IGNORED

Finances there for new head coach, but Liam Walsh not offered contract.

Fordy62

4 minutes ago, 054123 said:

But we don’t know and that’s the point.

Was outstanding last season, so why wouldn’t we want to see what he can do for us when fit?

I don't think he is the right type of midfielder to help us. We desperately need someone physical in midfield and another one in defence.

Mawson or Baker were those people in defence and we are clearly missing them. We simply haven't had any strength in midfield since Smith started getting injured and I question his ability in that role at the top end of the championship anyway. That's why we get bullied in every game. 

19 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

What did he tweet? I can’t remember 

He just tweeted a smiley face ? 

Which told us all how he felt.

Ive wondered for a longtime if possibly Holden held that against him, simply because he was LJ’s assistant.

My thoughts have been that there is more than a long term injury why he hasn’t been involved.

7 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Ive wondered for a longtime if possibly Holden held that against him, simply because he was LJ’s assistant.

My thoughts have been that there is more than a long term injury why he hasn’t been involved.

Yeah I feel that, but football there’s no such thing as loyalty, if he’s good enough, fit enough, can improve us enough, play him

10 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Would be a bit strange , as a few weeks later Holden was stating that Walsh was integral to his plans 

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

This has been troubling me somewhat. SL was very clear that we’re well within FFP, but Ashton has told us that we’ve not yet offered Liam Walsh a contract for financial reasons.

Im not claiming he’s the messiah, but we saw from his POTS performances at Cov that he’s capable of making things happen in midfield. He’s exactly that we need. 

So how can there be backing for the new coach, but insufficient funding to offer Walsh a new contract?

Bollock to Paterson and even to Hunt. Hell I’d even let Weimann go... but for goodness sake sort it out. 

If he doesn’t want to sign, that’s a whole different matter, but I like to think I’ve been fairly accurate in predicting Ayling, Freeman and Smith would be big regrets and I’m telling you now, Liam Walsh is the next. 

For once we agree, I cannot believe he hasn’t been offered a new contract yet. Very high hopes for Walsh. 

On a slight disagreement, I don’t think we ever need to regret letting Freeman go. 

43 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I doubt he held it against him at all due to the fact he has been injured all season

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

This has been troubling me somewhat. SL was very clear that we’re well within FFP, but Ashton has told us that we’ve not yet offered Liam Walsh a contract for financial reasons.

Im not claiming he’s the messiah, but we saw from his POTS performances at Cov that he’s capable of making things happen in midfield. He’s exactly that we need. 

So how can there be backing for the new coach, but insufficient funding to offer Walsh a new contract?

Bollock to Paterson and even to Hunt. Hell I’d even let Weimann go... but for goodness sake sort it out. 

If he doesn’t want to sign, that’s a whole different matter, but I like to think I’ve been fairly accurate in predicting Ayling, Freeman and Smith would be big regrets and I’m telling you now, Liam Walsh is the next. 

He has an injury that's reoccurring and doesn't look great so why offer him a new contract??? He may have been decent in Div1 but if we are lucky enough to avoid the drop he's certainly NOT what we need.... 

8 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

It's the dying seconds of the game. Walsh has been on for 5 minutes. The last substitute as a final roll of the dice. If City can't salvage a point they're down and it looks like the decision by Mark Ashton to appoint Nahki Wells as player manager was a mistake. 

With almost the last kick of the game, Lansbury smacks another massively inaccurate ball across the pitch, towards the corner flag. 

Incredibly however, Liam Walsh, who had bent over to tie his boot lace, stands up at exactly the right moment. Lansbury's ball smacks Walsh in the back of the head, loops up and over the advancing opposition keeper and into the back of the net. 

Amazingly, City's first shot on target for 6 games is enough for them to see out a 1-1 draw and the point ensures survival for another season. 

You are thinking of Scott Sterling - see 2M35secs (or enjoy the whole clip).

