IGNORED

Contact renewals deliberately put off?

Aipearcey

Might well have been - but as I said in the players thread - it’s a gamble.

Much like the failed gamble of “outing” Famara on sky.

A gamble where you’re left with players looking elsewhere at their future and not doing it for us now on the pitch.

And very quickly you’re dragged down the table..only takes two or three.

2 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Does anyone else think that the club have deliberately put off the renewal of players as they knew there would most likely be a new head coach and didn’t want to them to lumbered with half a squad they don’t want?

More a case of having run up an enormous wage bill on a bloated squad I think.

12 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Does anyone else think that the club have deliberately put off the renewal of players as they knew there would most likely be a new head coach and didn’t want to them to lumbered with half a squad they don’t want?

Nail on head - hence SL’s comments on Friday re. FFP and opportunity to shape the squad.

We will see a huge turnover of the squad this summer (rightly so!), given the number of OOC players we have....

The fact that we aren’t currently negotiating tells me that they knew that Holden wouldn’t have been here next season unless we secured a top six finish 

With the covid at the end of the season there are going to be a surplus of players,

The clubs have the upper hand for the first time since Bosman.

the players out of contract will have chance to find other clubs or resign on reduced terms. if they don,t resign i can see us getting players dropping down from the league above.

25 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

That part, no.

4 minutes ago, dragonreds said:

With the covid at the end of the season there are going to be a surplus of players,

The clubs have the upper hand for the first time since Bosman.

the players out of contract will have chance to find other clubs or resign on reduced terms. if they don,t resign i can see us getting players dropping down from the league above.

⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️

Wether the Holden was a temporary appointment or not, I don't think it had anything to do with it. As dragonreds says, all to do with what may happen in the summer. What wages could have been expected last summer, will be wildly ambitious this summer. Teams will not have the money to pay the wages that players may have expected. There could be some good players OOC and clubs may not keep squads as big.

I'm still surprised they haven't sorted Walsh out though. A lot of players OOC here this summer are at the older end, Walsh is still young and the only negative is the injury, which hopefully wont affect him in the future.

50 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Unlikely I would say. However for me it’s one of the positives for getting in a new manager before the seasons end. The squad is full of deadwood and it would give a new manager more chance to shape the squad as he wants.

Not many I would want us to keep that’s for sure.

55 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

It has to be deliberate doesn't it? It is gross mismanagement if it wasn't deliberate

That said, seeing where we are poised now (needing fight for a relegation battle), you could argue that this deliberate tactic is also gross mismanagement or arrogant/ complacent 

Either way u look at it, it's an absolute shitshow. Embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, Taylor10 said:

Unlikely I would say. However for me it’s one of the positives for getting in a new manager before the seasons end. The squad is full of deadwood and it would give a new manager more chance to shape the squad as he wants.

Not many I would want us to keep that’s for sure.

This might be the one thing that makes us attractive to prospective managers.

Notwithstanding the club’s “structure” and the requirement for a manager to work within it, knowing that a large number of players will be leaving at that the incoming manager will be involved in choosing replacements would be appealing.

Of course, the crucial question will be whether those replacements will be championship or league 1! 

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

This might be the one thing that makes us attractive to prospective managers.

Notwithstanding the club’s “structure” and the requirement for a manager to work within it, knowing that a large number of players will be leaving at that the incoming manager will be involved in choosing replacements would be appealing.

Of course, the crucial question will be whether those replacements will be championship or league 1! 

Agreed. Although it depends how much of a say a new ‘head coach’ will have on incoming players.

This group aren’t good enough. Finances may be tight but I’ve seen enough of most of them now. As for champ or L1....it’s a little too uncomfortable to call at the moment!

We should play the youngsters now. They wont be any worse than what we have now on the pitch. The kids may not keep us up this season but the experience will be invaluable for them next season as they will be what we will have to go with post relegation.

1 hour ago, Aipearcey said:

No.  Lots of clubs have put contract negotiations off because of the uncertainty caused by the pandemic.  That makes absolute sense, given the devastating effect that Covid is having on football as a business.

1 hour ago, Aipearcey said:

They put off contract renewals as wages have fallen dramatically and there will be a shit load of players ooc on July 1....In Mark Ashton’s opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

They put off contract renewals as wages have fallen dramatically and there will be a shit load of players ooc on July 1....In Mark Ashton’s opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a few others - beside MA - will be of a similar opinion.

34 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

You only have to check Transfermarkt- not always 100% reliable but a pretty useful database- to see how relatively few out of contract Championship players have been renewed.

It's not so many.

Archived