IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview

Red Army 75

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Perhaps you need to watch it again. I saw a different interview this time. He’s pissed off & it’s not because of our criticism . He knows as a board they’ve ****** up  

I saw it too, but the ears heard the same old shit. He's telling us there's no change in the plan that appointed Holden.

If we win the next 3 I'd panic if I were you....

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

An Ashton Gate crowd can’t do ‘toxic’ - a few murmurs of discontent is not ‘toxic’ - go to Italy to see ‘toxic’ or revisit Man City when they wanted Peter Swales out. A couple of years after that I was at Maine Road in 1996 on the day Man City were relegated - now that was ‘toxic’ - but it also hit me as to how loyal and passionate their traditional fans really were. Also, you could revisit the atmosphere within St. James’ Park when Newcastle fans wanted Pardew out - again, that was ‘toxic.’

I’m afraid in this lovely corner of the West Country, ‘toxic’ does not sit well and it doesn’t often rear its ugly head, if at all. LJ oversaw our record number of consecutive league defeats - our response? The odd disgruntled comment thrown bench-wards ... in Italy they’d have stormed the training ground ... ‘toxic’ we just don’t do ...

You are right... I've thought about this often. Only a small section of our support has sussed out the real problem. Man City or Utd fans (FC United) wouldn't put up with the treading water that SL is most relaxed and happy with. As has been proven with his choice of manager...  standing by for the next Yes Man and for City fans to accept and justify it and still pay the money to watch the struggle continue... 

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Pretty much confirmed what a few of us have said recently...that he won't be altering the system in place. Mentions academy a lot and the pathway...and our recruitment. And that they will be selling that to any potential appointment and that they have to fit in with it and agree to it, and if possible help improve it...but within the structure.

It's between a rock and a hard place.

For years we've said how useless the academy was...now it's producing good players.

But imo...they are good middle of the road Championship players. Not promotion level.

He mentions these players being sprinkled with experience.

That imo, could work after a few seasons...as long as you keep building the team and not selling the best. Otherwise it's one step forward, two back. 

As for the list...imo.. it's MA who gets the list and whittles it down,band then SL and JL join at later stages.

Imo...it's very obvious that MA pretty much runs this club now. From recruitment in both players and managerial candidates.

SL and JL may never be aware of potential players or candidates if they aren't presented to them.

They obviously very much trust his judgement.

Would you trust Ashton with that list of candidates? I'm not sure he knows what a good manager is or what it takes to get us out this league,How massive is this next appointment for us.

1 minute ago, Street red said:

Would you trust Ashton with that list of candidates? I'm not sure he knows what a good manager is or what it takes to get us out this league,How massive is this next appointment for us.

I get the impression that SL recruited MA to pretty much structure the club to how it is now.

It's his baby so to speak...financed by SL.

He will only put forward candidates that will fit with the structure he's built and that are willing to work within it. Most importantly the recruitment side of things. 

Any man in his position would not include candidates that would rock the boat so to speak. For it to work in MA's way...he has to have someone he can trust and work with.

All this revolves around working within MA's way...imho.

11 minutes ago, dREDful said:

I saw it too, but the ears heard the same old shit. He's telling us there's no change in the plan that appointed Holden.

If we win the next 3 I'd panic if I were you....

He didn’t say that exactly . Recruitment process stays the same new man allowed to bring his own players in. What I’d expect really 

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I get the impression that SL recruited MA to pretty much structure the club to how it is now.

It's his baby so to speak...financed by SL.

He will only put forward candidates that will fit with the structure he's built and that are willing to work within it. Most importantly the recruitment side of things. 

Any man in his position would not include candidates that would rock the boat so to speak. For it to work in MA's way...he has to have someone he can trust and work with.

All this revolves around working within MA's way...imho.

That's what worries me I don't want to support a club that is set up by Mark Ashton,So basically this next appointment will be someone Mark Ashton knows I'm not feeling that confident to be honest.

1 hour ago, markcarter said:

I remain unclear why it was decided that Lee Johnson having failed over 4 years, a poundshop Johnson - Dean Holden - had any chance at all.  He really really never did. It was a 10,000 - 1 shot.  It worries me that there still isn’t recognition that that was a catastrophic decision, because that means they could still repeat it and make another horrific one.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Agreed. Fair play to him. But listening, how on earth did he think Dean Holden was the man for the job? Hope he's got better judgement next time.

Two take-aways: he clearly knows what is posted on this forum, and he clearly wants to avoid the accusation that we're all being kept in the dark. Both positives for me.

Nothing personal - I could have chosen other quotes.  I think there probably was a plausible case for DH in the summer.  None of us really knows what happened in the interviews, but if DH came in and said - look, we've nearly made the playoffs in the last few seasons, we don't need to change very much, the problem is that LJ overthinks things and confuses the players, I know what he's been doing wrong and I know how to fix it - that could have been a quite a persuasive argument, perhaps giving him over the edge over someone who doesn't know the club, hasn't done enough preparation and seems to want to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

The thing I got out of that interview was that Lansdown still cares for the club. At times in the last 2 or 3 years I've thought his heart is not fully in us getting up to the Premier league and he was content being a sturdy championship club's owner. Seems not only by him coming and talking genuinely and passionately and the points he made but I have a bit more confidence in that not being true. Good on him, didn't hide away while us miserable bastards (me very much included) had a go at him. Top marks Steve. 

