IGNORED

Team for Barnsley Saturday

sglosbcfc

I'd go 3-5-2

Bentley

Mariappa Kalas Moore

Hunt Vyner Lansbury Bakinson Sessegnon

Diedhou Wells

I'd give it 45 mins, if the wing backs aren't getting forward enough and generally the formation is not working then I'd take off Mariappa or Moore and go to a flat back four. I'd get Semenyo and Paterson on taking off one of the central midfielders and play 4-4-2.

3 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I'd go 3-5-2

Bentley

Mariappa Kalas Moore

Diedhou Wells

I'd give it 45 mins, if the wing backs aren't getting forward enough and generally the formation is not working then I'd take off Mariappa or Moore and go to a flat back four. I'd get Semenyo and Paterson on taking off one of the central midfielders and play 4-4-2.

I don’t want diedhiou anywhere near our starting 11 tomorrow 

I have no idea what I expect the team to be or what I would do... So maybe just go for it

Bentley

Mariappa         Kalas         Vyner

Hunt                                                              Semenyo

Bakinson

Nagy                Massengo

Palmer

Wells

Semenyo left wing back because why not, none of our other players can defend so at least he offers a threat... Midfield diamond full of running and a potential 'x factor' in Palmer playing as close to Wells as possible. This ony works if Nagy, Massengo, Hunt and Semenyo get beyond Palmer and give him options though. Bakinson key to get the ball off the back 3 and distribute so we don't just go long.

This  team will never see the light of day and probably for good reason, but we might get more than 2 shots on target...

Edit- Can also go to 4 at the back but would have Vyner at Left Back over Hunt and Mariappa with Semenyo right and Masengo Left as would keep Palmer Central

I want us to be solid at the back, unfortunately I don't think Moore inspires any confidence in me regarding the mistakes and wayward passing.  As Gilmartin is co presenting on Saturday for Robin's TV, I think I'll save my £10 this week. Dares only so many 'final turds' and arse licking of dire performances that I can take. Unless we appoint a new head man by then.

14 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I'd go 3-5-2

Bentley

Mariappa Kalas Moore

Diedhou Wells

Is this your application for the job? Bit thin isn’t it? What about moments of maximum opportunity and transitions?

Bentley 

vyner.          Mariappa.    Kalas.     Hunt 

Nagy      Paterson.   Massengo 

Palmer    

Semenyo   Diedhiou 

Something like that . Only picked Diedhiou above Wells as Diedhiou holds the ball up better (just). Whatever the side is let’s just have some shots 

Not sure of my exact XI but:

1. I want Nagy in the middle. Barnsley will press us and I want his energy on the pitch. 

2. For the same reason I'd rest Palmer. They'll close him down very quickly and imo he's better when he has space and an extra second to pick a pass. With a man on he often gets his pocket picked.

This is what we had last time. Obviously Martin, Rowe, Weimann, and Mawson need replacing. I'd do Semenyo for Martin, Nagy for Weimann, Kalas obviously for Mawson. Switch Bentley back in.

Then the LB/LM problem. Towler back in maybe? Young legs, energy, might be suited to the game.

Other than that I guess I'd be happy to go with the same. It's a tricky one.

Screenshot_20210219-074640.png

28 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

I have no idea what I expect the team to be or what I would do... So maybe just go for it

Bentley

Mariappa         Kalas         Vyner

Hunt                                                              Semenyo

Bakinson

Nagy                Massengo

Palmer

Wells

Semenyo left wing back because why not, none of our other players can defend so at least he offers a threat... Midfield diamond full of running and a potential 'x factor' in Palmer playing as close to Wells as possible. This ony works if Nagy, Massengo, Hunt and Semenyo get beyond Palmer and give him options though. Bakinson key to get the ball off the back 3 and distribute so we don't just go long.

This  team will never see the light of day and probably for good reason, but we might get more than 2 shots on target...

Edit- Can also go to 4 at the back but would have Vyner at Left Back over Hunt and Mariappa with Semenyo right and Masengo Left as would keep Palmer Central

The issue for me is height. Other than Vyner and Bakinson I'm not sure any others are over 6ft.  Bearing in mind our weakness from set pieces, I think we'd just be setting ourselves up for more problems.

