IGNORED

Liam Walsh - U23's Tuesday vs Cardiff

Lrrr

2 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Walsh not in todays U23 squad. Don't think he was in the "Failand Uncut" video either. Injured again?

That’d be my reading. 

Listening to Pearson when talking about Weimann etc, he was clear he won’t rush people back - and there isn’t an immediate need for Walsh vs Bournemouth. Therefore, I’d have thought he’d have been in the U23s to continue his recovery unless he’s had a setback

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

One piece of good news!

Has GMac been living under a stone for the last week?

Possibly, as he posted that 10 days ago...

52 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That’d be my reading. 

Listening to Pearson when talking about Weimann etc, he was clear he won’t rush people back - and there isn’t an immediate need for Walsh vs Bournemouth. Therefore, I’d have thought he’d have been in the U23s to continue his recovery unless he’s had a setback

Possibly, as he posted that 10 days ago...

It makes you wonder what on earth Holden and the coaches were thinking when sticking Paterson, Lansbury and Williams into the side when they clearly weren't fit.  You would hope we don't start a player until they've completed 90 minutes for the under 23s. This really isn't difficult. It's just common sense.  

26 minutes ago, The Bard said:

It makes you wonder what on earth Holden and the coaches were thinking when sticking Paterson, Lansbury and Williams into the side when they clearly weren't fit.  You would hope we don't start a player until they've completed 90 minutes for the under 23s. This really isn't difficult. It's just common sense.  

What happens if the medical team say they’re fit, and / or player agrees too?  We honestly don’t know that they were clearly unfit though?

I do agree that risking players who aren’t fully fit is stupid.

35 minutes ago, The Bard said:

This is what happens when you put idiots in charge. 

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

The same level of thinking that caused us to acquire Brunt, and THEN acquire Lansbury!

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting that NP seems to be very cautious with returning players, and in the presser said there’s a big difference between being back on the grass and being fit to play.

19 minutes ago, bcfcbulgaria said:

Makes you wonder if the lack of cautiousness resulted in further complications with the players such as Mawson, Williams and Pato to name a few?

I do wonder if the situation left Holden feeling he needed to risk players fitness. Experience shouldn't make a difference, being a player he should know what the dangers are, but in his first job and on a really poor run?  Yes, player may have said he was fit, medical team may have said the same. But that bit where Pearson mentioned being fit to play was telling.

20 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Yes and that’s the only time we see him in that video...

Weimann, Baker, O’Dowda and even Watkins got plenty of airtime there. Nothing on Walsh...

I also wondered why. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting that NP seems to be very cautious with returning players, and in the presser said there’s a big difference between being back on the grass and being fit to play.

That’s not rocket science - surely?

Like most football fans I’m certain that Big Nige knows better than most what the risk of bringing players back who aren’t  fully match fit prematurely are.

Moving and running on the grass is just the preliminary stage when returning to full fitness but a positive sign nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Like most football fans I’m certain that Big Nige knows better than most what the risk of bringing players back who aren’t  fully match fit prematurely are.

Moving and running on the grass is just the preliminary stage when returning to full fitness but a positive sign nonetheless.

You’d think not.....but there are some on here that can’t get their head around that.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You read biographies or general football books, watch Documentaries etc. The health of players has been secondary for years. That's why in later life so many had problems, playing with injections was common place. Playing with injuries wasn't just encouraged it was expected. Much better now, but as I said, the situation may colour managers judgement .

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You read biographies or general football books, watch Documentaries etc. The health of players has been secondary for years. That's why in later life so many had problems, playing with injections was common place. Playing with injuries wasn't just encouraged it was expected. Much better now, but as I said, the situation may colour managers judgement .

That was certainly true back then and fairly common place no doubt during Big Nige’s playing career but like most modern managers he’ll know that it’s a no no these days.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That was certainly true back then and fairly common place no doubt during Big Nige’s playing career but like most modern managers he’ll know that it’s a no no these days.

