Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Questions of character if Saturday better..?


Recommended Posts

I like the technical side of the game. However right now we can see the attitude has been questionable, certainly inconsistent post Millwall away.

If on Saturday we suddenly see our players hungry, hunting in packs, charging down opposition passes, quicker in possession- above all with intent- will this raise serious questions about the attitude?

Post a nadir at Norwich, I'd say the only games in which we put in more of a shift were Millwall in the Cup, Brentford away and Sheffield United, not capitulating with 10 basically.

I cannot help but wonder whether they or some of them play up to the cameras, wider coverage. Or even forgetting the TV, I wonder if some just put in a shift when they feel up for it- some might read many. It's been inconsistent I'm this respect for a while longer than mid January tbh.

The result and technical side are one thing, but the attitude tomorrow, first game post Holden. Let's see how this looks!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think you can ever really say for sure. It could raise some very interesting questions. 

 

Had a long discussion with the mrs who isnt a football fan where I found myself defending the players as she called them out for not even trying. 

 

I'm not going to say I'm completely on board with that, serious questions need to be asked regardless of Saturdays effort or lack thereof. However if everyone knew it wasnt working, looking to Holden for the answers but could see he had nothing left to offer, it's only human to begin going through the motions.

 

Also on a similar note I think whoever comes in should probably be looking towards giving Bentley the captains armband, the only player that really seemed from the outside to be properly distressed by the situation, certainly in the Watford match.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I like the technical side of the game. However right now we can see the attitude has been questionable, certainly inconsistent post Millwall away.

If on Saturday we suddenly see our players hungry, hunting in packs, charging down opposition passes, quicker in possession- above all with intent- will this raise serious questions about the attitude?

Post a nadir at Norwich, I'd say the only games in which we put in more of a shift were Millwall in the Cup, Brentford away and Sheffield United, not capitulating with 10 basically.

I cannot help but wonder whether they or some of them play up to the cameras, wider coverage. Or even forgetting the TV, I wonder if some just put in a shift when they feel up for it- some might read many. It's been inconsistent I'm this respect for a while longer than mid January tbh.

The result and technical side are one thing, but the attitude tomorrow, first game post Holden. Let's see how this looks!

As a fan you don’t know if it’s the instructions that have changed or the mentality of the players. Either way we massively could do with a bounce to get points on the board. I would genuinely love a low key draw right now. Two would be even better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kempson said:

I dont think you can ever really say for sure. It could raise some very interesting questions. 

 

Had a long discussion with the mrs who isnt a football fan where I found myself defending the players as she called them out for not even trying. 

 

I'm not going to say I'm completely on board with that, serious questions need to be asked regardless of Saturdays effort or lack thereof. However if everyone knew it wasnt working, looking to Holden for the answers but could see he had nothing left to offer, it's only human to begin going through the motions.

 

Also on a similar note I think whoever comes in should probably be looking towards giving Bentley the captains armband, the only player that really seemed from the outside to be properly distressed by the situation, certainly in the Watford match.

Sorry you lost me at ‘discussion with the missus’...

Wahey! Only joking, women are a wonderful source of wisdom, as is OTIB...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


“We’re all conscious we haven’t done enough going forward we haven’t threatened the opposition goal enough. We need to play with more positivity, aggression and intensity to try and get more end product. That’s the aim and the players are determined to do that.” 

 

      This is part of the pre match interview with Downing , begs the question as to where this has been most of the season, like everyone we all want to see an improvement on what's been dished up recently but a massive difference and quite rightly the players attitude towards their work should be challenged.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d rather be questioning attitudes with 3 points in the bag than seeing them put in another nothing performance. Players down tools, it’s a managers job to not let that happen (not saying that’s right or fair). We’ll see how Simpson and Downing fare, and more importantly how the next manager fares. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of this is down to the players and can you really blame them?

It looks like as a team they had lost faith in what DH was trying to do, devoid of ideas to put into practical play seems to have taken a toll on the team.

Then we have a group of players out of contract, not being offered anything but seeing around them an uninterested player being offered a top deal, being told there may be no money in the pot so we can't offer a deal and then signing players after that.

A lot of dire tactics and mixed messages coming through, not surprised they gave up and stopped playing for the head coach/club.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, M.D said:

I think a lot of this is down to the players and can you really blame them?

It looks like as a team they had lost faith in what DH was trying to do, devoid of ideas to put into practical play seems to have taken a toll on the team.

