IGNORED

Operation fresh start Keep/Go

Dredd

Ok so there’s a significant amount of players OOC in the summer but I think the whole squad needs a massive shake up. So putting contracts aside for a second, who would you keep and who would you let go in order for a new coach to build something?

For me (not including the youth prospects):

Bentley, O’Leary, Kalas, Dasilva, Vyner, Bakinson, HNM, Williams, Walsh, Semenyo - Keep

The rest let them go or sell. Some real tough decisions there with players like Weimann, Paterson, Moore but that is incentive enough to a new coach in saying we believe in you to build a team. 

For me this is akin to the rebuild and clear out that SOD did. We just need to avoid getting relegated this time

I’d say we should look at keeping one of Paterson and Weimann. Not fussed with who but they can drive a championship team forward. They have their flaws but we will need some experience in forward areas with a lot of good youth attackers vying for the first team. 

But yes, this is a great opportunity for a good manager to get what he wants from the start, if he can keep us up. Think there will be a lot of movement in the free transfer market this summer. So hopefully we can get some decent replacements for no fees. 

3 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Ok so there’s a significant amount of players OOC in the summer but I think the whole squad needs a massive shake up. So putting contracts aside for a second, who would you keep and who would you let go in order for a new coach to build something?

Bentley, O’Leary, Kalas, Dasilva, Vyner, Bakinson, HNM, Williams, Walsh, Semenyo - Keep

The rest let them go or sell. Some real tough decisions there with players like Weimann, Paterson, Moore but that is incentive enough to a new coach in saying we believe in you to build a team. 

For me this is akin to the rebuild and clear out that SOD did. We just need to avoid getting relegated this time

There is a chance to overhaul and rebuild the squad. I would also look at the coaching structure too. I certainly hope Gilmartin performs better as a coach than he does on Robins tv!!

Regarding the squad I’m with you. There aren’t many worth keeping. For me letting Paterson go is not a hard decision. One of the easiest of the lot. Weimann could be a useful squad player so that would be more difficult a decision given his versatility but I would still move him on.

Taylor Moore unlikely to be going anywhere as signed a 3 year deal last year.

We have a plus 1 option on Weimann's contract which will probably be at existing wage levels.  He would be one of our highest earners with a question mark over fitness so I am not too sure on that one.

I would keep Well's and hopefully a new manager could get him firing.  If we sold him we would no doubt have to take a loss anyway!

I would also give Tommy Rowe a new contract, unlikely to be too expensive and has never let us down.

Otherwise agree with the opening post.  Does leave us with some big gaps to fill in the squad! 

I think

Keep

Bentley

O'Leary

Wollacott

Dasilva

Pring

Vyner

Kalas

Towler

Massengo

Nagy

Williams

Walsh

Bakinson

Edwards

Edwards

Semenyo

Martin

Janneh

Bell

Put on notice to improve or be transfer listed

Moore

Keep if proves fitness

Weimann

Move on if there is a buyer (but I suspect there may not be)b

O'Dowda

Palmer

Wells

Move on at end of contract/loan

Hunt

Rowe

Sessegnon

Baker

Mawson

Mariappa

Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Watkins

Hinds

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think

Keep

Bentley

O'Leary

Wollacott

Dasilva

Pring

Vyner

Kalas

Towler

Massengo

Nagy

Williams

Walsh

Bakinson

Edwards

Edwards

Semenyo

Martin

Janneh

Bell

Moore

Keep if proves fitness

Weimann

O'Dowda

Palmer

Wells

Hunt

Rowe

Sessegnon

Baker

Mawson

Mariappa

Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Watkins

Hinds

Seems fair. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think

Keep

Bentley

O'Leary

Wollacott

Dasilva

Pring

Vyner

Kalas

Towler

Massengo

Nagy

Williams

Walsh

Bakinson

Edwards

Edwards

Semenyo

Martin

Janneh

Bell

Moore

Keep if proves fitness

Weimann

O'Dowda

Palmer

Wells

Hunt

Rowe

Sessegnon

Baker

Mawson

Mariappa

Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Watkins

Hinds

Nailed it. My thoughts exactly.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think

