seeing the fruits of labour coming from the pathway of Academy and previous loans. That will continue imo...as to whether you'll get top 6 doing it, is doubtful imo.

Mid table more likely.

And I think you’ve hit on the classic problem here - any manager worth his salt will ask the three questions I raise (or a variant thereof), and won’t want to do the job without the right answers. We’ve all seen the feedback from the summer where Cook didn’t like us and we didn’t like him, and it probably comes down to that we wanted to impose a structure, and he wanted some authority.

I think this appointment is huge for SL.  He needs to decide whether he wants to roll the dice for success, or as you say, take mid table within the confines that we demand.

Very Interesting times.

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

We’ve all seen the feedback from the summer where Cook didn’t like us and we didn’t like him, and it probably comes down to that we wanted to impose a structure, and he wanted some authority.

I think this appointment is huge for SL.  He needs to decide whether he wants to roll the dice for success, or as you say, take mid table within the confines that we demand.

Very Interesting times.

At senior level in business it doesn't matter how good someone's track record looks on paper, if the chemistry isn't there they won't get hired.

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

And I think you’ve hit on the classic problem here - any manager worth his salt will ask the three questions I raise (or a variant thereof), and won’t want to do the job without the right answers. We’ve all seen the feedback from the summer where Cook didn’t like us and we didn’t like him, and it probably comes down to that we wanted to impose a structure, and he wanted some authority.

Very Interesting times.

Without changing the strategy...it's mid table obscurity imo.

Like we say ..it's all to do with working within the confines.

Imo...they'll be expected to keep us up, then next season use players back from injury, keep blooding youngsters, we will sell some, and maybe just a couple in.

They'll be told we want top 6...with the above remit a very slim chance.

You'd need a fully fit squad for the majority of the season, with what we have, and them playing consistently to the best of their ability all season to make top 6.

I think the fans would be more happy if we actually tried to play attractive, entertaining football, than have expectations of top 6.

It feels like we've gone backwards, and that under a new coach could take many more seasons to get back to some resemblance of having a chance at it.

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Very Interesting times.

Paul Cook definitely isn't a Bristol City manager, not the right fit at all culturally with or without Ashton.

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

At senior level in business it doesn't matter how good someone's track record looks on paper, if the chemistry isn't there they won't get hired.

“Chemistry”?? What’s this. 
It’s all about the right DNA, the right Fit and being a good human these days. 
Chemistry doesn’t come into it ?

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think the fans would be more happy if we actually tried to play attractive, entertaining football, than have expectations of top 6.

This. 100%.

I was more critical of Holden than most at an earlier stage, but my consistent was that it was the style of football that would get him sacked, not the results. Watching City under Dean became a chore as we stacked men behind the ball and tried to nick a goal, irrespective of opposition. It’s odd, when by all accounts he’s an absolute football nut, but then produced football which indicated not only he didn’t like the game, but actively hated it.

So, much when Pulis left, the next manager has to want to play football to repair the damage caused.

1. Does it matter if my surname is Johnson?

2. Does it matter that I've been best friends with Mark Ashton since we were at school together?

3. Do you think it would be a good idea to join OTIB fans to guage fans' feedback? 

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

None, Mark has developed a proven world class analytics and scouting database, he has 30 years experience in the football industry  , he will provide you with a non stop conveyor belt of talent.  All you have to do is coach and mould them into a successful team . Easy.

2. Who will I report to?

Jon , if you can find him - he's going to spend his winters in Bermuda and will back in the summer for the cricket so if you see him, grab him. you may ask Mark for advice, he has all the power but no responsibility. Shit happens it's down to you.

3. Why do you have so many injuries?

We buy players in pre-injured.  Saves time.

Post of the month award! ?

Archived