I was sort of thinking more to Holden and playing Williams twice, bringing Paterson in with no warm up games etc.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I wasn’t aware of either example.

I think I'm right in saying, Williams had about 60 minutes for the U23's, then played Vs Cardiff and again against Sheff U. a few days later. Been out 6 months, not sure why he was needed Vs Sheff U. Paterson had been out for 2 months TBF , he did get a couple of 30 minutes as sub, but then started 3 games . You have to question whether it was too much after a lay off.
Rowe was another , and I know he declared himself fit. But to then lose him for the season, remembering he was our only available left back, looks negligent .

40 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I was sort of thinking more to Holden and playing Williams twice, bringing Paterson in with no warm up games etc.

Add Sess to that “rushed back not fully fit” list too.

Luckily he’s been managed since that Reading game.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I think I'm right in saying, Williams had about 60 minutes for the U23's, then played Vs Cardiff and again against Sheff U. a few days later. Been out 6 months, not sure why he was needed Vs Sheff U. Paterson had been out for 2 months TBF , he did get a couple of 30 minutes as sub, but then started 3 games . You have to question whether it was too much after a lay off.
Rowe was another , and I know he declared himself fit. But to then lose him for the season, remembering he was our only available left back, looks negligent .

These examples are clearly at least one contributing factor to the jury list City have had - and to me anyway ‘suggests’ that Deano was at least partially to blame.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

These examples are clearly at least one contributing factor to the jury list City have had - and to me anyway ‘suggests’ that Deano was at least partially to blame.

Like I said earlier, he may have felt a lot of pressure because of our poor run. Under pressure people make poor choices. I don't think it helps when you have players like Walsh who has had at least 2 false starts, club says "back on grass" only for him to continue to be injured.JD seems to have his problem missed completely.  Then you have the players who's injuries can't be blamed on anything, but have still meant pressure building, Weimann and original injuries to Sess and Mawson. 
You can imagine Holden, struggling to put out a balanced team may have just thought the risk was worth it.

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Like I said earlier, he may have felt a lot of pressure because of our poor run. Under pressure people make poor choices. I don't think it helps when you have players like Walsh who has had at least 2 false starts, club says "back on grass" only for him to continue to be injured.JD seems to have his problem missed completely.  Then you have the players who's injuries can't be blamed on anything, but have still meant pressure building, Weimann and original injuries to Sess and Mawson. 
You can imagine Holden, struggling to put out a balanced team may have just thought the risk was worth it.

Yep & despite what some think these people aren’t fools, Holden probably knew he was on very thin ice so gambled on the fitness of Williams, Paterson & Sessegnon possibly hoping it might save his job.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yep & despite what some think these people aren’t fools, Holden probably knew he was on very thin ice so gambled on the fitness of Williams, Paterson & Sessegnon possibly hoping it might save his job.

Yeah, I think you and 1960maan are both spot on. At least now we have a manager who hopefully won’t be under the same pressure as Deano was.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You’d think not.....but there are some on here that can’t get their head around that.

It is pretty simple when you think about it you would of thought,This has been city's issue for a while players might be back on the grass kicking a ball doing warm up's etc etc but the overall fitness to play is a different matter we've not had a eleven that are fit enough to play on a consistent basis which infact effect's overall results and confidence.

41 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

45 mins then 65 mins the following week, seemingly it could have been the two quick first team games that may have done it

Just now, Lrrr said:

45 mins then 65 mins the following week, seemingly it could have been the two quick first team games that may have done it

Yep. More annoying that the 2nd was a Cup game, nice if you win, but in the grand scheme of things not vitally important .

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Yep. More annoying that the 2nd was a Cup game, nice if you win, but in the grand scheme of things not vitally important .

I can see why Williams was played though he'd come through 45, 65 and 60 before the game he got injured in, he got injured around 55 mins so could have been a case he was due to come off in 5 minutes when it happened. Only those involved with his recovery will know the real story of how ready he was.

Archived