IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview

Red Army 75

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

‘We’ve missed our support more than anyone’ Really Steve?  It would’ve been bloody toxic last few games that’s for sure! 

Yea I would not say we’ve missed out support more than anyone else, our home atmosphere is sterile, we haven’t played well at home for 3 seasons

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Am I alone in being the only one who liked and appreciated it?

He may have a shoddy record in appointing head coaches, but he comes across as well meaning and that interview has given me some confidence he might just get it right this time. 

I wasn’t expecting the interview, but I feel better now than I did before it. 

Well meaning doesn’t build a successful football club though does it.  That interview sounded like we’ll just go again with the same thing, but hope the reselt is different.

I really didn’t get any impression that he thinks his selection process or criteria is flawed, so can’t see him learning by his mistakes sadly.

Good to hear that Steve has listened to criticisms especially regarding communication. He is telling us as much as he can at this time and not raising our hopes that it will be a quick appointment. I would guess that the couple of names that weren’t available during the summer will probably have already been contacted. I’m sure that will keep the speculation going the next few days. Looks like Downing and Simpson will be in charge for a few games at least anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Two interviews in 5 days on Holden. For anyone that was in any doubt as to who hired & fired Holden. 

Exactly, still totally the decision maker.

6 minutes ago, Cider red said:

Can't win can he! Honest interview i thought. Confirms he is still the final decision maker.

It’s honest, but that doesn’t make it right.  I expect him to be honest....but he is now leaving the shortlist to MA, before getting back involved again.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Am I alone in being the only one who liked and appreciated it?

He may have a shoddy record in appointing head coaches, but he comes across as well meaning and that interview has given me some confidence he might just get it right this time. 

I wasn’t expecting the interview, but I feel better now than I did before it. 

Someone has hacked Fordy’s OTIB account!

I’m glad we’ve heard from the club, so appreciate it from that point of view.

Speed of appointment?  Looks like we are playing catch-up in assembling a list. Not imminent is it?

1 minute ago, lenred said:

‘Anyone who come in has to buy in / slot in to our culture and not destroy what we have done’. Same problem as last time then. 

I thought along similar lines myself.

2 sacked managers in 7-8 months and we've seen the same type of football with the exact same problems.  Not creating enough.

A nice stadium, training ground and Bank balance doesn't equate to a successful team. Its like putting twin exhausts and a spoiler onto a Smart car. Without a decent engine, it's still nothing special 

Good hear directly from our owner - that’s not very commonplace these days. 

The interviewer failed to ask him whether he thought an experienced manager with Championship experience would be an important factor - bit disappointed with that. Other than that SL pretty much what you’d expect to hear, sorry to lose Dean but it was necessary saying that Dean was a good person.

Added that the club will keep us informed of developments regarding the interviews. Said he was aware of the criticism last time - that was good to hear. At least our owner  is listening and that means Ashton will get to know. 

I didn’t feel that interviewer was much cop tbh. Lots of questions he had the opportunity to ask but failed to do so.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Good hear directly from our owner - that’s not very commonplace these days. 

The interviewer failed to ask him whether he thought an experienced manager with Championship experience would be an important factor - bit disappointed with that. Other than that SL pretty much what you’d expect to hear, sorry to lose Dean but it was necessary saying that Dean was a good person.

Added that the club will keep us informed of developments regarding the interviews. Said he was aware of the criticism last time - that was good to hear. At least our owner  is listening and that means Ashton will get to know. 

I didn’t feel that interviewer was much cop tbh. Lots of questions he had the opportunity to ask but failed to do so.

I get the thought, but why constrain the search?

Just now, ralphindevon said:

I’m not sure if it’s a good or bad thing that Steve is coming on here to find out how bad we’re playing. I’d done a very quick calculation when I saw this thread, hence the ‘apparently’ in case someone came and corrected my workings out ?image.thumb.png.7db9264f59577e2bb9bfc6fafc98d97f.png

RalphinDevon = SteveinGuernsey ???

Do find the part about potential managers/head coaches situations who have changed since the summer who could be added to the list. Just looking at championship and above

Lampard 

Howe - If he feels he could be ready for a job again

Jason Tindall ?

Sabri Lamouchi

Gary Monk

Philip Cocu

Slaven Bilic - Now in China

Vladimir Ivic

Tony Pulis

Neil Harris

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Yea I would not say we’ve missed out support more than anyone else, our home atmosphere is sterile, we haven’t played well at home for 3 seasons

To me, this is the reason why the next appointment is so important. The club are starting to realise they cannot survive without fans, and yet the football being served up is so boring.

We really need an appointment that plays proper "front foot" exciting and attacking football. 

13 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Fair play - two interviews in the last 5 days....spoke honestly in both.

I genuinely hope he gets the next appointment right.....ST sales will rely on it!

That’s where his main concern will be.....not the quality of the next manager/head coach.

That’s decent. Well done Steve.

Any doubts over his commitment to Bristol City firmly dispelled. Nice to see the passion he still has for the Club has not dulled, with ability to effectively ‘sell’ us to potential suitors. If only the players could have that level of resolve, grit and determination on the pitch and pride in the Club and shirt.

Fair play for holding his hand up to past mistakes. Very humble for someone who has been such a success in business.

The worry is he still has trust in Ashton. .. my heart sunk when he said about the interview process. ..any potential threat to Ashton’s empire is going to be sieved out well before getting to Steve/Jon. Also recruitment, the model is failing...seemingly just a conveyor belt of random players.

Friendly enough interview, but said nothing about the type of manager, the philosophy/style of play they're looking for etc. 

Just seemed to be "the football world thinks a lot of us". 

I'm not so sure and have little confidence our team will be able to pass the ball competently in 3 months. 

He’ll never please everybody so fair play to him for being open and honest. Hopefully that continues.

A couple of things though:

Still not playing down expectations (promotion). 

Basically said that despite Covid, there is still a very good budget should the next manager/head coach want to come in and make wholesale changes to the squad.

21 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Pretty sure that was me.

Now I know he’s a fan I’m glad I’ve never slagged him off ?

When they ditched the 1897 on the badge etc and replaced with 1894 Jon Lansdown said that it was being stated that the reason 1897 was chosen over 1894 was because the board in 1997 weren't in situ in 1994 when the centenary wasn't celebrated so used 1897 for a marketing opportunity. That's what I kept harping on about on here. So it's great when they appear to listen to the fans. Well done SL and JL.

Archived