IGNORED

Steve Lansdown interview

Red Army 75

I do think Steve is a good guy and that his motivation is to make BCFC something to make Bristolians proud. 

Having said that he also said he could see things were getting worse and has been in football long enough to read the warning signs.

Why the F then do we not have a VERY short list of coaches to chase now? Other clubs do their homework and go for the man that they think can deliver. Meanwhile, we put out a job advert, sit back and read the CVs and have a board meeting to go through the applications. 

FFS it isn't that hard surely. Identify someone who can demonstrate they have done it AT THIS level and go after them. 

It all seems so stilted and corporate compared to how other clubs do it. 

I thought the most telling comment was "we don't want to bring someone in that is going to destroy what we've built".

The use of the word "destroy", blimey! Very strong word. 

Destroying what you've built would be appointing someone that is going to get you relegated to L1, which is where we were heading under Holden.

No manager/head coach is going to destroy the Ashton Gate redevelopment or the new training ground, Steve. Beyond that, what have you "built" that you are so protective of? 

If it's what MA, JL and you have "built" in a recruitment/chain of command sense, then that's pretty concerning, as that is exactly what is holding us back and needs reviewing/destroying. 

Is this the case of 3rd time lucky with Ashton at the club or 3rd time unlucky,Two appointments haven't worked and should we feel confident that a 3rd time should be any different. This appointment will definitely decide if I'm parting my money for season ticket and lansdown has said he needs to get it right.. Yep you certainly do and I personally don't agree with Ashton being part of this process.. Mr lansdown I'm not a fan of your wonderful CEO and I honestly hope the right decision is made this time.

48 minutes ago, Street red said:

Would you trust Ashton with that list of candidates? I'm not sure he knows what a good manager is or what it takes to get us out this league,How massive is this next appointment for us.

This, very much. 

Imagine sitting with Ashton and asking him to outline the attributes of those on their initial list. 

I very much doubt he would know much about any of them, their tactical approach or coaching style. He never talks "football", at least not that I can remember.

How will he separate the wheat from the chaff?.... It will be entirely about interview performance and a willingness to adhere to "the plan", whatever that is. 

Been mentioned in previous posts, but the thing I picked up on most was the comment that “we don’t want someone coming in and destroying (changing) what we have here fundamentally”.

SL has been saying for a good few seasons now that we want to be Premier League. In all that time we have got close just once (under GJ), and actually, what they have set up now, in terms of structures, probably wasn’t set up in the GJ era. 

We have essentially been banging our heads against a brick wall. So in that sense, even if we choose not to take the option, we should be open to any suggested approach to achieve our goal. Even if it means someone making changes across the club. If it means we finally get to the Prem it will be worth it.

In that sense it is worrying to me that SL is still so closed and narrow in what he will consider (let alone appoint). If we want to continue in mid table mediocrity with the occasional cup run then what we have in place delivers that, but we have to at least be open to the thought that it might not be capable of taking us to the next level. 

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Financially yes. But it’ll still be within the current recruitment structure. 
Basically, new man comes in and says “I need him, him, him and him”. 
Mark comes back and says “I can’t get you him, him or him, but how about this one, that one and the other one?”  
New man “FFS, really? Ok, go one then” 

= head coach has final say 

I think much will depend on who comes in and then wait and see.  I loved the 50min Cook interview posted earlier by Mr Pops.  Now if you heard Cook say “I’m a builder” you’d believe it.  Didn’t throw the plan (4231) out of the window last season, continued to work on it, got Moore scoring, got his defensive stuff sorted. Accepted might take time to gel.

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

MA will compile the list with assistance from Jon (who will be ensuring any names Steve wants on the list are there) so there is no danger of MA's list being inadequate. No doubt MA will know who SL wants on the list in any event. 

SL (with MA and JL) interviewed the top candidates last time including Hughton and Holden. 

You're not wide of the mark, I agree it looks to me like JL won't be involved as much anymore. As I have hinted at before, I believe this is the early stages of the medium term plan to sell the club/bring other investment on board. 

He stated that will be left to Ashton to compile, but you might be right.

Not heard SL was involved in the interviews last time, not that it surprises me either.

Agree re ownership / outside investment.  I know we make jokes about Jon, but there’s no shame in not being as successful as his father.

11 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Agreed Lrrr. Maybe he was applying but Wigan were holding him to his contract? Pure guesswork but judging by the cook interview posted on here yesterday, he walked away to save the club money but was still under contract.

Could it be that he was applying but couldn't actually fulfil any role until the contract situation was sorted with Wigan / the administrators? I may be totally wrong as it's pure conjecture.

I think this might be true, whether it stopped us going further I don’t know.  But I do think his resignation had some clauses.  It sounds like he didn’t resign to take a job elsewhere either, although sure some NDA in there somewhere!!

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I thought the most telling comment was "we don't want to bring someone in that is going to destroy what we've built".

Destroying what you've built would be appointing someone that is going to get you relegated to L1, which is where we were heading under Holden.

No manager/head coach is going to destroy the Ashton Gate redevelopment or the new training ground, Steve. Beyond that, what have you "built" that you are so protective of? 

