IGNORED

Finances there for new head coach, but Liam Walsh not offered contract.

Fordy62

This has been troubling me somewhat. SL was very clear that we’re well within FFP, but Ashton has told us that we’ve not yet offered Liam Walsh a contract for financial reasons.

Im not claiming he’s the messiah, but we saw from his POTS performances at Cov that he’s capable of making things happen in midfield. He’s exactly that we need. 

So how can there be backing for the new coach, but insufficient funding to offer Walsh a new contract?

Bollock to Paterson and even to Hunt. Hell I’d even let Weimann go... but for goodness sake sort it out. 

If he doesn’t want to sign, that’s a whole different matter, but I like to think I’ve been fairly accurate in predicting Ayling, Freeman and Smith would be big regrets and I’m telling you now, Liam Walsh is the next. 

Think SL made that comment, knowing we’ve got shed loads of players OOC come June and so the new man will have the opportunity to shape his squad as he sees fit.

We will have a totally different team come next season but will depend on which league we are in, hence why contracts aren’t being renewed at this stage

Just now, Fordy62 said:

This has been troubling me somewhat. SL was very clear that we’re well within FFP, but Ashton has told us that we’ve not yet offered Liam Walsh a contract for financial reasons.

Im not claiming he’s the messiah, but we saw from his POTS performances at Cov that he’s capable of making things happen in midfield. He’s exactly that we need. 

So how can there be backing for the new coach, but insufficient funding to offer Walsh a new contract?

Bollock to Paterson and even to Hunt. Hell I’d even let Weimann go... but for goodness sake sort it out. 

If he doesn’t want to sign, that’s a whole different matter, but I like to think I’ve been fairly accurate in predicting Ayling, Freeman and Smith would be big regrets and I’m telling you now, Liam Walsh is the next. 

To be fair what has Walsh done to earn a new contract?

He did well out on loan St Coventry yes but he is totally unproven and could turn out to be worse then what we have currently (hard I know)

He has spent more time injured then fit

Just now, Fordy62 said:

I wonder why Walsh would sign a contract. He's never really been given a chance in the past, wasn't recalled last January when we needed a midfielder and money has been spent recruiting Lansbury rather than offering him a deal. As you say, the club could find the funds if they were suitably motivated to do so. 

My annoyance with Walsh is that I fear we'll just never know how he would have done here. 

1 minute ago, Loosey Boy said:

Think SL made that comment, knowing we’ve got shed loads of players OOC come June and so the new man will have the opportunity to shape his squad as he sees fit.

We will have a totally different team come next season but will depend on which league we are in, hence why contracts aren’t being renewed at this stage

Ashton had already said, before Lansbury came in and before Holden was sacked, we'd only offered a contract to Fam and nobody else. It's nothing to do with the change of manager. 

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He did well out on loan St Coventry yes but he is totally unproven and could turn out to be worse then what we have currently (hard I know)

Can’t disagree, he’s not done anything to earn a new one. But if we were looking to sign a L1 POTS, we’d be excited. He’s a prospect who’s proved himself at the level he played at with aplomb. We can’t let him go without seeing him, it’d be suicide. 

And there’s not way he wouldn’t be a starter in the current XI. 

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Can’t disagree, he’s not done anything to earn a new one. But if we were looking to sign a L1 POTS, we’d be excited. He’s a prospect who’s proved himself at the level he played at with aplomb. We can’t let him go without seeing him, it’d be suicide. 

I dont disagree, I just can understand the club's stance on this one 

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I wonder why Walsh would sign a contract. He's never really been given a chance in the past, wasn't recalled last January when we needed a midfielder and money has been spent recruiting Lansbury rather than offering him a deal. As you say, the club could find the funds if they were suitably motivated to do so. 

My annoyance with Walsh is that I fear we'll just never know how he would have done here. 

Ashton had already said, before Lansbury came in and before Holden was sacked, we'd only offered a contract to Fam and nobody else. It's nothing to do with the change of manager. 

I think you will find it has everything to do with the Head Coach situation....Holden was a stop-gap until we got back to normality of the club generating income

Just now, Loosey Boy said:

I think you will find it has everything to do with the Head Coach situation....Holden was a stop-gap until we got back to normality of the club generating income

I think you will find you have absolutely no material facts to back up that assertion and are just speculating whilst pretending to be in possession of facts. 

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Liam walsh would not improve this team. 

You're Liam walsh love in, is nearly as boring as you're obsession with LJ. 

Just now, Spoons said:

At this moment in time, Liam Gallagher would improve this team.

With Walsh, we just don't know. I think there is every reason to want to see if he could offer more than Palmer, Paterson or Lansbury, based off their current performances. 

