IGNORED

Bruno Lage

Northern Cider Ed

Just been added into skybets manager market at 16-1. 

I love seeing the random unknown managers entering the betting. Theres often no smoke without fire so worth seeing if his odds start moving

Wikipedia tells me he is a 44 year old Portugese chap who was carlos carvahlos assistant at swansea and sheff wed. He managed benfica for two and a bit seasons. First full season won the league with benficas highest ever points total. Season two didnt go so well and resigned.

16 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

We had a few of these over the summer, usually its just some person whose requested they get added, usually at semi decent odds because a bookie can't always be sure why someones requested they be added

Of course, a bookie isnt going to go to high odds wise on a request. I just love the randomness of it.

A very small city link would be that we signed perrera the right back from benfica whilst he was manager (i think) so ashton would have had dealings with them.

Also has championship experience although as an assistant.

9 hours ago, One Team said:

Interesting I like it when randoms enter the betting.

@Olé must know of him, any good mate? 

Was a youth team coach for a long time and favours youth, but took over the first team (initially as caretaker) and broke all kinds of records (which with the managers and history of Benfica is no mean feat). Did so by bringing in the best young players he knew (and it helped one of them was João Felix) and playing an attacking 4-4-2 with full backs up, anchored by 2 deep central midfielders. 

With that said, hard to know how his football translates at any another club, his was a team where quality and range of passing was second nature and individual skill was high. But he did make adjustments when he took over to re-ignite an out of form side, though personally I think a lot of it had to do with his knowledge of the younger players he brought in and the confidence that gave them.

Went awry in his second season when the best young players had been sold and the attacking 4 didn't have the same quality and understanding, which was key to his style. He was assistant with Carvalhal in England before this so I have often wondered if we'd see him back in the country. He was supposed to be taking over at Villa at the end of last season when they're scraped staying up.

Archived