Keep

Bentley

O'Leary

Wollacott

Dasilva

Pring

Vyner

Kalas

Towler

Massengo

Nagy

Williams

Walsh

Bakinson

Edwards

Edwards

Semenyo

Martin

Janneh

Bell

Moore

Keep if proves fitness

Weimann

O'Dowda

Palmer

Wells

Hunt

Rowe

Sessegnon

Baker

Mawson

Mariappa

Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Watkins

Hinds

The only thing I'd change in this list is retaining Rowe. He works hard, seems to be a great example to the younger players and can fit a variety of positions. 

Other than that it's very difficult to argue with anything else on your list. 

Think we just need a complete reshuffle of the club from top to bottom.
A DoF and an experienced manager for one. Our squad isn’t that bad but they’re all too comfy and some out of contract players to me it seems to me they’re just waiting for the end of the season (Ashton’s fault for leaving too late) 

The injury situation obviously doesn’t help as if we had more players we have a lot more option coming off the bench and starting shape. And a change of the medical department is a must. 

coaching also needs to improve and get better as our football is absolutely appalling. An experience coach brings that. 

a foundation next season of Bentley, Kalas, Dasilva, Williams, Walsh and maybe Weimann will put us in good stead however the rest I’m not too sure on. Lansdown mentioned a lot of room in regards to FFP so maybe the indicates the new coach has abit of wiggle room to get the players he wants so we can kick on. However this new manager needs to come in quick and we’re only getting dragged closer and closer. This week imo and no messing around. However I don’t trust the people in charge one bit. This decision is massive and will have a massive influence on season tickets and the mood of fans returning to Ashton gate when all of this is over

36 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Would sell Nagy i think he's shite 

Is he shite or has he been dragged down somewhat like quite a lot of our signings in recent times?

When we did sign him, he was fairly technically sound. Now he's below Vyner in the pecking order it seems, amongst others. Poor management of him and many but don't see a regular in a respectable/improving International side as being shite.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is he shite or has he been dragged down somewhat like quite a lot of our signings in recent times?

When we did sign him, he was fairly technically sound. Now he's below Vyner in the pecking order it seems, amongst others. Poor management of him and many but don't see a regular in a respectable/improving International side as being shite.

Personally I wouldn’t play Vyner in midfield. He gives the ball away far too much and often in dangerous positions. He’s no bette than Nagy or Bakinson in the position but an improvement on Moore at CB. 

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

Personally I wouldn’t play Vyner in midfield. He gives the ball away far too much and often in dangerous positions. He’s no bette than Nagy or Bakinson in the position but an improvement on Moore at CB. 

Yeah agreed- better than Vyner at CB- of current personnel I'd probably go Bakinson, Nagy, Lansbury- though Massengo does have energy.

3 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

Just a thought, will it not depend on what division we are in, and what the realistic chance of shifting under contract players is?

If we go down then there will be a fire sale. Very few will remain either because they are out of contract or are wanted by clubs playing at a higher level and they won’t want to play in League 1. Think how few remained when we went down last time and the rebuild that SO’D had to do. The only really notable player who stayed that season was Sam Baldock.

3 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

The only thing I'd change in this list is retaining Rowe. He works hard, seems to be a great example to the younger players and can fit a variety of positions. 

Other than that it's very difficult to argue with anything else on your list. 

I'd have no problem if we did keep Rowe. I just wonder how many chances he would get if Pring pushed on and we got our midfield sorted.

3 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Would sell Nagy i think he's shite 

I really want to see how Nagy does under a tactically astute manager. It might prove you are right and he is not the player we'd hoped but I currently see him as someone we've never got the best from and I'd like someone to test just how good if he is if used to full effect before any decision is made to discard him. 

