IGNORED

Glass Half Full!

Red Billy

4 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Nope sorry Bud that plan aint going to work.

If you are young up and coming footballer and you have a chance to go on loan - two calls

☎️ “Hi it’s Dean! Fancy coming on loan?”

☎️ “Hi it’s Frank! Fancy coming on loan?”

Whats your plan?

12 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

So if you are a Cook fan then convert me? I remember going to Chesterfield and watching his team and they looked good but nothing in his CV gives me comfort that he is any better than say Johnson. Change my mind?

I'm another Cook fan but I'll give it a go. Granted I know less about his Chesterfield and Portsmouth days so I'll focus on Wigan

1. Three League titles was it- Chesterfield and Portsmouth League Two, Wigan League One.
  2. In the case of the latter, not only did he get Wigan there but be kept them there twice.
  3. Their admin was a complete freak event- new owner took over and just put them in- no way can he be blamed for that. Yet they seemed to be galvanised further, actually their form in 2nd half of season was Top 6 worthy.
  4. They were quite good to watch. Especially when the results were following but even without.
  5. Can buy players for X, seek to develop them and sell for Y. Notable examples of this.
  6. He has good tactical sense, is fairly pro 4-2-3-1 but suspect he would change if required.
  7. He actually improved Wigan last season despite losing a player of the calibre of Nick Powell on a free to Stoke.
  8. If you watch an interview with him- it's 50 mins granted- he seems to have strong integrity.
  9. Would give everyone a lift IMO.

Sure there's more in all honesty but I had some doubts and queries about him a little while back. ie Why no club signed him yet. I no longer have said queries- and at this stage of his career and with straitened Covid budgets I'd take him over e.g. Lampard any day.

Anyone who thinks £4m per year Lampard would come to a championship club after Chelsea let alone one that is in the worst ever form and plummeting down the league with the worst injury list on record has seriously not grasped the proposition that is Bristol City. 

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Cook has won promotion at every club he’s been at. Chesterfield, Pompey, Wigan.

Johnson has never won anything. 

Cook has played good football wherever he’s managed. 

He took 5m budget Wigan to one place below 63m Bristol City last season. Have I remembered these numbers correct @Davefevs? (Been drinking Weston’s vintage!)

He has a brilliant eye for a player. 

There’s a very good post by @Harrywho can convinced better than I (or many) ever could. I’m sure he’s pretty bored of sharing it. 

He also has a relegation from the championship on his cv?

34 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

So we have no manager, we are losing game after game and half our players are out of contract at the end of the season but.............

We get a new manager. We free up spaces for new players and all of sudden it’s looking green in the garden! With fresh faces coming in. Success and failure is a fine line.  However Paul Cook is not the man. His record is underwhelming and I think we waste an opportunity if we employ him.  Right now actually offers one of the best chances we have of making the premier league.

What is underwhelming in Cook's record? He won the league 2 title with both Chesterfield and Pompey, the League 1 title with Wigan and they were relegated from the Championship because of a 12 point deduction.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm another Cook fan but I'll give it a go. Granted I know less about his Chesterfield and Portsmouth days so I'll focus on Wigan

1. Three League titles was it- Chesterfield and Portsmouth League Two, Wigan League One.
  2. In the case of the latter, not only did he get Wigan there but be kept them there twice.
  3. Their admin was a complete freak event- new owner took over and just put them in- no way can he be blamed for that. Yet they seemed to be galvanised further, actually their form in 2nd half of season was Top 6 worthy.
  4. They were quite good to watch. Especially when the results were following but even without.
  5. Can buy players for X, seek to develop them and sell for Y. Notable examples of this.
  6. He has good tactical sense, is fairly pro 4-2-3-1 but suspect he would change if required.
  7. He actually improved Wigan last season despite losing a player of the calibre of Nick Powell on a free to Stoke.
  8. If you watch an interview with him- it's 50 mins granted- he seems to have strong integrity.
  9. Would give everyone a lift IMO.

Sure there's more in all honesty but I had some doubts and queries about him a little while back. ie Why no club signed him yet. I no longer have said queries- and at this stage of his career and with straitened Covid budgets I'd take him over e.g. Lampard any day.

I’ll take a look at the interview. He does have a relegation from championship on his cv? Not saying I wouldn’t go for him but he’s not my first choice as I think Frank would bring us more opportunities but wouldn’t be disappointed if he were to get it. Thanks @Mr Popodopolous

39 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

So we have no manager, we are losing game after game and half our players are out of contract at the end of the season but.............

We get a new manager. We free up spaces for new players and all of sudden it’s looking green in the garden! With fresh faces coming in. Success and failure is a fine line.  However Paul Cook is not the man. His record is underwhelming and I think we waste an opportunity if we employ him.  Right now actually offers one of the best chances we have of making the premier league.

How can you say his record is “underwhelming”, when he has won more than our last dozen managers put together? 

Just now, Red Billy said:

I’ll take a look at the interview. He does have a relegation from championship on his cv? Not saying I wouldn’t go for him but he’s not my first choice as I think Frank would bring us more opportunities but wouldn’t be disappointed if he were to get it. Thanks @Mr Popodopolous

You seriously think Lampard would come here ?

(Not that I’d fancy him anyway)

?

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

You seriously think Lampard would come here ?

