IGNORED

Emma Hayes MBE

M.D

31 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I think I’d probably give it up , personally , once and for all 

Because we’d have appointed the 2nd best coach in women’s football?

She’s incredibly highly thought of in the women’s game so I see no reason why she wouldn’t be able to be successful in the mens, not that she would come here anyway considering the position she’s in with Chelsea

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Can you imagine the fans response ?

To be fair....it would be a shock....I don't doubt that....BUT I would be willing her to succeed...I'd be fully behind her.....imagine if she took us up! That's the stuff of Hollywood (and I don't mean bread or baking)

Maybe the best man for the job on this occasion is, in fact, a woman.....

The only thing I really care about is that the next manager has the required knowledge, skills and character to firstly stabilise the team and then drive us forward. 

Race, gender or whatever is absolutely immaterial in that effort. 

The pressure on the first female head coach in the men's game at this level would be immense so anyone who could handle that and bring success to Bristol City would have to be very good. 

I think she could do decent job. For me though I think it would be beneficial to be the second woman in the UK to take on a Male EFL/PL team. Being the first you are going to be completely surrounded by a media circus.  Once the trailblazer has been appointed then the novelty value will drop off and the only criteria they will be assessed against is football competence.

I think it would be something of a surprise if City appointed a woman (be it Hayes or another) at the present time. Should it happen it will be a considerable risk as seen by some in the masses. But that is not to say it won't happen in the future - there have been a few minor roles taken up by women in the men's game and surely there will come a time when it will at a higher level.

There is no doubt that women are assimmilating the game every bit as much as men and can justify what they can contribute. Their place holds as much value as anyone else's. But appointing a woman as a head coach at League level will be faced with having to battle for hearts and minds, rather than coaching ability. That's the reality until that battle is won and others follow. It's about forcing open the gates, slowly at first.

Personally, I think Emma Hayes is in a pretty comfortable position. There is no real threat and lots yet to achieve in the women's game for her to leave. Perhaps she has a eye on the England job? She has recently had a baby and is set to raise them with her partner whilst leading the club to success; that's a lot on her plate.

Of course, if City appoint someone who is not in the typical mould and who then leads the team to success then most would not care a bit about their gender/sexuality/politics or whatever. It's one game, one love.

There's the possibility that being in the media spotlight will embolden the players to play out of their skins. It would certainly put Bristol City in the history books. A Hollywood blockbuster will surely follow. I can see Tom Hanks or Michael Caine as Steve Lansdown, Jim Carrey as Ashton and Nicole Kidman as Emma Hayes MBE. The players could be themselves in the film as it's never convincing when actors play footballers. Actually, second thoughts, it will be best to cast actors.

8 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Strict female teachers often have the best control over unruly teenage boys in school. 

So maybe the same principle could apply.

Would she ever lose the undressing room?

I was thinking if it would be a good idea to have women officials instead of men, purely for that reason. 

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it would be a huge gamble and not the right time. She'd come under enormous scrutiny and lots of fans (who wouldn't like the idea of the appointment) wouldn't give her any time in the current situation. 

It’s not the fans PF , it’s the players that are important

Whether people bristle or not at this - but good luck operating a male dressing room at this level 

I’m afraid I don’t think achieving in Women’s Football with an expensive side would give her much or any starting credibility

Someone like Fevs could form an excellent game plan , and pick a decent side , and go through some excellent analysis - but would have the very same issue

The best boss I ever had was a female , but that wasn’t in Male Professional Football environment 

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

There's the possibility that being in the media spotlight will embolden the players to play out of their skins. It would certainly put Bristol City in the history books. A Hollywood blockbuster will surely follow. I can see Tom Hanks or Michael Caine as Steve Lansdown, Jim Carrey as Ashton and Nicole Kidman as Emma Hayes MBE. The players could be themselves in the film as it's never convincing when actors play footballers. Actually, second thoughts, it will be best to cast actors.

No. someone far more smarmy. or can do smarmy.

21 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

It’s not the fans PF , it’s the players that are important

Whether people bristle or not at this - but good luck operating a male dressing room at this level 

I’m afraid I don’t think achieving in Women’s Football with an expensive side would give her much or any starting credibility

Someone like Fevs could form an excellent game plan , and pick a decent side , and go through some excellent analysis - but would have the very same issue

The best boss I ever had was a female , but that wasn’t in Male Professional Football environment 

Yep, would be laughed out of the dressing room.

I don’t think we should make anything of what SL said in the interview.....he was just correcting himself, conscious of the PC brigade/world we live in.

I'm sure at some point somebody will take the plunge and employ a female coach but that won’t we be us at this juncture 

I'd employ her in an under 23 manager role for instance. Give her a couple of years within the mans game to earn a reputation and show the guys she can do it and has the tactical nous then let her progress from there. In our current situation then its far too much of a risk as she'd need time to first convince the nay sayers amongst the players never mind the supporters. She's probably too high up in the womens game to come over as anything other than a head coach but certainly a talented womens coach should be working in the mens game.

1 hour ago, big dosser said:

not a chance i would rather have Michelle Owen, only women pundit i can listen to and talks sense, as for Bianca bloody Westwood enough said. I might start to commentate on the netball see how they like it

I bet you've rung the Feminist society and asked to speak to the man in charge? :laugh: ???

6 hours ago, RedRaw said:

I don’t think we should make anything of what SL said in the interview.....he was just correcting himself, conscious of the PC brigade/world we live in.

I'm sure at some point somebody will take the plunge and employ a female coach but that won’t we be us at this juncture 

I`ve often thought that employing the first female head coach/manager in the men`s game would be a very Forest Green thing to do. Dale Vince is the sort to have the guts to try and break the mould.

Archived