IGNORED

Play with the shackles off

Ivorguy

59 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Who put them on in the first place?  And, what were they precisely?

Totally confused, unless, of course, it is more football management speak and means nothing

I understood it to be that, the previous manager (Holden) had us play in such a way as to not concede, by restricting forays into the opposition half by too many players. Removing the shackles probably refers to giving the team a little more licence to attack.

LJ seemed to have a similar policy of staying in the game until the 60th minute, then trying to snatch something with an inspirational substitution, such as Elliason. People remember the last parts of a game, more than the start.   Unfortunately, that option of substitution was unavailable to use this season.

Just now, YGBjammy said:

I think if you looked at every interview after a manager left "play with the shackles off" or "play with a new freedom" etc etc would feature in the vast majority of them. It's standard football BS, like "it's a s results based business"

Yawn!

Same with - “we’ve worked on fitness”, it’s an easy thing for a new gaffer to say.  It makes it look like they’ve spotted something abd have addressed something quickly.

5 hours ago, Rich said:

I understood it to be that, the previous manager (Holden) had us play in such a way as to not concede, by restricting forays into the opposition half by too many players. Removing the shackles probably refers to giving the team a little more licence to attack.

LJ seemed to have a similar policy of staying in the game until the 60th minute, then trying to snatch something with an inspirational substitution, such as Elliason. People remember the last parts of a game, more than the start.   Unfortunately, that option of substitution was unavailable to use this season.

Varied tbh. Policy at times but we made a number of fast starts too- or got early goals.

That said I do remember in 2016/17, during our misleadingly bright start to the season we didn't score a single first half goal at home until some time in November/December- didn't concede a 2nd half goal in all that time either!

Downing in his five minutes interview shown on the Club site, kept muttering about 'Hard Work " by everyone, the coaches (him and Simpson) and players, as the solution.

What a simple solution. Why didn't Holden think of that?

How totally uninspiring Downing sounded. No wonder we're a shambles compared with every side we have played in the last couple of months because it's been xxxxxxx hard work for the fans to watch!

14 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Who put them on in the first place?  And, what were they precisely?

Totally confused, unless, of course, it is more football management speak and means nothing

He actually said play with the shackles off, not that they were ever on in the first place.

That suggests they were on and he backtracked on his comment so not to be heard as dissing Holden.

I probably expect more of the same today.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Downing in his five minutes interview shown on the Club site, kept muttering about 'Hard Work " by everyone, the coaches (him and Simpson) and players, as the solution.

What a simple solution. Why didn't Holden think of that?

How totally uninspiring Downing sounded. No wonder we're a shambles compared with every side we have played in the last couple of months because it's been xxxxxxx hard work for the fans to watch!

I’m effing fed up with quotes of hard work, looking in the mirror, etc.

Give the players a convincing game plan, give them simple but coherent tactics.

As it stands we are playing like a bunch of individuals, there is no team ethic.  Against Brentford, 1st half, there was a semblance of team work, but that’s been about it in the last month.

Archived