18 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

There has been huge cock ups over the creative midfield role, palmer pato smodicz walsh and the only one scoring goals is smodicz. No doubt posh will sell him for about 10 mil in 12 months time. Unfortunately no one will tell you the decision makers but it's been a total clusterfuvk

13 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Gregor has just posted this on twitter:

So it seems like we are getting closer to finding out what he can do for us this season. 

I'm already looking forward to his cameo performance deep into injury time on last game of the season.

27 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

The complexity of the current FFP uncertainty means that by the Summer that might actually be a financially rational view- whereas if somehow we bumped up the wages of players and it took us over £39m in March submissions we might have a problem.

It's counterintuitive but "well within"- well with Player Sales and how much of Covid losses can be excluded this March for clubs in-season Assessment? There are a range of financial issues and variables- was planning to make a thread on the latest at Championship level but it's perhaps not the right time...

12 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I also have an obsession with ‘your’ and ‘you’re’, but that’d probably bore you as much as it apparently did in English all those years ago. 

PS, he would. 

29 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I would rather a new manager who knows his football makes a decision on Walsh rather than Holden or now his rubbish coaches. 

The problem as with Sam Szmodics is we just don't know how well he can adapt in the Championship.

Based on his performances for us, would anyone think Sammy would be tearing in up for us?

You could also say the same about Matty Taylor.

I think we are right to see if he can cut it - but time is running out, so this is a massive risk that we won't take for another Manager right now. Inevitably this means he'll leave. Another one that got away.

27 minutes ago, Flagon said:

I'm already looking forward to his cameo performance deep into injury time on last game of the season.

It's the dying seconds of the game. Walsh has been on for 5 minutes. The last substitute as a final roll of the dice. If City can't salvage a point they're down and it looks like the decision by Mark Ashton to appoint Nahki Wells as player manager was a mistake. 

With almost the last kick of the game, Lansbury smacks another massively inaccurate ball across the pitch, towards the corner flag. 

Incredibly however, Liam Walsh, who had bent over to tie his boot lace, stands up at exactly the right moment. Lansbury's ball smacks Walsh in the back of the head, loops up and over the advancing opposition keeper and into the back of the net. 

Amazingly, City's first shot on target for 6 games is enough for them to see out a 1-1 draw and the point ensures survival for another season. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

It's the dying seconds of the game. Walsh has been on for 5 minutes. The last substitute as a final roll of the dice. If City can't salvage a point they're down and it looks like the decision by Mark Ashton to appoint Nahki Wells as player manager was a mistake. 

With almost the last kick of the game, Lansbury smacks another massively inaccurate ball across the pitch, towards the corner flag. 

Incredibly however, Liam Walsh, who had bent over to tie his boot lace, stands up at exactly the right moment. Lansbury's ball smacks Walsh in the back of the head, loops up and over the advancing opposition keeper and into the back of the net. 

Amazingly, City's first shot on target for 6 games is enough for them to see out a 1-1 draw and the point ensures survival for another season. 

Haha, I'll take it.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Basically Mark Ashton stuffed up to the Sky Commentator (either on purpose or not) and then on 20Man.  He’s basically given mixed messages, and as a CEO you can’t do that.

Imagine the players, well annoyed with MA, now SL says there’s money there for the new boss to restructure.

Not very well joined up is it?

2 hours ago, Spoons said:

We havent seen liam walsh play for us in 18 months, but to be quite honest, how you can say he wouldnt improve this disgrace of a team is beyond me. He might do. He might not, but there is clearly no 100 percent guarantee of either

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

The problem as with Sam Szmodics is we just don't know how well he can adapt in the Championship.

Based on his performances for us, would anyone think Sammy would be tearing in up for us?

I think we are right to see if he can cut it - but time is running out, so this is a massive risk that we won't take for another Manager right now. Inevitably this means he'll leave. Another one that got away.

Thing is we played Matty where Sam should’ve been and should’ve played Matty where Fam is

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Bit less of a stretch.

Walsh looked good in a team that won the L1 title. 

Szmodics looked good in a team that finished 8th in L2. 

16 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Taylor is a league 1 footballer, and szmodics has played about half an hour in the championship because we preferred people like odowda. 

Taylor was played outta position, Sammy looked good in pre season, o’dowda could’ve been on the wing and they could’ve played together, tho he was the worst out the lot and like you said Sam only played about half an hour

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

We need to sort out Louis Britton's contract too. with West Brom sniffing around.........WTF does Ashton do all day? Apart from count his money?

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I still wonder if Walsh’s tweet when LJ got sacked, has been used against him .

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I would rather a new manager who knows his football makes a decision on Walsh rather than Holden or now his rubbish coaches. 

Same here, I'm not against him, I'm saying her does have to earn it, we can't keep giving players contracts to sit in the physios office, it's taking wages, 

I can understand the club's position on this thats all

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

But we don’t know and that’s the point.

Was outstanding last season, so why wouldn’t we want to see what he can do for us when fit?

Archived