If it's what MA, JL and you have "built" in a recruitment/chain of command sense, then that's pretty concerning, as that is exactly what is holding us back and needs reviewing/destroying. 

Destroy is a strange word.  I guess you could flip it and say I don’t want it destroyed, but I am prepared to foes it a bit this time.  I got suckered last time around.

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

Pretty much confirmed what a few of us have said recently...that he won't be altering the system in place. Mentions academy a lot and the pathway...and our recruitment. And that they will be selling that to any potential appointment and that they have to fit in with it and agree to it, and if possible help improve it...but within the structure.

It's between a rock and a hard place.

For years we've said how useless the academy was...now it's producing good players.

But imo...they are good middle of the road Championship players. Not promotion level.

He mentions these players being sprinkled with experience.

That imo, could work after a few seasons...as long as you keep building the team and not selling the best. Otherwise it's one step forward, two back. 

As for the list...imo.. it's MA who gets the list and whittles it down,band then SL and JL join at later stages.

Imo...it's very obvious that MA pretty much runs this club now. From recruitment in both players and managerial candidates.

SL and JL may never be aware of potential players or candidates if they aren't presented to them.

They obviously very much trust his judgement.

Exactly that and confirmed the current recruitment policy and culture will stay the same. Said new man needs to slot in their system and culture, this will not change. 

Screams another yes man. No chance a Cook, Hughton or any credible successful manager will accept having their hand strung like this unless we learn to be more flexible and evolve our structure and Mark Ashton/Steve Lansdown's remit.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Destroy is a strange word.  I guess you could flip it and say I don’t want it destroyed, but I am prepared to foes it a bit this time.  I got suckered last time around.

FWIW I got the vibe that he’s being a bit more realistic and prepared to ‘bend’ , if not break the ‘ethos’ 

This Appointment is a massive one for the Club and Steve Lansdown

But ...... Boy do we need a Football man in the hierarchy

I can't believe there isn't an element of flexibility should someone come in with ideas that can improve our processes, that's a basic business protocol. New eyes, new ideas etc etc.

If they wanted to come in and wreck the 'pillars' of youth / experience, academy promotion and change the (yet to be finished) training centre layout , say, then definitely not.

Should someone want to come in and suggest changes to the recruitment process for the better, i can't believe SL wouldn't look at it and be open to adjustment.

EDIT: Shelts beat me to it and one again, I find myself in total agreement with his point.

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

It wasn’t t an interview as such and not intended to be , I’m not sure why anyone would expect some form of grilling from an employee of his

It was a Club Employee opening subjects and facilitating , for SL to comment on and explain

I didn’t expect a 20man type grill

is that better than a George foremen have  I brought the wrong piece of kit

Steve is the Boss I’m sure everyone knows that. He has done and continues to do an excellent job. BUT the football club needs leaders on the field and on the touch line. A bit more charisma is needed to give not only the players but the fans something to cheer about. It’s not an academic game, it’s passion and entertainment and the roar of the crowd. 

Fair play to SL for holding his hands up over Holden’s appointment, even though it was destined to fail. 

The comment about the new man not destroying what’s in place was telling. Recruitment is clearly failing, “the stats don’t lie”, Steve. That’s a major part of the problem and who we might be able to get.

I wonder who the candidates he’s thinking of who weren’t available in the summer? Howe’s the obvious one, Lampard perhaps another? 

Shit questions from the bloke interviewing as well.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My impression is he used that word as it's emotive, and that reflects what he's built and is trying to build is quite personal to him, and his ego. So the idea that he (or him, Jon, and Ashton) have got it wrong and may need to rethink or change is some destruction of their idea rather than an iteration or improvement of it. I think it's a slightly prickly reaction to some perhaps more knowledgeable people having suggested they've done something wrong, or are on the wrong track.

There's a risk of a sunk cost fallacy here. It's fine that we've put time and effort into building something, but if what we've build isn't right then piling more onto it isn't going to fix anything. Just because what he built in his professional life was right, doesn't mean this is - but then I guess billionaires aren't known for reflective and humble introspection.

Armchair psychology of course, but I thought it was an interesting choice of words!

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

FWIW I got the vibe that he’s being a bit more realistic and prepared to ‘bend’ , if not break the ‘ethos’ 

This Appointment is a massive one for the Club and Steve Lansdown

But ...... Boy do we need a Football man in the hierarchy

Agreed. I'd like to see Ashton's role changed if he isn't going to be removed completely. Bring in a person who knows their football (maybe an ex-manager, or someone who has worked as a DoF elsewhere) to act as a Director of Football or "head of recruitment" (call it whatever Ashton wants to make him feel better) who can be in charge of WHO we recruit, both manager and players, and let Ashton stick to corporate stuff and contract/transfer fee negotiations etc.

I think fair play to him. I said on Monday that last Saturday was a massive wake up call for him. Reality is we are miles away from where the club thinks we were and they got ahead of themselves. He is right, performances have been below par for quite a while and he held his hands up and admitted he hasn't got it right. Most other owners and Chairman would just walk away after 19 years. He hasn't. Anyone who questions his commitment to City is kidding themselves and he clearly makes the decisions.