1 minute ago, Winston said:

So MA is trusted to put together an initial list for SL to select from.... great!

So MA will employ the old local government officer approach - give 4 names, three of which no sane person would appoint, leaving your preferred candidate as the only option available to the person making final decision.

A very poor way of making an appointment in 2021.  No professional adviser, and I wonder if they even have a properly prepared job spec (beyond not using the ‘M’ word - manager), and person spec.  If I am, hopefully, wrong perhaps they could publish the two specs along with name of professional adviser.

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Did someone say a shortlist of about 12? Well there are 13 clubs ahead of us right now....

That ain't no shortlist!! This is just going to go on for weeks again isn't it :ermm:

I thought he said that they would get a shortlist from those 12 plus maybe one or two others.

But I agree, this sort of process will drag on due to any candidate having to fit into the "structure" and "culture" of the club. Didn't do anyone any good the last time they used this process so I don't see that there will be much of a different outcome this time round.

Fishing in such a small pool will only land a small fish.

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

So MA will employ the old local government officer approach - give 4 names, three of which no sane person would appoint, leaving your preferred candidate as the only option available to the person making final decision.

A very poor way of making an appointment in 2021.  No professional adviser, and I wonder if they even have a properly prepared job spec (beyond not using the ‘M’ word - manager), and person spec.  If I am, hopefully, wrong perhaps they could publish the two specs along with name of professional adviser.

I think if MA supplies a list with Appleton and 3 no-hopers, SL will kick his arse out of the club.

I do sense he’s lost some trust, along with his son....hence SL actually gonna interview the top candidates.  I sense Jon might not be at the club much longer....not as Chairman anyway.  Think he maybe realised he’s not an owner in the making...and I think that might be why he’s put the clubs finance in a position where it’s not a hand me down.  All the other stuff, will be handed down.

Might be wide of the mark.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Do find the part about potential managers/head coaches situations who have changed since the summer who could be added to the list. Just looking at championship and above

Lampard 

Howe - If he feels he could be ready for a job again

Jason Tindall ?

Sabri Lamouchi

Gary Monk

Philip Cocu

Slaven Bilic - Now in China

Vladimir Ivic

Tony Pulis

Neil Harris

Given the situation at Wigan during the summer and the contract disagreement with Cook, I think you could add him to that list. 

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Given the situation at Wigan during the summer and the contract disagreement with Cook, I think you could add him to that list. 

Perhaps, not sure how much it really affected it (and press just hyping it up) as he was seemingly applying for jobs within a few months rather than being sought out for jobs

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The only positive for me was (paraphrased) - if the new manager needs to restructure the squad they can.

Financially yes. But it’ll still be within the current recruitment structure. 
Basically, new man comes in and says “I need him, him, him and him”. 
Mark comes back and says “I can’t get you him, him or him, but how about this one, that one and the other one?”  
New man “FFS, really? Ok, go one then” 

= head coach has final say 

First interview, shortlist, second interview. Doesn’t work in football, as your bound to appoint the person who does best in the process, which isn’t necessarily the right person. LJ, Holden etc are the sort of people who do well when eye to eye contact and power point presentations are the criteria used to sort one candidate from another. Cotterill didn’t have to negotiate this.

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

Now he’s said he was hoping covid restrictions would be lifted and maybe wait until they’re lifted before appointing, so he can be at the interview, I won’t have to keep checking my phone at work all day........for a few weeks yet.

I admire your optimism.  Could be waiting months not weeks.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think if MA supplies a list with Appleton and 3 no-hopers, SL will kick his arse out of the club.

I do sense he’s lost some trust, along with his son....hence SL actually gonna interview the top candidates.  I sense Jon might not be at the club much longer....not as Chairman anyway.  Think he maybe realised he’s not an owner in the making...and I think that might be why he’s put the clubs finance in a position where it’s not a hand me down.  All the other stuff, will be handed down.

Might be wide of the mark.

MA will compile the list with assistance from Jon (who will be ensuring any names Steve wants on the list are there) so there is no danger of MA's list being inadequate. No doubt MA will know who SL wants on the list in any event. 

SL (with MA and JL) interviewed the top candidates last time including Hughton and Holden. 

You're not wide of the mark, I agree it looks to me like JL won't be involved as much anymore. As I have hinted at before, I believe this is the early stages of the medium term plan to sell the club/bring other investment on board. 

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Perhaps, not sure how much it really affected it (and press just hyping it up) as he was seemingly applying for jobs within a few months rather than being sought out for jobs

Agreed Lrrr. Maybe he was applying but Wigan were holding him to his contract? Pure guesswork but judging by the cook interview posted on here yesterday, he walked away to save the club money but was still under contract.

Could it be that he was applying but couldn't actually fulfil any role until the contract situation was sorted with Wigan / the administrators? I may be totally wrong as it's pure conjecture.

Archived