IGNORED

Barnsley (H) - Sat 20th Feb 15:00 - Matchday thread

Bristol Sport Customer Survey  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What will the outcome be?

2. 2. How many will City score?

3. 3. How many will Barnsley Score?

4. 4. How many shots on target will we have?

5. 5. Who do you TRUST the MOST to pick the next head coach?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/20/21 at 15:01

Good day fellow Bristol Sport customers! Time to take a breath of fresh air and look forward to a game containing a team that does well with its budget, has an identity and transfer strategy, and is moving on up the league with a real buzz around it!

That's right it's that team that plays in red! It's B-B-B-Br 

Barnsley. Unlike our last few opponents who were coming off winless runs and poor form Barnsley have won the last couple and haven't lost in the league in a month (19th Jan) In many ways they're a mirror of us, negative goal difference, not many draws, not many goals but they're kinda doing what we say we want to right now on a lower budget (assumedly). If we cant beat Barnsley then the next three are probably a write off, then QPR are in good form, which could make 11 losses in a row! Then after that it's away to Birmingham. That's starting to look like a big game IMO!

One other piece of news just to save us from the inevitable transfer window speculation, Barry Bannan signed a new contract to 2023 at Wednesday. huh, an soon to be out of contract player extending their deal, weird.

There's been a lot of threads about the decision makers at the club, but who do you trust the most when it comes to appointing a manager? I felt it was too easy to have a none of the above option! I don't really know what Jon Lansdown does, SL worried me by saying a coach would have to fit in with our structure, so I actually think.. Mark Ashton... yikes, I feel sick.

This weeks person to demand a reaction is Dan Bentley, lucky for him we probably can't afford to sack him if it doesn't happen!

It's time to continue our record of always bouncing back!

COYR!

• The title was changed to Barnsley (H) - Sat 20th Feb 15:00 - Matchday thread

I can’t be less optimistic than the last few weeks!

Do I have any real confidence in Downing and Simpson? Nope. However, we know have players who will be aware a new head coach is coming in, and will likely up their game accordingly, and D&S can’t be more tactically inept than Holden so I hope for something that resembles an organised team without central strikers on the left wing, number 10s as quarterbacks and disinterested Knowle residents up front.

1-0. One or two shots on target, and no talk of the playoffs after please - just the reality we need 9 more points

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I can’t be less optimistic than the last few weeks!

Do I have any real confidence in Downing and Simpson? Nope. However, we know have players who will be aware a new head coach is coming in, and will likely up their game accordingly, and D&S can’t be more tactically inept than Holden so I hope for something that resembles an organised team without central strikers on the left wing, number 10s as quarterbacks and disinterested Knowle residents up front.

1-0. One or two shots on target, and no talk of the playoffs after please - just the reality we need 9 more points

I always have an interest what assistants would do for a game or two with their selection, just not permanently!

1 minute ago, Prinny said:

I always have an interest what assistants would do for a game or two with their selection, just not permanently!

Yeah, I think the assistant selection is always interesting as it points to probable disagreements with the prior head coach. I’m trying to convince myself that two England age coaches, surely, can’t have thought the pack the defence all season strategy was a good idea and it was Holdens choice.

Either way don’t want them in the frame full time, agree!

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yeah, I think the assistant selection is always interesting as it points to probable disagreements with the prior head coach. I’m trying to convince myself that two England age coaches, surely, can’t have thought the pack the defence all season strategy was a good idea and it was Holdens choice.

Either way don’t want them in the frame full time, agree!

I fear we’re not going to get the bounce from these two bring in charge. I mentioned on another thread I think they’re part of the problem and not the solution long or short term. Dean doesn’t come across as the type of guy who would ignore their input , I guess today will prove it 

The reaction from the players on Tuesday simply wasn’t good enough and that’s a concern. 

Barnsley look really good under their new coach: 0-2

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

A win would be nice to ease relegation fears but do we really really want Simpson and Downing to embark on a long positive run of results to get their names in the frame?

Here lies the enigma. If we start to win matches,  what will SL be thinking then?

So, what are the omens?

As Barnsley are from Yorkshire, I've consulted the tea leaves on this one.

In fairness the leaves are evenly spread on this one, no real direction, nothing very exciting at all!! It suggests we may just scrape a draw but its likely we will have a bitter taste in our mouths after the match. I think we need some sweeteners from SL to fix this! ?‍♂️

Impossible to tell what is going to happen today.  I guess the outcome might tell us whether Holden was the problem or whether it was Downing and Simpson.  I'm certainly hoping to see a team with a bit more fight and spirit than we have of late.

My gut feeling is that we need a motivator heading the coaching side.  Maybe a tough guy rather than a lovely human.  Mind you, this squad have had it soft for so long, they may not take too kindly to a few well needed kicks up the backsides they might get.

Desperately want us to beat Barnsley, and to put on our best performance of the season.

However, if that happens, I worry that Downing and Simpson may be asked to run the show till the end of the season.

So I'll settle for a scrappy 1-0 win, just to get the three points and leave the door open for the proven, well qualified manager that we need and crave.

11 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Desperately want us to beat Barnsley, and to put on our best performance of the season.

However, if that happens, I worry that Downing and Simpson may be asked to run the show till the end of the season.

So I'll settle for a scrappy 1-0 win, just to get the three points and leave the door open for the proven, well qualified manager that we need and crave.

Agree with this. Any win will do but an uninspiring one may bring in the proven, well qualified manager more quickly! 

I'm predicting a win. Not sure there's any evidence to support this but new manager bounce tends to result in a win in the first match after a sacking generally in my experience.

Somehow I get the feeling Lansdown may have strongly mandated to Downing and Simpson that we MUST play with more attacking intent and stop ******* about with the ball in our own half for so ******* much of the game... so I actually anticipate shots galore today. Though if the quality of our set piece/final ball delivery is anything to go by, I anticipate more Rugby conversions than Football goals today.

City 2-1 Barnsley.

Bentley man of the match (yet again).

The players usually look downhearted as they emerge from the tunnel and before they set foot onto the pitch. What’s needed is a good motivational upbeat talk before they leave the dressing room. Where is Stoney Garnet when you need him?

I want to see if Simpson and Delilah have any balls. Are they prepared to bin off players that plainly haven't been trying. Are they prepared to give Sam Bell some game time. Have they done anything vastly different in two or three days that will see anything change on the pitch?

Interesting side-note Brentford 2-0 down at Coventry with less than 30 minutes of normal time left.

Archived