Then we have a group of players out of contract, not being offered anything but seeing around them an uninterested player being offered a top deal, being told there may be no money in the pot so we can't offer a deal and then signing players after that.

A lot of dire tactics and mixed messages coming through, not surprised they gave up and stopped playing for the head coach/club.

Can you really blame them’

 

Wow

 

They are (allegedly) Professional Footballers

Paid eye watering wages

Character or professionalism missing it appears 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:


“We’re all conscious we haven’t done enough going forward we haven’t threatened the opposition goal enough. We need to play with more positivity, aggression and intensity to try and get more end product. That’s the aim and the players are determined to do that.” 

 

      This is part of the pre match interview with Downing , begs the question as to where this has been most of the season, like everyone we all want to see an improvement on what's been dished up recently but a massive difference and quite rightly the players attitude towards their work should be challenged.

Yep, Downing said that we should get up the pitch more and get in more crosses and shots.  I have to say with groundbreaking ideas like that, he must be a shoe-in for the permanent Head Coach position.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Can you really blame them’

 

Wow

 

They are (allegedly) Professional Footballers

Paid eye watering wages

Character or professionalism missing it appears 

 

 

I don't agree at all, in any form of work life, even in football, good man management and keeping people happy and focused will bring results.

Both the head coach and the club have not  got the best out of these individuals 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, markcarter said:

Yep, Downing said that we should get up the pitch more and get in more crosses and shots.  I have to say with groundbreaking ideas like that, he must be a shoe-in for the permanent Head Coach position.

Easier said than done, and getting up the pitch leaves us vulnerable to counter-attack. Still, you never know, might be 1 or 3 points closer to safety tomorrow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, M.D said:

I don't agree at all, in any form of work life, even in football, good man management and keeping people happy and focused will bring results.

Both the head coach and the club have not  got the best out of these individuals 

So no responsibility for them then ?

In my professional life , and it was all about teamwork , and for anyone not pulling their weight ,

managers were the least of their worries

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

So no responsibility for them then ?

In my professional life , and it was all about teamwork , and for anyone not pulling their weight ,

managers were the least of their worries

Of course there is responsibility, no doubt. My point is yes, the players need to take their share of the blame but we should look far more closely as to why they may feel this way and why they are underperforming.

The club have acted and sacked DH, will we move forward as a club?

Im always hopeful but...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If they suddenly do start putting it in, it'll be good in one way as it will mean that performances and results in due course should improve. Maybe instantly.

It'll also be disappointing as it would show or would show a genuine prospect that they weren't always giving it at their all.

The possibility of inconsistency in attitude, is disappointing.

In my first season, it was the Benny one. Indeed my first game was his first home game. I didn't see any of Ward's sadly.

Were we great? No. Were we lucky? Not especially. WBA away and all that stoppage time, that uber late pen v Sunderland, ref v Birmingham in 1999? Was it Mike Dean?

Did we generally give our all after that first disastrous month, 5 games? I'd say yeah, we did or more often than not. After that disastrous first 5 games, I don't recall 6-0 thrashings, or one shot on target etc. With a markedly poorer squad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If they suddenly do start putting it in, it'll be good in one way as it will mean that performances and results in due course should improve. Maybe instantly.

It'll also be disappointing as it would show or would show a genuine prospect that they weren't always giving it at their all.

The possibility of inconsistency in attitude, is disappointing.

In my first season, it was the Benny one. Indeed my first game was his first home game. I didn't see any of Ward's sadly.

Were we great? No. Were we lucky? Not especially. WBA away and all that stoppage time, that uber late pen v Sunderland, ref v Birmingham in 1999? Was it Mike Dean?

Did we generally give our all after that first disastrous month, 5 games? I'd say yeah, we did or more often than not. After that disastrous first 5 games, I don't recall 6-0 thrashings, or one shot on target etc. With a markedly poorer squad.

This is where man management comes in, a top head coach/manger will get them playing as a team, running through walls for him and performing better than the sum of the parts instead of lower.

Thats why you pay top dollar for a top manager/head coach

 

See Bristol Bears...

Edited by M.D
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't see anything changing tomorrow, if it doe's it proves DH lost the dressing room, if it's all the same then the players are against the whole management team, they threw DH under the bus, maybe the two 'new' coaches next?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mozo said:

Sorry you lost me at ‘discussion with the missus’...

Wahey! Only joking, women are a wonderful source of wisdom, as is OTIB...

After everything is said and done, turns out we are all ******* clueless. 

 

Wouldve got good odds on that with the bookies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...