I am glad he has done these two interviews, lets be honest, he can't win either way. Lets just hope we get this one right, far more positives from the two interviews than negatives

31 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You're not wide of the mark, I agree it looks to me like JL won't be involved as much anymore. As I have hinted at before, I believe this is the early stages of the medium term plan to sell the club/bring other investment on board. 

Agree

Jon hasn’t bought a ‘holiday home’ and is more likely to buy an American Sport Franchise Post his father than own Bristol City IMHO

There may be a realisation that Jon isn’t up to , or doesn’t want to , inherit the responsibility of owning and running the Bristol Sport Empire

Steve is in his late 60’s and if  the above is in anyway accurate ,must be eyeing some form of exit strategy before anything happens to him.

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

I can't believe there isn't an element of flexibility should someone come in with ideas that can improve our processes, that's a basic business protocol. New eyes, new ideas etc etc.

If they wanted to come in and wreck the 'pillars' of youth / experience, academy promotion and change the (yet to be finished) training centre layout , say, then definitely not.

Should someone want to come in and suggest changes to the recruitment process for the better, i can't believe SL wouldn't look at it and be open to adjustment.

You would hope so but if your a previously successful coach/manager and told what you have done previously is not compatible with the recruitment process or stepping on Ashton's shoes you likely to say no thanks and join a club that respects your track record and how you operate.

No experienced quality applicants  will accept these restrictions hence the farce in the summer. 

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is the main negative I found and have found at the club for the past 5 years in particular. The ethos much around DNA, being seen as 'good' people, being respected. 

Why would we want that? I want promotion to the Premier League, not being liked and having good people at the club. I'd say that is actually what has been holding the club back for too long. A soft touch. 

We don't need good people, we need Winners and leaders!

Just now, Dynamite Red said:

You would hope so but if your a previously successful coach/manager and told what you have done previously is not compatible with the recruitment process or stepping on Ashton's shoes you likely to say no thanks and join a club that respects your track record and how you operate.

No experienced quality applicants  will accept these restrictions hence the farce in the summer. 

Let's hope an old dog can learn new tricks then DR and avoid that scenario. It would be madness not to take an experienced heads opinion into account.

33 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think it referred to the principle of being self sustaining, buy to sell, the emphasis of trying to bring through academy players that's developed in the last 4/5 seasons.

To me it all sounds similar to someone like Alex Neil, or someone else who operates in a similar way

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

EDIT: Shelts beat me to it and one again, I find myself in total agreement with his point.

Out of likes Ska

That’s only because I have a big trap mate and fire quick ! ?

Thought you explained the same thought very well - I smelt someone wounded , who has been almost stung / awoken into  a news surge of ambition - whether he’s learnt or been stung enough to make a good move this time we can only hope ?

?

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

This is the main negative I found and have found at the club for the past 5 years in particular. The ethos much around DNA, being seen as 'good' people, being respected. 

Why would we want that? I want promotion to the Premier League, not being liked and having good people at the club. I'd say that is actually what has been holding the club back for too long. A soft touch. 

Yes. I sounds like the last thing they want is someone  who would ever challenge or question. It was one way.... they can work our way.... no suggestion that the club/board could learn from the new person. Worrying. 

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I think it referred to the principle of being self sustaining, buy to sell, the emphasis of trying to bring through academy players that's developed in the last 4/5 seasons.

To me it all sounds similar to someone like Alex Neil, or someone else who operates in a similar way

Ties is with the 'not practcal last summer' as wasn't the compo to PNE absolutely obscene in the summer? 

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Out of likes Ska

That’s only because I have a big trap mate and fire quick ! ?

Thought you explained the same thought very well - I smelt someone wounded , who has been almost stung / awoken into  a news surge of ambition - whether he’s learnt or been stung enough to make a good move this time we can only hope ?

?

Agreed again pal.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Ties is with the 'not practcal last summer' as wasn't the compo to PNE absolutely obscene in the summer? 

£3m supposedly, he now has less than 18 months left on his contract and given Covid could they lower their position a fair bit?

Well my take away from that interview is just how very corporate our Head Coach Recruitment process is. It is absolutely at the mercy of Ashton’s spin & coaches who can talk the talk.

What I find concerning is that they seem unable to identify, agree on & headhunt the right guy from the start. It just smacks of a complete lack of knowledge of the football world around them.

We are basically going to go through the same process & timeline that we saw in the summer. Goodness knows how many more points will be dropped & where we will sit in the table by the time a decision is made.

Will we get the right person this time around? I’m not holding out much hope if Ashton has a major say in it.

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Maybe, but we are in no way sustainable. Ironically, one way we could have made ourselves sustainable would have been to appoint a Warnock type to get us promoted to the promised land and bag the £100m+ promotion bonus plus parachute payments. 

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

We are exactly that, a soft touch. Evidence for that is the performances the players have been turning in for the past 3 months. It's become a cosy club again. 

Archived