I'd go:-

Bentley

Hunt - Vyner - Kalas -  Towler 

Nagy - Bakinson

Paterson  -  Lansbury - Semenyo 

Famara

I think with Kalas next to Towler gives him someone to guide and talk to him, which he didn't get with Taylor Moore.

I would go with 4-5-1. This is one we must not lose so considering how well Barnsley are doing now, a draw would be a good result.

Bentley

Mariappa Moore Kalas Sessegnon

Hunt Nagy Vyner Bakinson Semenyo

Wells

I'd prefer not to have Hunt wide right but he does get a cross or two in per game. The alternatives of Paterson or Palmer are much too weak defensively.

Semenyo has the pace to join up with Wells in breakaway attacks. I'm also not convinced about Wells up front but Diedhiou has been so poor lately.

PS. Forgot all about Massengo so perhaps play him instead of Hunt.

4-2-3-1

Bentley 

Hunt Vyner Kalas Towler 

Bakinson Nagy 

Edwards Paterson Semenyo 

Wells

Square pegs in square holes. 

I'd play this, with some strict instructions. I'd play a fairly high line and try and keep a relatively short distance front to back. Compact.

I'd want lots of work ethic and direct running from the 3 behind Wells and expect to have to change it up as they tire. Wells I am no fan of but it appears that being up front on his own suits him, and we a short of other options. 

Nagy and Kalas would be told to cover Towler and talk him though the game. 

There's probably a good reason why I'm not a football manager. 

52 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Or Lansbury!

Bentley

Sessignon Kalas Moore Mariappa

Semenyo Nagy Bakinson Massengo Palmer

Wells

I think we may have signed Angela Lansbury by mistake.

2 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

4-2-3-1

Bentley 

Hunt Vyner Kalas Towler 

Bakinson Nagy 

Edwards Paterson Semenyo 

Wells

Square pegs in square holes. 

I'd play this, with some strict instructions. I'd play a fairly high line and try and keep a relatively short distance front to back. Compact.

I'd want lots of work ethic and direct running from the 3 behind Wells and expect to have to change it up as they tire. Wells I am no fan of but it appears that being up front on his own suits him, and we a short of other options. 

Nagy and Kalas would be told to cover Towler and talk him though the game. 

There's probably a good reason why I'm not a football manager. 

ark at eee look

I just want a team to turn up and give a performance play for the shirt and the club. At this moment all I want is to able to say that they played well and not have to watch the awful football we have been witnessed recently. So who pulls that shirt on on Saturday give the fans something please 

It has to be 4231 for me, it's more solid without being 5 at the back and too defensive.

Bentley (goes without saying)

Back four:

Hunt Vyner Kalas Sessegnon

Sessegnon has played left back before, and I;m not sure I trust Hunt there, but if hes not ready to start then:

Vyner Moore Kalas Hunt

Midfield:

Bakinson and Nagy

Should provide protection to the back four and energy, whilst both like to get on the ball and pass forwards

Attacking midfield:

Palmer Paterson Semenyo 

Each of these can play their own attacking role without having to worry about protecting the defence

Wells up top on his own - where he's played well before joining us

I don't want to see Fammy starting (looks uninterested since end of Jan transfer Window) and certainly not that total waste of money signing Lansbury.

Sam Bell ought to be given some serious game time, not just on for the last 5 mins.

However given the team selection and tactics are going to be set by Simpson & Downing, I have no faith in us not losing again anyway!

I'd go with

Bentley 

Sessengon Vyner Kalas Hunt

Palmer Nagy Lansbury Bakinson Paterson

Semenyo 

I wouldn't have Diedhiou starting. Not doing enough.

Hunt filling in at LB.

Has to be a back four as we're too vulnerable without a proper left back/ left wing back.

Possibly Wells instead of Semenyo but I've picked Semenyo as he's more of a mobile threat.

If Williams is fit (despite Northern Streaky's tactical ineptness) he plays instead of Paterson with Nagy moved out wide.

I'd try one of these set-ups.

OPTION 1:

Bentley; Hunt, Mariappa,Kalas, Vyner*; Semenyo, Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo; Paterson/Palmer; Wells

OPTION 2:

Bentley; Hunt, Mariappa,Kalas, Vyner*; Nagy, Bakinson, Massengo; Semenyo,Wells, Paterson/Palmer.

*still not tested as LB,right?

Archived