10 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

You have enough on your plate fronting the call for every Head Coach sacking, leave players contracts to someone else.

10 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Strange how he’s fit to play again within a few days of Holden leaving.

If he was fit to play he wouldn't be playing his first game of football since July on Tuesday, the same as Williams wasn't fit until recently,

There is not some grand conspiracy here the lad had a really bad injury 

On 20/02/2021 at 19:13, Fordy62 said:

Maybe he's just crap

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Gregor thinks Walsh is keen to stay. Suggests a Walsh and Williams partnership next season.

It is something we would have seen this season under Holden.

Hopefully he impresses Nigel and is offered a new deal. You'd think Walsh and Williams playing in the same youth team for a good 10 years, they would have built up a good understanding. 

Shame we never got to see it this season. I know none of us know how good Walsh will be at this level. But the style of player he is, if he is a success then he will be one fans love to watch I'm sure.

Discussions have started with some players. No idea which ones and how many. 

Maybe it was one of those injuries that could go/have gone either way.

We saw this with Christan Riberio, renewing potential that just happened to have all the ability but was made of glass.

If it turned out that Walsh has/had an injury that lasted for another 12 months, there would be posters on here calling out the club for wasting money and the lad stealing a living.

32 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Maybe it was one of those injuries that could go/have gone either way.

We saw this with Christan Riberio, renewing potential that just happened to have all the ability but was made of glass.

If it turned out that Walsh has/had an injury that lasted for another 12 months, there would be posters on here calling out the club for wasting money and the lad stealing a living.

Nail on head.

Bit stupid to offer a contract to a player with a long term injury.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Gregor thinks Walsh is keen to stay. Suggests a Walsh and Williams partnership next season.

It is something we would have seen this season under Holden.

Hopefully he impresses Nigel and is offered a new deal. You'd think Walsh and Williams playing in the same youth team for a good 10 years, they would have built up a good understanding. 

Shame we never got to see it this season. I know none of us know how good Walsh will be at this level. But the style of player he is, if he is a success then he will be one fans love to watch I'm sure.

That fact he was given the number 8 shirt suggests he was firmly in Holden’s plans this season. He even said Walsh had a big part to play this year before the news broke out on his injury.

I’ve been impressed with Bakinson and Nagy at times this season but the thought of Williams and Walsh in our midfield excites me. Much needed bite in there from two scousers, something we’ve missed when trying to get a foothold of a game.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Discussions have started with some players. No idea which ones and how many. 

I'm not so sure anymore about the Fam situation Dave, I feel he's had plenty of opportunities to prove his worth, which he obviously can do when he feels like it, he's just not consistent. Maybe NP is the man to get the best out of him on a more consistent basis, your thoughts please mate :worship2:.

image.png.efe2485b074975d6f13731c14173fbda.png

Looking for quotes, no quotes. Bristol City are confident, nothing from the players side. And previous discussions indicated he's "keen" to remain. That's not the strongest worded statement here.

Don't worry guys Walsh's contract should happen in the next few days....

17 minutes ago, bpexile said:

I'm not so sure anymore about the Fam situation Dave, I feel he's had plenty of opportunities to prove his worth, which he obviously can do when he feels like it, he's just not consistent. Maybe NP is the man to get the best out of him on a more consistent basis, your thoughts please mate :worship2:.

Until the latest news that NP gave that they’ve started to hold conversations with some players, Fam was the only player to have been offered a new deal (according to MA), and he’d not signed it.  A bloody good contract too.  Totally his prerogative to sign it or not.

I still think the revelations from MA might’ve caused a bit of disharmony in the camp, especially with some of the subsequent poor performances from Fam.  I can’t see Fam risking injury for the cause either.  MA / SL’s “we’ll get our value on the pitch” looks seriously misguided.