4 hours ago, Dredd said:

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think

Keep

Bentley

O'Leary

Wollacott

Dasilva

Pring

Vyner

Kalas

Towler

Massengo

Nagy

Williams

Walsh

Bakinson

Edwards

Edwards

Semenyo

Martin

Janneh

Bell

Moore

Keep if proves fitness

Weimann

O'Dowda

Palmer

Wells

Hunt

Rowe

Sessegnon

Baker

Mawson

Mariappa

Lansbury

Adelakun

Paterson

Diedhiou

Watkins

Hinds

Decent suggestions. If Peterson and/or Weimann stay, I’d prefer a one year deal, so I guess they’d get the two years elsewhere.

I think Nagy is one of our best players but needs the right partner. Very good addition but not the like for like replacement we required when we sold Pack, who I feel we really miss.

Weimann has been massively missed this season. How we could do with him right now, he would be a massive upgrade both in midfield and up front.

Appreciate the list by @LondonBristolian - and agree with others W e should look at keeping Rowe and Weimann as experienced heads and model pros for the youth players. 

I’d like to see a spine next season built around:

Bentley > Kalas > Williams > Martin

(Although not the youngest, I see Martin as a good focal point for attacks and other players to work around). 

8 hours ago, Xiled said:

We've actually lost our way since Weimann got injured.

I'm not sure he's the answer to our current problems but he was an outlet.

Not only would his running provide a safe forward outlet option for our defence, apart from A.S.'s occasional direct runs, we have no one to panic the opposition defence.

Result, a confident opposition defence and midfield with time on the ball, happy to camp in our half.

He seemed to set the bar in terms of effort and work rate for the rest of the team.

Many seemed not to notice how many goals came as a result of him chasing "lost causes" (Known by some on here as "Pointless running round.") from the half way line.

Even if he didn't win the ball, get a corner etc, it would usually result in a panicked clearance giving us an opportunity out of nothing.

It seems many players, especially our frontline, are now making the most of "That Austrian guy who makes us look bad" not being there, while they take an afternoon stroll. Guys! You still do. You really, really do.

I thought it was obvious without him we would concede more and score even less, however, I didn't imagine to this extent. I expected the within the squad there would be one or two able to step up and provide say 80-85% of his pressure on the opposition between them. Sadly I was very wrong.

Oh the question. - Keep A.W. depending on fitness. 50% should earn a place at the moment.

The others I'll think about when I'm less depressed.

10 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

If we go down then there will be a fire sale. Very few will remain either because they are out of contract or are wanted by clubs playing at a higher level and they won’t want to play in League 1. Think how few remained when we went down last time and the rebuild that SO’D had to do. The only really notable player who stayed that season was Sam Baldock.

Problem is that no sides outside the PL have any cash for transfer fees or wages, we may have to buy up the contracts before some will even consider moving. Assuming we can afford to do that.

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’ve read somewhere Weimann has a one year option we could trigger but am not certain on that...

I think you’re right and that’s all I’d give him personally. I’ve got nothing against him but any 30 year old coming back from a year lay off is a potential problem, as harsh as that sounds.

These forums frustrate me so much sometimes. 

The amount of people who say to get rid of Wells is ridiculous. 

Since he's signed he's not once been used in a system that suits his style of play and as time has gone on he's been pushed out wide when his key abilities are all focused on being central and getting in the mix. 

No wonder this club regrets so many players we let go. We play them out of position, against their strengths, then the fans turn on them and say they're not good enough when it all comes down to the coaching and tactics. There is a reason he was so prolific at QPR and isn't here and it's not down to his ability or attitude, it's down to using him correctly. He should be in the middle, with players who like to put passes into the path of his runs or he should be around the box whilst creative players around him create space so he can move into it. Not once have we done that, not once.

In many ways I hope we do sell him and whoever picks him up does exactly this so our fans can wake up and realise that many of the players are not the issue, it's the bloody "coach" choosing how to use these players! 

