IGNORED

Gary Johnson

bs3

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Best City manager in my lifetime, mid table League One almost to the Prem, never finished below 10th in the Championship. What's not to love about that idea for a few months.

Because you should never go back plus it didn't end well... Can this club come away from the Johnson loving for once!! We need to move on and start getting people in that can get us to the next level and that starts now.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Wouldn’t it be special though if the man who shed a tear when saying his farewells, was brought in, made the playoffs and achieved the promotion that eluded him 13 years ago. That would be gert gert lush.

....that would be beyond gert gert lush...and a fairly unlikely plot for a Hollywood movie!

1 hour ago, The dastardly red said:

Could someone give me the full rundown on what happened between you and Gary Robbo? Have seen loads mentioned about it but not full story. Did you row with him? I know you don't rate him but what happened? Genuine question 

I’ve forgotten.

1 hour ago, The dastardly red said:

Could someone give me the full rundown on what happened between you and Gary Robbo? Have seen loads mentioned about it but not full story. Did you row with him? I know you don't rate him but what happened? Genuine question 

They met, RR was his normal obnoxious self, GJ told him to do one. RR doesn't like GJ now, and has referred to him as a conference manager for many years now.

17 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Analysis surely?

Put my Mrs in charge of recruitment, she'll buy any old shit! 

That's partly why we're in the position we are in already :whistle:

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

Who would play Gary Johnson in the movie? Got to be Ray Winstone, no?!

Now there’s an idea for a thread!

Still think of Trading Places when I go back to LJ’s appointment.

Don Ameche - SL

Ralph Bellamy - MA

Dan Akroyd - Cotts

Eddie Murphy - LJ

Jamie Lee Curtis - herself

46 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Second most successful since WW2?

I know you are referring to 6th place in 2008 but the finishing place in a league does not qualify GJ as second best since war.

AD, Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan, Steve Cotterill. Could also include Beasley and Ford.

Quality football that entertained the fans even the if only one got us to the Top League.

PS. Some of you young ones should have been around in 1982-83. Lousy league (4) but those of us who stuck with City, saw effort and guts by every member of the squad.

We saw that with Gary Johnson’s teams until the end - they were certainly not the most gifted of players in the playoff season. I put GJ as my favourite manager i think since i started watching in the 80s. Never had so much fun at away games etc during that season. Loved the bloke 

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

You clearly aren't very old. Got us out of L1, but then crap football, dreadful signings, zero youth policy, scouting a joke...

Youth wasn't a priority under Johnson so unfair to criticise him for that. 

The football in the L1 title season and that first season in the Championship was great at times. Other times it was functional and attritional but we won games and got to the playoffs. No manager has achieved that since, and he did it on a relatively small budget.

Scouting a joke? Marvin Elliot for peanuts, Basso on a free, McCombe from Lincoln, David Noble for next to nothing.. etc etc. In terms of value for money signings I can't think of many better than those 4 in recentish history.

Also the best atmosphere and united fanbase in those successful seasons that I can remember.

Deserves more respect than that. 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Second most successful since WW2?

I know you are referring to 6th place in 2008 but the finishing place in a league does not qualify GJ as second best since war.

AD, Terry Cooper, Joe Jordan, Steve Cotterill. Could also include Beasley and Ford.

Quality football that entertained the fans even the if only one got us to the Top League.

PS. Some of you young ones should have been around in 1982-83. Lousy league (4) but those of us who stuck with City, saw effort and guts by every member of the squad.

I was around well before 1982 thanks

7 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Didn’t he ultimately get sacked for gross misconduct? Dressing room incident? Even in football I’d be surprised if someone came back from that. 

According to the club his departure was ‘by mutual consent’ but in reality he was sacked after a very ugly brawl in the changing  room at Argyle between him and a player who he had grievously insulted. Several players had to man handle him out of the room.

The next day senior players went to SL refusing to play for him again.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

According to the club his departure was ‘by mutual consent’ but in reality he was sacked after a very ugly brawl in the changing  room at Argyle between him and a player who he had grievously insulted. Several players had to man handle him out of the room.

That’s the way I heard it..... in normal employment you’d never come back from that. 
Normal employment and football are two different worlds though! 
Personally I wouldn’t go back. If we want a stop-gap until summer we might as well see how Simpson and Downing do for a few weeks. A couple of quick wins and we’re safe. We can always change them if it doesn’t work. 

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sat next to Louis Carey in hospitality a couple of years back, he gave me the whole story of the Plymouth incident.

Carnage!

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

That’s the way I heard it..... in normal employment you’d never come back from that. 
Normal employment and football are two different worlds though! 
Personally I wouldn’t go back. If we want a stop-gap until summer we might as well see how Simpson and Downing do for a few weeks. A couple of quick wins and we’re safe. We can always change them if it doesn’t work. 

I know it’s true because my son was good mates with one of Citys first teamers who related what happened that night.

The player reckoned he’ll never ever forget it.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I know it’s true because my son was good mates with one of Citys first teamers who related what happened that night.

The player reckoned he’ll never ever forget it.

Well this thread has to be even more nonsensical that it sounded then. He’s never coming back. (Famous last words!).

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Gary found his ceiling with us, and has never managed any higher. Has spent most of his time in the lower leagues. 

Absolutely laughable suggestion.

Who’d happily take GJ’s ceiling with us just now?

Archived