I’d have dropped Fam from the squad.  I know loads will disagree with me, but that’s me, I’m quite principled on things like that.  Then again, I’d have probably given him a deadline....sign it by the 3rd week of the window or else we are gonna have to leave you out, or go and find another club if you can.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Until the latest news that NP gave that they’ve started to hold conversations with some players, Fam was the only player to have been offered a new deal (according to MA), and he’d not signed it.  A bloody good contract too.  Totally his prerogative to sign it or not.

I still think the revelations from MA might’ve caused a bit of disharmony in the camp, especially with some of the subsequent poor performances from Fam.  I can’t see Fam risking injury for the cause either.  MA / SL’s “we’ll get our value on the pitch” looks seriously misguided.

I’d have dropped Fam from the squad.  I know loads will disagree with me, but that’s me, I’m quite principled on things like that.  Then again, I’d have probably given him a deadline....sign it by the 3rd week of the window or else we are gonna have to leave you out, or go and find another club if you can.

Was he the only one because he could (and had probably indicated that he wanted to) speak to foreign clubs from January?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My thoughts exactly on dropping Fam from the squad, I was always taught to maintain a good work ethic regardless of the job & imo it doesn't leave a good impression on the remaining players in the squad to see a player regularly selected without giving his all.

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Was he the only one because he could (and had probably indicated that he wanted to) speak to foreign clubs from January?

Theoretically they could all speak to to non-English league clubs in January, but I know what you’re saying.  Can’t imagine Hunt going abroad, but then Celtic or Rangers came in for him or any of the other OOC players to sign a pre-contract.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Theoretically they could all speak to to non-English league clubs in January, but I know what you’re saying.  Can’t imagine Hunt going abroad, but then Celtic or Rangers came in for him or any of the other OOC players to sign a pre-contract.

True. I presume though, that any such contact would involve the club and if it was someone we were keen on keeping then we could offer a new contract there and then if we wanted to. I strongly suspect Fam had indicated that an overseas club(s) wanted to talk to him hence the offer.

45 minutes ago, Prinny said:

image.png.efe2485b074975d6f13731c14173fbda.png

Looking for quotes, no quotes. Bristol City are confident, nothing from the players side. And previous discussions indicated he's "keen" to remain. That's not the strongest worded statement here.

Don't worry guys Walsh's contract should happen in the next few days....

Bloody hell, did the Post employ Tim Vine to introduce more puns to their copy?

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

True. I presume though, that any such contact would involve the club and if it was someone we were keen on keeping then we could offer a new contract there and then if we wanted to. I strongly suspect Fam had indicated that an overseas club(s) wanted to talk to him hence the offer.

Yes, of course we could’ve made a counter-offer.

Re Fam, contract offers were made going back to the summer, it wasn’t just a January thing, as far as we’ve been told.  Imho, he (and his representatives) has strung us along, whilst he touted himself around.  The rumour is Ashton tried to sell him in the summer because he knew Fam had no intention of signing, but COVID meant they couldn’t get enough for him.

We are now left in a shitty position.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, of course we could’ve made a counter-offer.

Re Fam, contract offers were made going back to the summer, it wasn’t just a January thing, as far as we’ve been told.  Imho, he (and his representatives) has strung us along, whilst he touted himself around.  The rumour is Ashton tried to sell him in the summer because he knew Fam had no intention of signing, but COVID meant they couldn’t get enough for him.

We are now left in a shitty position.

To start, I like Fam but ......

After seeing him this season, more with his partnerships than what he has brought, I'd be tempted to start looking elsewhere. He may get more than we offered, in which case , cheers, seeyah ! But I'm not sure that money for an in and out, 13 goal a year player will be there come the summer. Maybe be on the look out for a pacy young striker from lower Leagues or even loan.
Effectively the money we had invested in him has gone, a new deal will still leave little or no value come the end of it, and is he really the best use of that amount of wages? IMO I would say no. 
There is a chance he may come back looking for that contract, in which case great, but I would give him nowhere near what was suggested. If he stays now, has to be on (at best) the same deal he has currently. 

Archived