Massengo, used in a deep role when his strengths are almost on par with Bobby Reid. He'd be a fantastic little attacking player given the proper chance to be high up the pitch with the freedom to creative those key passes that he has the ability to and chase down from the front where his strength is not an issue as he could be more of a nuisance than a relied on tackler. Instead, we use him as a generic CM where he's too weak, under utilised and to me looks highly frustrated watching others do a bad job where he could shine. 

Moore over Vyner or putting Vyner on midfield too, like what the hell are they thinking?! Moore has that passion that we can't help but love but he's not ready for this level and by putting him in over players who are it's just going to kill his confidence and ruin his relationship with the fans as we're already seeing. He needs time with a leader-type CB who he can learn composure and find tuning his game, instead he's got Kalas, who despite being a fine defender is very much not a teacher/leader. Then you have Vyner being used as a midfielder purely because the coaches can't even identify what's wrong in the middle and think by putting a strong CB in a DM role that it'll fix our lack of strength throughout the starting line ups that they've delivered. 

For me the squad isn't the issue. Yes a few could be let go, certainly if they're unable to maintain fitness, but who knows which players have fitness issues seeing as our medical staff seem to have been hired straight out of the local butchers! 

We have talent in this squad, we're missing a few key players, certainly in the midfield which is showing more than ever now we're playing a formation that doesn't overload the midfield. A few out, a few in (that have the right qualities) and a solid manager, not a coach, and we could turn this around. The only thing preventing that is SL and MA wanting to stick to a coaching set up rather than a management set up. 

I have no doubt we'll hire "an up and coming coach" or a "coach with plenty of experience" rather than the experienced manager that we need. Ashton will continue to sign rough diamonds with no focus on team balance, as he's not a manager and lacks the experience of what a team needs for balance on the pitch. This will lead to more issues whilst injuries continue to pile up as we have so many lightweight players rather than the string, physical ones we're missing and the fans will continue to blame the players who are used incorrectly and lack the type of players they need around them in order to show their true potential. 

I've said it so many times, SL and MA may mean well, they may be incredible with the business side of football too but their ego's in thinking they know better when it comes to football over managers who have done the job or ex players who know the game is what is holding us back. As much as SL loves the club he needs to wake up and realise that a nice guy or a good coach doesn't have the same effect as a boss, a manager, someone who has vision and expertise in how to put a team together and have them play football at a top Championship level! 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I think you’re right and that’s all I’d give him personally. I’ve got nothing against him but any 30 year old coming back from a year lay off is a potential problem, as harsh as that sounds.

I think the other thing is running and energy is a huge part of his game. If he comes back from injury and finds that he can no longer play with the same intensity, it would have a massive effect on the type of player he is. 

40 minutes ago, Spike said:

Since he's signed he's not once been used in a system that suits his style of play and as time has gone on he's been pushed out wide when his key abilities are all focused on being central and getting in the mix. 

No wonder this club regrets so many players we let go. We play them out of position, against their strengths, then the fans turn on them and say they're not good enough when it all comes down to the coaching and tactics. There is a reason he was so prolific at QPR and isn't here and it's not down to his ability or attitude, it's down to using him correctly. He should be in the middle, with players who like to put passes into the path of his runs or he should be around the box whilst creative players around him create space so he can move into it. Not once have we done that, not once.

In many ways I hope we do sell him and whoever picks him up does exactly this so our fans can wake up and realise that many of the players are not the issue, it's the bloody "coach" choosing how to use these players! 

Massengo, used in a deep role when his strengths are almost on par with Bobby Reid. He'd be a fantastic little attacking player given the proper chance to be high up the pitch with the freedom to creative those key passes that he has the ability to and chase down from the front where his strength is not an issue as he could be more of a nuisance than a relied on tackler. Instead, we use him as a generic CM where he's too weak, under utilised and to me looks highly frustrated watching others do a bad job where he could shine. 