(Not that I’d fancy him anyway)

?

Not sure- it’s not really about who comes to be fair - that’s not the point I’m trying to make. The point is that whoever does get the job be it Frank, Cook or Appleton had a chance to build a team with so many players departing!

Just now, Red Billy said:

Not sure- it’s not really about who comes to be fair - that’s not the point I’m trying to make. The point is that whoever does get the job be it Frank, Cook or Appleton had a chance to build a team with so many players departing!

Fine,  IF it’s the right man and IF we are in the Championship

Thats two big ‘ifs’

Not so bright if we are in League ONE 

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

Only because of a points deduction, and he nearly managed them out of that.

Fair point - I’m not trying to suggest who I want as manager. The point I’m trying to make is that be it Cook, Lampard or Appleton who ever comes in had a great chance to clear out the dead wood and bring in new players! Hence glass half full!

Just now, Sheltons Army said:

Fine,  IF it’s the right man and IF we are in the Championship

Thats two big ‘ifs’

Not so bright if we are in League ONE 

That’s why we need to act with greater speed than last summer! Six weeks will be too long!

11 minutes ago, Richard Head said:

What is underwhelming in Cook's record? He won the league 2 title with both Chesterfield and Pompey, the League 1 title with Wigan and they were relegated from the Championship because of a 12 point deduction.

It’s not proven success any greater than Johnson at this level. But don’t get me wrong I’m not opposed to him getting the role. My point is that if he does get it then he has a great chance to clear out the dead wood and bring in his own players. Hence my glass being half full.  

51 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

At this rate we may not be in the Championship. 7 consecutive losses, no manager, no sign of anything turning around and only 10 points above relegation having got most of our points early in the season.

also I'd just like to point out that over the past 10 games we are actually dead bottom of the form table

table.png

1 minute ago, Spike said:

At this rate we may not be in the Championship. 7 consecutive losses, no manager, no sign of anything turning around and only 10 points above relegation having got most of our points early in the season.

also I'd just like to point out that over the past 10 games we are actually dead bottom of the form table

table.png

Why we have to move quicker than the six weeks it took last time!

48 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

:laugh:! Think back to when McInnes was here. He wanted to overhaul the squad but inherited a lot of shit players on long contracts. At least who ever comes in now has a chance to freshen up the squad.

He also gave some shit players longer contracts and brought in some right dross.

Hopefully we recruit someone who knows this division and how to get out of it.

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

Bill, drunk as a skunk. Off his head. Away with the fairies, in cloud cuckooland. This ****** football club gets to us all in the end, one way or another. 

? Actual sober for a change!

I live in hope that this time the right decision by the board will be made! Whoever that will be.... I don’t pretend to have the answers! But whoever comes in has a chance to rebuild the squad in that we have players out of contract departing and scope within financial fair play to recruit new players in. If the board get the next appointment right there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic!

3 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

? Actual sober for a change!

I live in hope that this time the right decision by the board will be made! Whoever that will be.... I don’t pretend to have the answers! But whoever comes in has a chance to rebuild the squad in that we have players out of contract departing and scope within financial fair play to recruit new players in. If the board get the next appointment right there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic!

?

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Bill, drunk as a skunk. Off his head. Away with the fairies, in cloud cuckooland. This ****** football club gets to us all in the end, one way or another. 

Hahahaha.

That reminded of a football tour to Amsterdam many years ago.

We were in some bar in Dam Square and this bloke made a  similar exit from his bar stool.

When he managed to get up we complimented him on his recovery.

He explained to us it was all about his S.A.S Training.

57 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Cook has won promotion at every club he’s been at. Chesterfield, Pompey, Wigan.

Johnson has never won anything. 

Cook has played good football wherever he’s managed. 

He took 5m budget Wigan to one place below 63m Bristol City last season. Have I remembered these numbers correct @Davefevs? (Been drinking Weston’s vintage!)

He has a brilliant eye for a player. 

There’s a very good post by @Harrywho can convinced better than I (or many) ever could. I’m sure he’s pretty bored of sharing it. 

In fairness the £5m was their Lg1 promotion season. But it won’t have been more than £20m last season (a third of ours).

32 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He also gave some shit players longer contracts and brought in some right dross.

Hopefully we recruit someone who knows this division and how to get out of it.

....and who was the consultant brought in during that period to build the recruitment team and database?

....Mark Ashton.

12 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

I think even if they annouced pep jose or kloppy lad i dont see any of them turning this pile of steaming horse shyte round how the hell have we got ourselfs in such a mess

Spot on. We can go back 5 years, when SC was sacked we should have bought in a tried and tested manager with a game plan and a toughness.

Instead SL bought his mate in, who wouldn’t have got a job anywhere else in the Championship. He had no reason whatsoever to bring LJ to City, other than he knew him.

Why are we always the ‘experiment’ club?, no one else tries to be clever, they try and get the right man for the job at the right time, it doesn’t always work out, but Bristol City seem to always be gambling when naming a manager.

We can not waste 6 weeks this time, we have already wasted the last 5 years, imagine where we could be if the right manager came in back then.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....and who was the consultant brought in during that period to build the recruitment team and database?

....Mark Ashton.

Ashton obviously didn't have the influence that he has now as CEO.

McInnes was purely a mistake - one of many.

Archived