IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview

Red Army 75

24 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Am I alone in being the only one who liked and appreciated it?

He may have a shoddy record in appointing head coaches, but he comes across as well meaning and that interview has given me some confidence he might just get it right this time. 

I wasn’t expecting the interview, but I feel better now than I did before it. 

Agreed. Fair play to him. But listening, how on earth did he think Dean Holden was the man for the job? Hope he's got better judgement next time.

Two take-aways: he clearly knows what is posted on this forum, and he clearly wants to avoid the accusation that we're all being kept in the dark. Both positives for me.

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

He may have a shoddy record in appointing head coaches, but he comes across as well meaning and that interview has given me some confidence he might just get it right this time. 

No you’re not alone Fordy - (just finished watching) and fair play @Cider red was first to speak up against the anticipated grain

I actually thought that was the best interview I’ve heard from him for a long long time

Without saying ‘We ****** up’ in those blunt words he’s taken responsibility and responsibility for getting it right going forward

I get the vibe that he’s taken his eye off the ball and let Jon play at running a football club alongside Ashton and that’s been a mistake 

I get the impression that he’s going to be a bit more hands on.

Now his track record isn’t great , but it’s better than Let son or Ashton  mess up further

i think he realises the fan base are far far from happy and it needs a big turnaround - the recent interviews a clear early sign

i think he’s rattled , stung by the criticism (They clearly know a lot of what’s been said on here and other social media) and is embarrassed.

Embarrassment is probably as big a motivator as you can get for a multi billionaire

I think , and hear compromises and a grudging change in some policies.

struggling to take issue with anything he said tbh

Too much focus or reliance in the Academy worries me but then he quantified that quite well later in the interview.

I guess Ialso have concerns how long a new appointment may take , listening to him

We should know lots about those applying already

Goid Interview Though Mr Lansdown - And fronted up - respect 

Shame your highly paid CEO and Chairman have gone into hiding 

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Friendly enough interview, but said nothing about the type of manager, the philosophy/style of play they're looking for etc. 

Just seemed to be "the football world thinks a lot of us". 

I'm not so sure and have little confidence our team will be able to pass the ball competently in 3 months. 

Good to have confidence in your product as an owner but I really don’t understand where this belief comes from. Also said that we have one of the best stadiums in the country - again we have a nice ground but it’s nowhere near the best in the country. That’s not being ungrateful, just is what it is. Almost feels like SL thinks we are something we are not and ha e reached a level we haven’t.  Now if he employs a decent manager maybe we will get there, but for now we aren’t where he thinks we are.    

Few things that stood out for me there:

- illl make sure I’m part of the final decision. Was he not part of the last one? Odd thing to clarify. 

- ‘Jo....j....Jon mark and myself were in contact for the whole game’. JL absolutely didn’t watch that game. And by the sounds of it they decided to sack him at HT. 

- ‘we always start with a blank piece of paper’. Well there’s your issue, find the model you want and then find the people that fit it. Don’t try and change it every appointment. 

Thiught it was a really good interview tbf. You could definitely tell he’s a pissed off/angry at the state we are in and seems even more determined to get this one right. I wouldn’t be surprised if we go into March without someone appointed. 

29 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Agree , I’ve openly had a pop at him but he came across well in the interview. Some comments like same old shit blah blah. That was a lot more honest . 

21 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

I thought along similar lines myself.

2 sacked managers in 7-8 months and we've seen the same type of football with the exact same problems.  Not creating enough.

A nice stadium, training ground and Bank balance doesn't equate to a successful team. Its like putting twin exhausts and a spoiler onto a Smart car. Without a decent engine, it's still nothing special 

Image result for souped up smart car

Are we really giving a first interview again to anyone we interviewed in the summer? Surely it would be a case of anyone whose situation has changed if we want to speak to them - Harris, Monk, Lampard etc, briefly contact people off our old list to see if there's anything else they'd like to discuss - Cook etc and then build your short list, or is that just me?

30 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Fair play to the man, he takes the blame. 

Looks like it won't be a quick process. I even wonder if some of these names on the list come from abroad. I got the impression that some are being considered who weren't in the summer. 

OK, he takes the blame but that is the easy part.

He needs to learn from his mistakes.  No sign of that.

Paul and Keith in 6 weeks time then!.

Good interview and pleasing to be updated. But I still get the impression SL really doesn’t have a clue what sort of manager he wants next ( except he must fit into the structure). 

The problem is, is it the structure that is actually stopping us from getting the right person for the first team manager’s position?‍♂️

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly, still totally the decision maker.

It’s honest, but that doesn’t make it right.  I expect him to be honest....but he is now leaving the shortlist to MA, before getting back involved again.

Someone has hacked Fordy’s OTIB account!

I’m glad we’ve heard from the club, so appreciate it from that point of view.

Speed of appointment?  Looks like we are playing catch-up in assembling a list. Not imminent is it?

I might be wrong , but I think he said they’d all come up with the short list before Ashton conducts the first round of interviews . 
apart from Jon who will be in the corner drawing each of the candidates  in crayon before showing it to them at the end . 

It's cute that he reckons the crowd would have been behind the team after Reading's 1st goal.

Nice interview overall though. I think he's right that few are really enjoying football this season. It is interminable, and relentless, and cold this time. Very tough for everyone involved.

Nice to hear they can speak to new people, and are reviewing applicants from the summer...although a little weird to say they've started with a blank piece of paper when they went through this process only 8 months ago. "I'll make sure I'm involved in the final stages". Yeh, he still has the final say on who comes in.

