IGNORED

Richard Latham

Allwaysred

I'm sure a few would have caught his radio bit this morning and I think unfortunately he has it bang on. The truth of the matter is we are not a big club and we sell our best players year on year so what HOWE OR COOK will fit our so called model by not having any control over that.....None Hence our poor managerial appointments. He went on to state we will always have a lower ilk of manager due to our structure throughout the club so don't get your hope's to high fellow reds and will see how different our ambition view is to SL. 

I'm convinced they'll take their time as SL said and it will allow Simpson to get a few wins under his belt, this will get the board excited and Simpson will be appointed 3rd week of March on a one year rolling contract as the standout candidate.

TBH I'd take another hammering today to ensure they get a move on and for once appoint a Championship manager out of sheer desperation. 

2 minutes ago, dREDful said:

I'm convinced they'll take their time as SL said and it will allow Simpson to get a few wins under his belt, this will get the board excited and Simpson will be appointed 3rd week of March on a one year rolling contract as the standout candidate.

TBH I'd take another hammering today to ensure they get a move on and for once appoint a Championship manager out of sheer desperation. 

Unfortunately we will take a hammering anyway because Barnsley are a much better team than us. 

15 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

I'm sure a few would have caught his radio bit this morning and I think unfortunately he has it bang on. The truth of the matter is we are not a big club and we sell our best players year on year so what HOWE OR COOK will fit our so called model by not having any control over that.....None Hence our poor managerial appointments. He went on to state we will always have a lower ilk of manager due to our structure throughout the club so don't get your hope's to high fellow reds and will see how different our ambition view is to SL. 

This is spot on, Ashton and his cronies need to go before we can ever start to see this club reach its potential.

15 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

Howe has sold his best players before and Cook has too. They have managed teams like Bournemouth and Wigan not Man United and Barcelona. Everyone sells their best players. It is about having someone in with enough sense to have a style of play and recruit for that. 

Every club sells players not sure why this is unique to us? Bobby/Joe were last year of contract, Webster you don’t turn down £20m, Josh had a clause in the summer which meant we’d receive less. Lloyd hadn’t played even a full seasons worth of games and we were getting offered £13m, big gamble to turn down if he had a poor next season or got injured he wouldn’t have been worth anywhere near as such 

9 minutes ago, dREDful said:

Personally don’t see a bounce from keeping these two in control. Unless dean completely dismissed their ideas and suggestions I’m not sure what changes. The longer these two are here the more likely relegation . In my opinion their both part of the problem and not the cure 

10 minutes ago, dREDful said:

I disagree. If they give Simpson the job they will be mindful of the Holden situation so will not give him a one year rolling contract like Deano but two six month rolling contracts to run concurrently.

11 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

Brentford are an inconvenient truth when trying to justify this argument 

Yes, in terms of Playoffs, promotion, recruitment, etc.

Im more pissed off that Blackburn, Preston, Millwall, Barnsley, Luton (and Brentford) - all recent returnees to this division from Lg1 are equally as competitive as us on fractions of the budget.

Steve - you ain’t getting VFM!  Wake up.

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

We are one of the biggest clubs in the Champ in terms of support (inc parachute clubs) and finance (exc parachute clubs) so I dont know what Latham is on about. 

Mid table Championship is our default position, anything higher (4 seasons in Division 1 & one play off final) we're punching above our weight.

Remember that this club has NEVER  won a major trophy. 

13 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Mid table Championship is our default position, anything higher (4 seasons in Division 1 & one play off final) we're punching above our weight.

Remember that this club has NEVER  won a major trophy. 

Put us side by side with a club like Blackburn who obviously have won something but there is absolute no reason they should be above us.

We will never win anything if we always have an inferiority against much smaller clubs (support, finance) that have won in the past.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

This is spot on, Ashton and his cronies need to go before we can ever start to see this club reach its potential.

It is Lansdown who has to adjust his vision of the club and how it runs before we ever see the club reach its potential. He appointed Ashton and Ashton is running the club in the way Lansdown wants. So I can't see how getting rid of Ashton will change anything if Lansdown wants the club run the way it currently is. By the way I am not saying he should stay but everything hinges on Lansdown and what he wants.

1 hour ago, dREDful said:

I like your ‘optimism’. I struggle to see where two or three wins are coming from.