Moore over Vyner or putting Vyner on midfield too, like what the hell are they thinking?! Moore has that passion that we can't help but love but he's not ready for this level and by putting him in over players who are it's just going to kill his confidence and ruin his relationship with the fans as we're already seeing. He needs time with a leader-type CB who he can learn composure and find tuning his game, instead he's got Kalas, who despite being a fine defender is very much not a teacher/leader. Then you have Vyner being used as a midfielder purely because the coaches can't even identify what's wrong in the middle and think by putting a strong CB in a DM role that it'll fix our lack of strength throughout the starting line ups that they've delivered. 

For me the squad isn't the issue. Yes a few could be let go, certainly if they're unable to maintain fitness, but who knows which players have fitness issues seeing as our medical staff seem to have been hired straight out of the local butchers! 

We have talent in this squad, we're missing a few key players, certainly in the midfield which is showing more than ever now we're playing a formation that doesn't overload the midfield. A few out, a few in (that have the right qualities) and a solid manager, not a coach, and we could turn this around. The only thing preventing that is SL and MA wanting to stick to a coaching set up rather than a management set up. 

I have no doubt we'll hire "an up and coming coach" or a "coach with plenty of experience" rather than the experienced manager that we need. Ashton will continue to sign rough diamonds with no focus on team balance, as he's not a manager and lacks the experience of what a team needs for balance on the pitch. This will lead to more issues whilst injuries continue to pile up as we have so many lightweight players rather than the string, physical ones we're missing and the fans will continue to blame the players who are used incorrectly and lack the type of players they need around them in order to show their true potential. 

I've said it so many times, SL and MA may mean well, they may be incredible with the business side of football too but their ego's in thinking they know better when it comes to football over managers who have done the job or ex players who know the game is what is holding us back. As much as SL loves the club he needs to wake up and realise that a nice guy or a good coach doesn't have the same effect as a boss, a manager, someone who has vision and expertise in how to put a team together and have them play football at a top Championship level! 

To be honest, I agree with all you say about Wells but it's exactly why I'd get rid of him. He's a good striker when played to his strengths but don't think that playing to his strengths is the best way to get the best out of the rest of his squad. Ultimately I don't think he should have been signed because we didn't have a clear plan to use him.

If the new manager works out a system he wants to play and that's one that gets the best out of Wells and uses him to his strengths, brilliant. But, if Wells continues to not fit the system, I'd rather he move on so he can do well elsewhere rather than continually be used as a square peg in a round hole. 

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’ve read somewhere Weimann has a one year option we could trigger but am not certain on that...

Yes, he does.  Big question will be whether you extend on the terms agreed, or try to re-negotiate.  Woukd be massively helpful if Andi could get back this season and show he’s ok.  If so, no brainer, even on current terms.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

agree.

I know, not once has he been played as the main striker.

but we insist on either playing him out wide (travesty) or as second fiddle to Fam.  But of course he doesn’t smile much, doesn’t live in Knowle, so of course “he doesn’t want to be here”!

he’s even come back into a bit of form of late, but I do think LJ thought, “what a cracking talent, how do I turn him into me”. And I’m being serious.

for a “needs must” one off I’m okay with Vyner, but that’s it.  Job done, back in defence Zak.

two non-football men (they are now football business men) deciding they know best for the football side. Jeez.

that’s where a DoF or true HoR comes into their own.

N.U.T.S.H.E.L.L.

Comments above. ⬆️⬆️⬆️

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be honest, I agree with all you say about Wells but it's exactly why I'd get rid of him. He's a good striker when played to his strengths but don't think that playing to his strengths is the best way to get the best out of the rest of his squad. Ultimately I don't think he should have been signed because we didn't have a clear plan to use him.

If the new manager works out a system he wants to play and that's one that gets the best out of Wells and uses him to his strengths, brilliant. But, if Wells continues to not fit the system, I'd rather he move on so he can do well elsewhere rather than continually be used as a square peg in a round hole. 

I can’t believe we are selecting a striker who doesn’t want to be here over someone contracted to us for another 2+ years.  Brainless.  The value in Diedhiou, has gone, accept it.  Take any contract offers off the table (if they’re still on it) and move on.  Focus on the other players.

Archived