I do get the impression that steve isnt happy with the value for money hes getting from bristol city, hes footing the whole wage bill to see that lot not barely manage a shot at goal... the cost of eddie howe for example, isnt much compared to the total wage bill, but he could be the difference. I get the feeling hes got to the point that hes realised a top championship manager is needed to get out of the championship and is prepared to spend on that position now. We shall see i guess.

28 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’m not sure if it’s a good or bad thing that Steve is coming on here to find out how bad we’re playing. I’d done a very quick calculation when I saw this thread, hence the ‘apparently’ in case someone came and corrected my workings out ?image.thumb.png.7db9264f59577e2bb9bfc6fafc98d97f.png

He only listens to you Ralph ‘cause you sit in the ‘posh’ seats! 

Don’t forget to remember me when you get your seat on the Board and are sat in the Director’s Box!

Assume you’ll be flying up for matches now from Exeter Airport, so don’t forget to mention the managerial vacancy to Mr Warnock in the Executive Departure Lounge.

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

It's cute that he reckons the crowd would have been behind the team after Reading's 1st goal.

Nice interview overall though. I think he's right that few are really enjoying football this season. It is interminable, and relentless, and cold this time. Very tough for everyone involved.

Nice to hear they can speak to new people, and are reviewing applicants from the summer...although a little weird to say they've started with a blank piece of paper when they went through this process only 8 months ago. "I'll make sure I'm involved in the final stages". Yeh, he still has the final say on who comes in.

He suggested our crowds have been great. Numbers-wise yes, but man-for-man the last 3 years have been the quietest in nearly 40 years. 

11 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

No you’re not alone Fordy - (just finished watching) and fair play @Cider red was first to speak up against the anticipated grain

I actually thought that was the best interview I’ve heard from him for a long long time

Without saying ‘We ****** up’ in those blunt words he’s taken responsibility and responsibility for getting it right going forward

I get the vibe that he’s taken his eye off the ball and let Jon play at running a football club alongside Ashton and that’s been a mistake 

Now his track record isn’t great , but it’s better than Let son or Ashton  mess up further

i think he realises the fan base are far far from happy and it needs a big turnaround - the recent interviews a clear early sign

i think he’s rattled , stung by the criticism (They clearly know a lot of what’s been said on here and other social media) and is embarrassed.

Embarrassment is probably as big a motivator as you can get for a multi billionaire

Too much focus or reliance in the Academy worries me but then he quantified that quite well later in the interview.

I guess Ialso have concerns how long a new appointment may take , listening to him

I think he’s conducted the interviews because he’s knows we as a fan base just ain’t having mark Ashton . Good interview though in the main . A interview of a man in charge and a bit of leadership . 

When he talked about watching the Watford and Reading games in particular I did think 

What must he be thinking of those players

Bilkionaire or no billionaire I bet there was plenty of ‘ Twenty five grand a week ? ....., it’s a f****** joke’ and other expletives tumbling out 

And that would have just been Maggie

As for discussing events with J....Jo .... Jon And ‘Mark’ , you just know that Ashton would have been repeating

Yes this was my fear , with him ,all along Steve

Snake

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Enjoyed that.

I've always liked Lansdown. And he is admitting some mistakes. He's done so much right too.

What he says about injuries is so true. I'm so sure that had we had a bit more of a normal injury list like other side's then Holden would still be here and we'd be doing pretty well. 

Holden did have to go in the end as he could not get more from who was available, and it looked like we would never stop losing. But the problem this season more than who the manager is or anything else is the ridiculous injury list.

The new manager won't matter that much if everyone is getting long term injuries.

Good to hear it sounds like the new head coach will be able to strengthen well in the summer. 

I do agree with Lansdown that this is an attractive club for a head coach. 

Oh Jon you lick ass . Saying you’ve always liked him now you know he reads the forum ?

17 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Perhaps if he has read the comments on here and social media, he's decided to not let his CEO speak right now given it would draw even further criticism?

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I think he’s conducted the interviews because he’s knows we as a fan base just ain’t having mark Ashton . Good interview though in the main . A interview of a man in charge and a bit of leadership . 

Yes , agreed Stevie

They are clearly aware of what fans are saying

(Good And a reminder for the next dreamboat who says ‘’Doesn’t  matter what’s posted on here )

Hes part protecting Ashton and for sure will be aware of the feelings towards Ashton , and even better why 

If he now doesn’t switch on to those and drill his eyeballs into them at least , then he is a fool

Pieces such as  Fevs on recruitment may have a lot more impact than some may believe

?

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

I do get the impression that steve isnt happy with the value for money hes getting from bristol city, hes footing the whole wage bill to see that lot not barely manage a shot at goal... the cost of eddie howe for example, isnt much compared to the total wage bill, but he could be the difference. I get the feeling hes got to the point that hes realised a top championship manager is needed to get out of the championship and is prepared to spend on that position now. We shall see i guess.

He's already appointed Pat Lam and paid him the money and seen the results.  He has now to be ready to actually invest financially and almost emotionally in a proper manager who will push us into proper contention and the Premier League.   

I was struck about what he was saying about meeting people. Don't know the rules about flying in and out of Guernsey but you get the impression he wants to look in the eyes of the new person before agreeing to trust them (let alone pay them over £1milion a year).

My initial thoughts after listening to SL, 

Good to hear an honest voice rather than hearing corporate dribble from MA...

I'm still concerned though that we won't be appointing our new manager until Easter - we could remain around 14th place, but we could be 19th by then, on current form!

Archived