I’d be very happy to see some wins because if we’re not careful we could slip into L1. No one wants that.

These days you cannot keep players once a Prem team wants them. The obscene amounts they can offer a player means you just can't deny them the opportunity. So saying we should refuse to sell our best players is denying reality. Players won't come here if we are known as a club that will try to stop them taking their big chance when it comes. 

As said before, the likes of Brentford make it work. Surely any football man will know this is just the way it is these days. If you get a man like Cotterill who builds a great team spirit you MIGHT get players to stay a bit longer but even then most will, understandably, chase the money. After all an injury can happen any time and they may lose their chance forever. 

1 hour ago, Allwaysred said:

It most certainly is m8 but at present it's the reality of it..... I look at the table now with the likes of Barnsley, Millwall, Cardiff, all above us makes me sick..

Pound for pound Barnsley and Millwall are better than us. But I suppose if we had their budgets we'd fewer players at least. Cardiff have at least been in the Prem, even if I would probably wish them less success that the Gas.

I see Cook as lower ilk manager.  He has been successful at levels below and done relatively well with Wigan but he has not managed in the Prem or a flagship Championship club.  This club would still be a draw in terms of him furthering his career.

There is definitely an issue with our structure.  If MA is accountable for financial success then he shouldn't have such direct influence of player recruitment and sales. Otherwise we get the short-termism we've seen by cashing in on players than than building a team around them.  Player recruitment and sales should be ring-fenced and a DoF or technical director placed in charge that is solely responsible for our footballing philosophy.  

To some extent you cannot blame MA.  He is probably only behaving according to how he is incentivised to act due to his current remit.  Release responsibility of player recruitment and sales from his remit, and we have some chance of building something long-term.

Personally, I feel this is the change needed and I don't think any single manager should have too much power.  The long-term success of the club cannot be left in the hands of any manager that cannot commit long-term to the club (given we aren't a top European club) or who's position is so precarious given this is a results business.  

For me BCFC and Paul Cook are about right for each other.  It does sound like we need to tweak the structure to assure him that whatever he starts to build won't be sold out from under him.  

It encouraging that SL is taking time to appoint, but sooner or later he needs to make a structural change either now or once we have a few more unsuccessful managers. Gonna be groundhog Day until we do. 

1 hour ago, Malvern Red said:

Brentford are an inconvenient truth when trying to justify this argument 

Ashton's recruitment must come under the microscope. Brentford are a trading club similar to us and Ashton speaks highly of himself getting the club to trade well, but we haven't. We have sold over the last few years our best and biggest assets who could have got us promoted if we had built around them. This can be understood if we replaced with equally or better players, but we haven't (Wells, Mawsom, Brunt, Martin....) . The difference is Brentford seem to have. Pinnock (who was on the doorstep at Forest Green once), Fosu and of course Toney. While they have sold Watkins, Maupau, Benrahma etc. Having said that Brentford have now lost two in a row!!

www.otibclothing.co.uk
FACE MASKS, POLOS, TEE SHIRTS

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Latham knows they will hear this and is possibly using it as a challenge - nudging them towards breaking the mould.

There may be some truth in this. He’s a respected journalist with a long history of reporting on City. He usually knows what he’s talking about. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, in terms of Playoffs, promotion, recruitment, etc.

Im more pissed off that Blackburn, Preston, Millwall, Barnsley, Luton (and Brentford) - all recent returnees to this division from Lg1 are equally as competitive as us on fractions of the budget.

Steve - you ain’t getting VFM!  Wake up.

Or even Burnley in the Premier League. They released their accounts in April, which showed a £4million profit - the third year in a row the club have been in the black. That’s how to run a club on a small budget 

I can't remember any of our truly exciting/great talents ever begging to stay when a upward move came calling and its the same for just about all clubs. Its the same everywhere in sport and in life.

Howe or Cook won't have any more control over it here than they would anywhere else - Even Liverpool or Man U can and do lose a player the Manager wants to keep.

What Steve CAN control to some degree is who he appoints as Manager which is where the questions should be asked. The minute we have a really good player on our hands- someone else will come calling and the club is powerless to prevent it.

I doubt there's Club in L1 or L2 that can stop a Championship club taking their players. 

Why is this suddenly a Bristol City thing?

Archived